Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Saxxon
Dec 21, 2004

Please be Baaaaack.

Martytoof posted:

Lightroom/Aperture comes to mind. So does photomechanic.

It really depends on what you mean by "sorting". Are you trying to index your photos so you don't have to go looking through folders to find what you want?

Sorry, should've been a little more specific and maybe provide a little background info. I work at a college athletic program and in charge of sorting various sports photos - we use them in a variety of ways web, print, media requests, etc. So each subject having their own folder makes it easy for me to complete certain requests.

After a sporting event I get the photo DVD and then import the 500-1500 images onto my computer and then start the process of putting the photo subject into their own folder. Sometimes multiple players are in the shot and if it's good enough to use for multiple people, I'll just copy and paste the file and distribute it over the correct player folders. Example, I see a photo of #99 John Smith, I move that picture out of my event folder that I just imported to, then move it over to John Smith's folder.

Here's a quick screen grab video of what I'm doing, if that helps explain it better: http://youtu.be/idZ9NAgJyeA

Downloaded Lightroom and played around with it a few minutes but will have to wait until after work to really figure it out.

Thanks for the recommandations so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, definitely go with Lightroom or Aperture then. YOu don't need to worry about folders at all. Just import all your photos, then tag them with the appropriate keywords. After that, you can just search on those particular keywords and if you want a folder to give someone after the fact just export that selection to a directory and bam you're off to the races.

It might take a little while adjusting to a new workflow though. I wouldn't expect it to be simple or anything, but I think it'll pay off.

Check out the Dorkroom sports photography and post-processing threads and ping the guys there, maybe they'll have some organization tips.

Action Saxxon
Dec 21, 2004

Please be Baaaaack.
Had no idea that thread existed, awesome...Thanks for the help.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I just noticed that Lion's autocorrect detects what language you are typing in! How long has this been the case? (Obviously pre-Lion we didn't have autocorrect, but there was spell check.)

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
I work every once in a while for a photographer and he wants me to organize and tag his external harddrives using lightroom. I have lightroom, but I'm on a PC and he's on a Mac. I know Mac's cant read NTFS, so how should I format the drives so that both of our computers can read them? Is there a way to make my PC be able to read whatever Mac's format is?

I heard FAT32 might work, is that a good option?

TotallyGreen fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 2, 2011

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

TotallyGreen posted:

I work every once in a while for a photographer and he wants me to organize and tag his external harddrives using lightroom. I have lightroom, but I'm on a PC and he's on a Mac. I know Mac's cant read NTFS, so how should I format the drives so that both of our computers can read them? Is there a way to make my PC be able to read whatever Mac's format is?

I heard FAT32 might work, is that a good option?

Use exFAT.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Cyne posted:

Use exFAT.

That looks perfect. Thanks!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Action Jackson! posted:

It sounds like you set this up as a Time Machine backup disk and not just a plain AirPort disk.

http://www.zisman.ca/Articles/2009/LEM-Airdisk/airdisk.html
I'm not sure what exactly the article was for (I didn't see anything that seemed to fit my situation), but I did not do anything special.

Here's exactly what I did:

1. Had USB drive plugged directly into iMac. All Users had read/write access to the drive.
2. Purchased Time Capsule. Worked flawlessly for ~6 months
3. Plugged USB drive into Time Capsule instead of iMac. Set drive it to automount on login for both users (in User Preferences). Did NOT change any settings on Time Capsule.
4. I am able to read/write files on the mounted disk. My wife cannot read or write files on mounted disk. I see a disk drive on my desktop, she sees a blue folder with a red strikethrough icon on her desktop.

Thoughts?

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
I want to send my photostream to Dropbox automatically.

On Windows, you can just assign photo stream to any old folder. If I could do that on my mac, I would just put the photostream folder in my dropbox folder, or use a Folder Action to copy images as they get added.

On OS X, though, the photostream just goes in to your iPhoto library and there's nothing you can do about it. Anyone have any ideas for sending images from photostream to Dropbox?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dexter6 posted:

I'm not sure what exactly the article was for (I didn't see anything that seemed to fit my situation), but I did not do anything special.

