Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I wonder what they'll end up doing with Nymeria and her pack of killer wolves? Arya leading a wolf army against the Others/Lannisters seems a little too obvious.

I can see Nymeria taking Cercei to Maul-Your-Genitals Town because the queen and a few other nothing characters are the only ones still alive on Arya's hit list. Does anyone not want to read about Cercei getting ripped to shreds by a huge wolf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

mikey triumph posted:

I can see Nymeria taking Cercei to Maul-Your-Genitals Town because the queen and a few other nothing characters are the only ones still alive on Arya's hit list. Does anyone not want to read about Cercei getting ripped to shreds by a huge wolf?

No? Because it'll all be about her myrish swamp getting demolished by nymeria's slavering maw.

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

hailthefish posted:

No? Because it'll all be about her myrish swamp getting demolished by nymeria's slavering maw.

I've wanted to read about that since AFFC. That book was basically about what a treacherous poser oval office Cercei is. I want Nymeria to pay homage to her forest of Qohor with huge, glistening fangs.

badtitties
Nov 23, 2001

The greatest survivor
that ever lived...

:911::911::911::911:
Finally caught up with this drat thread (finished the book a while ago and have actually done a re-read of them all since then) and the last two books are much better the second time through. I hated AFFC the first time, but it was MUCH better after reading ADWD.

Still enjoy the series, period blood, diarrea, rape and all.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

poo poo, I meant Nymeria.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

badtitties posted:

the last two books are much better the second time through.

I've heard this from many and am eager to try it out.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
My biggest complaint with aFFC is the Brianne chapters. Why GRUM thought it would be a good idea to have her searching for Sansa in places we knew she wasn't was beyond annoying. It was cool reading about the state Westeros was in after aSOS but it would have been much better if we either didn't know where Sansa was or if it might have been remotely possible she was going to find her.

The best part is the very end when he talks about how much of a bitch it was to write and said see you next year, George RR Martin 2005 :lol: (sorry to all of you that had to wait so long)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Brienne/Sansa thing would have made a lot more sense if Sansa's chapters were bumped back to Dance. It was really sabotaging the tension to have Brienne looking hard for that girl and for us to know "oh yeah, she's over here far away with a creepy guy who wants to bone her mom via daughter-proxy"

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Yeah exactly. I am really interested to see where that plot line is headed maybe because I'm mostly clueless where it could go. I mean the Vale is supposed to be impregnable so for now it's a good place for her to stay while people might still be looking for her.

I really don't see Little Finger ending up where he wants to be on the Iron Throne but maybe he comes to save the day at Winterfell and puts Sansa in her rightful place like he said he would? I actually have a feeling that nobody is going to end up ruling Westeros and they implement more of a free/democratic government (the way it was before the Targs took over) after Kings Landing gets raped by whitewalkers/dragons/Arya.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The Brienne/Sansa thing would have made a lot more sense if Sansa's chapters were bumped back to Dance. It was really sabotaging the tension to have Brienne looking hard for that girl and for us to know "oh yeah, she's over here far away with a creepy guy who wants to bone her mom via daughter-proxy"

I agree. The only issue with Brienne's chapters was having Sansa's next to them. Everything else is great.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
I haven't read any Wild Cards or anything else he's written, is he just in way over his head? Like he had some good ideas and they all just poured out and for a decade now he's had to really really work hard to get anything decent down.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

smarion2 posted:

Yeah exactly. I am really interested to see where that plot line is headed maybe because I'm mostly clueless where it could go. I mean the Vale is supposed to be impregnable so for now it's a good place for her to stay while people might still be looking for her.

I really don't see Little Finger ending up where he wants to be on the Iron Throne

I don't think he wants that. Littlefinger is all about FYGM and banging Cat; now that Cat is dead, Sansa is the next best thing, and that's all there is to him.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I agree. The only issue with Brienne's chapters was having Sansa's next to them. Everything else is great.

I hate agreeing with you because you're a troll or a Gurm apologist, but yes.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Ross posted:

I've heard this from many and am eager to try it out.

I re-read everything to prepare for Dance and feast is slightly less awful on second read through.. partly as you knew when to skip a few pages.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Littlefinger is a huge bitch and a nonplayer at this point. He's hardly been involved for two books, besides killing a crazy lady and running an isolated mountain keep.

Come on, George, kill the sucker off already. We've got way cooler dudes to pay attention to now. Doran Martell of the Golden Gout, anyone? :smug:

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
You guys don't think Little Finger is a player anymore? It seems to me that hes all about playing the game and tries to slowly build his status to gain more and more power. I know hes not going to do it and most likely he will be killed off but then again I miss tons of stuff you guys pick up on that I had to learn from this thread.

I don't remember reading it in this thread but what are some of your ending predictions?

