Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Slime posted:

Gamzee has a whole bunch of powerful weapons in his Jokerkind specibus, and I don't think it's ever been explained how he got them.

His sylladex is full of wild cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Cracky posted:

Can anyone remind me how Gamzee got the hammer?

You have absolutely no idea how you got this thing.

And you don't want to know.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Consider also that Zillyhoo is a valid ancestor name.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

As much as I love my Dave-atar, I now want a Karkat-atar. I'm thinking Xamag's Karkat from the EOA5 flash here, but I need a quote. Maybe this one:

CG: I DO TWO THINGS AND TWO THINGS ONLY, I DEVASTATE SORRY MOTHERFUCKERS, AND GET poo poo DONE AS AN AWESOME LEADER.

Any other suggestions?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

As much as I love my Dave-atar, I now want a Karkat-atar. I'm thinking Xamag's Karkat from the EOA5 flash here, but I need a quote. Maybe this one:

CG: I DO TWO THINGS AND TWO THINGS ONLY, I DEVASTATE SORRY MOTHERFUCKERS, AND GET poo poo DONE AS AN AWESOME LEADER.

Any other suggestions?

CG: OK, LET ME JUST CHECK THE UNIVERSAL CLOCK WHICH KEEPS CONSISTENT TIME FOR ALL FRAMES OF REFERENCE AND ALL PLANES OF REALITY.
CG: IT'S HALF PAST YOU'RE A MORON.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Any other suggestions?

That quote seems really unfit for that situation. The mood is completely different.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Any other suggestions?

CG: ANYWAY
CG: THAT'S THE END OF HOW EVERYTHING'S MY FAULT COMPLETELY, AND I'M GARBAGE.
CG: HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If the kids meeting their guardians as kid-players in the post-scratch universe is almost certain now (Jade's "grandson" actually being her grandpa in the reset universe, who naturally with their positions reversed saw Jade as her grandma), what sort of dynamics can we expect when they meet?

I'm expecting it'll be the kids' chance to start afresh with their guardians with everything they've learned about them and the new perspective they have about them, but assuming their guardians were raised by the scratch-session kids as guardians they might not be so immediately receptive. Rose might be able to settle her outstanding problems with her own mother with the scratch 'Mom', Dave finally being an equal to his Bro, etc.

No clue what Dad's deal will be though. Maybe he's scratch-John's son (meaning scratch-John took on nana's role) and raised scratch-nana? Wouldn't it be weird if scratch-dad liked scratch-Rose, who'd basically have Rose's mom's role in this universe? Yeesh, shipping diagram chaos.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Dolash posted:

No clue what Dad's deal will be though. Maybe he's scratch-John's son (meaning scratch-John took on nana's role) and raised scratch-nana? Wouldn't it be weird if scratch-dad liked scratch-Rose, who'd basically have Rose's mom's role in this universe? Yeesh, shipping diagram chaos.

Dad isn't in the loop when it comes to ectobiology and role-switching. People seem to forget this 24/7.

The paradox babies are: John, Rose, Dave, Jade, Nanna, Mom, Bro, and Grandpa. Dad is not one of them.

EDIT: Whoops, kinda misread the post. Nonetheless, it still seems to be a thing people miss.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Supercar Gautier posted:

Dad isn't in the loop when it comes to ectobiology and role-switching. People seem to forget this 24/7.

The paradox babies are: John, Rose, Dave, Jade, Nanna, Mom, Bro, and Grandpa. Dad is not one of them.

EDIT: Whoops, kinda misread the post. Nonetheless, it still seems to be a thing people miss.

That's why I expect him to be in exactly the same place he was in the pre-Scratch universe, if he's there at all.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Yeah, Dadbert is a bit of a glitch in the whole guardian thing.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Level Slide posted:

I love how he is literally the only noteworthy character in the comic who was born naturally, unless you count Hussie.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Level Slide posted:

Bec was a guardian too, but isnt an ancestor. All the trolls had guardians that weren't ancestors.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Arguably Rose's cat could have filled the role of her secondary guardian leaving Dave with....

Little Cal.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Option B: the people who have been suggesting anyone outside the session/universe isn't incorporated into the reset world turn out to be right, and due to weird time poo poo Dave, Rose and the trolls arrive in the new session decades after Jade and John, who have been stepping in to raise (two of?) the guardian-kids. (Or, of course, everyone arrives a long time before the game begins.)

It probably won't be this - although it's hard to say much about the exact mechanics of the Scratch since we know so little about the one documented instance of it. Doc Scratch's conversation with Rose, the one where we learned what the Scratch actually does, kind of suggests that getting out will preserve them without removing versions of them from the reset world, but we know well enough to be careful about things Doc Scratch kind of suggests.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Well, it's important to consider his wording. If he says something could happen, it's definitely something that may not. If he says something will happen, that's completely different. He hasn't said anything incorrect. Just omitted important information and phrased perfectly correct statements in deceptive ways.

