Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

dms666 posted:

I didnt try doing anything yet, wasnt sure what to try

Not even really sure how to lube them, they look like these, http://www.baysideblades.com.au/inline_skates_dt/skate_accessories/skate_bearings/red_pro_abec9_4pack.htm , do I have to pull off that rubber seal? If so, is there an easy way?

Some seals can be removed and some can't (i.e. if you remove they won't go back on)

My bearings had seals that couldn't be removed but I took them off anyway leaving the inner side on each bearing to help clean them more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXmZhfvH9y0
That vid should help you with your bearings.

Just don't use WD40 as a lubricant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Has anyone tried the kwikhands stick handling package they tout on howtohockey? i've been doing some of the usa hockey stuff in my garage recently, and after about 2 weeks have noticed some slight improvements, but i like the idea of being better with the puck in general. just looking to see if anyone has any experience with it.

also, lazerwolf, have you ever been to open hockey at the voorhees skate? what's the crowd like there if so?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

cenzo posted:

Has anyone tried the kwikhands stick handling package they tout on howtohockey? i've been doing some of the usa hockey stuff in my garage recently, and after about 2 weeks have noticed some slight improvements, but i like the idea of being better with the puck in general. just looking to see if anyone has any experience with it.

also, lazerwolf, have you ever been to open hockey at the voorhees skate? what's the crowd like there if so?

I haven't been there but I haven't heard the best things about the league there. I'm not sure if that translates into their open hockey as well. I play at Deptford Skate center (off of Delsea drive) and we usually do an open hockey Wednesday nights.

As far as kwikhands goes, I don't have experience with it personally but I've tried using a golf ball to help my stickhandling and it works pretty well.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

lazerwolf posted:

I haven't been there but I haven't heard the best things about the league there. I'm not sure if that translates into their open hockey as well. I play at Deptford Skate center (off of Delsea drive) and we usually do an open hockey Wednesday nights.

As far as kwikhands goes, I don't have experience with it personally but I've tried using a golf ball to help my stickhandling and it works pretty well.

I haven't been to deptford skate center since like my 8th birthday. Do they still have that lacquered wooden floor and cinder-block walls?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

cenzo posted:

I haven't been to deptford skate center since like my 8th birthday. Do they still have that lacquered wooden floor and cinder-block walls?

Tiled floor now but still cinder blocks on the back wall. Its cheap and its the same group of guys every weeks. We usually field like 2 teams of 6-7 guys each.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

lazerwolf posted:

Some seals can be removed and some can't (i.e. if you remove they won't go back on)

My bearings had seals that couldn't be removed but I took them off anyway leaving the inner side on each bearing to help clean them more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXmZhfvH9y0
That vid should help you with your bearings.

Just don't use WD40 as a lubricant.

Thanks, that video and this video were very helpful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEkAeVVivK8&feature=related

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Hey xzzy, any plans to check out that Bauer Experience in Bridgeview today? They have all their new gear free for the public to try.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Lawnie posted:

Hey xzzy, any plans to check out that Bauer Experience in Bridgeview today? They have all their new gear free for the public to try.

I'll be at the Orange County, CA one if anyone from my side of the woods wants to start "testing" the new equip for realz.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Apparently I get to skate at the United Center tonight as part of a season ticket holders "road watch" viewing party.

:dance::3::3::dance:

nothing beats having a girlfriend whos dad has excellent season tickets, and likes me ... thats the crucial part.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably not, as I didn't know about it until you posted. ;)

That's quite a ways out of the way for me, and I got hockey tonight (and a hawks game to watch).

It is kind of cool though.. the fact that they're going to have "Bauer Fit Experts" there is interesting, considering the issues I've had with skate fitting.

edit - also, gently caress them for forcing me to have a facebook account to get event details. I don't have a facebook account, you cretins! :argh:

xzzy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 3, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Thufir posted:

I just got an email about a pretty sweet deal from the Predators:

Get an hour of icetime at Bridgestone arena plus 40 tickets to a weekday preds game for $1000. I bet playing on the big-time ice would be fun.

Looks like my team might be pairing up with another from our league to play a game at Bridgestone in the next few weeks. That would rule pretty hard.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Thufir posted:

Looks like my team might be pairing up with another from our league to play a game at Bridgestone in the next few weeks. That would rule pretty hard.

