Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!
Yea the only reason to go Teksavvy is you can get decent speed with higher caps for less money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Guitarchitect posted:

Wow - you guys are really customer service experts, and really know how to seduce new customers. :rolleyes: Why does everyone rave about them again?

Why would TekSavvy give you a credit? People run Cable and DSL in the same home and don't receive a discount for it. TekSavvy already loses money on every new Cable sign up and barely makes a profit for DSL. TekSavvy is not Bell or Rogers where they make *extra* profit double charging everyone on UBB. Why should they basically throw away money for customers wanting to sign up with DSL and switch to Cable in the future?

Usually I don't reply to stuff like this, but people seem to think they can just bargain with TSI like people do with Bell and Rogers. You can't. Service with high or unlimited data *is* the bargain you receive when switching to TekSavvy.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

Usually I don't reply to stuff like this, but people seem to think they can just bargain with TSI like people do with Bell and Rogers. You can't. Service with high or unlimited data *is* the bargain you receive when switching to TekSavvy.

I'm only fielding the idea with them because they can't say when they will be able to offer cable. If I want to sign up with them, and I buy a modem for DSL, and the next month they can offer me cable, I have to buy a new modem and I get charged an activation fee.

So in my mind, I'm better to go elsewhere, or, see what they think. If I bring them extra business with my landline, they're netting a long-term gain (landline combined with guaranteed internet customer for a long time) over the short-term loss of a $45 activation fee. I even offered to buy a new DSL modem from them and swap it back in exchange for a used cable modem, when the time comes (that's no-loss for them... I buy a $75-$100 modem that they can sell for $50, and they give me a $50 used one in return). Usually the higher-ups understand this and will make a deal, but the plebes working the phones just give out the canned responses.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Guitarchitect posted:

I'm only fielding the idea with them because they can't say when they will be able to offer cable. If I want to sign up with them, and I buy a modem for DSL, and the next month they can offer me cable, I have to buy a new modem and I get charged an activation fee.

Which, like I explained, isn't considered an inconvinience. People run both DSL and Cable all of the time. They are two different services.

Guitarchitect posted:

So in my mind, I'm better to go elsewhere, or, see what they think. If I bring them extra business with my landline, they're netting a long-term gain (landline combined with guaranteed internet customer for a long time) over the short-term loss of a $45 activation fee.

Every new Cable installation costs TekSavvy $65. They charge the customer approx. $45 if they don't purchase a modem from us, $25 if they do. In other words, they are already taking a loss at you signing up for their service, and you think it's just convinient for long term gain (when every other customer has been satisfied with paying that activation, regardless if they already have DSL) for them to take a $65 loss on your sign up?

Also, what guarantee does TSI have for someone to be a guaranteed customer for a long time? TekSavvy has no contracts.

Guitarchitect posted:

Usually the higher-ups understand this and will make a deal, but the plebes working the phones just give out the canned responses.

Actually, one of our supervisors would be kind of angry if one of us plebes tried to waste their time with having you haggle with the company. Again, TekSavvy is not in the position to haggle or bargain.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 2, 2011

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

Which, like I explained, isn't considered an inconvinience. People run both DSL and Cable all of the time. They are two different services.

Except that it's an inconvenience for me, a person who prefers the cable service over the DSL service for cost reasons (I'm signing up for 5mb DSL with the intent of upgrading to 12mb cable so no, I'm not trying to be cheap)

Lone Rogue posted:

Again, TekSavvy is not in the position to haggle or bargain.

What you're saying might all be well and true, but I won't know that until I talk to them about it, will I? The guy who responded to me first (who did so without signing a name) did so quite poorly and abruptly. I sent the same email through a second time to see what would happen, and actually got an intelligent person on the other end who talked to me about ways that I could keep the switchover costs down and actually engaged in a bit of customer service.

Every company can bargain, it's just a question of whether or not they actually want to. Hell, in my experience small business are far more likely to bargain than big ones. They could do the modem switch that I talked about in order to acquire me as a customer, and I would happily pay the $45 activation since I would more or less break even in the long run, rather than losing $120 for a new modem and activation fee. Let's be honest - as a company they make money, otherwise they wouldn't last. If they're going to put a blanket "sorry, we have no idea, try your luck!" statement over the whole cable thing, I'm going to think twice. But the second CSR I got may have clinched the deal with me... my misgivings were colored completely by the first person that responded.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Guitarchitect posted:

Let's be honest - as a company they make money, otherwise they wouldn't last.

