Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.
Holy poo poo guys look what I found from behind my bookshelf!

Now all I need to do is to look for my old box of lego pieces and I'm back to being 7 again. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Morgenthau posted:

Now all I need to do is to look for my old box of lego pieces and I'm back to being 7 again. :D

I forgot how entrancing that glow is. :allears:

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009

boner meter posted:

blacklight poster mushrooms and wizards Fantasy sets.

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. That'd be CRAZY. if they split off the "fantasy era" into its own set and they released "castle" and "fantasy" in parallel. doubt it'd ever happen, but, that'd still be awesome.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Another buyer abusing the fact that ebay and paypal's policies are completely slanted in favor of the buyer, super duper.

A brown envelope with "do not crush" does not constitute good packing for a relatively delicate item you can surmise the buyer would wish to receive in mint condition. Packing something improperly then saying "sucks to be you, shoulda taken out insurance!" when it gets damaged is also bad service.

Any decent shop would pack a boxed item like this in a larger box, with packing peanuts or shredded paper around it. Not stick it in an envelope and congratulate themselves on a job well done.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Morgenthau posted:

I loved the hell out of this set, nevermind the fact that "space helicopter" is inherently dumb.

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN

Fatkraken posted:

A brown envelope with "do not crush" does not constitute good packing for a relatively delicate item you can surmise the buyer would wish to receive in mint condition. Packing something improperly then saying "sucks to be you, shoulda taken out insurance!" when it gets damaged is also bad service.

Any decent shop would pack a boxed item like this in a larger box, with packing peanuts or shredded paper around it. Not stick it in an envelope and congratulate themselves on a job well done.

This is true, but the buyer admits that the pieces themselves were probably not damaged. However, he's failing to check because apparently this stupid Christmas item is more valuable still boxed. (I got the item too, it's a nice 100 piece build but not really something to hoard thinking it's gonna magically triple in value).

Seriously, trying to work the system against small time sellers who are just trying to make a few bucks or break even with their lego habit is borderline retarded at least, at the worst it's just dickish behavior. Even if this guy is a big time seller (admittedly doubtful considering his packing job) it's a jerk move.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Fatkraken posted:

To be fair, most boxed items don't require that. Even some cheaper LEGO rip-off brands manage to have a cardboard inner that keeps the box rigid, but for some reason LEGO couldn't afford to keep doing that.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Granite Octopus posted:

You can buy track cleaning blocks used by model railroad enthusiasts. Though knowing those guys it probably costs $200.

Its known as a "bright boy eraser". It looks a like a pencil eraser but is far more abrasive. Its not a good idea to use on the 9v track as its only a thin layer of metal over the plastic. They cost 5-6 bucks at the local hobby shop.

As for the whole crushed box thing, I decided to just drop it. I managed to get the side to pop out with a little fiddling.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Morgenthau posted:

I'm discovering all sorts of sets that I have that I had no idea I owned. And I'm still trying to figure out where I got Unitron minifigs. I'm almost positive I never got Unitron stuff, and I don't think I got this set. It's possible, I guess. Like I remember what I got for Christmas 20 years ago.

On a different note, does anyone have a good way to clean really scummy bricks? I've tried putting them in a pillowcase in a washing machine, I've tried letting them soak for a while in the sink, I've even tried scrubbing them with a stiff brush. So far the only thing that seems to remove the cigarette tar/sweat/oil/dirt is cleaning each individual brick with dish soap and a toothbrush, and I have like... thousands of pieces to clean. I don't really want to spend two days at the sink cleaning individual bricks with a toothbrush. :effort:

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN

Veeb0rg posted:

Its known as a "bright boy eraser". It looks a like a pencil eraser but is far more abrasive. Its not a good idea to use on the 9v track as its only a thin layer of metal over the plastic. They cost 5-6 bucks at the local hobby shop.

As for the whole crushed box thing, I decided to just drop it. I managed to get the side to pop out with a little fiddling.

As an independent seller who occasionally runs across impossible-to-please customers, I thank you for this. Though I do admit for your part that it's unfortunate to get an improperly packaged item hosed up. Fault lies squarely on the shoulders of the USPS, I think - they have a habit of crushing even uncrushable boxes by wedging them impossibly into my mailbox.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I loved the hell out of this set, nevermind the fact that "space helicopter" is inherently dumb.

It's not a space helicopter. Those are sensor antennas or something. Don't be silly.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Lord Gold posted:

As an independent seller who occasionally runs across impossible-to-please customers, I thank you for this. Though I do admit for your part that it's unfortunate to get an improperly packaged item hosed up. Fault lies squarely on the shoulders of the USPS, I think - they have a habit of crushing even uncrushable boxes by wedging them impossibly into my mailbox.