Yeah playing at an NHL rink is pretty amazing, the ice is so perfect, dont pass it up if you can get the teams to do it.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
A group I play with is renting out the Winter Classic ice this year. Man, am I looking forward to that skate.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

dms666 posted:

Yeah playing at an NHL rink is pretty amazing, the ice is so perfect, dont pass it up if you can get the teams to do it.

Someone never played at Reunion Arena!

Acethomas posted:

I'll be at the Orange County, CA one if anyone from my side of the woods wants to start "testing" the new equip for realz.

I don't know if it's worth it to drive 70 minutes each way all way way out to Yorba Linda to just try out a few new sticks, but maybe.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
How are hockey sticks measured? Hockeymonkey has a sale for the X40's and it says length 60", but when using a measuring stick, that's barely enough for a 5'6" midget. It does say Senior though.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Green Submarine posted:

A group I play with is renting out the Winter Classic ice this year. Man, am I looking forward to that skate.

no way! I would kill to do that

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.

Pr0phecy posted:

How are hockey sticks measured? Hockeymonkey has a sale for the X40's and it says length 60", but when using a measuring stick, that's barely enough for a 5'6" midget. It does say Senior though.

You should really only pay attention to whether it is senior, intermediate or junior, which you did. You need a senior size. The actual length doesn't really matter, you will have to cut it anyway at 5'6".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So I don't know if anyone remembers me bitching about outside edges and crossovers a ways back, but I'm still having issues with them.

I've scoured youtube for as much info as I can, and I can't find an exercise that helps me work towards crossovers. To simplify the problem a bit, I'm also having problems with glide/tight turns, as described in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFXtbjaAZdY

I think I'm getting my feet situated more or less correct, but almost all of my weight is going to the outside foot and it's more of a stop turn so I lose almost all my momentum. Trying to lean more on the outside edge of the inside foot, it feels like it's going to slide out from under me.. so I guess I need more of an angle?

But it feels like my ankles are gonna collapse from under me and I'm gonna crash to the ice. Is this just one of those things where I have to dive into turns and fall over a thousand times before I get it?

xzzy fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 4, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Only one data point, but I use an Intermediate 67 flex TotalOne and the shaft lasted 9 months before it snapped. It was 99.999% wristers during games. I do practice slappers during stick time though, but only because it was pathetic.

Better drop the stick quickly if you break it this Sunday during your game - I'll call you for an equipment violation if not! (just got assigned to ref your game haha)

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Sumixam posted:

You should really only pay attention to whether it is senior, intermediate or junior, which you did. You need a senior size. The actual length doesn't really matter, you will have to cut it anyway at 5'6".

Also at that height I'd recommend a light flex. It will feel normal after you cut it down.

e: Unless you are really, really strong. Like Nathan Gerbe.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

So I don't know if anyone remembers me bitching about outside edges and crossovers a ways back, but I'm still having issues with them.

I've scoured youtube for as much info as I can, and I can't find an exercise that helps me work towards crossovers. To simplify the problem a bit, I'm also having problems with glide/tight turns, as described in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFXtbjaAZdY

I think I'm getting my feet situated more or less correct, but almost all of my weight is going to the outside foot and it's more of a stop turn so I lose almost all my momentum. Trying to lean more on the outside edge of the inside foot, it feels like it's going to slide out from under me.. so I guess I need more of an angle?

But it feels like my ankles are gonna collapse from under me and I'm gonna crash to the ice. Is this just one of those things where I have to dive into turns and fall over a thousand times before I get it?

Based on what you've said about it being more of a stop-turn it sounds like you're not edging enough with either leg. In the video, you'll notice that the player's edges are really biting. Here's a good drill to practice setting your outside edge.

I'm also really fond of a drill where you skate along one of the lines and alternate kicking one leg over the other, essentially making large C cuts with only your outside edges. Here's an example, though you can do this in a straight line to start.

Really, though, the long and short of it is to get on the ice and practice until the zam driver kicks you off.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I spent basically an entire shift fighting a guy for position in front of our net last night, I think I was more gassed at the end of that than any of my end-to-end rushing shifts.