TekSavvy succeeds based on modem sales (much larger profit) and the volume of subscribers. When you have no contracts, you can't haggle with someone to lose money on the things you can guarantee, which is the sign-up costs. Again, this isn't, "TekSavvy waves the $45 in profit they make", this is, "TekSavvy loses $65 on your sign-up".

There are several ways to keep your costs down to do this without having to worry about what TekSavvy is going to haggle with you. You could purchase a used DSL modem on Kijiji. You can see what deal you can get from Canada Computers when the cable is available in your area. However, expecting a supervisor who has to deal with dozens of calls for people currently with service every day is going to do yard sale routine with you is unrealistic. But don't have me stop you. Keep calling and e-mailing.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

However, expecting a supervisor who has to deal with dozens of calls for people currently with service every day is going to do yard sale routine with you is unrealistic. But don't have me stop you. Keep calling and e-mailing.

who said i was trying to get in touch with a supervisor? I got a lovely customer service rep the first time, and a decent one the second time. Relax.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Guitarchitect posted:

who said i was trying to get in touch with a supervisor? I got a lovely customer service rep the first time, and a decent one the second time. Relax.

You said you wanted a higher-up.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

You said you wanted a higher-up.

I said "Usually the higher-ups understand this and will make a deal, but the plebes working the phones just give out the canned responses."

I understand how the heirarchy works, and was mostly just lamenting that the people manning the phones can't see the long term benefit of offering a compromise to people in specific situations (like me, I'm moving at the end of the week and need to make a switch now - wanted to see if TSI would play ball to get me as a customer, otherwise I'm going to measure pros/cons objectively).

The point was that higher-ups understand bigger ideas about where and how to take a short loss for the sake of a long-term gain. IE: help me out and you've got me - give me a lovely canned response and you probably won't net me as a customer, which loses them more in the long run. It's the same reason that you always ask to speak to a manager when you're dissatisfied at a restaurant, a store, or anywhere else.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Guitarchitect posted:

The point was that higher-ups understand bigger ideas about where and how to take a short loss for the sake of a long-term gain. IE: help me out and you've got me - give me a lovely canned response and you probably won't net me as a customer, which loses them more in the long run. It's the same reason that you always ask to speak to a manager when you're dissatisfied at a restaurant, a store, or anywhere else.

Higher-ups = Supervisors and Team Leaders who do not take calls. Anyway, I'm not going to get into a semantics debate.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

Higher-ups = Supervisors and Team Leaders who do not take calls. Anyway, I'm not going to get into a semantics debate.

Yes, I understand what higher-ups are... I'm saying I wasn't demanding one, just lamenting the fact that those are the ones that would make the deal, not the plebes. But since there's no line to them, I can't. So I'm stuck with the people at the bottom who spout canned responses.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Guitarchitect posted:

Wow - you guys are really customer service experts, and really know how to seduce new customers. :rolleyes: Why does everyone rave about them again?

Its not like they wouldn't mind waving fees that they charge themselfs, the costs your paying to get your cable up and running? Yea those go to rogers, dsl to bell.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The main issue with Teksavvy and the source of the lion's share of the complaints against them is that, due to the way Telcos work in Canada, Teksavvy literally has no choice but to work with their competition, who in turn are legally required to provide them with the service. Because of this, all of the big ISPs that are backing the UBB decision are doing their damnedest to give Teksavvy as much trouble as possible. Teksavvy HAS to send out Bell/Rogers/whoever, who in turn only provide Teksavvy with the lowest priority tier of service with the least convenient range of hours, in a bid to make their own service more appealing. While the big ISPs are required to provide a tech, they are NOT required to provide them on short notice, so no matter how mission-critical something is, Teksavvy has absolutely no way to send out a tech on short notice, nor can they make any special exceptions. Let's pretend that McDonald's had a monopoly on beef, they were the only fast food restaurant that could provide it. Burger King and Wendy's (Teksavvy) got the FDA to mandate that McDonald's provide beef to those two restaurants, their competition, but doesn't provide much of a minimum standard of how this should be done. How much grade A beef is going to end up at those restaurants? It sucks, and it sucks hard, but it's the best they can do unless the CRTC does some serious smiting.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Guitarchitect posted:

So in my mind, I'm better to go elsewhere, or, see what they think. If I bring them extra business with my landline, they're netting a long-term gain (landline combined with guaranteed internet customer for a long time) over the short-term loss of a $45 activation fee. I even offered to buy a new DSL modem from them and swap it back in exchange for a used cable modem, when the time comes (that's no-loss for them... I buy a $75-$100 modem that they can sell for $50, and they give me a $50 used one in return). Usually the higher-ups understand this and will make a deal, but the plebes working the phones just give out the canned responses.

