Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Voting A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MJ12 is right, Luthien is going to be like Okinawa with 'mechs. No matter what the players do the clans are going to get hosed up.

Vote for A. (Better yet change your vote from C to A!)

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
I'm voting A just for the hopes of more mechs wearing buildings as armor and lots of collateral damage. I'll never forget the wonders of jump jets+refinery. I want to see it all, but I can only pick one...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MJ12 posted:

Everyone not voting A is a terrible person.

This would be true if A was playing as the 2nd Sword of Light. Anyone considering shooting at Minobu "Minibus Tasty Cakes" Tetsuhara is approximately as bad a person as someone considering shooting at Duncan Fisher. Possibly worse.

Shooting at people AS Minobu Tetsuhara? :hellyeah:

Likewise, crazy ambushes and spotters and mines and poo poo may be novel to the Clans, but to Rolling Thunder that poo poo is how you make it through your work week. They don't escalate fights, they start at 11.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 3, 2011

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Defiance Industries posted:

This would be true if A was playing as the 2nd Sword of Light.

This is just the latest part of what I really don't like. We're passing up on a really awesome scenario. Objectively cooler then Rolling Thunder vs Capellans. And we're passing up on it because from out of nowhere there is like this huge hate on for the clans. So when the clans invade Terra will we be playing Cappies vs FedSuns?

I just want people to honestly think about what they feel is the coolest mission/the best scenario and vote for it and not go "Hah well I don't like that lame faction!"

Guess what, I don't really care much for Cappellans/Highlanders and anything they do BUT I've wanted to vote for the Highlanders mission for like forever because it'll really shape the politics of the universe.

C has won and PTN is awesome so it'll be a fun mission but not as fun as the battle of luthien and it will change some stuff but not as much as the battle for luthien.

I would also have voted for Luthien if we played as the Dracs.

Mousus
Apr 9, 2009
A, I may be far too late for another turnaround but the battle of Luthien seems like something that just can't be turned down...

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I have a confession to make.

I voted for A because the listed Goon-assets is rather large.

Possibly, this will increase the number of Goon-warriors involved, decreasing the time between now and my own goonwarriorfication.

Also, that ALL looked big, epic, fun, yadahyadah, because, you know, PTN so... yeah. That's why I made my choice.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

the JJ posted:

I have a confession to make.

I voted for A because the listed Goon-assets is rather large.

Possibly, this will increase the number of Goon-warriors involved, decreasing the time between now and my own goonwarriorfication.

Also, that ALL looked big, epic, fun, yadahyadah, because, you know, PTN so... yeah. That's why I made my choice.

Except having more people increases time per turn exponentially.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Let's take faction names and biases out of the equation.

Option A: An outnumbered but technically superior force is making an end run against the capital of a technically inferior foe, right in the teeth of the most elite forces they have. The technically inferior side has a strong likelihood of collapse if this world falls, as it includes a lot of their command and control as well as a number of key factories, and so will fight tooth and nail.

Option C: A unit of renown is trying to stop a technically superior force from encircling an area that includes a couple of useful factories. Stopping the advance here will bolster the technically inferior side.

Is that a fair assessment with the serial numbers filed off? Because Option A just looks a hell of a lot more enticing.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Affi posted:

So when the clans invade Terra will we be playing Cappies vs FedSuns?

A) The Clans are invading Terra! All at once! And half the IS factions are there too!
B) Clan Diamond Fox just dropped an unpiloted lance of Piranhas on every world in the FWL, with the keys in the ignition.
C) Ten thousand elementals vs a planet of mech-scale superdinosaurs!
D) Is anyone ever going to vote for Solaris VII?

DDDDDDD we've been putting it off for so long let's do Solaris guys.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

AJ_Impy posted:

Option A: An outnumbered but technically superior force is making an end run against the capital of a technically inferior foe, right in the teeth of the most elite forces they have. The technically inferior side has a strong likelihood of collapse if this world falls, as it includes a lot of their command and control as well as a number of key factories, and so will fight tooth and nail.

Option C: A unit of renown is trying to stop a technically superior force from encircling an area that includes a couple of useful factories. Stopping the advance here will bolster the technically inferior side.

Is that a fair assessment with the serial numbers filed off? Because Option A just looks a hell of a lot more enticing.

