Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I started reading Homestuck shortly before that (on the page when John was freaking out about Gushers being made by Betty Crocker) and I can confirm that yes, that painting has always been there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

dumb brunette posted:

Hey I have a question unconnected to Lord English stuff:

Was the horse painting always on this page? I could have sworn it wasn't ... :raise:

It's been there. I remember because it was the first time I ever saw that painting, and it's not something I could ever forget :swoon:

I was thinking, the outer gods were the ones who helped Dave to map the coordinates for the Green Sun and presumably chose Rose to be the navigator. Did they know that it wasn't going to be there and that they would, in fact, create it? Or did time poo poo preclude them knowing that Dave and Rose would arrive at its time of creation and explode it into existence?

It seems like all the speculation that English is killing the horrorterrors doesn't jive with the fact that they were instrumental with bringing him into being, and of all the players in this they seem to be the ones least likely to be slaved to paradoxical inevitability so their motives for why they'd help to create the Green Sun if LE is killing them seems pretty inscrutable. Which I guess goes with the unknowable cosmic gods motif but isn't very satisfying.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 3, 2011

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Paul.Power posted:

Trollian and Pesterchum were the brainchild of Cave Johnson. It all makes sense.
I have no recollection of ever having met a "Cave Johnson".
But, let us suppose for a moment that I have.
And let us also suppose, for the sake of this argument, that I had a bone to pick with this man...
\

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
I just had a thought about the new reset session that everyone is heading towards. The kid-guardians have their own personalities and will probably have titles that are different from the kids. They might not even be of light, breath, space, and time and might even match the remaining living trolls. (Who would be of rage??)

Either way I'm interested in seeing those characters and what they'll all do.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Clearly Mom would be the Thief of Heart. Va va voom!

Bro is Mage of Rage.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Mr. Pumroy posted:

It's been there. I remember because it was the first time I ever saw that painting, and it's not something I could ever forget :swoon:

I was thinking, the outer gods were the ones who helped Dave to map the coordinates for the Green Sun and presumably chose Rose to be the navigator. Did they know that it wasn't going to be there and that they would, in fact, create it? Or did time poo poo preclude them knowing that Dave and Rose would arrive at its time of creation and explode it into existence?

It seems like all the speculation that English is killing the horrorterrors doesn't jive with the fact that they were instrumental with bringing him into being, and of all the players in this they seem to be the ones least likely to be slaved to paradoxical inevitability so their motives for why they'd help to create the Green Sun if LE is killing them seems pretty inscrutable. Which I guess goes with the unknowable cosmic gods motif but isn't very satisfying.
I've been thinking about this, and the conclusions I came up with is that either the unknowable cosmic gods are kinda dumb or that they are taking an extremely long view, seeing what's happening so far as inevitable. If the theory behind the Greenfyyyre Godtiers being English's puppets prove false, then the Horrorterrors might value the abilities of their new possible allies (Seer of Light/Knight of Time) as a way to free them from their predicament.

It's possible that they're still evil, though unaligned.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I always had a hunch Skipper Plumbthroat/The Squiddles might have some sort of weird connection to LE/The Horrorterrors.

After all, if the Horrorterrors are as friendly as Rose wants us to believe...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Are you saying that unspeakable elder gods can't be played for s u c k e r s as well?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
OK so guys

imagine doc scratch becoming lord english

except instead of his veiny spaghetti-legs reaching their length and becoming muscley

they just keep spulching out

into a pile on the floor

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Well, know I want to know that this would be.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

I'm guessing Zillyhoo.

On a different note, you can all pack it in, because I figured out how Jaspers died.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Going through the archives, it's kinda sad reading Karkat's first interactions with the kids (earliest chronologically for the kids, that is), because he's loving broken compared to how he is most of the time due to how much he has gone through, and he's just trying to get them to listen but it's the first or second time they've ever talked to him and they just tell him to gently caress off.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm guessing Zillyhoo.

On a different note, you can all pack it in, because I figured out how Jaspers died.

No, Zillyhoo costs a zillion of whatever that grist is.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

creationist believer posted:

Man, if everyone wept over the magnificence of Zillyhoo I wonder would happen if the beheld the unrivalled majesty of the Popup Hammer of Vrillyhoo!

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Actually, the Warhammer of Zillyhoo costs exactly one unit of "Zillion" Grist :P

Note how the only one or two times we've seen that icon in a Grist Pile are with these catastrophically huge stockpiles, and they're always singular.

Alectai fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 3, 2011

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

DocFrance posted:

Are you saying that unspeakable elder gods can't be played for s u c k e r s as well?

They can be but I'd hope that that whatever the hell lie that could fool a bunch of cosmic terror gods gets elaborated on at some point because that seems like it'd be a big thing.

Either that or they were intending all along to create the green sun and subsequently Lord English, which is much simpler.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Slime posted:

Man, if everyone wept over the magnificence of Zillyhoo I wonder would happen if the beheld the unrivalled majesty of the Popup Hammer of Vrillyhoo!

Pop-o-Matic Vrillyhoo Hammer :colbert:

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Does anyone happen to have the plugin that renders the trolls typing in a more normal manner laying around? I'm going back through the archives and am about to hit hivebent, and I really don't want to have to decipher the chatlogs.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Not even sure if I should post this but a friend who keeps up with Homestuck stuff on 4chan told me there's apparently some big plan over there to buy Hussie and his girlfriend a box of dildos and have them mailed to his house.