You should ask the CRTC why Bell and Rogers own all the consumer infrastructure and why we don't have municipalities actually owning the last "mile".

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
So I'll be switching my internet to TekSavvy soon.

Anyways, called up Rogers to cancel today and they gave us a disconnection date of December 2. TekSavvy said that you had to cancel Rogers before signing up with them, right? However when I try to sign up at teksavvy.com, it can only let me choose a (Rogers) Current Provider's deactivation date of November 15 to November 22, NOT December 2. What's the deal with that?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Constellation I posted:

So I'll be switching my internet to TekSavvy soon.

Anyways, called up Rogers to cancel today and they gave us a disconnection date of December 2. TekSavvy said that you had to cancel Rogers before signing up with them, right? However when I try to sign up at teksavvy.com, it can only let me choose a (Rogers) Current Provider's deactivation date of November 15 to November 22, NOT December 2. What's the deal with that?

We have to fit it into a transfer window. Basically, you are still more than able to do it, you just have to fit it into the transfer window. The website tells you it has to be between 12 and 20 days of your deactivation date. So basically, no issue, just do it in 12 days.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I see. So, just to confirm, say if I choose a date of November 22. On the day of November 22, my Rogers internet is still active (since real disconnect date is Dec. 2), but TekSavvy internet is also already activated. All I basically have to do is just plug in the new Teksavvy-provided modem on this day and I'll have TekSavvy internet?

Also, another question, what are the chances that on December 2, Rogers (wrongfully) physically disconnects the cable off at my place disrupting the TekSavvy internet? I've read lots of horror stories of this occurring and I hope it doesn't happen to me. But you never know with Rogers.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
What Rogers does is provisions the line for your new modem. So basically, your Rogers modem will stop working and you replace it with your TekSavvy modem. Your line technically stays active but is now under TekSavvy.

If you do your transfer properly (speak to a TekSavvy CSR if you think you might be doing something wrong. If you want I can help you with any questions), you shouldn't have an issue. Sometimes there's problems but transfers usually go smooth because there is a lot of time before we get to the disconnection date.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I just want to have no downtime pretty much. I guess I was just confused with the online form asking for my Rogers deactivation date, when it's not really what it's asking.

Anyway, just to confirm a few things again:
1. cancel Rogers (already done, disconnect date Dec. 2)
2. choose a date 12 to 20 days before actual disconnection date (say Nov. 22)
3. on Nov. 22, Rogers cable modem will stop working, switch to new TekSavvy modem, should work?
4. on December 2, pray that Rogers doesn't physically come and cut the cable off at the cable box

Can you help confirm this? Also, any info on #4? I've read lots of horror stories with that one on dslreports. Thanks a lot, btw.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Constellation I posted:

3. on Nov. 22, Rogers cable modem will stop working, switch to new TekSavvy modem, should work?
4. on December 2, pray that Rogers doesn't physically come and cut the cable off at the cable box

This is where you're mixed up. Your Rogers cable will still be on until December 2nd. on December 2nd, your rogers cable will stop working because you have the wrong modem plugged into it. You then switch your modem to the properly provisioned modem, do a hard boot and you're good.

Sometimes it can take up until midnight but generally you won't be out of Internet for very long.

When you send in your form to TekSavvy for a transfer, nothing is automatic. Everything has to be paid, Rogers has to glean the information and in 48 hours after we send it to Rogers, they will confirm for us if the transfer will be done for the date selected (12/2/2011).

Hope that helps!

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Thanks, that helps a lot. So I guess the dates I'm able to select on the teksavvy form doesn't really matter other than the fact that it will be my monthly start date with TekSavvy?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Constellation I posted:

Thanks, that helps a lot. So I guess the dates I'm able to select on the teksavvy form doesn't really matter other than the fact that it will be my monthly start date with TekSavvy?