I already said mine with there ending up being no ruler.
I think the wall will most certainly fall.
Arya will kill everyone on her wish list.
Ned Stark wakes up the day before he confronts Cersie at Kings Landing about the true heritage of her children meaning it was all just a crazy dream!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
"taking Cersei to maul-your-genitals town" is my new euphamism for...something, I dunno what.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

bigmcgaffney posted:

Littlefinger is a huge bitch and a nonplayer at this point. He's hardly been involved for two books, besides killing a crazy lady and running an isolated mountain keep.

Come on, George, kill the sucker off already. We've got way cooler dudes to pay attention to now. Doran Martell of the Golden Gout, anyone? :smug:

A dude who does things by such painstaking and slow measures his plans all fall apart due to novus actus interveniens? Yeah, pro player right there.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Neurosis posted:

A dude who does things by such painstaking and slow measures his plans all fall apart due to novus actus interveniens? Yeah, pro player right there.

Not his fault Dany is a huge bitch and was too enthralled by ~my Daario~ (not that I blame her, dude's sexy) to think clearly.

Actually maybe it is his fault, for not having the genes to father an attractive son.

Oberyn.... :negative:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Azure_Horizon posted:

But...we already knew Sansa's location by the last fifth of Storm of Swords. So Brienne's chapters would have to exist BEFORE then for this to work.

smarion2 posted:

I actually have a feeling that nobody is going to end up ruling Westeros and they implement more of a free/democratic government (the way it was before the Targs took over)

You are the most adorable troll :3:

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

smarion2 posted:

I actually have a feeling that nobody is going to end up ruling Westeros and they implement more of a free/democratic government (the way it was before the Targs took over) after Kings Landing gets raped by whitewalkers/dragons/Arya.

Before they took over? Prior to Aegon, Westeros was a bunch of non-affiliated warlords that ruled their own respective areas... the Targs just said "we have dragons so we should be collecting taxes from these po-dunk shitheads." As for setting up a "democratic" government, Littlefinger is already in the process of doing that with his political maneuverings; the poo poo he is pulling in the Vale/King's Landing is pretty similar to American politics for the last century or so.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Yeah that's what I mean by taking over. I don't really know what actions hes done in the Vale or King's Landing that was democratic but I think it's the direction the book will go.

whowhatwhere posted:

You are the most adorable troll
I was joking about the Ned thing. I remember GRRM saying he wasn't going to do what Lost did for their finale. I really just can't see him writing an end that has Danny or Aegon or anyone else on the throne.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Well obviously you haven't been reading the books carefully enough: Bronn is the Prince that was Promised and is going to reign, with Arya as the Spider, Jaqen!Pate as Grand Maester, Podrick Payne as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, Asha as Mistress of the Coin, and Littlefinger ruling as Hand. Because everything always comes up Littlefinger :colbert:

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

I think Littlefinger and Varys will undo eachother. Their actions and roles in court and throughout the story seem pretty similar. The only person who would be a match for Littlefinger's intrigues would be Varys and vice-versa. I think the show did a much better job of playing those two off of eachother than the books did. In the show you see a direct power-play between the two REAL rulers of Westeros.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think Littlefinger and Varys will do eachother.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 3, 2011

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Littlefinger wants to put himself in charge, Varys wants to put Aegorn or whatever the gently caress his name is in charge. They're gonna have it out.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Dominion posted:

"taking Cersei to maul-your-genitals town" is my new euphamism for...something, I dunno what.

Easy one. It's for that moment when, because of poverty, you are forced to take your wife or girlfriend to a third-rate rate restaurant (Friendly's, for example) where the food is so poorly cooked or otherwise prepared you wake up at two in the morning with an ache somewhere between your groin and your testicles.

Paraiba
May 11, 2007
Littlefinger is 100% going for the throne, or at least for installing a puppet ruler.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop
No way would he go for the throne personally. He knows it's not necessary for holding the real power, and that sitting the throne is just painting a big target on your back. He's too smart for that, definitely a puppet-ruler kinda guy.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Yeah, he'll "settle" for being Lord of Harrenhal.

Also their interests are not necessarily unaligned. Varys wants Aegon to reign; Littlefinger wants to rule. Aegon as King, Littlefinger as de facto Hand.

Also re: Sansa. Is it just me or is he kind of confused about her? It's not just that he wants her in a sort of transferred crush kinda way, but that he also thinks of her as if she were his and Catelyn's daughter. So there's a bit of cognitive dissonance and it's reflected in his actions towards her (would he *really* try to teach Catelyn the Game of Thrones?)

He's not just showing off how awesome he is as a pathetic effort to woo her by flexing his tongue; he's also genuinely trying to teach her how to play via modeling and getting her to think through his actions herself.

So now it's Littlefinger: daughter-rapist.