Here's exactly what I did:

1. Had USB drive plugged directly into iMac. All Users had read/write access to the drive.
2. Purchased Time Capsule. Worked flawlessly for ~6 months
3. Plugged USB drive into Time Capsule instead of iMac. Set drive it to automount on login for both users (in User Preferences). Did NOT change any settings on Time Capsule.
4. I am able to read/write files on the mounted disk. My wife cannot read or write files on mounted disk. I see a disk drive on my desktop, she sees a blue folder with a red strikethrough icon on her desktop.

Thoughts?
Well I wrote this on the last page:

japtor posted:

Well I mention it cause last time I messed with AirDisk it does permissions by giving each user a folder on the drive, rather than the usual OS X permissions.
Do you have to give a username/password to connect to the drive or just connect with no credentials?

Otherwise for #3, I have no clue but is it necessary to auto mount for both users? How are you setting it to automount? Just curious since volumes mount at /Volumes/drivename, like it's not a per user thing afaik. What happens if your wife's account logs in first and tries connecting before yours does? Maybe the OS is essentially giving ownership to the first user and the second can't access the same /Volumes/drive it as a result.

japtor fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 2, 2011

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Hey guys,
I want my MBP to go to sleep whenever I close the lid, even if there is an external monitor connected. Presumably this can be achieved by applying some console magic. Would one of you happen to know what to type? That's for OSX Lion.

duep fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 2, 2011

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
So I found out a wacky hint from MacOSXHints this morning.

If you look in ~/Library/Mobile Documents/ you'll find a folder that gets automatically synced between all your iCloud enabled devices, including your macs.

If you use any apps that store "Documents in the Cloud" you'll find folders for those apps. And if you notice there's a folder for each iWork app. If you save say a Pages document from your Mac in there, and open Pages on your iOS device, you'll see the file just show up automatically.

Unfortunately when you edit the file on iOS, it ends up modifying what shows up in that folder to be a folder with the extension ".pages-tef" Which OS X Pages can no longer open.

I need to see what happens if you just stuff some stuff in that folder.. I wonder if it syncs over to your other macs?

Edit: Holy crap it works. I just made a folder in there and dropped an image file and a few seconds later it was on my other mac.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 2, 2011

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

echobucket posted:

Edit: Holy crap it works. I just made a folder in there and dropped an image file and a few seconds later it was on my other mac.
I'd be careful with that. Some people posted (I forget where) that they had files deleted after messing around in that folder.

Edit: I mean deleted from that folder, not that random other files will go missing.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

japtor posted:

Well I wrote this on the last page:

Do you have to give a username/password to connect to the drive or just connect with no credentials?

Otherwise for #3, I have no clue but is it necessary to auto mount for both users? How are you setting it to automount? Just curious since volumes mount at /Volumes/drivename, like it's not a per user thing afaik. What happens if your wife's account logs in first and tries connecting before yours does? Maybe the OS is essentially giving ownership to the first user and the second can't access the same /Volumes/drive it as a result.
I don't have to give a password, but I do recall when I set up the time capsule a while back that I set up a password and I think I saved to the users' keychains.

I did try having my wife log in first and sure enough she gets the disk icon on her desktop and I get a locked folder. So user accounts are definitely the problem here. Any other thoughts?

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

anotherone posted:

I want to send my photostream to Dropbox automatically.

On Windows, you can just assign photo stream to any old folder. If I could do that on my mac, I would just put the photostream folder in my dropbox folder, or use a Folder Action to copy images as they get added.

On OS X, though, the photostream just goes in to your iPhoto library and there's nothing you can do about it. Anyone have any ideas for sending images from photostream to Dropbox?

Symlinks should fix that: http://wiki.dropbox.com/TipsAndTricks/SyncOtherFolders

Though that would sync everything in that folder, not sure if that's a problem for you.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

FistLips posted:

Symlinks should fix that: http://wiki.dropbox.com/TipsAndTricks/SyncOtherFolders

Though that would sync everything in that folder, not sure if that's a problem for you.

Yes, but which folder?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

anotherone posted:

Yes, but which folder?

I found where the photo stream photos are ending up on my Mac.

~/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement/assets/sub

And then each photo is stuck in it's own folder.

Not ideal for automatically moving into Dropbox.

Maybe someone could whip up a script to copy them as they show up... or maybe you could use something like Hazel or Automator with folder actions to copy the files into Dropbox automatically.