Let's not even forget B! It is up there with the Battle for Luthien in terms of sheer awesomeness. Northwind Highlanders, Comanches Caballeros, Justin Xiang and Chancellor Liao. Who even knows whats going to go down? Which side will the highlanders fight for? Will Comanches Caballeros get the revenge they deserve? Will Justin take over the Capellan Confederation?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

There was a stirring argument made that I should vote for A.

Therefore, I shall vote for A.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm levering my awesome reputation it seems :smug:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Affi posted:

Let's not even forget B! It is up there with the Battle for Luthien in terms of sheer awesomeness. Northwind Highlanders, Comanches Caballeros, Justin Xiang and Chancellor Liao. Who even knows whats going to go down? Which side will the highlanders fight for? Will Comanches Caballeros get the revenge they deserve? Will Justin take over the Capellan Confederation?

You're right. In the interests of fairness, Here is option B with names withheld.

The leader of a technologically advanced nation is visiting a vassal unit of renown. Hijinks occur.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

If it still matters, A! Because I want to see the Combine and Clans beat the everliving crap out of each other.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Vote Regulan Hussars! if you were running for mayor in an LP they would vote for you!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Option A requires the following caveat:

You will not be on the side fighting tooth and nail, they are the OpFor.

Tactically the CHH gambit force is the underdog, but strategically the Draconis Combine is the more interesting perspective, because from the Kuritan standpoint there is much more at stake. This is part of why quite a few people have noted that they would've voted A had the Goon perspective been reversed. A lot of people would also rather not see Goonstar put the Great Black Samurai in their crosshairs.

On the other hand, it's equally valid to say of Option C:

Option C: A unit of renown is trying to stop a technically and numerically superior force from taking a vital industrial center while their own politically fractured country's counterattack is stalled due to severe strategic hindrances, including a flagging political will to resist. As the briefing implies, should the technically and numerically superior force succeed the defenders are likely to suffer a political cascade failure. Stopping the advance here will prevent the inferior side from suffering a potential collapse.

Option A may a hard-boiled fight to destroy a country, but Option C is a desperate battle against all odds to save a country. One that's gone neglected for far too long.

(edited)

Option B, serial numbers filed off: gently caress YES I LOVE THOSE MERCENARIES

Option D: Goon PvP (Celebrity Cameo not guaranteed)

Runa fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 3, 2011

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Voting A because we will never ever see more metal on the table.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The people voting for C because they hate the Clans arent really considering that it's a chance for Poptarts to pull out all the stops and horribly maim the players. Okay, maim the players again.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
C because the FWLM is awesome and hasn't gotten any of the limelight, and we won't have to deal with loving "ponies" for around a month.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nektu posted:

Voting A because we will never ever see more metal on the table.

Except, you know, we might...

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

SynthOrange posted:

The people voting for C because they hate the Clans arent really considering that it's a chance for Poptarts to pull out all the stops and horribly maim the players. Okay, maim the players again.

The clans are the bad guys. They should always remain the bad guys. Kill more clanners. Plus the FWL seems super awesome and we should play that.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Affi posted:

This is just the latest part of what I really don't like. We're passing up on a really awesome scenario. Objectively cooler then Rolling Thunder vs Capellans. And we're passing up on it because from out of nowhere there is like this huge hate on for the clans. So when the clans invade Terra will we be playing Cappies vs FedSuns?

Probably, and it is hardly out of nowhere. I mean... the Clans in canon are pretty bad? They are inarguably villains and pricks who nobody REALLY wants to see win, and this is coming from likely the biggest clanner fanboy in the thread. And in PTN-canon, he has basically gone all out to remove all the stops and make the Clans even more reprehensible and indefensible. There is no clan left that, you know, wants to protect the Inner Sphere. The best you get is a clan or two that wants to leave the Inner Sphere alone after smashing a few dozen planets and dropping the microphone on stage. The Vipers want to use the locals to help rule after smashing everything. But the rest seem so far to be pretty unambiguously mustache-twirling villains who are only out for revenge and to wreck poo poo. The interesting betrayal-of-ideals of Kerensky possibly being a noble dude who left to keep a giant war from getting bigger is gone. The interesting hypocrisy at the core of the clans is gone. Instead we have "Kerensky gets beat like a bitch, runs away sobbing, comes back in two centuries to get revenge on those jerks" which is significantly less relatable and interesting from a metaplot perspective. I love the thread, but this is (and I have picked at this before) my single huge beef with his canon in that I feel like it has taken the already-thin sections of the Clans which are interesting and carefully cut them out with a razor.

