Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Crappy Jack posted:

As I recall, there is not a single female police officer in GTA4 for precisely this reason.

Kinda of a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation, but being called out on some internet forums for not accurately representing the population will always be a lot less hassle than the press getting wind that your game is a female cop murder simulator. Even today every time I hear GTA referenced in mainstream media it's normally referred to as a game where you kill prostitutes. Can you think of any mission in any game where that happens? I've had a lot of in-game sex with prostitutes and gotten a lot of lap dances in the GTA series, but I don't recall ever purposefully murdering one aside from one time she left the car after we finished and I accidentally clipped her with the bumper as I drove off.

Edit: vv me too but I can't help but think it's slightly sexist. I mean it kind of makes sense that you wouldn't kill women when taking down mafia crime lords because (and I have no idea the actual statistics here) I assume there aren't a lot of high ranking women in organized crime? But if you had a shootout with the nearest 30 police roaming the city in squad cars, certainly a couple would be female, right? In terms of random people on the street that you shouldn't have to shoot but may want the option of, why aren't there any blind pedestrians or people in wheelchairs?

davebo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Basically the game gives you the freedom to kill women if that sort of equality is really super important to you but considering you're often forced to get into shoot-outs with cops in order to proceed, it doesn't want to force you to kill women. That's more than fine with me.

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice

Install Gentoo posted:

You know what would be cool? We have 8 playable characters, and they're the characters from GTA 1 that were really nothing more than a mugshot and a name. And like in GTA 1, they effectively act as merely different save files, with only minor relevance to the plot from their appearance and gender. Or maybe they relaly would have different mission paths or starting palces/abilities, whatever.

Bubba • Divine • Katie • Kivlov • Mikki • Travis • Troy • Ulrika

The sprites were slightly different as well.

I have to say that I kind of expected some of the things in the trailer, like airplanes and jet skis. Just seemed like a natural evolution in the series, somehow though I was still blown away. I can't believe that there are going to finally be dogs in this game! I mean I guess there were dogs in Red Dead Redemption but even then, I can just imagine there being a huge amount of flack from the media. Maybe it was from a cinematic or cut-scene? Still makes me really excited though.

Also seeing that jet fighter is loving amazing, I just imagine parachutes will be in this game as well, and it obviously just wasn't me who got either the Donald Love or Tommy Vercetti vibe from the one character in the trailer. He feels so much like a character we know or should know.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

There where chutes in Gay Tony so yeah; there will be chutes.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Since when does the media care about video games? I thought between the Supreme Court case and social media, they had moved on to a new thing to freak out about.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Since when does the media care about video games? I thought between the Supreme Court case and social media, they had moved on to a new thing to freak out about.

Lately the media reports on them because they make lots and lots of money.

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice
I hope they bring back the actual tank too, not just the armored APC from Gay Tony (although that was very cool). I just want to jack one of an actual military base. I was glad to see they brought back the tank for Chinatown Wars.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

davebo posted:

Kinda of a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation, but being called out on some internet forums for not accurately representing the population will always be a lot less hassle than the press getting wind that your game is a female cop murder simulator. Even today every time I hear GTA referenced in mainstream media it's normally referred to as a game where you kill prostitutes. Can you think of any mission in any game where that happens? I've had a lot of in-game sex with prostitutes and gotten a lot of lap dances in the GTA series, but I don't recall ever purposefully murdering one aside from one time she left the car after we finished and I accidentally clipped her with the bumper as I drove off.

Edit: vv me too but I can't help but think it's slightly sexist. I mean it kind of makes sense that you wouldn't kill women when taking down mafia crime lords because (and I have no idea the actual statistics here) I assume there aren't a lot of high ranking women in organized crime? But if you had a shootout with the nearest 30 police roaming the city in squad cars, certainly a couple would be female, right? In terms of random people on the street that you shouldn't have to shoot but may want the option of, why aren't there any blind pedestrians or people in wheelchairs?

It's always funny to me that people are like "When I'm shooting hundreds of innocent police officers, I don't want to have to shoot any women, because that would make me feel like a bad person." I mean, if you feel bad about something you do during a mass murder spree in a video game, doesn't that just mean that you're a good person with a healthy moral compass? Why would you take something like that out of the game? You SHOULD feel a little bad for a second, and then go "Ah, gently caress it" and start throwing satchel charges into traffic.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 3, 2011

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah I get the feeling that GTA has ingrained itself a lot like South Park has. They've won the fight over and over, society hasn't degenerated into cannabilism and hooker murders and they are old news controversy-wise. They were basically daring the same people to come at them again with an expansion called "Ballad of Gay Tony" and there was nothing.