I mean, you know, 4chan, so maybe it's just a running joke, but he seemed to think they were reasonably serious about it. Supposedly they'd aimed for and raised 270$ on paypal for it? It might be worth giving him a heads-up. Hopefully it's just another stupid 4chan joke that doesn't get off the ground, or it's someone with a paypal account scamming people who think they're honestly going to buy a bunch of dildos for Hussie.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Hussie will find some way to pay for Olive Garden in exchange for dildoes.

Edit: To be serious though, I don't see any point in that even from a lovely "for the lulz" perspective. Dude wrote Humanimals, he's not gonna be all weirded or creeped out. I imagine he'll just think that's dumb and throw them out. Congrats to 4chan on wasting $270?

creationist believer fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 4, 2011

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Hussie will find some way to pay for Olive Garden in exchange for dildoes.

He will then proceed to never go to the Olive Garden.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
So what do you guys think would happen if John rolled all 8s when he hit something with his Pop-O-Matic Vrillyhoo hammer?

Would we get a human Ancestral Awakening, akin to Vriska's perfect roll? Massive insta-death damage? Vriska resurrection? Monster Howie Mandell peeing into a foe's juice container?

Side note: I love how over the course of the comic we've gone from chess, to cards, to pool. If there is somehow another game motif that arises and dominates the comic I hope it's that dumb horse-racing-with-pegs thing.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
The proper goal for a donation drive would be to buy him a horse.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Hmm. Y'know, for a moment let's look at this page, and the page after. It's the same clock that goes nuts in the Lord English reveal, but instead of the Breath symbol it's got English's poolball. Also, the clock flashes all kinds of colours in John's God Tier resurrection, just like with English.

Maybe ALL God Tiers are in some way related to English.

Edit: Lord English is a god tier player and his title is the Pimp of Pool.

Slime fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 4, 2011

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dolash posted:

Not even sure if I should post this but a friend who keeps up with Homestuck stuff on 4chan told me there's apparently some big plan over there to buy Hussie and his girlfriend a box of dildos and have them mailed to his house.

I mean, you know, 4chan, so maybe it's just a running joke, but he seemed to think they were reasonably serious about it. Supposedly they'd aimed for and raised 270$ on paypal for it? It might be worth giving him a heads-up. Hopefully it's just another stupid 4chan joke that doesn't get off the ground, or it's someone with a paypal account scamming people who think they're honestly going to buy a bunch of dildos for Hussie.

Hussie's lady already knows about this which means I would assume Hussie does as well. In fact,

HUSS WOMAN posted:

if i ever receive a strange dildo under unusual circumstances i will put it on a little plaque with some thanks

nbd I guess

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Slime posted:

Hmm. Y'know, for a moment let's look at this page, and the page after. It's the same clock that goes nuts in the Lord English reveal, but instead of the Breath symbol it's got English's poolball. Also, the clock flashes all kinds of colours in John's God Tier resurrection, just like with English.

gently caress why'd you have to remind me of that page. :smith:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dolash posted:

It's a box full of silicon at the end of the day, even my grandma wouldn't give a poo poo. Mild bewilderment is probably the strongest reaction they can expect.

Desumaytah posted:

Side note: I love how over the course of the comic we've gone from chess, to cards, to pool. If there is somehow another game motif that arises and dominates the comic I hope it's that dumb horse-racing-with-pegs thing.

Any dumb board game would suit me fine, though that was more Problem Sleuth's style. But if anyone can find a way to shoehorn meaningful symbolism into a rousing game of Trouble or Hungry Hungry Hippos, it's AH.

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial

Slime posted:

Edit: Lord English is a god tier player and his title is the Pimp of Pool.

Well, when you think about it, Scratch died and was reborn/transformed/whatever into a more powerful being. This is essentially the god tier mechanic minus the quest bed aspect.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

El Wombato posted:

Well, when you think about it, Scratch died and was reborn/transformed/whatever into a more powerful being. This is essentially the god tier mechanic minus the quest bed aspect.
Also he in all likelihood entirely lost his identity, which is not typically an aspect of the God Tier function

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

El Wombato posted:

Yeah I don't think Scratch really 'transformed' into Lord English, more like LE used his body as an entry point/basis or whatever.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

El Wombato posted:

Well, Lord English does mark universes for consumption by introducing a glitch. What are the chances that he can glitch the God Tier mechanism into God Tiering him? When the derse God Tier players hit God Tier, it was their dreamself that died and transformed.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Arrhythmia posted:

Please elaborate sir.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He got crushed by a copy of Colonel Sassacre's Daunting Text of Magical Frivolity and Practical Japery.

Cracky
Feb 11, 2007

are you one of those guys who likes big fatties and the big fatties have got big fatty dildos in their nose and they barf and they barf and its so gross.
Can anyone remind me how Gamzee got the hammer?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
If you crush your grandmother to death with one joke book this year, crush her with Colonel Sassacre's Daunting Text of Magical Frivolity and Practical Japery.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cracky posted:

Gamzee has a whole bunch of powerful weapons in his Jokerkind specibus, and I don't think it's ever been explained how he got them.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Cracky posted:

mIrAcLeS, BrOtHeR.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Cracky posted:

shenanigans

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Cracky posted:

Well he just... Just sort of reached over.... And....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Fuckin' miracles, man.

Fuckin' miracles.