When you choose Transfer from Rogers, you need to pick your exact date of cancellation from Rogers. Otherwise, it will get rejected. If your date is in the future and you cannot select it (like your situation) it just means you have to fill the form a bit later to fit into the transfer.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

I've been trying to convince my dad for the better part of this year to switch from Bell. I never asked him before February about what he pays at home for internet. He explained that the best service we could get was 5mb down .5mb up. Since I game and stream my games for friends, my sister spends the better part of her day on youtube, and both my parents stream news from Peru for hours a day we kept reaching our 60GB limit waaay early. So apparently he started paying for them to increase the cap. They told him he couldn't unless he bought a better plan which advertises better speeds. The catch was due to where we live we couldn't get faster than a peak of 6mb down at the best of times. So he decided to go ahead and pay (if I remember correctly) $95 for a 5mb/.5mb 120GB cap + 25GB overcharge at $25 connection through Bell.

Now he wants to get Netflix and he asked me about it and how it would affect our connection. I told him it'd be nearly impossible to have such Netflix given our cap and the fact that we reach it monthly with the slight overcharge. He asked me about changing ISPs and I immediately said go with TekSavvy. His only problem with doing that is that his business he has owned for 18 years has used the same @sympatico.ca email as his main email. Cancelling with Bell means losing his email after so many years and he's afraid of how it would affect his business. I looked into it for him and apparently Bell is willing to charge some amount extra to put a forwarder on the email if he cancels, supposedly being a monthly fee to forward emails. He doesn't want to get into that but still wants to get Netflix and kill the connection a little more. He refuses to also slowly change over to a new free email address because it's a recognized and "respectable" email address. :rolleyes:

I really want to convince him to switch out of Bell ASAP to save him some money and let him have better service. I'm moving out soon so I couldn't really be bothered but he needs to learn to not let himself be overcharged for service he isn't getting.

Not really sure why I'm listing this all out but I'm pretty tired of reading all the poo poo Bell does and then realizing my dad is getting poo poo-service too.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I don't know how strong of an email provider they are, but http://www.mail.com/ is a pretty good place to go if you want a "respectable" email name. I mean, firstnamelastname@mail.com sounds quite respectable and easy to remember.

I can understand the fear of losing an email. I still have my hotmail from 1997. I get pretty much nothing but junkmail in it but losing it would make me sad.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Have him buy his own domain name, run it though google apps (50/yr). Best solution.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Rawrbomb posted:

Have him buy his own domain name, run it though google apps (50/yr). Best solution.

You don't even have to pay the $50 if you get Google Apps Free!

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

Oh yeah, getting the new email isn't a problem. It's telling whatever thousands of clients the new email and such he doesn't want to do. Google Apps is awesome.

Is TekSavvy still the consensus on best choice in Southern Ontario?

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I'm helpin my sister research new ISP since her discount with Rogers is up. Right now she has Express (15mbps down .5mbps up 60gb cap) the speed is generally fine but the cap is getting destroyed by Netflix. I suggested Teksavvy but she lives in the Annex in Toronto which would mean she would be on the Dupont POI which is absolute poo poo according to DSLreports. Distributel looks like a good alternative but I can't find any reviews on their service for her general area. Does anyone have an idea on the quality?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Constellation I posted:

As Lone Rogue said, choose the exact same date as your cancellation from Rogers and be sure to mention that in your email that it will be a transfer of service. As I think I have mentioned previously in the thread, connecting TekSavvy before disconnecting from Rogers will actually increase the chances of something going wrong, not decrease it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

kuddles posted:

As Lone Rogue said, choose the exact same date as your cancellation from Rogers and be sure to mention that in your email that it will be a transfer of service. As I think I have mentioned previously in the thread, connecting TekSavvy before disconnecting from Rogers will actually increase the chances of something going wrong, not decrease it.

I recently did the switch and here's what I have done:
1. Set a date with Rogers for the service termination (Oct 4th)
2. Signed up for Teksavvy. Told them I was terminating my Rogers service on Sept 22nd (yes, i lied).
3. On Sept 22nd, in the evening at some point, got the modem for Teksavvy (I had it, it was an old Rogers modem), plugged it in and connected it to my gateway.
4. Enjoyed Teksavvy internet.

I was without internet for a grand total of 1 minute (or however long it passed between disconnecting the Rogers modem and connecting and starting up the new one).

