Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Anyone need the Aquaman/Manta Walmart two-pack? I also have some Marvel Legends two-packs (not the last TRU wave, the two before that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Anyone need the Aquaman/Manta Walmart two-pack? I also have some Marvel Legends two-packs (not the last TRU wave, the two before that.)

not a deadpool warpath per chance?

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Looks like Matty's previously-20% off sale on Ghostbusters 6" figures has been bumped up to 60% off. That puts the figures at an almost-reasonable $8 each (before the insane shipping fee).

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Bushifox posted:

not a deadpool warpath per chance?

No it's the wave with like Dugan and before to the start of the TRU packs.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

funtax posted:

Looks like Matty's previously-20% off sale on Ghostbusters 6" figures has been bumped up to 60% off. That puts the figures at an almost-reasonable $8 each (before the insane shipping fee).

Goddamn, that almost makes me want to order a few more figures. The 12" figures for $24 bucks is crazy

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

The Rage posted:

Goddamn, that almost makes me want to order a few more figures. The 12" figures for $24 bucks is crazy

Ugh. I didn't just want to spend 66 bucks on more figures.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I've just started collecting comic figures.

What's the typical turnaround time on figures? Specifically I'm wondering when we're going to see characters from the new DC 52 in figure form.

I want a Frankenstein and a King Shark figure so bad.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

fnordcircle posted:

I've just started collecting comic figures.

What's the typical turnaround time on figures? Specifically I'm wondering when we're going to see characters from the new DC 52 in figure form.

I want a Frankenstein and a King Shark figure so bad.

For DC Direct, it's like 8 months to a year. DCUC is basically dead so who knows if Mattel will do anything.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Fish Of Doom posted:

For DC Direct, it's like 8 months to a year. DCUC is basically dead so who knows if Mattel will do anything.

DCUC is becoming online only because DC wanted Mattel to switch the line to DCnU stuff. DCUC & Batman: Legacy will be for pre-reboot figures, while whatever the main in-store line becomes will be focused on reboot stuff.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Frankenstein myself, but even if he comes out it'll be a while (there's a lot of rebooted main characters to plow through before the more esoteric ones get made).

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Can someone fill me in on all this stuff like, subscriptions and what not? I prefer to support my local comic book store so I haven't looked into them.

Are the figures that you get from subscription services not available anywhere else or can retailers sell them?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

fnordcircle posted:

Can someone fill me in on all this stuff like, subscriptions and what not? I prefer to support my local comic book store so I haven't looked into them.

Are the figures that you get from subscription services not available anywhere else or can retailers sell them?

Well, so Mattel has had the 6" mass market license for most DC figures for a while now, and their staple line was DC Universe Classics (previously DC Superheroes, which focused solely on Batman & Superman, DCUC opened them up to make obscure characters like the Metal Men and the Doom Patrol). Mattel has a website called mattycollector.com, from which they sell their Ghostbusters and Masters of the Universe figures (which weren't deemed popular enough to warrant much by way of retail releases).

Both of these offered subscription services, wherein you'd pay $10 and agree to buy every figure that came out for the line in the next year (usually 10-12), and they'd automatically deduct the costs and ship them to you whenever they were released. All of the figures on the subscription are also released on the Matty website so that non-subscribers can grab them, and they go up on specific sale dates, but often sell out quickly (and the website gets slammed with traffic so a super popular item isn't guaranteed to still be in stock once you finally get through to the store). The one exception is that subscribers get access to a "club figure," an exclusive made available only to them and not given the general website release. None of the figures are sold to stores, but there's nothing preventing a store from buying a bunch of subscriptions and then reselling the figures as they see fit.

With the DCnU relaunch, DC requested Mattel switch gears and have their in-store figures reflect the DCnU outfits (obviously excluding things based on Young Justice or other cartoons), so Mattel switched the DCUC line to a web-only service ala Masters of the Universe. The one exception to this is the Batman: Legacy line, which will still be retail based, and features a variety of Batman figures from all throughout his history (such as Golden Age Joker & Catwoman, the Nolan films, and the Arkham Asylum/City games). Unfortunately, the subscription sign-up period for Matty stuff ended earlier this month, so you'll have to get any of the classic outfits you want on sale dates (at slightly higher cost than as a subscriber), and you won't get access to the club exclusive (Metron with his Moebius chair).