Edit: I came up with a Hazel rule that works.

Step one, add the "sub" folder to Hazel
Step two, add a rule that runs all the rules on all the subfolder contents
step three add a rule that copies all files that of "Kind" "Images" to your preferred Dropbox folder.

Hazel really is awesome :)

echobucket fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 2, 2011

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm curious, what does Hazel do that Automator doesn't?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Krakkles posted:

I'm curious, what does Hazel do that Automator doesn't?

Nothing, technically, but it's a hell of a lot easier to use than making folder actions or scripts and then setting them as a cron job or whatever. It actively monitors folders to take action, and allows you to easily set filters based on file type, age, etc.

I used to have it set to sort my downloads into dated folders within the ~/Downloads folder, unless they were music files of any kind, in which case it'd move them into a 'new tunes' folder in ~/Music that I'd then fix and tidy tags on before importing into iTunes.

It also does a similar job to things like AppZapper, whereby it'll search for associated files when you drag an app to the trash and offer to remove them as well.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dexter6 posted:

I don't have to give a password, but I do recall when I set up the time capsule a while back that I set up a password and I think I saved to the users' keychains.

I did try having my wife log in first and sure enough she gets the disk icon on her desktop and I get a locked folder. So user accounts are definitely the problem here. Any other thoughts?
Not really sure but looking up something like "OS X mounted share fast user switching" brings up others with the same problem.

Didn't look into it much but it seems like if you don't mind having the drive mounted a second time at /Volumes/Backup-1 for the second user, that might be a solution, basically just connect to the drive again from the other account and it'll mount it for that user.

The other solutions seem to have to do with mounting it at the system level before any user logs in, and/or mounting at different points like at /Users/Shared/Backup or something...I have no experience with doing either of those, but the query above should bring it up here and there. Just make sure whatever you find is applicable to whatever version of OS X you're using I guess.

some kind of bug
Jul 10, 2011

Seeing as others were discussing Time Capsule problems I'll chime in with my own (hope thats not rude), I was copying files to my Time Capsule last night and somewhere along the line the power went out and the transfer was interrupted. This confused it or something because now this happens

I'm prepared to just restore it since the Aperture library I keep on it is also backed up on an external HD and I can redownload most of my iTunes library now that that's a thing, but before I do all that just checking to see if theres some kind of fix 'cause that'd be cool

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Any recommendations for working with Latex in OSX? I've never used it before and need to learn for a project.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Any recommendations for working with Latex in OSX? I've never used it before and need to learn for a project.

Download the MacTex package and start rolling really. I did most of my writing in TextMate, but if you are looking for a a program with a little more features texmaker may work. I believe that you get TexShop with the MacTex package.

If you need help with the language I recommend finding some intro guides and working trough them. (There are books you can buy too, but i find them unnecessary) Once you get the hang of it, it really is a god send for technical writing. For the last 3 years of college, I wrote every assignment in latex.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm looking for a way to sync bookmarks across my macs and 1 PC. I currently use Chrome across all of them but want to use Safari as well so chrome sync doesn't work in this case. I've thought of using Dropbox but not sure how that would work against 2 different browsers. Suggestions? Ideas?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

vikingstrike posted:

Download the MacTex package and start rolling really. I did most of my writing in TextMate, but if you are looking for a a program with a little more features texmaker may work. I believe that you get TexShop with the MacTex package.

If you need help with the language I recommend finding some intro guides and working trough them. (There are books you can buy too, but i find them unnecessary) Once you get the hang of it, it really is a god send for technical writing. For the last 3 years of college, I wrote every assignment in latex.

