Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Ah, it would be nice if you could say, veer off the 5 on to the 14, and lay waste to Santa Clarita, Palmdale, Lancaster and the entire Antelope Valley, while meandering your way in to Bakersfield, touch upon the Mojave and the aircraft graveyard.

As a former Palmdale resident, this would please me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Durgat posted:

The universal truth of video games is that women are just objects.

Well, there was the Tomb Raider series which made a pretty good case that women are actually two objects.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
I wonder if they'll throw in Calico as a little shoutout to RDR. :v:

Midwest shootouts with ak47's yeaaa

Poodlebear
Aug 24, 2006

but if y'all put
feathers on a dog
that don't make it
no chicken
Does anybody else really really want a dashboard/steering wheel/interior view for all the vehicles? Would really help the immersion during those layed back, driving through the city moments.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Poodlebear posted:

Does anybody else really really want a dashboard/steering wheel/interior view for all the vehicles? Would really help the immersion during those layed back, driving through the city moments.

Yes.
I'd rather they model a dashboard/steering wheel/interior view of every single vehicle, including mini-vans, sedans, 4-door sedans, station wagons, SUVs, blimps, jets, motorcycles, scooters, jet packs, jet skis, and dog-driven vehicles.

I'd rather that than a couple more acres of countryside. That's a much better idea and investment than the environment. I really, really want to see another individualized and highly accurate dashboard of a minivan than the time it would take to make these than just a few more acres of random country side I could kick rear end in.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its not like the cars don't already have modeled interiors. Look inside sometime, they are there. That said, that's a camera view I would probably use for five minutes total, at most.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Poodlebear posted:

Me! me! me! Driving around with the FPS mod in GTA IV in the rain, stalking down people with the radio off was pretty loving awesome. Listening to the sounds of the city and what not was eery in a cool way.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
Being an Aussie I'd love to see an outback GTA. If they were though I'd say it wouldn't be a GTA just a R* game like Red Dead etc.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Poodlebear posted:

And then if they could add gaming wheel functionality that would be... well it wouldn't really work because you'd have to switch back and forth between the controller, but it would be neat. In GTAIV sometimes I just like taking taxis and not skipping the ride just so I can look out the window.

Poodlebear
Aug 24, 2006

but if y'all put
feathers on a dog
that don't make it
no chicken
I mean, yeah the interiors are already there, the steering wheel moves and your hands are animated correctly, it seems like it would just be a matter of taking the camera back a few inches. I don't care about how detailed the actual dashboards and stuff are. I just want the windshield to crack when I hit something, or bullet holes to show, that would be sweet. And when you're launched out you'd stay in first person view while in the air. That's all I want.

I'm replaying GTAIV in celebration of the trailer and I just noticed some dude with white iphone headphones doing tai chi on some lonely part of the shoreline. It's little things like that, that's why I love the GTA games (he was knocked down, brutally murdered, his body taken away by the sea).

edit: they wouldn't even have to do it for all the vehicles. Maybe just for the nice ones, doesn't matter.

Poodlebear fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 4, 2011

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
The steering wheels move? I thought they were just static and the hands moved.

Poodlebear
Aug 24, 2006

but if y'all put
feathers on a dog
that don't make it
no chicken

crazysim posted:

Oh, yeah, you're right. drat, coulda sworn the wheel moved.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

crazysim posted:

Wouldn't be difficult to tie the steering wheel object to the moving hands, all things considered.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

Wouldn't be difficult to tie the steering wheel object to the moving hands, all things considered.

Well then they'd have to add a swivel mechanic and render the steering wheel 360 degrees, along with a dynamic binding algorithm to bind the hand and wheel objects together, not as easy as you might think, it all takes more resources.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Didn't GTA3 or VC have that as a driving option? I vaguely recall doing drivebys from a viewpoint inside the car. It might've been dashcam when going forward but looking sideways definitely showed a gun from inside the car I think.

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
If anyone is from the LA, is Disneyland far from the city itself or not?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sir Xiphos posted:

Disneyland's in Anaheim which is in Orange County about 25 miles southeast of LA itself.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Sir Xiphos posted:

Disneyland is in Anaheim (part of Orange County) less than ten miles from the border of LA, but if you look at it on a map you'll see that there's no real distinction between LA and OC as far as development and that continuity extends far past Disneyland... given that it appears that more areas south and east of LA will be included in GTA V and that that area has both Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm, not to mention other minor amusement parks, it's a pretty good bet that there'll be something of that sort.