Well, I think its partly USPS and partly the sellers fault. He should have used an actual box to ship, not a plain brown envelope with no padding what so ever. When ever I sell anything, no matter the size, I always try to pack it to survive a war. I don't trust USPS to not kick/drop/maim or mangle anything. I can understand trying to ship for the cheapest price, but when you charge $5.25 for shipping and postage only costs $3.02 I'd at least use a box.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 3, 2011

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Veeb0rg posted:

Well, I think its partly USPS and partly the sellers fault. He should have used an actual box to ship, not a plain brown envelope with no padding what so ever. When ever I sell anything, no matter the size, I always try to pack it to survive a war. I don't trust USPS to not kick/drop/maim or mangle anything. I can understand trying to ship for the cheapest price, but when you charge 5.25 for shipping and postage only costs 3.02 I'd at least use a box.

It's not just USPS. UPS and FedEx both don't give two shits about how something looks when it gets to where it's going, just that it does. You can never pack things too well.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
Shipping a crushable box in an envelope is totally unacceptable. If you buy something new you should expect it to arrive in that condition. The seller should have issued you a full refund plus the cost of shipping. I say this as a 550+ feedback(100% positive) Ebay seller.

I understand that some buyers are hard to please but you have every right to be pissed at that seller.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
This is a pretty cool thing:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=487975

These guys are pretty cool too:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=459105

A nice micro castle:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=487730

Someone wanted tanks earlier, here's some:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=485563

And uh... this... what?

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=487606

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I really like that micro-scale castle. Micro-scale representations are always appealing to me because the sheer amount of detail that people put into them is astounding. That little rowboat, for example. :3:

VaultAggie fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 3, 2011

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
Whoah.

Use for bionicle parts found.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

HexDog fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 21, 2014

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

InfinEight posted:

These guys are pretty cool too:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=459105

This is the best thing, holy gently caress :aaaaa:

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

Roneth posted:

I want to buy random legos by the poundage and the only place I've found so far would be some entries on Ebay. Are there any other places I could go?

If you're patient you'll get good success with Kijiji or Used_____ in Canada. I takes time but usually a good deal comes along if you're paying attention at least once a month.

Setting up alerts help

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I'm a whore for collecting and I think I'm hooked on the collectable Minifigs. My best bet is probably buying a box and trading/selling dupes, then filling holes from Bricklink? Also are any rarer than others? I looked at BL and it seemed some were a bit over or under the $3, but not by that much.

EDIT: Yeah, I think I'm just going to keep buying packs here and there, and occasionally get a specific one off BL. There's no way I'm buying a box of them, especially since I wouldn't trust the seller not to have checked dot codes or however they're marked.

Fooley fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 3, 2011

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Fooley posted:

I'm a whore for collecting and I think I'm hooked on the collectable Minifigs. My best bet is probably buying a box and trading/selling dupes, then filling holes from Bricklink? Also are any rarer than others? I looked at BL and it seemed some were a bit over or under the $3, but not by that much.
There is a slight variation - either 3, 4 or 5 of each to a box. The most collectible model in each box (notably the Spartan, but as another army builder the Evil Dwarf was also pretty popular) tends to be one of the rare ones so those do end up going for significantly more, but you're right that most of them stay around RRP.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

VaultAggie posted:

I really like that micro-scale castle. Micro-scale representations are always appealing to me because the sheer amount of detail that people put into them is astounding. that little rowboat, for example. :3:

I always like how they find creative ways to use pieces that you'd normally never think of. That little row boat being just a minifig hat upside-down is amazingly clever to me.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

InfinEight posted:

I always like how they find creative ways to use pieces that you'd normally never think of. That little row boat being just a minifig hat upside-down is amazingly clever to me.

I don't know if it qualifies since it's kind of "to scale", but I love how they made Gary in the Spongebob sets:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Fooley posted:

I'm a whore for collecting and I think I'm hooked on the collectable Minifigs. My best bet is probably buying a box and trading/selling dupes, then filling holes from Bricklink?

There is another way my friend:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439442

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
As a disgruntled Office Depot employee, I can tell you that these things are absolute poo poo. I wouldn't trust them to hold feathers, much less lego instructions. They break if you look at them wrong.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
I use a 3 ring binder with mylar sleeves.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

As a disgruntled Office Depot employee, I can tell you that these things are absolute poo poo. I wouldn't trust them to hold feathers, much less lego instructions. They break if you look at them wrong.

Echoing this.

