Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I don't think they consider tri-SLI 580s and an i7 980x ($1,000 processor lol) "enthusiast".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I really want to know what that system is made for. You could have spent $1000-$1500 less on it and still run virtually every game at max settings at 60 FPS.

I'm not trying to criticize you for the way you spend your own money, but I am curious what you use that extra horsepower for. Do you have a 3 monitor setup or something?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Manac0r posted:

Yeah I figured it could be driver optimization as a lot of people, myself included, are getting green flashes sometimes. What you said about the refresh is making sense. I suppose it is early days and driver optimization will increase overtime.
I know I'm experiencing the issue you're talking about with my 6970 and the problem completely dissapears running everything on High but turning all the AA options back on so I'm guessing there's something involving one of the post-processing techniques that's doing it.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm not trying to criticize you for the way you spend your own money, but I am curious what you use that extra horsepower for. Do you have a 3 monitor setup or something?

Pfft... monitors, yeah right.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I really want to know what that system is made for. You could have spent $1000-$1500 less on it and still run virtually every game at max settings at 60 FPS.

You are right. It is used for work as well, mainly video rendering, not just gaming (and was built prior to Sandy Bridge's release). I threw in the third 580 recently after being disappointed with the 590's over clocking ability. And yes it has a multiple monitor display, but for gaming I actually prefer one big monitor. But those projectors look sweet.

Delved a little more into BF3 and definitely think its a driver issue.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Manac0r posted:

You are right. It is used for work as well, mainly video rendering, not just gaming (and was built prior to Sandy Bridge's release). I threw in the third 580 recently after being disappointed with the 590's over clocking ability. And yes it has a multiple monitor display, but for gaming I actually prefer one big monitor. But those projectors look sweet.

Delved a little more into BF3 and definitely think its a driver issue.

I mean, I do video & audio work on a 2500k/570 system, and I can max out every single game except 2 at 1080p. Good for you, I guess, I just hope other people don't follow your lead in the search for l33tness

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Blackula69 posted:

I mean, I do video & audio work on a 2500k/570 system, and I can max out every single game except 2 at 1080p. Good for you, I guess, I just hope other people don't follow your lead in the search for l33tness
His resolution is higher than yours and maybe he plays those two games. Don't be a jerk.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
I'm not, I'm just saying that's the extreme case - most people don't need to spend $3000 on a system these days, and I don't want people getting the wrong idea. But yeah, I'm sure turning on Ubersampling makes the Witcher look great. Also it would stomp nuts for CUDA

And as for BF3 - that might even be a connection issue, if that's a possibility. It's got great netcode, but there's still occasional problems for me playing on a pretty fast connection.

e: and I mean not just obvious lag, but weird minor issues

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 3, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Blackula69 posted:

I'm not, I'm just saying that's the extreme case - most people don't need to spend $3000 on a system these days, and I don't want people getting the wrong idea. But yeah, I'm sure turning on Ubersampling makes the Witcher look great. Also it would stomp nuts for CUDA

To be perfectly honest, I'm not a fan of ubersampling in The Witcher. The improvement seems negligible at best and at times I think it actually looks worse than without it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Anyone playing BF3 should really take 10 seconds, hit tilde and type "render.drawfps 1" (sans quotes) to see what their performance is like. No extra software, and good way to separate lag from your GPU suffering.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

movax posted:

Anyone playing BF3 should really take 10 seconds, hit tilde and type "render.drawfps 1" (sans quotes) to see what their performance is like. No extra software, and good way to separate lag from your GPU suffering.

Thanks for this.

intangir
Oct 22, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

Anyone know where to get the wireless receiver for the 360/Windows controller? Mine just up and died on me, apparently Microsoft only warranties them for 90 days to boot. There's like two places in all of Canada that still stock the controller kit, let alone the receiver by itself which was discontinued. Ebay has a ton of knockoffs but nothing official. I don't want to spend $70 on a controller I don't need to get the $10 USB dongle I do.

I know this is from a few weeks ago but I just wanted to say that if this happens to anyone else, it may be possible to fix it. I had mine crap out on me about a year ago and found out there was a somewhat common problem with a solder joint breaking inside: http://blog.chase.net.au/index.php/2009/06/broken-xbox-360-wireless-receiver-for-windows/

I was able to take it in to work, re-solder the joint, and it's been working fine ever since, albeit as just a naked PCB. So, if you can solder or know someone who does, try this out before buying a new one.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

There is no Thi4fThief 4 thread, right?

A story board, presumably from an upcoming trailer/cut scene, has been leaked. It's made by a guy who works for the company that did the Deus Ex: HR trailers.

Birds and stealing poo poo confirmed.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Birds and stealing poo poo confirmed.

