Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I like to use the left stick for pitch and yaw, right stick or triggers for roll, and d-pad for strafing (including vertically). Map buttons and bumpers how you see fit.

Back when there were 'leet' Descent players, they would all use the keyboard exclusively so they could 'trichord' more easily: accelerating forward, sideways, and vertically simultaneously for extra speed. (So they fly around always at a peculiar angle.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
Just got a chance to give Outcast a try... it's a seriously impressive game for it's time. The contextual controls work well, the right mouse-button aiming was definitely ahead of it's time (making it feel modern even today). The AI is better than most games released today... which actually just makes me depressed at how lovely a lot of games today really are.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

What's a good 360 controller setup for the Descent games?

If I were going to use the controller, I'd probably use LS for forward/backward/left/right movement, RS for pitch and yaw, left triggers for ascent and descent, right triggers for weapons, and I have no idea what I'd bind weapon selection, map, etc to.

As it is I find it much easier to just use KB+M, though.

Alchenar posted:

Silent Storm still did 'full 3d destructable environments' better than anthing in the genre ever did.

This. I had as much fun (if not more) cheating my characters huge piles of explosives and setting up intricate demolitions as I did playing through the main game.

It's a pity the modding tools for it are so terrible; I'd kill for an X-COM style game (or even a straight remake) in the SS engine.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

teethgrinder posted:

I like to use the left stick for pitch and yaw, right stick or triggers for roll, and d-pad for strafing (including vertically). Map buttons and bumpers how you see fit.

Back when there were 'leet' Descent players, they would all use the keyboard exclusively so they could 'trichord' more easily: accelerating forward, sideways, and vertically simultaneously for extra speed. (So they fly around always at a peculiar angle.)

While you are correct in the need for trichording, you are incorrect on method of controllers used. 90% used a MS Sidewinder joystick in their right hand, and the keyboard in their left. Rolling was done with the joystick twist (something the MS Sidewinder did before anyone else). Hat switch was used for up/down/left/right, and then WASD (or ESDF in my case) was for left/right/forward/back.

8% used some other flightstick (I used a Thrustmaster Top Gun myself) and a toggle button for rolling. 1% used a SpaceORB which let people cheat by flipping 180 turns at the push of a button, and then 1% actually used a mouse with hacked mouse drivers to boost the sensitivity through the roof. I think keyboard and mouse is probably the most commonly used with the source ports out there.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Has anyone played that Gangland thing? It looks cool but I'd like to know more before I take the plunge, and since pretty much every game on GOG has reviews like "this is amazing buy this 5 stars" it's hard to trust em.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

kuddles posted:

And you have to mess around with cracks to play it, actually. If your computer has 4 GB of ram or more the game won't run unless you do some hex editing to a cracked version of the executable.

In other words, it's one of those games begging for the GoG treatment.

My memory is that the game had a lot more problems of that sort. Also that later in the game everything goes bad because of robot suits (that sound awesome but turn the game into a trial and error festival). Am I thinking of the right game?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Zachack posted:

My memory is that the game had a lot more problems of that sort. Also that later in the game everything goes bad because of robot suits (that sound awesome but turn the game into a trial and error festival). Am I thinking of the right game?

I don't know about difficulty, but they change pace and tactics drastically enough to give you whiplash. That's the S2 I know.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Anyone got any hints for what I should be doing in Darklands after making my party? I'm not entirely sure where to go after killing a few bandits in town.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Star Wolves is 60% off until tomorrow.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Thompsons posted:

Anyone got any hints for what I should be doing in Darklands after making my party? I'm not entirely sure where to go after killing a few bandits in town.

Gain levels, make money, travel the countryside righting wrongs...it's pretty self-directed.

The first chapter of the cluebook you can download as an extra is an in-character description of a simple way to get started.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Any thoughts?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zachack posted:

It doesn't go bad per se, but it's a pretty dramatic change in tone and required tactics, yeah.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

bowmore posted:

Any thoughts?

Think Homeworld the RPG.

All the usual Easter European expectations apply; good concept with some nasty implementation issues. Also the Voice Acting is some of the worth ever. There's a demo floating around somewhere.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
What about the other two Star Wolves? Is there a best one?

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I've been wanting a very story-heavy RPG lately and after years of being interested Arcanum and Planescape: Torment, I have to ask should I buy one of these games? I've played through both Baldur's Gate games and loved the story and narrative, but man the combat just gets ridiculously hard. I guess I don't have the tactical mindset necessary to play well. I know Arcanum isn't an infinity engine game, but it plays basically the same right?

TL;DR: How's the combat in Arcanum, Planescape: Torment, and hell even the Icewind Dale games?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Professor Latency posted:

I've been wanting a very story-heavy RPG lately and after years of being interested Arcanum and Planescape: Torment, I have to ask should I buy one of these games?

Get Torment. You are looking for Torment and you should play it.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

TL;DR: How's the combat in Arcanum, Planescape: Torment, and hell even the Icewind Dale games?
Hilariously unbalanced, terrible, and awesome, respectively.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm fairly certain the quality of the story is inversely proportional to the quality of the combat in each of those games. But you should probably get Planescape. Just be prepared to read and not really care much about min maxing your characters so that you can kill entire rooms at once. That's not what the game's about!