...And yet I still think he's awesome :gonk:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

whowhatwhere posted:

would he *really* try to teach Catelyn the Game of Thrones?

Probably not, but I think that's because:
a) Could you imagine trying to teach Catelyn anything?
b) Same age, whereas he sees Sansa as a potential "heir"

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

IRQ posted:

I think Littlefinger and Varys will do eachother.

Stop trying to break the one true pairing of Varys with that fatass Illyrio you loving rear end in a top hat. I just want to imagine him straddling Illyrio while he thrusts his dickless crotch into the fatness furiously.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

smarion2 posted:

Yeah that's what I mean by taking over. I don't really know what actions hes done in the Vale or King's Landing that was democratic but I think it's the direction the book will go.

Where are you getting that thought from? This series has constantly drilled into our heads that the lords don't give a single gently caress about the common man, and consider them on the same level as cattle. Even in a society like the Black Watch where they pick their leader - once he is picked his word is law and there is no going back or using a vote to influence his decisions. Westeros is not going towards a democracy one bit.

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Where are you getting that thought from? This series has constantly drilled into our heads that the lords don't give a single gently caress about the common man, and consider them on the same level as cattle. Even in a society like the Black Watch where they pick their leader - once he is picked his word is law and there is no going back or using a vote to influence his decisions. Westeros is not going towards a democracy one bit.

Seems a big step toward human rights and non-despotic republic in our own world was the mainstreaming of Christianity and the rise to power of the Church. Now that the Faith of the Seven has its own knights and standing army, Westeros might be on the cusp of a theocratic movement.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Ok this is totally just a theory and I'll admit could be totally off but I first got the idea after reading about Dany becoming obsessed to free all the slaves in Essos. That along with all the wildlings(free people) coming south of the wall for the first time ever seemed to back the idea up.

I could see by the end of the book Dany coming west to save the day and kill all the Others with her dragons and learning about the wildling way of life. I think it would appeal to her because she knows she isn't fit to rule and freedom seems pretty important to her.

Really I don't see too many lords making it by the end of the story who will oppose a new form of government. All the major families are basically ruined and there is no way the Frey's & Boltens survive.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Contra Calculus posted:

Stop trying to break the one true pairing of Varys with that fatass Illyrio you loving rear end in a top hat. I just want to imagine him straddling Illyrio while he thrusts his dickless crotch into the fatness furiously.

Pillar's there, just no stones.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

Thoguh posted:

Westeros is not going towards a democracy one bit.

Think about the rise of the Sparrows, Dondarrion, etc. There was a lot in Feast about the common folk tiring of the Game and finally getting an opportunity to take things into their own hands via the Sept. Combine that with Aegon's religious and civic training, general charisma, and a bloodline that the common folk associate with a more stable and peaceful time. Aegon will take Westeros by rallying the common people and the Sept behind him.

Dany will never go to Westeros at all. Instead she'll move east to Asshai, and end up ruling Essos from there. That's after we finally get to see the Shadow, which is a place analogous to Beyond-the-Wall, with dangerous fantastical creatures etc., except with a dark/light motif instead of ice/fire. This is why the Red Priests are so obsessed with the light/dark dichotomy, when the dichotomy in the north is clearly between fire/ice.

Jon will be King in the North following the destruction of the Others and the fall of the Wall. Then you have your three-headed dragon woop woop. Has a nice symmetry and fulfills most of the foreshadowing so far.

Ecco the Dolphin fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 3, 2011

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
Completely off topic but "A Dream Of Sping" is serioulsy the lamest title ever compared to the awesomeness of "A Time For Wolves". Why change that Gurm, you fat bastard?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Because ain't no Wolves gonna survive this poo poo. Of those who were wolves and are still alive:

Sansa: married and not a wolf or dead.
Arya: faceless man or dead
Bran: Tree.
Rickon: bowl of brown or insane

Of those tangentially wolves:
Jon: dead or transformed; in no way a Stark
Catelyn: hahahahahahahahahaha
Nymeria: eaten.

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

Because ain't no Wolves gonna survive this poo poo. Of those who were wolves and are still alive:

Sansa: married and not a wolf or dead.
Arya: faceless man or dead
Bran: Tree.
Rickon: bowl of brown or insane

Of those tangentially wolves:
Jon: dead or transformed; in no way a Stark
Catelyn: hahahahahahahahahaha
Nymeria: eaten.

Jon: Warging wolf-dragon-king
Arya: Badass assassin with wolf sidekick
Bran: Omniscient demi-god
Sansa: Queen of Westeros

I don't know, I think the wolf kids will do all right, although I still think "A Dream of Spring" is a good title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

mikey triumph posted:

I don't know, I think the wolf kids will do all right, although I still think "A Dream of Spring" is a good title.
I'm just terrified this means any so-called resolution will be some Bran tree-vision bullshit.