Goddamn, The Dark Project is the best and scariest game I ever played. Hope they do a good job on this one.

It's a real shame that the developers making Metal Age had to do the levels first, and the story second. The third game had weird controls and didn't sustain the atmophere of the original (except for that Orphanage level).

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

VDay posted:

I just think it's kind of funny that some people (not you specifically, mostly on other forums) are legitimately mad that graphics have finally plateaued a little so that people can actually use their computers to play games for more than a year before being completely behind.

I know it didn't come across in my post but I actually really like that consoles have put a crawl to the graphics expansion we used to see. I'd rather not have to upgrade every other year just to play games on medium settings. I was just saying that consoles are the reason graphics haven't gone very far in a few years.

Xabarin
Jun 9, 2006

I don't wanna grow up
Breaking news: "The PC is an insecure platform" says Activision.

quote:

"We're as committed as ever to the PC, but the need to ensure a safe PC environment is greater than ever," he said. "It's really extensive. We need more time to get there, so Elite on PC will not launch on Day 1.

"We're working our butts off to make it happen, but we won't release it until we know that PC gamers can enjoy Elite as it's meant to be.

"The issue here is that the PC is an insecure platform. Without a central, trusted resource for stats, a lot of our competition features become unfair. We can't give away prizes when people can easily cheat their stats. Leaderboards are less fun when a lot of the users are there unfairly."

"Not being able to trust stats is a big problem for our design," he said. "Because of this, we had to re-imagine Elite for PC. Elite for PC will be about access to your own stats, or those of your friends. Basically establishing a circle of trust. And because it will have some reduced functionality, it will be free for everyone.

Nice! They are offering pc gamers multiplayer options, friend lists and stats :siren:for free!:siren: Guys, they truly care about us.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I see poo poo like this as a side effect of achievements. Instead of just being neat little "Great Job" stickers it turns into a penis waving contest and everybody starts whining if somebody "achieves" something unfairly.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

notZaar posted:

I see poo poo like this as a side effect of achievements. Instead of just being neat little "Great Job" stickers it turns into a penis waving contest and everybody starts whining if somebody "achieves" something unfairly.
If also led to the locking of save files on GFWL. Since a person who doesn't care about achievements but wants to load up someone else's save file because their computer crashed is obviously a cheater and a bad person.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Xabarin posted:

Nice! They are offering pc gamers multiplayer options, friend lists and stats :siren:for free!:siren: Guys, they truly care about us.

I can't believe people care this much about loving leaderboards when I can just load up cheat engine and hack my way there. Who loving cares about this garbage, seriously?

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
I may be wrong about this, but aren't all the consoles pretty insecure at this point anyway?

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

habanero walrus posted:

I may be wrong about this, but aren't all the consoles pretty insecure at this point anyway?

I agree, I have to pay my Xbox a compliment before it will even open it's tray :rimshot: *Sorry I couldn't help it*

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Manac0r posted:

I agree, I have to pay my Xbox a compliment before it will even open it's tray :rimshot: *Sorry I couldn't help it*

That shiny black makes you look thinner, Xbox.

*opens tray*

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Manac0r posted:

I initially read this as a comment on having to pay for poo poo that BACK IN THE DAY we'd get for free, like DLC and online passes, etc.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

EDIT: To SH/SC I go!

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 4, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That is indeed best reserved for SH/SC.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm trying to play Dead Space after it was in the recent Steam sale but when I start it, there is no text on any of the menus, even when I change resolution. I'm not forcing AA on, I'm running an HD5870/Q6600 and Google turns up nothing, which is worrying.

Anything I could be missing? Is it a known problem?

e: Had a brainwave and verified game cache and it turned up a bunch of files (770) which didn't validate. Come to think of it, I had a power cut when I was downloading it and had to reinstall Steam.

Got to download the whole thing again, though. I anticipate an angry letter from my ISP for taking the piss.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 5, 2011

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Xabarin posted:

Oh my goodness. Are we getting adjustable graphics options too? Activision is spoiling us.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Node posted:

Oh my goodness. Are we getting adjustable graphics options too? Activision is spoiling us.

I heard it will even include Keyboard and mouse support with the first incoming patch.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I can't believe people care this much about loving leaderboards when I can just load up cheat engine and hack my way there. Who loving cares about this garbage, seriously?

Guess you are the type of person Activision is trying to stop then.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

timmmmaaaah posted:

Guess you are the type of person Activision is trying to stop then.

I'm not saying I would, I'm saying they literally do not matter. Even if cheat engine or the like wasn't possible, they still would not matter. PC and Consoles have two totally different mindsets and I don't really see publishers understanding this at all.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm not saying I would, I'm saying they literally do not matter. Even if cheat engine or the like wasn't possible, they still would not matter. PC and Consoles have two totally different mindsets and I don't really see publishers understanding this at all.