If you put this to satellite view and look to the left of the pointers, you'll see "La Palma" and a faint line wiggling toward the south west left of the "L"... that line is the San Gabriel River, which is more or less the border between LA and Orange County: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=disneyland&z=10

Note also that the 5 freeway shown in the trailer is the freeway that passes right by Disneyland and that this freeway continues northwest to a small area completely encircled by different freeways right below where it says "Los Angeles"... this is the "downtown" area with all of the taller buildings shown in the trailer, so unless they decided to abruptly cut the 5 in half, there will essentially be an express route from downtown to Disneyland.

efb, whatever

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cacator posted:

In GTAIV sometimes I just like taking taxis and not skipping the ride just so I can look out the window.

Only videogames can make a plain old taxicab ride feel fuckin' amazing.

I'm not mocking you, I really thought that was a cool experience the first time I did it. It was night time and raining and just looking out the window as the taxi drove me to my destination was immersive as gently caress. Also I was high as balls at the time so maybe that factored into it.

pork minstral
Apr 27, 2004

Into the Void

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

I'm really looking forward to V but I don't exactly know if I want to play as multiple characters. Regardless, it'll be a great game I'm sure.

I really can't wait to be back in Los Santos. Last night I tried playing SA again and wow all I can say is that I remember it being a lot better than it is, IV was such a huge overhaul of everything that all it really shares with the past games is the name. I used to be really sentimental about 3, VC and SA and I kind of rejected IV. Rockstar is amazing.
Yeah... I still SA's my favorite, but I haven't played it in years, and rewatching the trailer was jarring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHzG0bKTa1g

We've come a long way.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I hope we get to visit Glory Hole themepark.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Something else just occured to me: Unless the windmills that were shown were those at Tehachapi (which is unlikely because of how far north they are and how few there are there of the style shown), then we could probably expect to see most land marks south and east of downtown LA, west of Palm Springs, and north of the Long Beach Port, which includes not just Disneyland but the pyramid in Long Beach, so the person who wanted to launch sports cars off of the Luxor might not be completely out of luck. Also, this could make the mountain shown be one of the San Bernardino mountains -- east of LA -- rather than "Mount Chilead" further to the west.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
As an Orange County native I just gave up trying to convince tourists that Disneyland wasn't in LA, since I can objectively see how the distinction between Orange County and LA isn't all that obvious from an outsider's perspective. They could pretty easily include it in a greater LA parody without it needing too much creative license.

I spent a lot of time when I played GTA:SA trying to figure out what part of Orange County Red County was supposed to be referencing but I was never able to figure it out.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I hope we get to visit Glory Hole themepark.

Those craaaazy Scots!

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

pork minstral posted:

Yeah... I still SA's my favorite, but I haven't played it in years, and rewatching the trailer was jarring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHzG0bKTa1g

We've come a long way.

This makes it fun again. http://mtavc.com/

We should have some MTA / IV Goon fun to kill time before V. :v:

e: If you play SA:MP, gently caress SA:MP, play MTA.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
GTAIV did have potential for these neat little self-made setpieces. One time I'd taken on a police bounty mission that left me surrounded by corpses under a bridge across from the refinery, and that was when Niko got the call from Mallorie about Roman popping the question. So there he was, forcing enthusiasm for Mallorie's sake while standing ankle-deep in blood, the refinery belching out flames in the distance. It was a great image.

Oh and then there was the time I decapitated a running man with a flying police car

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN

ruddiger posted:

If you do get to play as a girl, I hope she's exactly like Snoop (and you can equip a Hildi for some .27 caliber, full-auto, nail throwin mayhem).

I'd like to have a GTA character who's consistently a sociopath instead of only during gameplay.

I see that there. posted:

I'd rather that than a couple more acres of countryside. That's a much better idea and investment than the environment. I really, really want to see another individualized and highly accurate dashboard of a minivan than the time it would take to make these than just a few more acres of random country side I could kick rear end in.

That's not really a realistic tradeoff. You'd more likely get to choose between having 25 vehicles with no interior view/ugly dashboard or 14 vehicles with fully modeled interiors. Environmental artists are separate from vehicle artists.

I'm probably taking this whole thing too literally. I need to go to bed.

