Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tifosibella
Aug 17, 2005

captian r u gay

Slime posted:

I really goddamn hope she only ended up calling him Miles. It's still a dorky name but gently caress, it's better than Tails.

I like to imagine that she went whole hog and made his first and middle names "Miles Prower" and then uses Tails as a nickname. I mean, if you name your kid after a video game fox, why not just go all the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbid Muriosity
Sep 4, 2011

Saeku posted:

I once knew a guy whose birth name was Lestat, but he went by Raven.

This reminds me, my best friends middle name is Lucifer. Yep. His mom is pretty nuts though, obviously. He is a very normal person though.

Viola the Mad posted:

I once met a girl named Leela. When I asked, she admitted that she had been named for a TV character, but quickly pointed out that it was also a Hindi name. Presumably she was less than pleased with her parents' decision I'm still not certain if she was named for Doctor Who Leela, or Futurama Leela, but I'm guessing it's the former.

How old was she? Remember that Futurama is only from the year 2000.

Corbid Muriosity fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 4, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Corbid Muriosity posted:

This reminds me, my best friends middle name is Lucifer. Yep. His mom is pretty nuts though, obviously. He is a very normal person though.

I've often half-joked about naming my first son Lucifer. First name.

I'd call him Luci, and he'd grow up to hate me so much.

I forget what the end goal to the plan is.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

He will call himself Fer and become a furry just to spite you.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Huh. That never gets brought up in Freelance Astronauts videos.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I know someone who wants to name his future kid Lincoln just so he can call him Link.

He's also a goon. Hi Mooch! :v:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
One of my friends from back in the day named his son after his D&D character. Fortunately, the name was Logan, which is normal enough. If it had turned out to be a girl, however, she would have been named Serra Angel $LASTNAME. Yes, after the Magic card.

That still would have been better than something out of Final Fantasy. Jesus.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I know some people who named their son Dante, but not after the Italian poet.

They named him Dante after the skeleton mascot their LARP group uses. :cry:

Corbid Muriosity
Sep 4, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

What is odd (other than the obvious) is that his first and last name are perfectly regular names. Lucifer is just tossed in the middle.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish not to derail your fascinating conversation about names.

I don't think this obsession with anime is something you're born with but rather a progressive addiction. It starts with a few cool shows that you like when you're a little kid such as Pokemon or Dragon Ball Z and such(gate way drugs, for the sake of the metaphor), and as you grow older you move on to better and more mature shows (remember, there is some great anime out there, it's just not targeted at adults). However as you watch more and more anime you begin to develop this severely romanticized version of Japan(in my experience comedies are the biggest culprits because they're set in modern day Japan), as well as nostalgia due to the fact that nothing where you live is anything like the anime depicts. Combine this with an inability to grow up and you end up with a very socially incompetent and anime obsessed population.

In a way Anime is a drug. It gives you certain pleasures in a very easy to swallow form such as highly simplified love and other human relationships, as well as worlds where everything seems to be interesting and cool, and all the girls are cute and hot. It grabs on to any nerdy and socially awkward kid and never lets go. I used to watch plenty of anime myself until about the 10th grade and felt a mild obsession until I grew tired of all of it and began to find interest in much more mature subjects. But still every time I see some anime or hear happy and cliche Jpop I feel some very positive nostalgia. That's the effect that years of Anime has on you, and to be honest I can totally see how somebody can become some super-otaku for the rest of their life if they are unable to grow up and appreciate other things. It's just highly concentrated romanticism and the withdrawal from the rest of the world, and it eventually makes everything related to anime seem amazing to the point that some people don't want anything to do with the 3D world.

I'm referring to the general obsession with anime by adults here, Denise is most likely mentally ill.

Just to add: I'm not saying Anime is bad and every kid should avoid it. I'm very glad I used to watch Anime, but when I did I also enjoyed many other forms of entertainment as well. Just for example I read Angela's Ashes back in 7th grade when I first started getting into anime, as well as other books like Harry Potter, and lots of video games. Maybe if Anime was the only thing I ever knew and grew up in an abusive home, then I would be stuck as a grown man with a gigantic collection of Anime and listening to Jpop. Who knows.

Ervin K fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 4, 2011

No Hephaestus
Aug 7, 2010

im fucking furious.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I've always wondered why the character never abandons his (unusually literal) slave-name.

It is TO REMIND HIMSELF OF THE SUFFERING THE HUMANS CAUSED HIM and keep him humble. Or something. Though now they're calling him Go'El.
:goonsay:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Yeah, but then I'd be legally justified in beating him.

Also, I had a manager once who named his kid Zidane. After the FFIX character. He later found out that it's a semi-common name from his wife's homeland and can bullshit it as such to his in-laws.

As for anime addiction, what I find really funny is that there are actually genres of anime directly intended for adults...And a lot of the anime fans like Denise just don't seem to give a poo poo for it.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Also, I had a manager once who named his kid Zidane. After the FFIX character. He later found out that it's a semi-common name from his wife's homeland and can bullshit it as such to his in-laws.