The ref was very hawkish in walking us, I guess because most of the time any front-of-net engagement that lasts longer than 5 seconds in our league usually ends up in some sort of penalty.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Better drop the stick quickly if you break it this Sunday during your game - I'll call you for an equipment violation if not! (just got assigned to ref your game haha)

Aw poo poo! Is it a penalty to do snow angels for a goal celebration?

I had something come up and won't be there :(

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 4, 2011

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm having difficulty expressing how much I love this video.

edit

Here's a bunch of them.. Every hockey camp I went to as a kid showed these things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Based on what you've said about it being more of a stop-turn it sounds like you're not edging enough with either leg. In the video, you'll notice that the player's edges are really biting. Here's a good drill to practice setting your outside edge.

I think my ankle would collapse if I tried to do that right now. I like to think I tighten my ankle laces sufficiently.. but I still have enough side to side room in that area and it feels like my ankle has to do all the work. What kind of slack in the ankle region is typical?

Granted, my leg strength isn't anything to brag about right now. Is there some basic level of fitness I need before I can hold that kind of angle on the outside edge?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Your skate should feel like it's an extension of your foot, totally filling the boot. Your ankles should feel like they have plenty of support. If they're rolling too much in the boot then your skates might be too big.

I wear a size 8 shoe and a size 6 skate. If I played competitively I'd probably move to a 5.5 skate, with my toes jammed in.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

What kind of slack in the ankle region is typical?

It varies between players. I like my skates relatively loose because I can get more power off of my toes.

Here's what Laura Stamm thinks, she's pretty smart.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I think I'm in the market for a new stick. I'm currently using Vapor X:20 shaft and blade combo 87 flex. I haven't tried cutting it down but I feel my game could benefit from another 2 inches off of the shaft which would put the flex around 96. That seems way too much flex for my game (mostly wristers) so I'm thinking of getting a 77 flex in either the Vapor APX 2 piece or a clearance X:60 2 piece combo.

E: The shaft for the X:20 is 52" originally and I'm not sure the total length with the blade but the shaft for the X:60 is 54". I know the X:60 is tapered and a lower kickpoint so maybe the hosel of the blade is shorter than the X:20 standard blade? I'm just concerned with keeping the stick a light flex because I'm probably not loading the 87 flex nearly enough

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 4, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Your skate should feel like it's an extension of your foot, totally filling the boot. Your ankles should feel like they have plenty of support. If they're rolling too much in the boot then your skates might be too big.

I wear a size 8 shoe and a size 6 skate. If I played competitively I'd probably move to a 5.5 skate, with my toes jammed in.

This gets back to my foot size problems that I brought up a couple pages ago.. I need a pretty large (and/or loose) toe cap otherwise I get crippling pain in my little toe. Seriously, it can get so bad I literally can't walk for an hour.

I'm not saying my skates are too big.. I was measured and remeasured and heat treated the skates and everything checks out. But cramming my foot into a tiny skate is never going to be an option. I would certainly like to be able to do that, but it ain't happening.

How do you quantify "rolling too much?" Like, if I put all my weight on the inside edge of a skate, what kind of gap is reasonable between the inside of my ankle and the boot?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

How do you quantify "rolling too much?" Like, if I put all my weight on the inside edge of a skate, what kind of gap is reasonable between the inside of my ankle and the boot?

If you're talking literally about your talus bone (the pointy bone on your ankle) there shouldn't be any gap at all, it should be firmly locked into the boot as the ankle padding is designed to fit around the talus.

If you're talking about your lower leg at the top of the skate, that depends. I like my skates where I can move them a good 4 inches or so from side to side without moving my knee.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

I don't really know how to answer that, particularly because it's probably a function of both the size of your foot/leg and the size of the skate. I don't think you should have any gap between your ankle and the boot (at least up to the top of the ankle). I'm headed to lunch-league in about 20 minutes, so I'll try to verify this. Maybe take a video. You want as much support as you can get without feeling like your ability to roll in/out/forward/back is being hindered. That varies widely by person.

Also, pay attention to bewbies' link - Laura Stamm is pretty much the de facto source on power skating.