Now, as Fish of Doom said, there’s also DC Direct, which is DC’s in-house toy department. While Mattel’s figures are generally well articulated and look good, they tend to reuse the same few bodies on nearly every figure and aren’t terribly detailed. Comparatively, DC Direct makes very detailed figures that look great with unique sculpts, but have really limited articulation and only look not weird in a select range of poses. Since DC Direct figures have individual sculpts, they take a lot long to mass produce, and by the time the figures for a specific storyline come out, the storyline itself may have been done for a year or more.

Whereas Mattel's stuff is mass market (ie toy & department stores) DC Direct only sells to the direct market, which consists mainly of comic shops or places that stock TPBs (Barnes & Noble, FYE, although it’s been years since I’ve seen DCD stuff in either). They’re also prone to massive delays; they were tapped to make the figures for Mass Effect, the first wave of which took nearly two years of delays to release before EA told them to gently caress off and started shopping around for somebody else to make subsequent figures.

Currently DC Direct has shown some of the DCnU figures they’re doing (probably released next year but I don’t know offhand when), all JL-ish figures (Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and Hawkman, maybe some others I’m not remembering), while Mattel has yet to show anything.

The only other big toy line I think does subscriptions is GI Joe, but I'm not 100% on that.

Marvel stuff is largely retail, with Hasbro being in charge for a couple years now. Before them was Toybiz, who had the 6" Marvel Legends, which Hasbro hosed up and killed before switching everything to 3.75" Marvel Universe, although Legends is coming back soon and it looks like they got their act together.

This post ended up being a lot longer than I thought it was going to be.

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 1, 2011

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

fnordcircle posted:

subscriptions are the devil and Matty collector's site sucks :eng99:

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

In addition to all that other stuff, I should mention that I used to get my DCUC sets from my local comic shop for a while. Previews magazine will usually sell entire waves of figures in one go, which you can order via your local shop, many of which will offer some sort of payment plan considering Previews show for a few months ahead.

I know they did this for DCUC and Minimates, and obviously DC Direct since that's the go-to place to order those, but I'm not sure if Hasbro ever opted in to that. It was super nice when DCUC did it, since I didn't have to waste time bouncing around local stores and dealing with scalpers and other collectors, or have to resort to paying ebay prices.

And Matty's site was a lot better when I ordered the Legion set than the last time I bought from them last year. Yeah, it still got overloaded, but they added an auto-refresh script so you don't have to break your f5 to get to the order page, which is a significant improvement for a company that's so steadfastly refused to keep up with modern technology.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Sanschel posted:

Great info.

Thanks man. A lot of this is just so confusing without someone taking the time to explain it to you. I just want to waste my money on comic book toys so my wife can make fun of me, man, dunno why the means of doing so has to seem so confusing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

funtax posted:

drat, back up to $20. :(

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Mattel makes a profit at $8 a figure.

Feels great to give them $20 each.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

subscriptions are the devil and Matty collector's site sucks :eng99:

That's all you need to know. It's so bad it's not worth collecting their toys, and their toys are AWESOME.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Sanschel posted:

The only other big toy line I think does subscriptions is GI Joe, but I'm not 100% on that.

It hasn't started yet, but yeah, it's coming. They've started revealing the figures.

http://gijoeclub.com/

I don't really want to buy a sub, I just want a Dice and a Big Boa mostly :\

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

sba posted:

It hasn't started yet, but yeah, it's coming. They've started revealing the figures.

http://gijoeclub.com/

I don't really want to buy a sub, I just want a Dice and a Big Boa mostly :\

They're making an Iron Klaw figure for the 3 3/4" line? That's kind of awesome.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
By the way, Mattel doesn't pay income tax so I'd stop buying their products

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-20129155/study-many-fortune-500-cos-paid-$0-taxes/?tag=stack

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Mattel makes that much money? :stare:

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Well at least they passed the savings on to us!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just went ahead and shared that link on their facebook wall. Let's see what happens!