But also, I really liked all the people who complained that they couldn't empathize with CJ because he was black. It's okay to empathize with white serial killers though. :allears:

Rubber Slug fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 4, 2011

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

Rubber Slug posted:

I'd like to have a GTA character who's consistently a sociopath instead of only during gameplay.

That's Tommy Vercetti pretty much.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Install Gentoo posted:

You have to wonder why when there's a mission that requires killing someone, it's almost never a woman too. For some reason mandatory-kill enemies in the GTA games are like 99% male.

Not that killing women is super progressive or anything, but almost never being required to smacks of crappy "women are too delicate blah blah" stuff.

Saints Row has both female cops, main characters and people of both genders being killed both in cut-scenes and in gameplay.

SR2 is also the only game I've found that supports a transvestite main character. As an option.

But it's true that part of the problem GTA has is that their universe is kinda going for the more realistic one, so running people over with cars is almost tragic and shooting people actually gives you a guilty conscience in its cut-scenes.

At least GTAV seems to have some color in its environment, that is rather welcome.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think GTAIV also had this underlying critique of the badass mass murder video game protagonist. Niko starts the game as an incredible rugged badass, but he's miserable and emotionally damaged beyond repair. It's hard to kill fake people when you're presented a realistic representation of what that actually means.

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011

Foiltha posted:

That's Tommy Vercetti pretty much.

You know, Ken. I think that this could be the beginning of a beautiful business relationship. After all you're a conniving, backstabbing, two-bit thief. And I'm a convicted psychotic killer and drug dealer.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's hard to kill fake people when you're presented a realistic representation of what that actually means.

I could do it without too much trouble.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I didn't play GTA4 that much so I don't know how many indoor environments they had but I hope they add more. I want to be able to go into a skyscraper and throw some random dude out of the top floor window, hang out until security arrives, shoot them, and then base jump out of the building.

I also want to drive a car through a department store, having some of the smaller buildings being destructible would be pretty cool.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Gorgolflox posted:

I didn't play GTA4 that much so I don't know how many indoor environments they had but I hope they add more. I want to be able to go into a skyscraper and throw some random dude out of the top floor window, hang out until security arrives, shoot them, and then base jump out of the building.

I also want to drive a car through a department store, having some of the smaller buildings being destructible would be pretty cool.

It would be so cool to crash through a malls doors and drive through smashing poo poo up. :swoon:

a bunch of ants
Jan 21, 2009

Wanna be professional criminals with me?
Gentlemen, let us focus our hopes and dreams on weapons. GTA IV had some good guns but they all pretty much handled the same and it usually boiled down to me just using the pistol because it was so drat accurate. I hope we get dozens more weapons and they ALL handle differently and I want non-mainstream weapons like calico sub machine guns, sawed down semi auto rifles, little .22 derringers, ak-74's, etc. Hopefully you can equip silencers on almost any gun, the video clearly showed silenced AK's but I want a silenced mac-10.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world

BrandonGK posted:

I could do it without too much trouble.

Once I beat the story, every GTA game for me becomes unlimited rounds of me vs the cops.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

pork minstral posted:

We've come a long way.

Dated visuals or not, this is still far and away the best Grand Theft Auto trailer that Rockstar has ever produced. The end of the opening into the big riff, with the Sandking jumping down the hill in the forest, CJ casually walking away from a big rear end explosion with a rocket launcher over his shoulder... even after 7-8 years I still love going back and watching the whole thing. This is the trailer that, after really not being interested in San Andreas ("Can't be that big of a difference from Vice City, can it?" - 2003 Me), got me totally pumped.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
I hope they finally create a level skip cheat.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Schroeder91 posted:

It would be so cool to crash through a malls doors and drive through smashing poo poo up. :swoon:

"You want out of this parking lot? OK... "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

sirbeefalot posted:

Dated visuals or not, this is still far and away the best Grand Theft Auto trailer that Rockstar has ever produced. The end of the opening into the big riff, with the Sandking jumping down the hill in the forest, CJ casually walking away from a big rear end explosion with a rocket launcher over his shoulder... even after 7-8 years I still love going back and watching the whole thing. This is the trailer that, after really not being interested in San Andreas ("Can't be that big of a difference from Vice City, can it?" - 2003 Me), got me totally pumped.

That was indeed an amazing trailer, absolutely amazing.

• Locked thread