Or in other words: he lies by omission, so when considering whether what he's saying is a lie or not, make sure you put a lot of emphasis on what he did not say.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
That's what I mean: he certainly does not come out and straight up say anything like this. What he says directly is "you will all cease to exist completely if you remain here during the Scratch" and "you may find a way to survive the reset and participate in the renewed session", where "you" means the current versions of the kids in both quotes. This suggests there's a way to cause the Scratch and get out of the way without being deleted by it (and it has turned out that there is) but it tells us little about how it works other than that. Nothing about what he says directly implies that escaping the Scratch alters the composition of the reset universe (except by going back in afterwards) and so the suggestion is that it does not, but that's very shaky ground and I wouldn't try to build certitude on it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Judging by what we DO know about the Scratch process (which is very little, and may include some information that only applied to the troll Scratch), here's what I expect to see:

1) Mom, Bro, Nanna, and Harley (J?) are now the players. They are probably all being raised by strange things (except Nanna, who is presumably being raised by Dad, who due to his natural-born nature, should remain the same) because for one reason or another, their ectobiological parents don't exist, because

2) In the troll universe, it is suggested that the trolls and ancestors are literally the same characters as in the pre-Scratch universe because The Sufferer retained his memories (or at least some of them.) This may be because of the specific glitch of the pre-Scratch Troll session. None of the current Kids are in the universe at the time of the Scratch.

3) Doc Scratch will be raising J. Due to the death of Grandpa Harley, Jade was raised by her planet's first guardian. I expect this to remain the case (except instead of "death," there is "nonexistence") and in the Troll universe- and this may just be another conditional thing- the Scratch is what laid the seeds for Lord English and made Doc Scratch the first guardian.

4) As a result of this, the planet will be a brutal place much like the Troll society was.

This is all conjecture based on very little reliable information, though. :saddowns:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Walliard posted:

I love how he is literally the only noteworthy character in the comic who was born naturally, unless you count Hussie.

This is not a known fact.

Also, I'm kind of disappointed that Dave didn't go Snoop Godd Tier. Or did he?

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

4) As a result of this, the planet will be a brutal place much like the Troll society was.
J does love getting into fisticuffs and scrums and whatnot.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

standard owl posted:

J does love getting into fisticuffs and scrums and whatnot.

It sounds like a clockwork orange. The best scratch

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

King of Solomon posted:

3) Doc Scratch will be raising J. Due to the death of Grandpa Harley, Jade was raised by her planet's first guardian. I expect this to remain the case (except instead of "death," there is "nonexistence") and in the Troll universe- and this may just be another conditional thing- the Scratch is what laid the seeds for Lord English and made Doc Scratch the first guardian.

Given that Doc Scratch/the circumstances that made the troll society brutal as gently caress were born out of the troll ancestors' deal with Echidna, I think there won't be a corrupting influence such as Doc Scratch on the kids' Scratched universe.

Unless of course Jade made the same deal with her Echidna. :tinfoil:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

YF-23 posted:

Given that Doc Scratch/the circumstances that made the troll society brutal as gently caress were born out of the troll ancestors' deal with Echidna, I think there won't be a corrupting influence such as Doc Scratch on the kids' Scratched universe.

Unless of course Jade made the same deal with her Echidna. :tinfoil:

That's why I said it was conditional, since I wasn't positive about that agreement (nor was I positive about the one Jade made with Echidna, for that matter.)

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

An entire planet of furrys. That is the post scratch world.

UltraPenguinX
Mar 23, 2009

TC: hOnK hOnK iM a MoThErFuCkInG sEaL :o)
I always thought it was implied that a Doc Scratch entity was guaranteed in a post-scratch universe. Without him or something like him to prepare society for the game, the new universe would end up the exact same as the first one.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Man this speculation is driving me insane, I need it to be 11/11/11 so I can find out what happens already jesus.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

DocFrance posted:

Nanna, in her text chat with FedoraFreak, mentioned "starting a family", which usually implies having a kid the normal way.

quote:

pipefan413: Besides, now was not the time to revisit a destiny with an old star-crossed lover. She had recently become betrothed to a fine, upstanding gentleman. Soon, she would start a family.

So it's not a known fact, but it can be assumed, I think.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

DocFrance posted:

Also, I'm kind of disappointed that Dave didn't go Snoop Godd Tier. Or did he?

Where do new chess people come from?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

UltraPenguinX posted:

I always thought it was implied that a Doc Scratch entity was guaranteed in a post-scratch universe. Without him or something like him to prepare society for the game, the new universe would end up the exact same as the first one.

The tale of how the trollscratch happened is explained here:

Doc Scratch posted:

The heroes, understanding their defeat was absolute, sought advice from the mother of all monsters. She offered them a choice. The heroes could either accept their defeat along with the extinction of their race, and put no others at risk. Or, she could show them a path to a second chance, to a reality in which the chosen heroes of their race would be strong enough to succeed with ease, and claim the reward. This reset would come at the cost of wiping the failed heroes from existence. They would live new lives from scratch, playing different roles in the reset reality, with no memory of the game they played or the choice they made.