As for anime addiction, what I find really funny is that there are actually genres of anime directly intended for adults...And a lot of the anime fans like Denise just don't seem to give a poo poo for it.

That kid will at some point begin telling people, "I was named after Zinedane Zidane."

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

There is only one Zidane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF4iWIE77Ts

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Obligatory Toast posted:

Or Audio Science.

Audio's dad is named Dallas, and his aunt (Dallas's older sister) is Prairie, so it runs in the family.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Lote posted:

That kid will at some point begin telling people, "I was named after Zinedane Zidane."

Unless he takes after his dad, in which case he will one day name his child Cloud Sephiroth.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I thought anime was targeted at adults in the first place?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Farecoal posted:

Lucky Star is an adult tv show.
Fist of the north star is a kid's show.

Japan is really weird about that sort of thing.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Farecoal posted:

Almost anything in the "Shonen" genre is aimed at teenagers. Things like Pokemon or Yu-gi-oh or Digimon are meant for kids. Everything else is made for adults.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Farecoal posted:

Anime is targeted at a few different groups of people, actually. The anime you've probably seen people go crazy over (Naruto, Bleach, etc.) is generally shounen, and that's aimed at young males. The anime that's more aimed at adults is seinen, and the difference is generally pretty obvious (these tend to have deeper stories or, more likely, are just really brutal. Berserk is a good example of a seinen anime.) Then there's shoujo, which is aimed at young girls.

Clockroach
Dec 12, 2010

Farecoal posted:

When you talk about anime, you have to remember you're not really talking about a genre, but large section of an entire country's entertainment industry. Most western assume that cartoons=children, (except Belgium, maybe France?) but the Japanese found it was a pretty cost effective way for them to produce their own movies and television shows. So there's lots of target audiences all over the board.

Spitball Trough
Jul 25, 2011

tifosibella posted:

I worked in a veritable hotbed of insane animu/gamer/vampire nerds so I don't guess it's that surprising. I'm sure there's a ton of stories I could tell about the people who worked in that place but most of them are just sad.

I personally would be perfectly glad to hear about somebody who was 'just sad'!

Also, how recent are all of these stories? Is this just something that kids nowadays are into? I never saw anything like this during my ultra-geeky days during the mid-90s, and I played "Vampire: the Masquerade", which is really bad! Even the chick who kept vials of blood from her exes would up being able to hack it in the real world (as a plus-size dominitrix, but still).

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spitball Trough posted:

I personally would be perfectly glad to hear about somebody who was 'just sad'!

Also, how recent are all of these stories? Is this just something that kids nowadays are into? I never saw anything like this during my ultra-geeky days during the mid-90s, and I played "Vampire: the Masquerade", which is really bad! Even the chick who kept vials of blood from her exes would up being able to hack it in the real world (as a plus-size dominitrix, but still).
That's just how anime works.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Lucky Star is an adult tv show.
Fist of the north star is a kid's show.

Actually, both of those are adult shows in Japan; Fist of the North Star caused PTA groups to raise unholy hell when it first aired, so all spinoffs are targeted at adults now, and on top of that the magazine the manga ran in (Weekly Shonen Jump) is way more targeted towards teenagers than younger kids.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
A friend who watched too much Sailor Moon once told me she would name her first daughter Jasmine Alouicious Deliose Ecret, or JADE. Kid would have been either extremely angsty or convinced she was an anime princess.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Clockroach posted:

When you talk about anime, you have to remember you're not really talking about a genre, but large section of an entire country's entertainment industry. Most western assume that cartoons=children, (except Belgium, maybe France?) but the Japanese found it was a pretty cost effective way for them to produce their own movies and television shows. So there's lots of target audiences all over the board.
This. The anime I find entertaining is telling me the same type of stories I enjoy in my books, my movies, and my video games. They aren't intrinsically better or worse because a Japanese drew them or wrote them, that just makes them Japanese, which, I guess, is enough on its own for some people.

Someone mentioned the Humper Monkey stories; I was under the impression that those were fabrications; they certainly made my bullshit meter jump a bit more than the usual. Are they generally held to be true?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I think there is some ounce of truth in some of Humper Monkey's stories but they are probably mostly fictional. There are parts such as him claiming not to know anything about anime yet somehow able to describe his kid going supersaiyan and stuff.

His military ghost stories were also epic in nature but lots of goons with military knowledge have debunked them.

Nowadays everytime Humper Monkey's name is brought up it will turn into a debate of how fake his stories were and how stupid goons are etc. Try not to give a poo poo about that and think of them as dumb stories on the Internet.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Corbid Muriosity posted:

Which reminds me. The Special Snowflake who I mentioned earlier in this thread is marrying my friend (Sophie). I was talking to Sophie the other day and she said that once she gets married to Snowflake she wants to have children. Apparently if they have a daughter they want to name her after a character from Stargate. And no, they don't want to name their daughter Amanda. They want to name her Sha're, which Wikipedia tells me is the name for Daniel Jackson's wife in the Stargate film.

