Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Zedd posted:

Biggest doesn't have to imply raw dimensions (though it probably will seeing as how 4 is about half the size of SA) but attention to detail in this engine means "just LS + farmside" is a shitload of works and stuff.

Hopefully you're right. Biggest in terms of map size isn't really a great metric to aim for (look at True Crime: Streets of LA. Huge map based on the real world, but mostly meaningless and samey). What they should be going for is density in terms of having plenty of things to do and see. Los Santos and a decent chunk of countryside will be absolutely fine as long as they go out of their way to really cram it with diversions and side-missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Aw, that's kind of a bummer. Los Santos was by far my least favorite of the three SA cities. I would have loved to see them take another whack at Los Venturas, and recreate the desert drive in between the two.

But hey, maybe we'll see the other two cities in future DLC. Here's hoping. :allears:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Hum, if it is just LS (and surrounds), I do hope it IS varied. I don't want to think this could of been so much more (all of SA). This really could be R*'s biggest game if they get all three locales and countryside/desert. Or it could be 'well it could of been'.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Militree posted:

I would have loved to see them take another whack at Los Venturas, and recreate the desert drive in between the two.

Hell yes, that desert was beautiful. One of my favourite gaming memories will always be driving through there at dusk when the sky is all purple, with Bounce FM on the radio :allears:

Edit: I wonder if any of the old radio stations will be returning with new tracks, that would be neat.

Avril Lavigne fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 3, 2011

Steves Asleep
Jun 5, 2005

Jek Tono z0rkins posted:

Beep Beep Steve's Asleep

i hope we get all the old goontheftauto back together

:woop:

I can't wait to start throwing stuff off Chiliad again!

I wonder if the little hovercrafts will be back. It was a nice relaxing flight in one of those from the top of Chiliad to the airport in SF.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

simosimo posted:

Hum, if it is just LS (and surrounds), I do hope it IS varied. I don't want to think this could of been so much more (all of SA). This really could be R*'s biggest game if they get all three locales and countryside/desert. Or it could be 'well it could of been'.

It's looking like they're covering most of the different environments, even if the actual different cities might not be present. Like people have said, LA has all of that variation in and around it already so it's not entirely implausible.

The coastal areas looked really drat good in the trailer. Can't wait to see those not-Malibu houses in game, as well as not-Venice/Santa Monica.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Did GTA4 have the missions where you had to bring several rare/uncommon cars to a collector/crane? I remember those being some of my favorite parts of GTA

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Blitz7x posted:

Did GTA4 have the missions where you had to bring several rare/uncommon cars to a collector/crane? I remember those being some of my favorite parts of GTA
Brucie had to steal cars for him but I remember it being annoying for some reason.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Blitz7x posted:

You bright them to a lock up garage.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Orgophlax posted:

Brucie had to steal cars for him but I remember it being annoying for some reason.

It was because you had to steal them from specific houses, which kinda sucked at times.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Orgophlax posted:

Brucie just asked for cars in email, didn't he? I remember you'd get picture messages on the phone of cars to steal and you'd have to actually think a bit, I liked those a lot.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not quite. You'd regularly get e-mails prompting you to steal a specific car, and later text messages, but those were almost miniature missions in themselves. Say you accepted the e-mail to jack John's Banshee in Middle Park East, then you'd get the car's location on the map, only that specific Banshee would do, and more than likely you'd have to kill John as well.

On the one hand, more fun than cruising around waiting for the Mr Whoopee to spawn, on the other, I always liked jacking a random car and realizing, hey, they want that at the docks, let's go.

e: yeah, the mails were the mini missions, the text messages were more of a challenge to work out where the car was from the picture. Not always easy.

e2: come to think of it this is a great example of different design paradigms where the old way was "find something to do wherever you go" and the new one is "find something to do by accepting a prompt and driving to a specific place and doing a specific thing."

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 3, 2011

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I hope we do have the little side missions but hopefully they offer more then just money as a reward. Like 150% health for ambulance missions (not actually those ambulance missions though, they were a huge pain in the rear end)

In GTA 3 once you completed the car deliveries didn't you get the ability to spawn one at any time? Very useful whenever you wanted a tank.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There were two car theft series in GTA IV.

The first was Brucie's, you'd get an email with a picture of the car and then they'd be marked as a waypoint on the map. Sometimes when you went to steal there'd be someone there to defend. You'd drive the cars back to Brucie's garage in broker and get cash. There were 10 to grab.