The heroes chose to accept this bargain, and scratched their session. In doing so they jumpstarted the reality in which the twenty-four figures of legend would together be created - and I as well - and then sent back in time to take our places in history. Though I was delivered well before history even began, before the dawning of life on their planet. This time around, I would oversee its development, and thus fulfill the mother's promise of an aggressive, ruthlessly prepared group of heroes. One that would not rest until victory was secured.

Basically the troll ancestors made a deal with Echidna for their post-scratch world being aggressive and war-like, and the means for establishing those traits was Doc Scratch. It's not stated if Echidna always makes that sort of deal, and I would doubt it anyway since the kids didn't quite fail, or at least it was not because they were weak but because the first prototyping of Jade's sprite was ridiculous.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

GenericOverusedName posted:

Where do new chess people come from?

The asteroid belt near Derse is full of labs with cloning equipment that mass produces chess people, which are flown to the Skaian battlefield on ships similar to the one Jade is currently breaking fourth walls with.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Oh, right. I forgot about that.

So more stupid questions ...

Dave sent Terezi all his boonbucks because Terezi told him to do it to fulfill that time loop . But why? The stupid things are practically worthless, right?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dave sent Terezi all his boonbucks because Terezi told him to do it to fulfill that time loop . But why? The stupid things are practically worthless, right?

It was a signalling issue. The trolls weren't paying any attention to the kids' universe at all until Terezi saw an absurd amount of (practically worthless) money drop in her account and tracked down the source.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

An idea I had recently is that there may end up being an emphasis on traveling back and forth between the Scratched universe and the session associated with it. As we saw in the Trolls' session, a lot of important things involving the Felt, the Midnight Crew, Snowman, Doc Scratch, the Handmaid and Her Condescension, and English himself happened on Alternia after the trolls had left. Even if they'd known about them they weren't in a position to do anything about it.

Assuming a similar situation will now be occurring in the new universe, it seems like it would be necessary for our heroes to set up some kind of stable method to move back and forth and involve themselves in events in both locations.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Future-Terezi (sometime after the flash, we'll see her soon) went back and told Dave to do it because it would be the big, flashing red arrow pointing her towards the kids in the first place. 413 is a significant number to her so it would be interpreted as this is important - kind of like if you went back in time and had to convince your past self it was actually you, you would talk about some event or idea that only you would know is significant to you.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

MrBims posted:

kind of like if you went back in time and had to convince your past self it was actually you, you would talk about some event or idea that only you would know is significant to you.

Are you suggesting you don't have a password that you've never told to anyone else for just this situation?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

YF-23 posted:

Basically the troll ancestors made a deal with Echidna for their post-scratch world being aggressive and war-like, and the means for establishing those traits was Doc Scratch. It's not stated if Echidna always makes that sort of deal, and I would doubt it anyway since the kids didn't quite fail, or at least it was not because they were weak but because the first prototyping of Jade's sprite was ridiculous.

Just want to point out that Scratch says "Or, she could show them a path to a second chance, to a reality in which the chosen heroes of their race would be strong enough to succeed with ease, and claim the reward."

Essentially Echidna told them about the Scratch, as well as some of the results of doing so. It seems kind of unlikely that a promise made by/to one Denizen would have so much power that it'd create a servant to some time demon (and doom that universe to demon destruction), rather than that being a consequence of performing the Scratch which Echidna may have known about, I guess.

Besides, there is this conversation, where Doc Scratch says "Instances of myself have spawned in countless universes, and my objective is always the same", as well as "But there are rules to [Lord English's] entry, and his grim procession through paradox space is rather orderly. The present equilibrium has accounted for him, and will continue to." In addition, keep in my the pool-themes associated with LE, DS and the Felt. LE is the player, DS is the cueball and the Felt are the rest of the balls. If one player causes a scratch in a game of pool, their opponent gets to replace the cueball wherever they want.

To me that suggests that a)Scratch or something like him is always present in a universe destined to be destroyed by LE
b)The method LE and DS use to enter a universe is somewhat complex, orderly and not random
c)Forcing circumstances where the players must cause a Scratch, which then creates DS and allows LE to be summoned fits all the above criteria, as well as the pool motifs

Basically what I'm saying is that it's more likely that it's performing a reset that summons Doc Scratch, rather than Echidna having that kind of power.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I wonder if the fact that John didn't have enough boondollars to buy any fraymotifs will come into play at any time.

OurLivesOnline
Nov 5, 2009

let's be friends

Kit Walker posted:

I wonder if the fact that John didn't have enough boondollars to buy any fraymotifs will come into play at any time.

The tornados he used in Cascade seemed to be a fraymotif, and Karkat did tell him to go get prepared for the Scratch since it was going to be the game going all out on him. Hopefully he bought them.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

OurLivesOnline posted:

The tornados he used in Cascade seemed to be a fraymotif, and Karkat did tell him to go get prepared for the Scratch since it was going to be the game going all out on him. Hopefully he bought them.

He was just doing the windy thing on the lava, I thought. Honestly fraymotifs probably aren't the biggest deal ever since Dave need(ed) all the ones he has just to not look like a total scrub compared to god tier John.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Well, Vriska did send him all her money at some point, so I assume he could afford the fraymotifs after that.