:stare:

I didn't voice my concern that the name "Sha're [Anime Surname]" might cause her daughter problems because people often make judgements about a persons ability based upon the stereotypes associated with certain types of name, but maybe I should.

froglet fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 4, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

redmercer posted:

One of my friends from back in the day named his son after his D&D character. Fortunately, the name was Logan, which is normal enough. If it had turned out to be a girl, however, she would have been named Serra Angel $LASTNAME. Yes, after the Magic card.

That still would have been better than something out of Final Fantasy. Jesus.

"Serra Angel" is redundant AAARRRRGH :saddowns::

I have met two girls named Chani who admit they were named after the Dune Character.

Also, to contribute:

To what extent do you think Denise knows that she was making this up?

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
I met a girl named Eowyn. Of course I immediately go "LIKE FROM LORD OF THE RINGS??" I think it's a really pretty name, but she was probably really sick of getting asked the same question over and over whenever she met someone new.

Also, this thread is the most wonderful thing. More Henriette, more Chris, more Denise, more crazy please!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Dunno what kind of person would watch Gundam Wing and want to marry Heero. I mean, Duo is right there and way easier to get into bed.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

uglynoodles posted:

Those are some good consummate Vs, but it needs something...

Yeah, that's better.

tifosibella
Aug 17, 2005

captian r u gay

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah, that's better.

Was gonna say "the S is for 'sucks'" but that's actually kind of an improvement there. :stare:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I feel like less of a weirdo for wanting to name any future kids with Greek Mythology names.

I can't think of a single person growing up who was this bad even though I grew up with a bunch of dorks. The only thing close is when a friend of mine was in grad school for Psychology, one of her classmates had a mental break down and thought she was Jesus reborn (she was Indian too) and kept trying to purge demons out of people. I think she also freaked out and took her top off while teaching a class one time as well.

I think everyone likes a little escapism when they're around pre teen / middle school age. I think its usually around the time kids start to question if their parents are actually their own parents and stuff like that. Its sort of the natural path to try to discover yourself between the transition from child to adult. I should see if I can find where I read about this stuff.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

This isn't really a story about creepy obsession so much as it's about how Middle Schoolers can be shits just for the hell of it.

My best friend and I decided to role play two historical figures having a gay love affair. Keep in mind this was in the mid-80's before anime was a thing...except for G-force, don't talk poo poo about G-force. Jason was such a bad boy.

Anyway I was Gandhi and my best friend was Hitler. We'd pass notes in Spanish class that were pretty retarded but the height of comedy at the time.

"Hey baby, don't be mad..Stalin means nothing to me"

-love and cuddles

Hitler

"No I'm sorry, I won't forgive you!!!"

-Gandhi.

Etcetera. Come to think of it, Gay love affairs featured prominently in a lot that we did. When we played..er I mean Hung Out..we decided that the Emperor from star wars and his guard (we called him Red) were having a gay relationship and Darthy was their kid. Darth was always getting bitchy 'cause they wouldn't let him choke people as much as he wanted. Oh and they were quite the social couple..always having orgies and things.

I'm laughing as I remember, but drat that was some messed up crap we came up with. I guess I'm super glad there isn't some electronic permanent record of this poo poo floating around.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah, that's better.

Wow, Trogdor. The resemblance is truly uncanny.

bringmyfishback posted:

To what extent do you think Denise knows that she was making this up?

That's a really good question I'd want to hear more on! I'm inclined to believe that deep down she probably doesn't believe it for poo poo, but uses it to make herself feel better about her life and all the things she is missing.

Nichole
Nov 5, 2009

Wandering Knitter posted:

I know someone who wants to name his future kid Lincoln just so he can call him Link.

He's also a goon. Hi Mooch! :v:

My friend I grew up with just named her son Lincoln. I don't know if they plan on calling him Link since she is currently not speaking to me since I didn't travel out of state to attend her baby shower.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Alterian posted:

I feel like less of a weirdo for wanting to name any future kids with Greek Mythology names.

I'm gonna name my kid William and, as he grows up, let him on the increasingly hosed-up writers I named him after. So when he's 10 he'll think It's Shakespeare and by the time he's 17 he'll find out that it's also Burroughs. And then if he decides to become a left-wing radical like me he can tell people it's Blake, or if he's a celtic Nationalist Yeats. Everyone wins.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

The Triumphant posted:

I'm gonna name my kid William and, as he grows up, let him on the increasingly hosed-up writers I named him after. So when he's 10 he'll think It's Shakespeare and by the time he's 17 he'll find out that it's also Burroughs. And then if he decides to become a left-wing radical like me he can tell people it's Blake, or if he's a celtic Nationalist Yeats. Everyone wins.

I named my kid William. We are going to tell him he was named after William Riker (He isn't) and that every time Cpt. Pikard yells "Fire at Will!!" we are going to pelt him with socks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
I do have to say my favorite crazy baby name so far has been YujiNaka Amber, given by a Sonic the Hedgehog fan to prove she was hardcore, gais. Last time I heard anything about the mother, she was leaving YujiNaka at home with granny so she could go to increasingly more Anime conventions to cosplay.

• Locked thread