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Man, alchemists in Darklands are the biggest cunts. I go into their stores and whenever I ask to buy some actual formulas or tutor my guys they flip out and tell me to leave :argh:

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm fairly certain the quality of the story is inversely proportional to the quality of the combat in each of those games. But you should probably get Planescape. Just be prepared to read and not really care much about min maxing your characters so that you can kill entire rooms at once. That's not what the game's about!

You know, I figured that's how it worked. It's a bummer, but I think I can slog through the punchy parts after hearing literally everyone who's played it praise the story to death.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

You know, I figured that's how it worked. It's a bummer, but I think I can slog through the punchy parts after hearing literally everyone who's played it praise the story to death.

Also, another note of forewarning is that most of the optional quests in PS:T (and there are a lot of them) are absolutely terrible. They're almost entirely fetch quests that frequently require you to do ridiculous amounts of backtracking. Unfortunately they're also the primary way you'll get experience and thus levels, which will help you survive the bad combat parts. (There's one unavoidable section later in the game that requires you to slog through tons of respawning enemies that is a real pain if you're weak)

PS:T is a really weird game in a lot of ways--the combat is awful, the quests are mostly awful, and there are a whole lot of really questionable design choices behind the "game" part of the game. But somehow the story, unique characters and interesting setting make up for that so that it's still worth playing.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I don't know, I liked the combat in Torment, though I'm apparently the only one. It plays a lot like Baldur's Gate, which I wasn't that good at. In Torment you get a lot of weird toys and neat spells. I don't think it was intended to be punishing the way BG was, there were only a couple boss battles I had trouble with. Combat was a diversion from the story parts.

member001
Feb 19, 2011

If you really can't stand the game, the GOG version comes with a 'novel' PDF that has the in-game text. It assumes a fairly complete / goodish choices but you do get the story.

After I finished PS:T 3 times, I read it and still found it enjoyable. The game is a masterpiece. :)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So I heard that for some games on GOG with lost source code, they actually had to buy copies off eBay/Amazon. Kind of interesting.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New Release: Might and Magic 9 for $6

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Oof. That's a bittersweet pill of a game. It's not Ultima IX bad, but...

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Oof. That's a bittersweet pill of a game. It's not Ultima IX bad, but...
Honestly? I would like to see Ultima IX on GoG.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

duckfarts posted:

Seconding. I lost my physcial copy of it ages ago (Still have the Virtue "tarot" cards it came with though!) and as much as it sucks, its still kinda fun to play through once in a while.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So what was it that made MM9 so terrible? I mean, it only has 2.5 stars on GOG, and they give drat near everything 4.5+.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

duckfarts posted:

I have the big box with cloth map and everything but I hate the gently caress out of it. It never worked even close to OK let alone make a serious attempt at being any fun.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

GrandpaPants posted:

So what was it that made MM9 so terrible? I mean, it only has 2.5 stars on GOG, and they give drat near everything 4.5+.
Half the game was buggy. That's pretty much it. Quest triggers wouldn't work, crashes occured all the time. 3DO never fixed it after released, so MM basically ended with this as its swan song.

Bad memories all around.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Rascyc posted:

Half the game was buggy. That's pretty much it. Quest triggers wouldn't work, crashes occured all the time. 3DO never fixed it after released, so MM basically ended with this as its swan song.

Bad memories all around.

So I guess the moral of the story is that longstanding, classic RPG series should end at number 8.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Anyone know what Gangland is like, is worth a buy?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Rascyc posted:

Bad memories all around.

I seem to remember an interview with Jon van Caneghem himself saying that M&M9 was a wreck and that he never would have released it had it been his decision.

Ah well, at least the Heroes games are still going. :unsmith:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

GrandpaPants posted:

So I guess the moral of the story is that longstanding, classic RPG series should end at number 8.

On the PC anyway. A lot of JRPGs seem to pull all the stops out on #9, thinking on it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Rascyc posted:

Bad memories all around.

I was so loving crushed on the evening of MM9's release date. My friend came over to watch/play since he loved the previous games as well. I finally got to the first city's sewers and realized... this game sucks. I was heartbroken. My friend had fallen asleep long since.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Man, I've gotten all of the Might and Magic games so far, I bring them up in this thread whenever possible, but this... I just don't know. The only reason I'd get it is for completion, but I don't think I can justify that given how terrible the game itself is.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Probably the worst part was that they changed monster encounters. Instead of fighting hordes of goblins and swarms of bugs, you fought a couple monsters at a time. One reason why I really liked MM6 through 8 was how powerful magic felt. You could cast area effect spells and have corpses fly away from the center of impact.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I bought Planescape.

Haven't played much, just got out of the first area and talking to a few of these npcs. The dialog between Morte and the main character is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I bought Planescape.

Haven't played much, just got out of the first area and talking to a few of these npcs. The dialog between Morte and the main character is awesome.

Don't forget to talk to just about everyone. I'm not exaggerating when I say that most of the game happens in the dialog box.