Get the milk crates they sell at Target or something if you're going to go that route.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

I got my box of 9v track today. Only had time for a quick look and I can totally understand why the guy claims it's "broken" and the trains wouldn't run on it. Its so dirty its not even funny, I'll try to get a few pictures of it tomorrow. I'm going to have a fun weekend cleaning the stuff.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
What was the year Lego hit rock bottom? Not financially but in set design. I've been looking through old instruction scans, reminiscing about how much fun I had with the neat sets of the late '80s and early '90s, but after about 1993 it's like the designers slowly lost any sense of what they were doing. The set design goes downhill and doesn't recover until the early 2000s.

I think 1997 is a strong contender for worst year. Castle had the horrible Night Lords sets, Space had whatever these things were, and of course 1997 was also the year of the villainous time travel theme, which looks even sillier than the time traveling good guys' theme. Out of all of those, only the time travel sets look even remotely fun to play with as a kid; none of them look like the sort of thing anyone would want to buy again now as an adult.

On the other hand, 1997 also had kick-rear end stuff -- the Indian theme, the realistic divers theme, a couple of neat Spanish Armada sets (though the bulk of that theme was from 1996, it seems).

All in all those years between, say, '95 and '04 were weird times for Lego. They had a few great ideas but they were throwing money into sets that I don't think any kid would want to buy. But maybe I just think that because I "grew out" of Lego around '94 or '95.

Time Cowboy fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 4, 2011

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Time Cowboy posted:

these

This set rules, are you crazy or something?

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

rickiep00h posted:

I'm discovering all sorts of sets that I have that I had no idea I owned. And I'm still trying to figure out where I got Unitron minifigs. I'm almost positive I never got Unitron stuff, and I don't think I got this set. It's possible, I guess. Like I remember what I got for Christmas 20 years ago.

On a different note, does anyone have a good way to clean really scummy bricks? I've tried putting them in a pillowcase in a washing machine, I've tried letting them soak for a while in the sink, I've even tried scrubbing them with a stiff brush. So far the only thing that seems to remove the cigarette tar/sweat/oil/dirt is cleaning each individual brick with dish soap and a toothbrush, and I have like... thousands of pieces to clean. I don't really want to spend two days at the sink cleaning individual bricks with a toothbrush. :effort:

Oh gently caress man, you have no idea how envious I am at that post.

Growing up in a lovely third world country, that space helicopter and a box of hand-me-down bricks was all the Lego I had. Man, you American kids and your Christmases are sooo lucky. :(

I had them stashed away like gold and if I didn't find that instruction manual, I'd probably never had the presence of mind to rebuild that. When I finally rebuild it, that is so going to be my new family heirloom.
My descendants down the line will wonder with awe and wonder on an epic era gone by... Space Lego.

'cause gently caress Star Wars. :colbert:

For cleaning right now I am dumping the whole bunch in a large colander with dishwashing detergent and spraying the fuckers with a hose. Kind of works ok though.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Sockser posted:

This set rules, are you crazy or something?

It ain't no M:Tron, sonny. :colbert:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Morgenthau posted:

Oh gently caress man, you have no idea how envious I am at that post.

Growing up in a lovely third world country, that space helicopter and a box of hand-me-down bricks was all the Lego I had. Man, you American kids and your Christmases are sooo lucky. :(

I had them stashed away like gold and if I didn't find that instruction manual, I'd probably never had the presence of mind to rebuild that. When I finally rebuild it, that is so going to be my new family heirloom.
My descendants down the line will wonder with awe and wonder on an epic era gone by... Space Lego.

'cause gently caress Star Wars. :colbert:

For cleaning right now I am dumping the whole bunch in a large colander with dishwashing detergent and spraying the fuckers with a hose. Kind of works ok though.

LEGO was literally the most expensive thing I got for Christmas (and my birthday, which got rolled into one because they're the same week), and it was never more than $40 per set. My grandparents are/were hyper-conservative Lutherans who lived through the Depression. We got dollar-store toothbrushes for in our stockings*, and I assure you that I loved my LEGO poo poo. While it was no third-world childhood, I was a lot lower on the LEGO totem pole than some of my friends.

*I'm actually using one for the purpose of brick cleaning now. I'm 29 and I still get loving toothbrushes for Christmas. I don't want to sound like an entitled dick, but c'mon. Just don't give me anything and donate it to someone that can't afford a new one every few months.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

^^^That is awesome.

Time Cowboy posted:

I think 1997 is a strong contender for worst year. Castle had the horrible Night Lords sets, Space had whatever these things were, and of course 1997 was also the year of the villainous time travel theme, which looks even sillier than the time traveling good guys' theme. Out of all of those, only the time travel sets look even remotely fun to play with as a kid; none of them look like the sort of thing anyone would want to buy again now as an adult.