The second was Stevie's, which got unlocked after you did all of Brucie's and then beat Brucie's last mission (the race), did Derrick's first mission (kill Bucky) and you have the Alderney safehouse. You get a call from Brucie and then the first text from Stevie. Stevie's targets are always in the same places (Brucie's move around for different playthroughs) but you don't get a waypoint, you get a pic of the car on your phone and a neighborhood name. Then you drive them to a garage in Bohan. When all 30 are done, you get an achievement and can drive almost any non-emergency vehicle into the garage for cash.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Yeah I don't really like those find a car missions. I loved the big list you got in SA and then if you happened to see one of those cars, you'd just jack it and take it in for money. I mean the game is called Grand Theft Auto. Stealing cars ought to be one of the more pleasant things to do.

What I really want to do in gta5 is that canyon jump on a motorcycle while listening to KDST, but I'm guessing that whole hoover dam area won't be part of it. I'm also assuming the euphoria engine won't allow completely unurealistic stuff like me being able to jump a motorcycle off mt. chiliad and land without falling off as long as I angle it right.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

davebo posted:

Yeah I don't really like those find a car missions. I loved the big list you got in SA and then if you happened to see one of those cars, you'd just jack it and take it in for money. I mean the game is called Grand Theft Auto. Stealing cars ought to be one of the more pleasant things to do.

What I really want to do in gta5 is that canyon jump on a motorcycle while listening to KDST, but I'm guessing that whole hoover dam area won't be part of it. I'm also assuming the euphoria engine won't allow completely unurealistic stuff like me being able to jump a motorcycle off mt. chiliad and land without falling off as long as I angle it right.

I liked stealing the text message cars as it was more like actually hunting & stealing a car, rather than randomly hopping in something and seeing a message about "hey this is a car on the list!"

I also liked the pier in SA where you'd bring stolen cars, and could attach that magnet and drive it around like 2 ton tetherball.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Knightmare posted:

I remember you'd get picture messages on the phone of cars to steal and you'd have to actually think a bit, I liked those a lot.

Those were really fun, I'd like to see them again if they could somehow make it sort of procedural so that it could be kind of ongoing for as long as you wanted to do it. Like, the game would just randomly generate new ones, giving you 2-3 at a time that you could steal.

Here's hoping for functional dealerships this time around, too, along with a better car saving/recovery system so actually purchasing a specific car isn't a crapshoot. I imagine this being kind of like the horse in RDR, not that you can whistle for your car, but that you would purchase the car and get a title for that model. You could then recover it for a small fee if it was wrecked or left somewhere.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Holistic Detective posted:

Also, I don't really care about what happens to the friend activities from IV so long as they keep the ability to go get drunk at bars and then attempt to drive home drunk across half the city with 10 cop cars on your tail whilst your date freaks the gently caress out in the passenger seat.
One of the funniest things that ever happened to me in GTAIV was the first time I went drinking with Roman and tried to drive home afterwards. I started driving and got pretty far before realizing Roman was missing -- his pathfinding had caused him to get stuck humping some dumpster or something and I had to go back for him. The cops noticed I was driving drunk and proceeded to ram me into a light pole, and since I didn't want a bullet in my head I tried surrendering to them.

Naturally, halfway through the surrender animation I pressed the wrong button or something, and the cops immediately gunned me down for resisting arrest. :downs:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

davebo posted:

I would rather have the big list again too but not with the stupid crane minigame during which I always damaged the car :(

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world
I really hope the game has wildlife like RDR but I don't see it happening because it would probably have to tie into the game somehow. In RDR you could hunt and skin animals for money. It fit the time period. I feel like GTA could only have animals for the sake of being able to kill animals. The dog in the trailer is probably just from the opening cutscene to the game.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Kymera posted:

I really hope the game has wildlife like RDR but I don't see it happening because it would probably have to tie into the game somehow. In RDR you could hunt and skin animals for money. It fit the time period. I feel like GTA could only have animals for the sake of being able to kill animals. The dog in the trailer is probably just from the opening cutscene to the game.

You could hunt and skin animals to sell to an unethical fashion designer in the wealthy and fashionable Rodeo Drive inspired area (if that returns in this version of Los Santos).

They could even replace pigeons with dalmatians. If you get all 101 of them, you get a sharp new coat.