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

There's been a lot of banter in my apartment recently.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Incredibly tiny images of the first series of DC All-Star figs are up at Matty.

I'll pick up Larfleeze and maybe Superboy Prime. I guess folks who missed the amazing Plastic Man DCUC figure might be partially consoled by the much-shittier "Flashpoint" version. I have no clue why they're re-releasing the Batman Beyond DCUC figure, though.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

funtax posted:

I have no clue why they're re-releasing the Batman Beyond DCUC figure, though.

Probably because they have been paying more attention to the secondary market:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Universe...9#ht_500wt_1156

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Universe-Wave-4-Batman-Beyond-Figure-MIB-FREE-SHIPPING-/300613231827?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fdf1e4d3

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
When the hell did that happen? That sucker warmed pegs for the better part of a year around me.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

funtax posted:

When the hell did that happen? That sucker warmed pegs for the better part of a year around me.

no clue. the maskless variant is still worthless...I should probably put mine up for sell quick since they are re-releasing it anyway.

nofaves
Mar 26, 2005

Kublai Khan is my homeboy.
So wait, DC Universe Classics is ending, but in reality they're just changing the name and setting it up to be more like the Batman Legacy figures? I don't understand the whole "Compliments the DC Club Infinite Earths" line.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

nofaves posted:

I don't understand the whole "Compliments the DC Club Infinite Earths" line.

Yeah. That made me a little nervous because it seems to imply an intention to do a bunch of additional Rainbow Corps figures and/or awful Flashpoint-themed crap.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

DC Universe Classics is going to be relegated to overpriced online only stuff. The stuff in stores is going to be based on the current comics storylines or movies. This was actually DCs request, they want toys based on flashpoint and the new 52 universe in stores to build more interest in the current comics, which honestly makes a lot of sense for both parties.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
If it stays in stores, that's fine. I just worry that it'll leak over into the subscription side at the expense of FINISHING MY GODDAMN METAL MEN.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Isn't Mattel going to be doing a bunch of Arkham City figures that they'll actually be selling in retail stores, as opposed to the Arkham Asylum ones that were all DC Direct?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Isn't Mattel going to be doing a bunch of Arkham City figures that they'll actually be selling in retail stores, as opposed to the Arkham Asylum ones that were all DC Direct?

Yes, but they are pretty underwhelming compared to the Arkham City figures that DC Direct is putting out. There are a couple two packs that are already out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fish Of Doom posted:

Yes, but they are pretty underwhelming compared to the Arkham City figures that DC Direct is putting out. There are a couple two packs that are already out.

There's also these
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/search.aspx?search=arkham+enix

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Aw, I thought Larfleeze was gonna be a sub figure :(

And what a weird rear end selection of figures. Flashpoint Plastic Man? What the hell?

Fish Of Doom posted:

Except for the Arkham City Harley Quinn, whose Mattel version looks a lot better than the DC Direct one (though that's the only one so far). I'm looking forward to these, weird knees be damned.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sanschel posted:

I'm looking forward to these, weird knees be damned.

$60 is a little salty though.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Rhyno posted:

$60 is a little salty though.

Yeah, Square Enix prices them a bit high, but they're 9" tall, with superb detail and articulation (at least judging by previous Play Arts Kai). They'll be like giant DC Direct quality sculpts with Hot Toys level poseability (and I think Batman's cape has ball joints).

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Sanschel posted:

Yeah, Square Enix prices them a bit high, but they're 9" tall, with superb detail and articulation (at least judging by previous Play Arts Kai). They'll be like giant DC Direct quality sculpts with Hot Toys level poseability (and I think Batman's cape has ball joints).

I have a couple Square figures and their articulation is crazy. They're basically giant Revoltech figures with amazing sculpts and paint. Square honestly makes the best non-Hot Toys figures out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Cleaning out this room still any interest in
MOTCU
Molar-Skeletor
Gygor
Roboto

DCUC
Plastic Man (no suitcase)