Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I almost died laughing at this I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4_XNKOuODU&feature=player_embedded

It's a guy teaching you how to "knit".

It was almost painful to watch. Then he started to staple. And "We're not making mistakes, we're making experiences!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

It was almost painful to watch. Then he started to staple. And "We're not making mistakes, we're making experiences!"

"It's ok to pull hard, cuz yarn can't feel pain" is my new personal motto.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
I made a scarf for a charity auction with this pattern. Anyone have advice on how to cast on a bit more loose? Would casting on with a needle size or two larger work? It was knitted lengthwise and the cast on side is a bit tighter than the bind off making it curve a little bit.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Ooh, very pretty! What pattern is that?

I made a hate out of Madelinetosh a while ago and it gets so many compliments from total strangers. Not even fellow yarn store shopper strangers either. That poo poo glows, I swear.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ranger-hat

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I made a scarf for a charity auction with this pattern. Anyone have advice on how to cast on a bit more loose? Would casting on with a needle size or two larger work? It was knitted lengthwise and the cast on side is a bit tighter than the bind off making it curve a little bit.

You can cast on with larger needles, or two needles held together.

Robot Gopher
Sep 12, 2007

Gently Used Coat posted:

I'm knitting a shawl with Tosh Merino Light and I haven't noticed any dye on my hands or needles, although when I blocked some gloves that were also made with it there was dye in the water. So maybe it does just depend on the yarn?

I've found that the bleeding always seems to be worst with reds and teal colors. Also, the Madelinetosh bases that aren't 100% wool seem to bleed more.

A few washes using Synthrapol helps a lot. If you have a quilting store nearby, they usually carry it.

Robot Gopher fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 2, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I finished something wearable! This is my first real project (I don't count the Dalek dishcloth since it was really poorly done :P ). I made a little drawstring skirt with a decorative hem for my daughter using a skein of Chroma worsted from Knitpicks (this poo poo was like knitting with clouds. LOVE IT). There are mistakes galore but I am still really proud of it. I will try to get a picture of it on her (and not on my couch) later.

I LOVE KNITTING! I so wish I had learned sooner.

Edit: Action shot, jumping off of her slide!

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 2, 2011

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Fire In The Disco, that skirt is adorable!

Anyone have a favorite dog sweater pattern? I'm making a few for my cousin's chihuahua and need some inspiration.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

teknicolor posted:

Fire In The Disco, that skirt is adorable!

Anyone have a favorite dog sweater pattern? I'm making a few for my cousin's chihuahua and need some inspiration.

I'm making one right now: http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/us/pattern.php?id=3488&lang=us

But I'm only using this for the chart and dropping in my own numbers for stitch count etc.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I just want to say that the alpaca is truly the coziest of animals.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Fire In The Disco posted:

I finished something wearable! This is my first real project (I don't count the Dalek dishcloth since it was really poorly done :P ). I made a little drawstring skirt with a decorative hem for my daughter using a skein of Chroma worsted from Knitpicks (this poo poo was like knitting with clouds. LOVE IT). There are mistakes galore but I am still really proud of it. I will try to get a picture of it on her (and not on my couch) later.

I LOVE KNITTING! I so wish I had learned sooner.

Edit: Action shot, jumping off of her slide!

that skirt is the cutest little thing! :3:

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

neongrey posted:

I just want to say that the alpaca is truly the coziest of animals.

I want to have an alpaca farm someday.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I just started some thrummed mittens and there's going to be nothing but alpaca in them and eeeee I even know the name of the alpaca who made the roving. :neckbeard:

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
There is an alpaca farm about 10 miles from me where the lady processes all her own fiber and spins it. I get to go meet the alpaca that made my yarn :) She names the undyed colorways after them. My favorites are Cuervo Gold because she's beautiful and makes loves caramel gold yarn and Shadow, he's a lovely dark grey but really I secretly love his colorway best because he is the sweetest, most snuggly animal :3

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Goddammit, I want to visit an alpaca farm and pet an alpaca and quit my job and just live there. My stupid job has literally zero alpacas, it's ridiculous.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Goddammit, I want to visit an alpaca farm and pet an alpaca and quit my job and just live there. My stupid job has literally zero alpacas, it's ridiculous.

My job doesn't have any either. :ohdear:

Perhaps there should be an alpaca-share program for dumb jobs that are dumb in addition to being alpaca-free.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

We have a teeny fake alpaca. It's literally a doll-alpaca covered in alpaca fluff.