(Hopefully not, though... Overall I don't see animals adding anything of real value to GTA. At best it'll just get even more people upset)

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

I'd love if me and my doggy companion would do all sorts of motorcycle tricks off Mt. Chiliad. And by tricks I mean crash horribly against the rocks below. I hope there are dogs but I agree with the guy saying it's probably just an opening cinematic thing.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm still holding out hope we see a next-gen Vice City eventually. But hey, bright and sunny is still bright and sunny.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world
I'm hoping they bring back being able to swim underwater

FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain
Im starting to doubt we'll see other cities.. from Rockstargames.com:

We are very proud to officially announce that Grand Theft Auto V is in full development.

Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V heads to the city of Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches in the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created.

A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California.

As long as its as huge or almost as huge as SA was, ill be happy though : )

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

FetusOvaries posted:

Im starting to doubt we'll see other cities.. from Rockstargames.com:

We are very proud to officially announce that Grand Theft Auto V is in full development.

Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V heads to the city of Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches in the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created.

A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California.

As long as its as huge or almost as huge as SA was, ill be happy though : )

That doesn't lead me to doubt we'll see other cities so much as come to completely understand that we wont see them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ray and Shirley posted:

That doesn't lead me to doubt we'll see other cities so much as come to completely understand that we wont see them.

I would not at all put it past rockstar to do a "surprise" revealing of another city in next year's E3. I'm now leaning much more towards the "one city" side but the book isn't closed until an E3 passes and we hear nothing of additional cities.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I hope you can do missions for the dog.

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
I enjoyed the IGN trailer breakdown. It's pretty good for people like myself who don't know the layout of LA and the surrounding areas.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SimonNotGarfunkel posted:

I enjoyed the IGN trailer breakdown. It's pretty good for people like myself who don't know the layout of LA and the surrounding areas.

It's pretty clear that they don't either. That's the problem.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

GameTrailers did a similar thing without all the TOMMY VERCETTI C.J bullshit. They're very excited about the dog too, though.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I would not at all put it past rockstar to do a "surprise" revealing of another city in next year's E3. I'm now leaning much more towards the "one city" side but the book isn't closed until an E3 passes and we hear nothing of additional cities.

If we do hear about it, I seriously doubt it will be as late as E3. There's a slight possibility we'll be seeing this game on shelves before then, and if not, it won't be more than two or three months afterwards. I'd say it'll be clear by December if they've been keeping something under wraps, and if they aren't, Rockstar is usually pretty good at about responding to fan questions when they aren't hiding something deliberately, we'll likely see a small Q&A on their website where they clarify straight up.

That press release does seem to indicate it's just Los Santos and the surrounding region though, which is fine with me other than mild concern about jets and planes. It was mentioned earlier, but where exactly do they go if there's exactly one major metropolitan area in the region? You take off and fly around and... land back at the airport? I hope we see desert of some sort because desert is rad, and I'd love to see the return of a personal airstrip. That was the coolest property in San Andreas, being able to store dozens of cars, a jumbo jet, an assortment of planes, all at your own personal airplane graveyard. Swag as hell.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Kevyn posted:

I hope you can do missions for the dog.

*Ring ring*

"WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF"

"I cannot take you bowling right now, I am robbing a bank"

"BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK GRRRRRR"

"Okay, I pick you up in 5 minutes"

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Is it at all possible to install the enb series mod for gta 4 on the steam version of the game or do I have to and buy it for a third time?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

While it would be pretty impressive for them to put in three massive cities like in GTA: SA, I'll be happy with Los Santos split into two or three segments, as long as they keep it really detailed and have some varied landscape surrounding the city, which seems to be the case. Quality over quantity I say.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I can't believe people still think there are three cities even after Rockstar clearly stated there would not be. Give it up. It's not happening.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
I'm happy as long there's some countryside, taking a break from the city was my favorite part of San Andreas and what I missed the most in GTAIV and Saints Row 2.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I am so glad they are sticking to SoCal. While I would love to see a current-gen rendering of San Francisco, I think it would just be too much to cram in. As long as they make the outlying areas around Los Santos interesting, this setting will be excellent fun.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

marktheando posted:

I can't believe people still think there are three cities even after Rockstar clearly stated there would not be. Give it up. It's not happening.

It's a new GTA game, this is like the magnum opus of hopeless speculation. Hopeless Speculators of the future will look back on these games with reverance akin to the works of Beethoven and cave drawings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's a new GTA game, this is like the magnum opus of hopeless speculation. Hopeless Speculators of the future will look back on these games with reverance akin to the works of Beethoven and cave drawings.

That's true. I'm assuming I missed the part of the thread where people want the new game to be set in their boring not-an-iconic-american-city home town. Seems to happen in every GTA speculation thread I've read.

• Locked thread