I do not know if my situation is unique, or if I'm lucky. Others on this thread may/do know more about this than I do. But...it worked for me.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
You are able to run two services on the same line but it's a use at your own risk situation. People have run two modems with a splitter on the same cable line without issue while others couldn't do it at all. I generally suggest to customers not to do it but if they insist I just continue the order. I've had a few calls where people complained about their delays and service problems and right in the notes is, "cx wanted to run two connections on same line. Explained to cx there could be issues, cx said continue order" and they received no credit for their problems because they understood the risk.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
My switch from rogers to teksavvy could not have been easier. All I had to do was power cycle my cable modem on the day of cancellation. Didn't even need to reboot my router.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

When you choose Transfer from Rogers, you need to pick your exact date of cancellation from Rogers. Otherwise, it will get rejected. If your date is in the future and you cannot select it (like your situation) it just means you have to fill the form a bit later to fit into the transfer.

Thanks for this, this makes everything much clearer. But as feedback, this should be way more obvious to new customers when signing up though.

kuddles posted:

What e-mail? I guess if I choose in the sign-up form that I have Rogers and it asks for my disconnect date, that it's explicit that I'm doing a transfer of service isn't it? If not, I'll try to find a form to put that in I guess.

rhag posted:

I do not know if my situation is unique, or if I'm lucky. Others on this thread may/do know more about this than I do. But...it worked for me.

Yeah, this is what was confusing me. Seems like from what I've read online, a lot of people switched to TekSavvy the way you did. But I've also read that for some of them, a Rogers tech actually came and physically cut the line at their cable box during/after their disconnect date.

Anyway, I'll sign up in a week or so and put in my actual Rogers disconnect date as you reps suggested.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Constellation I posted:

Yeah, this is what was confusing me. Seems like from what I've read online, a lot of people switched to TekSavvy the way you did. But I've also read that for some of them, a Rogers tech actually came and physically cut the line at their cable box during/after their disconnect date.

Anyway, I'll sign up in a week or so and put in my actual Rogers disconnect date as you reps suggested.

With the cut cable, i can only imagine that they were not clear enough when they discontinued the service that they'll still have internet via cable, with another provider (or maybe the person on the phone messed things up).

I told that rogers lady specifically TO NOT touch my cable line.
"But we need to send a technician"...
"No, you DO NOT. Don't touch it or i'll make a fuss. Don't cut my cable."

Maybe the fact that i didnt have TV for 6 months helped. Maybe not. But no technician came. So far, so good.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm hoping that going with TekSavvy doing the transfer of service on the day of disconnection will avoid that issue entirely.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Constellation I posted:

I'm hoping that going with TekSavvy doing the transfer of service on the day of disconnection will avoid that issue entirely.

You shouldn't have any problems at all. When I cancelled with Rogers I gave them my 30 days notice, then immediately called up Teksavvy to tell them the date I cancelled on and they made that the activation date. Absolutely no problems the day of, just plugged in the modem and it worked.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

MasterBuilder posted:

I'm helpin my sister research new ISP since her discount with Rogers is up. Right now she has Express (15mbps down .5mbps up 60gb cap) the speed is generally fine but the cap is getting destroyed by Netflix. I suggested Teksavvy but she lives in the Annex in Toronto which would mean she would be on the Dupont POI which is absolute poo poo according to DSLreports. Distributel looks like a good alternative but I can't find any reviews on their service for her general area. Does anyone have an idea on the quality?

I'm on Dupont, having started on Scarlett when I first switched last year. There was some initial slowdowns a year ago when people switched in droves from Rogers, and Dupont was simply swamped with customers. Speeds came back, and all was good for a long time.

However, there's a stop sell in the Dupont area (and a few others) for the time being while they sort things out.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
So apparently I'm unable to get DSL2 in my area, but about 4 or 5 blocks from me, my friend is. I'm in downtown Montreal (the Pepsi Forum at Atwater), she's down near the Atwater Market.

What the gently caress? Is there a way to find out which areas have been updated to DSL2?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Migishu posted:

So apparently I'm unable to get DSL2 in my area, but about 4 or 5 blocks from me, my friend is. I'm in downtown Montreal (the Pepsi Forum at Atwater), she's down near the Atwater Market.

What the gently caress? Is there a way to find out which areas have been updated to DSL2?

drat, that sucks. I think Westmount is also ADSL2-less, I'm thinking the underpass down Atwater just past René-Lévesque is the cutoff point. If I was to venture a guess I'd say west of Decarie is fine, south of René Lévesque/the highway is fine...no idea on North and East.

In other news, after a grueling 5 hours of wrestling with confusing-as-hell wiring in my new place, my Teksavvy is now up!

Just over 21 megabits down, 4.7 megabits up. Fastest connection I've ever had by miles.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
November 15th is D-Day on the UBB decision, reports Michael Geist.