(It's only there because I brought it to put at my desk.)

I am pro-live alpaca share program. :3:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I could get behind this.

I'm concerned that bringing an alpaca anywhere near my horrible boss would constitute animal abuse though. (Every time we hire a new employee I feel so bad for that person)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Holy poo poo, alpaca IS soft. Bought some at my local independent yarn store today. I'm in love. Now I want an alpaca too!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My job is also alpaca-free, which is total bullshit.

For a couple years I've been talking about an alpaca farm when I retire (in like 30 years). I'm just not sure it's going to work because apparently real alpacas do things like poop, roll in dirt, eat stupid stuff, require injections and drenches, and generally act like real animals instead of adorable fiber-providing 5' stuffed animals. We'll see if I'm up to it.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Another sucky alpaca-free job here, although I do have half a pound of white alpaca locks waiting to be carded and a bag of Suri that is far itchier than I thought it would be :(

We should start a Goon Alpaca Collective!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Yes please! I would literally rather muck out alpaca stalls by hand than go to my actual job tomorrow.

It's uh, been a really tough month. I keep waking up at three am just because I got really pissed at my boss in my sleep somehow.

Anyway, uh. Sometimes when I'm really upset at work I go out to the car and knit for five minutes! I think it helps. Look how on topic I am!

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
If any of you ladies are near central Georgia, my parents do indeed own an alpaca farm. My mom is currently drowning in fleeces that she cards herself and spins a bit. I'm not sure what she's doing with all the fiber right now, but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't mind introducing y'all to the girls and boys and I know she'd love to sell you some of the fleece. ;)

PM me if you're local and interested, and I'll see what I can set up. I'm in Maryland myself, so I wouldn't be there, but if you want to look up the farm, we're called Deepstep Creek Alpacas.

DeeZee
Jun 9, 2004
Super bumble bee
Also feeling the alpaca love. About half my stash (I don't count the massive drawer of acrylic that is only used to make toys as stash) is some mix of alpaca yarn. I cant help myself it is the best.

Someone invent miniature house alpacas that I could have as a pet.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Can anyone recommend a pattern for a close fitting hat with earflaps? Most of the ear flap hats I see are pretty bulky, but I need something to fit under my helmet so I can survive the winter on my bike.

I'm super nervous about making a hat, since the last one I made was way too big and too long, plus it took me like a month.

I also want to make a scarf, but both of the scarves I've made so far have been really bulky. I'm not really sure how to make something sleeker- do I just buy finer yarn? Bigger needles? Smaller needles?

(sorry, I'm still really new at this and poorly-self-taught)

dopaMEAN fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 4, 2011

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I think if I could find some blend of alpaca and angora I would be in super yarn heaven since those are my two favouritest fibers in the world. Sorry awesome sheep, you are awesome but you are not my favourites.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

dopaMEAN posted:

Can anyone recommend a pattern for a close fitting hat with earflaps? Most of the ear flap hats I see are pretty bulky, but I need something to fit under my helmet so I can survive the winter on my bike.

I'm super nervous about making a hat, since the last one I made was way too big and too long, plus it took me like a month.

I also want to make a scarf, but both of the scarves I've made so far have been really bulky. I'm not really sure how to make something sleeker- do I just buy finer yarn? Bigger needles? Smaller needles?

(sorry, I'm still really new at this and poorly-self-taught)

If you need it under your helmet (hello fellow winter biker!), might I recommend a chullo in fingering weight? Knitpicks chullo is the one I'm specifically thinking of: link. I made one with some random fingering weight from socks I had laying around and I love it. Super cozy, not bulky. You'll still need to adjust your helmet some with winter, but that one fits under mine. If you don't want to do all the crazy colour work, just go with one colour instead.

For sleeker scarves, use a thinner yarn plus some smaller needles to match.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Believe it or not, I think the bestest fiber ever is an alpaca/wool blend. The yarn retains the fuzziness and lightness of alpaca, but the wool gives it a bit more memory and bounce so it doesn't stretch out so fast. I've got a skein of Cascade Eco Duo just waiting to become a cowl! Just have to finish Christmas stuff first...