Jack Thompson did them a big favor by claiming the outrage mantle while also being a crazy person.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 3, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I demand Drug Trafficking minigame from GTA Chinatown. DEMAND.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I don't think I've ever used a hooker since GTA3, and that was just to check it out after the press blew up about it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Himuro posted:

Yes. YESSSS.

That system with some spruce-ups in the "random encounters" you run into while out and about doing your thing would be tits.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
For those who didn't play Chinatown Wars, this is the drug dealing side mission:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kve2uXfryFk

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Install Gentoo posted:

You have to wonder why when there's a mission that requires killing someone, it's almost never a woman too. For some reason mandatory-kill enemies in the GTA games are like 99% male.

Not that killing women is super progressive or anything, but almost never being required to smacks of crappy "women are too delicate blah blah" stuff.

poo poo, you're right. Now that I think about it, I only ever recall one female that's shot in all of GTA IV and its expansions and it's by another character in a cut-scene. You go to do a coke deal for Elizabeta as Johnny in TLAD and it ends up going bad. Some ghetto bitch shoots Malc's bike and he wastes her right before you hop on the back of DeSean's bike for that epic police chase sequence.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair though the criminal underworld probably is like 99% male. Women don't deal drugs or run gangs or even are part of gangs other than just kinda hang around like that crackhead lady from Lost and Damned.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I was playing through IV recently, and one of Dwayne's missions gives you the option to kill a woman. So it's happened at least once.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Himuro posted:

God yes.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Coffee And Pie posted:

I was playing through IV recently, and one of Dwayne's missions gives you the option to kill a woman. So it's happened at least once.

Ah, right. That's the one where you can chase down the dude she's with or blow her away, but it's still optional and not forced on you. I always hopped on a bike and wasted the guy she was with.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Coffee And Pie posted:

That's so Dwayne

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

To be fair though the criminal underworld probably is like 99% male. Women don't deal drugs or run gangs or even are part of gangs other than just kinda hang around like that crackhead lady from Lost and Damned.

Women are still cops, though. And it's not like you deal exclusively with the criminal underworld in GTA; you work with politicians, the federal government, all sorts of stuff. You go to Area 51 and steal a jetpack, it's not like GTA is exclusively about being embroiled in gang life. Wouldn't it be cool to see a GTA about a woman trying to make it as a badass and run her own gang? Wouldn't that be something interesting to work with, since Rockstar loves interesting stories?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
There were plenty of scurrilous dames in LA Noire.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Could easily do something like female main character borrows money from loan shark, business goes to poo poo and she can't pay it back. Starts working for the loan shark or another bigger gangster to get the money and then at some point halfway through realises "wait why am I working for this guy? I'm smarter than him and I've got contacts now, gently caress it I'm gonna kill him and take over". That could be the big half way through mission like killing Diaz in VC and then you start going up in the world.

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice
You had to kill a lady bitch in GTA III. She was goddamn crazy.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

You know what would be cool? We have 8 playable characters, and they're the characters from GTA 1 that were really nothing more than a mugshot and a name. And like in GTA 1, they effectively act as merely different save files, with only minor relevance to the plot from their appearance and gender. Or maybe they relaly would have different mission paths or starting palces/abilities, whatever.

Bubba • Divine • Katie • Kivlov • Mikki • Travis • Troy • Ulrika

Yeah but imagine how much voice acting they'd have to do for this: not just a separate set of it for each of those characters, but probably also more for anyone else they interact with. It'd be a whole lot of effort and money to give the player that kind of choice in a modern GTA game.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
When it comes to marketing, Rockstar must be top of the pile. It amazes me how they've got a bunch of gaming websites analysing every frame of that trailer.

I can't think of another game series that has inspired such close inspection of its teaser trailers'.

Still I'm looking forward to V, and I had the most fun with San Andreas so if this is a bigger, better version of it I'll be happy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

You didnt even wait to get the mothafucka in the house!
                                                 /

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 4, 2011

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

FCKGW posted:

If you do get to play as a girl, I hope she's exactly like Snoop (and you can equip a Hildi for some .27 caliber, full-auto, nail throwin mayhem).