So... no, I do not think the hatred of the Clans in the thread that has cropped up is out of nowhere, or even completely unjustified. Nor would I honestly expect the thread to ever want to play as the Clans again. I mean... it is fun to be the villain, but it is much more fun to be an interesting villain. And from what we have seen of PTN's clans? The Steel Vipers... might be? The Isolationists... kind of, but still not really, since they are just fighting for the right to take their ball and go home? Everyone else, absolutely not.

edit: I should be clear that this may just be because we have not seen enough of the clanners, but what we have seen makes me fairly pessimistic about anyone wanting to see more of them.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 3, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
To all those voting for C, have fun playing with lovely level 1 tech.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Mukaikubo posted:

So... no, I do not think the hatred of the Clans in the thread that has cropped up is out of nowhere, or even completely unjustified. Nor would I honestly expect the thread to ever want to play as the Clans again. I mean... it is fun to be the villain, but it is much more fun to be an interesting villain. And from what we have seen of PTN's clans? The Steel Vipers... might be? The Isolationists... kind of, but still not really, since they are just fighting for the right to take their ball and go home? Everyone else, absolutely not.

Yeah, as I said before and some others have mentioned, I'd hope that if the clans invade Terra we play Comstar. And here I'd love to see the GoonLance checking in with the snakes. It would be even cooler to use the refits we designed in this thread! But that's not the option so let's go play the free world league.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mukaikubo posted:

Probably, and it is hardly out of nowhere. I mean... the Clans in canon are pretty bad? They are inarguably villains and pricks who nobody REALLY wants to see win, and this is coming from likely the biggest clanner fanboy in the thread. And in PTN-canon, he has basically gone all out to remove all the stops and make the Clans even more reprehensible and indefensible. There is no clan left that, you know, wants to protect the Inner Sphere. The best you get is a clan or two that wants to leave the Inner Sphere alone after smashing a few dozen planets and dropping the microphone on stage. The Vipers want to use the locals to help rule after smashing everything. But the rest seem so far to be pretty unambiguously mustache-twirling villains who are only out for revenge and to wreck poo poo. The interesting betrayal-of-ideals of Kerensky possibly being a noble dude who left to keep a giant war from getting bigger is gone. The interesting hypocrisy at the core of the clans is gone. Instead we have "Kerensky gets beat like a bitch, runs away sobbing, comes back in two centuries to get revenge on those jerks" which is significantly less relatable and interesting from a metaplot perspective. I love the thread, but this is (and I have picked at this before) my single huge beef with his canon in that I feel like it has taken the already-thin sections of the Clans which are interesting and carefully cut them out with a razor.

This nails why the Clans are reviled in this thread. It's like taking the Mongol Empire and removing the parts where they treated women better than any other nation of the era, maintained law and good order in the territories they controlled, and was generally a safe and decent place to live so long as you didn't piss off the rulers.

The Goliath Scorpions are, I think, our best bet for some interesting Clanners to play as, but we've seen very little of them.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

AJ_Impy posted:

Voting A on this breakdown. I want to see PTN put together the most diabolical opfor ever seen.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Success at Luthien would turn the entire Draconis Combine into a minefield for both the Clans (no big change there) and everyone else. The flailing corpse of the headless Dragon would deter, say, Uncle Chandy managing to forge alliances and enabling rapid FedSun assistance against the Clans. This would give the Clans an opportunity to transition from Doomed Invaders to genuine Conquerors. I think this is more interesting than bottling up Liao and allows us to really explore an alternate universe.

Unfortunately for Marik-fans, the action thus far has been focused on the Clans and Kurita/Steiner because that's where the most interesting stuff is happening. I have nothing against the political machinations of the FWL et al., but we haven't exactly been left ignorant of them even when we're engaging in the more decisive battles.

Furthermore the Liao advance can probably be stopped in the future, even if at great cost, whereas the Clans will not get another shot at decapitating an entire Successor State.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

One no-name vote for C

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Nullkigan posted:

Success at Luthien would turn the entire Draconis Combine into a minefield for both the Clans (no big change there) and everyone else. The flailing corpse of the headless Dragon would deter, say, Uncle Chandy managing to forge alliances and enabling rapid FedSun assistance against the Clans. This would give the Clans an opportunity to transition from Doomed Invaders to genuine Conquerors. I think this is more interesting than bottling up Liao and allows us to really explore an alternate universe.