Holy crap, the MacTex package is 1.8gb!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I'd like to finally use the Boot Camp assistant and put Windows 7 on my iMac (late 2009 running Lion). Quick question: what do I need except for a copy of Win 7 (which I ordered today; Home Premium 64-bit). I guess just a usb - drive for drivers etc.?

edit: The Apple FAQ is my friend

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 3, 2011

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I have a strange little issue with Lion; whenever I use quicklook for something, I usually can resize the window at leisure. But for some reason after a while the window locks up to a random size and cannot be resized from any edge. So far the only solution I've found is either relogging or rebooting. What's up with this? :confused:

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Moeru posted:

I'm looking for a way to sync bookmarks across my macs and 1 PC. I currently use Chrome across all of them but want to use Safari as well so chrome sync doesn't work in this case. I've thought of using Dropbox but not sure how that would work against 2 different browsers. Suggestions? Ideas?

http://www.xmarks.com/

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine
What is the best program to convert files so they play on my Apple TV? I currently use SmartConverter which is easy and fast, but it doesn't let me do batch conversion.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Epic Fail Guy posted:

What is the best program to convert files so they play on my Apple TV? I currently use SmartConverter which is easy and fast, but it doesn't let me do batch conversion.

Handbrake will, but you have to pick each movie file one at a time. But you can queue them up, and just hit "Add to Queue" again. It's annoying extra clicks that the dev refuses to fix, but it gets the job done.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

vikingstrike posted:

Just seconding this. I've been doing a lot of LaTeX writing recently in TextMate which has been pretty painless so far.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

There's a 25 MB core package floating around somewhere on the MacTex website, that'll get you started if you don't want to download the whole shebang.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Incredibly stupid question.

I recently bought an iMac and I'm trying to print something from Pages for the first time. For some unknown reason, the document is printing with the little triangles that denote a tab or whatever. How the hell do I get it to stop doing that?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. I had to "Accept Changes" in the Tracking bar.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 3, 2011

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Yep, but the Maths postgrads and academics at my work swear by it.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Epic Fail Guy posted:

I've been using iVI and it works great. It does batches, and has some great automation options for folder monitoring and whatnot.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

greatest gatsby posted:

Seeing as others were discussing Time Capsule problems I'll chime in with my own (hope thats not rude), I was copying files to my Time Capsule last night and somewhere along the line the power went out and the transfer was interrupted. This confused it or something because now this happens

I'm prepared to just restore it since the Aperture library I keep on it is also backed up on an external HD and I can redownload most of my iTunes library now that that's a thing, but before I do all that just checking to see if theres some kind of fix 'cause that'd be cool
No experience with Time Capsule, but I guess try restarting the Mac, and/or running Disk Utility or whatever within the AirPort Admin Utility, and/or restarting the TC itself.

Stare-Out posted:

I have a strange little issue with Lion; whenever I use quicklook for something, I usually can resize the window at leisure. But for some reason after a while the window locks up to a random size and cannot be resized from any edge. So far the only solution I've found is either relogging or rebooting. What's up with this? :confused:
Next time it happens open up Console and see if anything useful pops up there. How long does it take to manifest?

IUG posted:

Handbrake will, but you have to pick each movie file one at a time. But you can queue them up, and just hit "Add to Queue" again. It's annoying extra clicks that the dev refuses to fix, but it gets the job done.
There's also stuff like Handbrake Batch out there, although I haven't gotten a chance to play with any of them yet.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

japtor posted:

Next time it happens open up Console and see if anything useful pops up there. How long does it take to manifest?
Nothing in the Console that I can decipher, and it's hard to say when how why it happens. A few days ago I was looking through old photos and the window resized itself according to each picture just fine. Earlier today I added some new photos which were smaller, and when I used Quicklook the window was still huge even though the pictures were small and I couldn't resize it manually. The arrows pop up and I can still move the window just fine. It works normally apart from the odd size issue.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Oh I think I know what you're talking about...but not the part where you can't resize it manually. For the rest I think there's just some voodoo algorithm that determines when to resize the preview window or just scale the content. It's probably simple but I don't mess with it enough to be sure.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

You Am I posted:

Yep, but the Maths postgrads and academics at my work swear by it.

Yeah, I was a Linguistics major in undergrad and it was pretty great. My physics PhD buddy uses it all the time to.

As for a guide, just download lShort. Very useful, at the least for the basics.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
Model: iMac 2011

Issue: Apple posted an EFI update today. I accepted the update and it restarted my computer. Problem is it restarted twice by itself and then went into recovery mode. Disk tools reported nothing wrong with the SSD or HDD. I tried choosing a Time Machine backup to restore and it wouldn't work despite what I tried. Now I'm reinstalling Lion from scratch.

I'm quite upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I would have tried rebooting, setting my startup disk, and calling AppleCare before reinstalling Lion.