Oh also - as for the skate/toe thing, I think we've discussed this before, but you can get specific parts of a boot punched out for more room. That way you don't have to sacrifice overall fit for one hot-spot. What size shoe/skate do you wear?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Anyone else in here have asthma? I'm wondering if anyone does anything besides taking their inhaler to get ready for the game? Sometimes I'm okay with just my inhaler, but sometimes I'm just gased by the 3rd.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Is Laura Stamm the woman that was featured on HNIC a while back where NHL players go to her for improvements to their stride? They showed some dude's before and after and he was ridiculously faster and more stable after a few weeks with her.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Vital Signs posted:

Anyone else in here have asthma? I'm wondering if anyone does anything besides taking their inhaler to get ready for the game? Sometimes I'm okay with just my inhaler, but sometimes I'm just gased by the 3rd.

I'm having similar issues where I am running out steam during the game. It seems to be a mixture of asthma, conditioning, and in the case of one of my teams facing an absurd amount of shots. I recently started doing HIIT cardio, which is supposed to better condition you for alternating between periods of high activity and rest (e.g. skating a 60-120 second shift and then resting on the bench).

As for medication, I have a daily inhaler (I've used Advair and Dulera at different times), I try to take my Albuterol inhaler when I get to the rink (about 30-45 minutes before I play), and if I'm really having trouble with my asthma that day, then I'll use my nebulizer instead of my inhaler. For night games, I've noticed that using the Fluticasone nasal spray before I play seems to help, but I am only supposed to take it once per day.

I think a lot of it comes down to conditioning, but it may not be a bad idea to keep an inhaler on the bench and if you're really having trouble breathing, then you may need to skip a shift or two. Unfortunately for me, I'm a goalie, so a lot of times I try to just tough it out and get through it, which isn't always the best idea.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
A couple guys on my team have athsma and they just bring their inhalers on the bench. Been a couple times where one guy forgot his inhaler, so they share one of the others, like real teammates.

Edit: ^ If you're a goalie who'd like to keep an inhaler within reach, you could just put it inside an extra (empty) water bottle on top of the net.

Also, I'd like to shout out a hearty "gently caress you" to the Bauer Invitational for blowing into town and taking over every rink in sight today so most of the Friday afternoon rats in Chicagoland - and my instructional league session - have been canceled. I took the day off specifically to go to rat. :mad:

bytebark fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 4, 2011

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

bewbies posted:

I'm having difficulty expressing how much I love this video.

edit

Here's a bunch of them.. Every hockey camp I went to as a kid showed these things.

That's great.

Players should be required to pass a test and get a hockey license before being allowed to play in competitive leagues. I'm always amazed by how many people spend money to play hockey in beer leagues but absolutely refuse to even attempt to learn the most basic skills of the game. Hockey really suffers when people ignore the basics and refuse to learn.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Sumixam posted:

That's great.

Players should be required to pass a test and get a hockey license before being allowed to play in competitive leagues. I'm always amazed by how many people spend money to play hockey in beer leagues but absolutely refuse to even attempt to learn the most basic skills of the game. Hockey really suffers when people ignore the basics and refuse to learn.

Hey, as a lovely beer leaguer I would sign up in a second for someone to drill me on stuff like that but it's just not available for adults in my area. If I didn't play in a league I would only be able to get one the ice once or twice a month.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 4, 2011

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

True, it's definitely tough to get ice time to work on that kind of stuff. But anyway at least you're reading a thread about how to improve which is more than most people do I think. Just try to take in some pointers from the various videos that are available and try to consciously make an effort to implement them in your next game. Or use your warm up time to work specifically on crossovers for example.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pleads posted:

Is Laura Stamm the woman that was featured on HNIC a while back where NHL players go to her for improvements to their stride? They showed some dude's before and after and he was ridiculously faster and more stable after a few weeks with her.

Laura Stamm literally wrote the book on power skating.. as near as I've been able to tell, prior to the first edition of her power skating book back in the 70's, skating instruction was more of a verbal tradition. She standardized the techniques and vocabulary, and basically everything since has built off that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Oh also - as for the skate/toe thing, I think we've discussed this before, but you can get specific parts of a boot punched out for more room. That way you don't have to sacrifice overall fit for one hot-spot. What size shoe/skate do you wear?

My shoe size is 9, and I'm currently wearing Easton skates, size 8 EE. I have a pair of 8.5 E Reeboks I wore for a while, which were punched and stretched, and I still had pain issues.

As stated before, I've learned to work with my feet issues and can skate for 90 minutes without significant problems.. but this conversation has me thinking I need to revisit it, if it turns out my skate lacing is limiting my development.