Unfortunately for Marik-fans, the action thus far has been focused on the Clans and Kurita/Steiner because that's where the most interesting stuff is happening. I have nothing against the political machinations of the FWL et al., but we haven't exactly been left ignorant of them even when we're engaging in the more decisive battles.

Furthermore the Liao advance can probably be stopped in the future, even if at great cost, whereas the Clans will not get another shot at decapitating an entire Successor State.
This person speaks truth. Luthien is one of the larger battles that takes place in the BT universe. One of the only larger battles is Tukayyid, and that is probably NOT happening in this timeline. You all would pass over an awe-inspiring campaign and why? For what? Because you don't like the Clans, and you would rather play as a doomed company that stands no chance of victory against forces that are superior to you in both numbers AND technology. I reiterate my puzzlement from earlier.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 4, 2011

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. Personally the drama of the Regulan Hussars' stand appeals more than the attempted strike on Luthien.

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009

landcollector posted:

To all those voting for C, have fun playing with lovely level 1 tech.

Level 1 Tech has it's own brand of interesting play that I feel has been largely ignored in the rush to play with the shiny Clantech. You have to make different tactical choices when you aren't running around in a Nova loaded with ER Mediums and DHS (no offense to Knox, I love the Nova, too).

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Diogenes Cynicus posted:

Level 1 Tech has it's own brand of interesting play that I feel has been largely ignored in the rush to play with the shiny Clantech. You have to make different tactical choices when you aren't running around in a Nova loaded with ER Mediums and DHS (no offense to Knox, I love the Nova, too).

No offense taken! I love Level 1 play more than I love the Nova. A Phoenix Hawk does the role just as well.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Diogenes Cynicus posted:

What rush to play with Clan tech? We've used it in ONE scenario out of EIGHT. That is not a rush in my eyes. I must disagree with your statement that level 1 is interesting (in comparison to Clan tech anyway).

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

landcollector posted:

What rush to play with Clan tech? We've used it in ONE scenario out of EIGHT. That is not a rush in my eyes. I must disagree with your statement that level 1 is interesting.

There is Inner Sphere Level 2 tech, and there is clan level 2 tech. For my money, IS level 2 tech is the best of Battletech. You have way, way more choices about what you are doing, what weapons you want to use, tactics, and heat is less crippling while still being something you have to keep a very nervous eye on. You have more to do and think about, and usually the mechs are more mobile to boot. This is not to say I dislike level 1, I just prefer IS Level 2.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

There is Inner Sphere Level 2 tech, and there is clan level 2 tech. For my money, IS level 2 tech is the best of Battletech. You have way, way more choices about what you are doing, what weapons you want to use, tactics, and heat is less crippling while still being something you have to keep a very nervous eye on. You have more to do and think about, and usually the mechs are more mobile to boot. This is not to say I dislike level 1, I just prefer IS Level 2.

I'll admit Comstar tech isn't bad. If I can't have Clan tech, Comstar stuff is almost as good.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I'm going to be all :rolldice: on everyone and say that I've played clan invasion tech/tech 1 and IS tech 2 on the board game. Personally I found the most interesting and fun to me as tech 1. Tech 1 has alot more danger and fun than either clan or tech 2 IS. clan tech really gets old fast unless you are playing fluff exactly how a clanner is supposed to be playing it. tech 2 IS gets buried under the hundreds of weapons and new ones that keep on getting added to it. It reaches the poiont where there is a clear disparity between any of the old stock weapons and the shiney new weapons that have less drawbacks and better damage/range brackets. It gets to the point where you ask yourself why anyone would bother with anything but it, I'm looking at you Acs :argh:.

Eitherway, to stop being :reject: about it, I say that any tech level even experimental tech can be fun if you play it right.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
^^^Yeah, the original ACs get absolutely no love in Level 2 play outside of special munitions which are very situational.

IS2 is probably the most enjoyable, as all the advanced stuff has its drawbacks, (XL makes you fragile, ER has added heat for no extra damage, pulse has no range, etc) but IS1 is pretty drat fun as well.

Clantech is just stupid and broken. It just comes down to 'who has the most LPL/ERPPC/ERML/LRM.' Yay.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
Voting A!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Mukaikubo posted:

I love the thread, but this is (and I have picked at this before) my single huge beef with his canon in that I feel like it has taken the already-thin sections of the Clans which are interesting and carefully cut them out with a razor.

That'll change with the return of the Ghost Bears :colbert: :sweden:

• Locked thread