I'm curious how angora knits up? Does it stretch out like alpaca or is it a bit better at retaining its shape? Unfortunately, my best friend is allergic so I have to avoid it. :(

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Angora tends to mostly halo up, it's why it's not usually huge in the fibre content of yarns. Classic Elite does a very lovely soft/smooth wool/alpaca/angora blend called Fresco, the angora makes for giving the fabric a lovely texture on the outside, and the wool/alpaca makes even a sport weight yarn like it have a good squish.

I made a chemo hat for my stepmom using that stuff, it feels great against bare skin.

Paradise fibers has a 100% angora yarn at a decent price, I'm looking at it, but angora is generally such that I'm worried that just my sweaty goon hands would cause it to felt...

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I can't really imagine what I would make with it, but I fondled a skein of handspun 100% angora at the Topsfield Fair last year (they were sitting right there spinning the yarn in the booth it was awesome) and it was the softest thing I have ever touched in my life. Apparently it's 7 times warmer than wool which is actually kinda scary when you think about it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Angora is also known for shedding like a mad thing.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Pucklynn posted:

If any of you ladies are near central Georgia, my parents do indeed own an alpaca farm. My mom is currently drowning in fleeces that she cards herself and spins a bit. I'm not sure what she's doing with all the fiber right now, but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't mind introducing y'all to the girls and boys and I know she'd love to sell you some of the fleece. ;)

PM me if you're local and interested, and I'll see what I can set up. I'm in Maryland myself, so I wouldn't be there, but if you want to look up the farm, we're called Deepstep Creek Alpacas.

I am insanely jealous. I want access to alpaca fleece!

Phishi
May 13, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Angora is also known for shedding like a mad thing.

A while back the yarn harlot got some angora (blend?) yarn that from the sounds of it, was def on the upper scale price-wise that wasn't bad about the shedding. I don't think she mentioned the brand, just remarked that "you get what you pay for." Someday! Though if it's 7x warmer than wool, I'll stick to lace with the stuff. It just doesn't get that cold here in the maritime pacific NW, just a few days of snow (maybe) and the rest of the time it hovers in the upper 30's- mid 40's all winter long and drizzles a lot.

In good news, don't know if it was the vinegar or what, but I washed my Catkin swatch, and no bleeding! Not even any dye in the water, the green is as dark and rich as when I put it in. :)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
How did you do it? Tub or washing machine, what proportion of vinegar...? I'm going to make some blue-and-silver gloves in tosh sock, but I'm too scared to start after what's happened with my cowl!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Where I live, the warmer the better. There's a reason beyond just :neckbeard: alpaca soft :neckbeard: that I'm doing thrummed mittens, and that's -40 degree winters. Soo, maybe I'll order in some of that angora too when I finally bite the bullet and order that kushu kushu scarf kit from Paradise... at the price they're asking I don't supermind if I make something that's too sheddy.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
It was just a wee swatch, so I put a dash of vinegar and eucalan in a bowl and let it soak. I forgot about it so it sat for like 3 hours, whoops! If you're worried about it, you can always wash the skein with vinegar beforehand. You'll have to wait longer to start your project, which sucks when you're itching to get going, but might be worth it. :)

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I need some thoughts. I've been wanting to make this hat pretty much since I first registered on Ravelry, but only now feel confident enough to try it. The only thing that's throwing me now is the band and my weird shaped head. In the notes for their project, someone said they did the band first, then picked up stitches for the top and bottom. I'm thinking about doing the larger section first, then repeat the smaller one until its just snug around my head. Shouldn't be a problem, right?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So after attempting what must have been every bunny patter on etsy I've decided to make my pregnant friend this bunny blanket for her baby girl.

I showed my Mom the pattern and she asked if I was getting the baby a real gift as well.

:smithicide:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

So after attempting what must have been every bunny patter on etsy I've decided to make my pregnant friend this bunny blanket for her baby girl.

I showed my Mom the pattern and she asked if I was getting the baby a real gift as well.

:smithicide:

That is adorable, my 2 year old niece STILL has one of those that someone BOUGHT for her baby shower and she drags it everywhere, and I'd squeal like an idiot if someone made me one for my baby. In short, and no offense to you, gently caress your mother.

In other news, I should probably work on finishing MY baby's blanket, because babies aren't born until their blankets are done right? At this rate, I'll be pregnant till July... (Due in December)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
My niece just turned eight and she still carries around a similarly shaped frog thing.

That attitude that anything handmade isn't real is dismaying, depressing, and honestly kind of gross to me (I also mean no offense to your mother). It's not real unless it was made in a giant factory by a machine? What the gently caress.