As a PC gamer I give not one gently caress about leaderboards. I want immediate patch downloads, content to stop being console exclusive for a month before I'm allowed to play it, voice chat that isn't janky, and developers to at least pretend they care about my business by giving care to their console ports rather than outsourcing to a lovely 3rd world country that doesn't bother patching issues after the game is released.

Please, take leaderboards out for good if I can have the things that actually have impact on gameplay.

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
I have a Steam code for Batman:AC from the nvidia promotion, and I'm currently weighing up whether to play it on PC, or sell the code and get it on 360. Either way I want to use the 360 controller to play it.

My questions are, a) is it expected to be well optimised for PC? I know obviously we can't be sure until its out, but how was AA? And b) what is the best route for using my (wireless) controller on PC? Does the wireless receiver work well, or is it better to just buy a wired controller if I can find one cheap?

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

dogydemoc posted:

I have a Steam code for Batman:AC from the nvidia promotion, and I'm currently weighing up whether to play it on PC, or sell the code and get it on 360. Either way I want to use the 360 controller to play it.

My questions are, a) is it expected to be well optimised for PC? I know obviously we can't be sure until its out, but how was AA? And b) what is the best route for using my (wireless) controller on PC? Does the wireless receiver work well, or is it better to just buy a wired controller if I can find one cheap?

Arkham Asylum was fantastic! Truth be told, the game was designed around the controller, so playing with mouse and keyboard felt awkward to me.
As for the 360 pad, I don't think they sell just the adapter anymore. I bought the controller/adapter combo because I wanted a second 360 pad and the timing was good. I don't really think there is a negligible difference between the wired/wireless pad, but there may be some goony goon who quotes me and some statistics. Whatever.
If AC is anywhere as good as AA (and from what I hear it is better) then you shouldn't miss out on it.

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
I have four wireless controllers so I'd like to avoid buying another if possible!

is this the right adapter? (I'm guessing it is from the name, but wasn't sure if there was a newer/better one out there).

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Apparently the adapters being sold on Amazon are all Chinese knockoffs since Microsoft no longer sells the product as a single item anymore. The knockoffs are supposed to work quite decently though.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Zettace posted:

Apparently the adapters being sold on Amazon are all Chinese knockoffs since Microsoft no longer sells the product as a single item anymore. The knockoffs are supposed to work quite decently though.

I'd rather have the £13 knockoff than the genuine article that cost me £80 a few years ago :mad:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Zettace posted:

I ordered a knockoff from DealExtreme, as long as it doesn't have the same blown fuse problem that the original does then I'll be happy with it. For those that don't know, the authentic Microsoft ones are literally ticking timebombs due to some sort of problem with the fuse. For what they cost it's totally unforgivable and the lovely 90 day warranty is a joke from such a huge company. Between this and the problems I had with my various Xbox consoles it'll be a long time before I buy Microsoft hardware again. They used to make such good stuff too, the joysticks and KB/M at least.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
So I finally want to get a PC gamepad for a couple of games and I don't quite know what to get yet.
I do know that I absolutely hate the XBOX controller and I think that the PS3 controller is the best thing since sliced bread so that narrows my selection down a bit.

Beyond that, I don't really know what to get. Wireless is an option but a lack of it isn't a big deal. Other than that, the cheaper the better, obviously.
Any compatibility / driver issues I should be worried about with specific controllers or brands?

I was looking at the Logitech F710 which seems pretty much perfect for me. I've had good experiences with other Logitech stuff and this one is wireless (should I avoid that for some reason?) but they go for around 40€ around here which is approaching the upper limit on what I feel like spending on a gamepad.

Any comments on the F710 or other recommendations?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Burning Mustache posted:

So I finally want to get a PC gamepad for a couple of games and I don't quite know what to get yet.
I do know that I absolutely hate the XBOX controller and I think that the PS3 controller is the best thing since sliced bread so that narrows my selection down a bit.

Beyond that, I don't really know what to get. Wireless is an option but a lack of it isn't a big deal. Other than that, the cheaper the better, obviously.
Any compatibility / driver issues I should be worried about with specific controllers or brands?

I was looking at the Logitech F710 which seems pretty much perfect for me. I've had good experiences with other Logitech stuff and this one is wireless (should I avoid that for some reason?) but they go for around 40€ around here which is approaching the upper limit on what I feel like spending on a gamepad.

Any comments on the F710 or other recommendations?

You could just get a PS3 controller and use Motioninjoy. Those are pretty expensive, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Did anyone pickup L.A. Noire? Hopefully it is a decent port.

• Locked thread