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

NOBEARD posted:

You had to kill a lady bitch in GTA III. She was goddamn crazy.

My favorite GTA final mission.

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
I'm really looking forward to V but I don't exactly know if I want to play as multiple characters. Regardless, it'll be a great game I'm sure.

I really can't wait to be back in Los Santos. Last night I tried playing SA again and wow all I can say is that I remember it being a lot better than it is, IV was such a huge overhaul of everything that all it really shares with the past games is the name. I used to be really sentimental about 3, VC and SA and I kind of rejected IV. Rockstar is amazing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Himuro posted:

This. AND the way to lose wanted stars, by wrecking the cop cars chasing you.

gently caress that radius distance way in IV. Oh look a cop car just spawned in front of me, have to drive another 10 miles.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
e: ^^^You kidding me? The wanted system in Chinatown was so broken, considering the cops would often crash anyways, just like every GTA game. 4's radius was actually a pretty good system.

Well there was an all female counterfeiting syndicate you fight in Vice City. More of an "exception that proves the rule" type of thing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

happyhippy posted:

This. AND the way to lose wanted stars, by wrecking the cop cars chasing you.

gently caress that radius distance way in IV. Oh look a cop car just spawned in front of me, have to drive another 10 miles.

A combination system would be best. Sometimes driving out of the circle is easy, sometimes the only way that would work is the smash'n'bash system.

Though the best way to escape the cops in IV is to get onto the subway tracks. When your wanted level is high enough, the trains seem to stop running at all so it's safe.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

FCKGW posted:

You didnt even wait to get the mothafucka in the house!
                                                 /

My dream GTA has always been starting out in the Baltimore Pits and rising up through the ranks to eventually take over the corruption underworld in D.C. You can throw a third rust belt city it in there if you're into the SA trifecta like I am. Maybe Pittburgh or Detriot. I can dream, can't I? :allears:

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

When I first started playing IV, the wanted system bugged me in how you couldnt evade the police if you were inside the circle but there were no cops around. I quickly got used to it but I still think it wouldve been better if I could run through a couple alleys to lose them and just nonchalantly walk away if there were no cops or witnesses on the other side. Or at least not get noticed immediately by a passing cop car when the radio never has calls like "adult male wearing x" where x is whatever type of clothes I'm wearing.

Edit: On the subject of Chinatown Wars, I really want another GTA like that. I'm surprised they didn't release another in the time they've spent porting the game to other platforms. I wonder if they will do one for the San Andreas area.

0 rows returned fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 4, 2011

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Militree posted:

My dream GTA has always been starting out in the Baltimore Pits and rising up through the ranks to eventually take over the corruption underworld in D.C. You can throw a third rust belt city it in there if you're into the SA trifecta like I am. Maybe Pittburgh or Detriot. I can dream, can't I? :allears:

Baltimore analogue only if they get John Waters involved.

MaliceMolaka
Jan 23, 2005

Welcome to Sensimilla Street.
I may have to chew crow after so adamantly defending the return of all three cities following the statement from rockstar. Perhaps we'll see them concentrate on what is south of los santos like a border town.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

davebo posted:

You're assuming the scale of the story and missions haven't increased along with the map size. For all we know we could be playing multiple characters that total as much story as gta4 + the two expansions. Would you object to getting what amounts to two DLC for free?

I wouldn't object to that at all. But in the case of having multiple characters you always run the risk of short-changing any one of those characters. Or you can end up with a jarring switch from one character to the other(i.e. Raiden in MGS2 or Kelso in L.A. Noire). It's not so much that it can't be done but it's tricky to pull it off.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Coolodile posted:

Well there was an all female counterfeiting syndicate you fight in Vice City. More of an "exception that proves the rule" type of thing.
There are a few other instances too. You kill that hooker that tried to defect from Jizzy, some of the farmers you steal the combine from are female (and its pretty hard to avoid running them over,) the police missions sometimes have female enemies, there are a few other instances too, though I can't quite remember them.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Cliff Racer posted:

There are a few other instances too. You kill that hooker that tried to defect from Jizzy, some of the farmers you steal the combine from are female (and its pretty hard to avoid running them over,) the police missions sometimes have female enemies, there are a few other instances too, though I can't quite remember them.

One of the assassination missions in Vice City was killing some rich guy's wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
The universal truth of video games is that women are just objects.

• Locked thread