On the other hand, 1997 also had kick-rear end stuff -- the Indian theme, the realistic divers theme, a couple of neat Spanish Armada sets (though the bulk of that theme was from 1996, it seems).
I agree on the castle sets. I remember my sisters and I talking about how the new (1997~ish) castle sets weren't as solid or as cool as the old ones. The archways and uneven construction makes them look like zero effort was put into designing them. I can see what you mean with the robo-raiders, but on the other hand: neon-trans helmets and every set is a giant robot. I wanted those pretty badly as a kid, although not as much as the UFO sets. The UFO helmets were the coolest.

So I took a try at making something for Halloween, and, uh, I may have cheated a bit...

I've got a commercial fishing boat MOC mostly finished, but it's been sitting on my desk for months because I can't figure out how to design and build a decent version of the rigging and poles/arms. I've taken pictures and sketched them, but I haven't gotten up close and I can't seem to find any blue-prints or demonstrations of the stuff at work.

Any ideas?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I got my largest sets from my aunt, for Christmas. The first space shuttle, the Ice Planet base, the Sonar Transmitting Cruiser...anything I got from my parents was much smaller. I always thought I had a lot of Lego as a kid, but Peeron's dispelled that--a couple thousand pieces at most. I'll come home from one BOGO50 trip to TRU with more bricks in a shopping bag than I ever owned until a few years ago.

As for cleaning bricks, check out the instructions on Retr0Bright. That dinginess may not necessarily be just dirt and cigarette smoke.

That Witch's Magic Manor is probably the worst-looking set I've ever seen, and that's comparing it with Time Twisters. It's uninspired, has weird usage of yellow, no coherent coloration or design scheme...the Witch-copter is kind of a cool concept, but they completely flub the design.
The Night Lord's Castle is much better.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
The most expensive set I ever got as a kid was the medium sized spaceship in the original space line. The rich kid down the road got the big one, but he let me build it because he didn't like building stuff, only playing with it, so that was pretty sweet.

Goddamn I have fun memories of that stuff. The fact that they had opening cargo compartments at the back was like the most awesome thing ever. I just bought Buzz Lightyear's spaceship on Amazon because it's half price and has an opening hold as well.

My desk looks like a toyshop at work. I have half a dozen unopenned LEGO boxes stacked under it from various half price sales. I don't want to take them all home at once because I'm still trying to convince my wife to get me Medeival Market Village for Christmas and that spending £70 on a kid's toy isn't throwing money away.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 4, 2011

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009

Time Cowboy posted:

I think 1997 is a strong contender for worst year. Castle had the horrible Night Lords sets, Space had whatever these things were,

Now, this is interesting. I think it shows the effect of perspective. And, perhaps, it shows that Lego has realized the AFOL market more and more.

I was exactly 10 years old when those sets came out, and it makes me realize that roughly 10 years old was the peak of my Lego phase. I had the two robo-sets and the Night Lord's Castle. I still have the Night Lord's Castle sitting, fully built, atop a bookshelf back home. I **loved** all of those sets. I thought those weird space robots were the coolest thing in history, especially the dinosaur with the scorpion tail. I played with those for HOURS. It's amazing to see that the MSRP of the robo raptor was only 20 dollars. It was about the coolest thing in the universe when I built it.

Now, at my current age, of course I want Mill Village Raid and Medieval Market Village, but when I was 10, would I be more excited about a realistic looking chicken leg accessory or a laser-shooting-scorpion-dinosaur-robot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lord Gold posted:

Nah, as someone who has made thousands of sales via Ebay before, I can tell you that literally all it takes for something to survive shipment is proper packing, barring freak accidents that no amount of packaging can prepare for. In over 3000 sales I've never had anyone complain of the boxes I use being destroyed and the contents wrecked, since I use a solid cardboard box(a diaper box works well, if not flat-out using made-for-shipping boxes, you can often find spare empty boxes in many stores) instead of an envelope not meant for large items/ratty collapsing cardboard boxes, a sheet or two of bubblewrap(HUGE rolls at Wal-Mart for $16), and a bit of popcorn to fill empty air to prevent crushing(large bags available in various stores for about $20). Generally if you've ever purchased things on Ebay, you have some bubblewrap/popcorn, unless you're dumb and throw it away, so even without buying supplies you should be able to pack things not retardedly.

If a seller packs something without a lick of common sense, yes, they should be held responsible, regardless of the reason for the purchase of the item, it is the seller's responsibility to make sure their item is safe inside a secure container. Accidents do happen, but shipping something like an unopened toy box in a brown envelope is just foolish.

edit: whoops, queued up this reply and hadn't seen the other responses to it. Have some content!

This dude's stuff is awesome. It's really crude compared to some things like those battlesuits up there, but they're nearly all completely charming, like the Harbor Seal Pup, Elephant, and these.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=AdmiralStupid

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 4, 2011