Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maybe they discovered it while making non lovely apex seals and found out that it's even better as a chassis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cat Terrist posted:

Because that's how likely a sub 1000 kg MX-5 is these days - 2000lbs is 907 kgs for those that dont know moon units.

Thank you, all this imperial weight measurement in this thread is doing my head in :psyduck:

Internet Victory posted:

Why is this still being called the FT-86? Isn't it officially now the Scion FR-S? Are they putting out a version with a toyota badge too?
Scion is an US brand only, so there will be a Toyota version for the rest of the world. The CAR article mentioned that the Celica nameplate might be resurrected for it, but no one is 100% sure yet.

You Am I fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 3, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Internet Victory posted:

Why is this still being called the FT-86? Isn't it officially now the Scion FR-S? Are they putting out a version with a toyota badge too?

Here it is at the nurburgring

Why does a prototype car have a bunch of sponsor decals?

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

You Am I posted:

Scion is an US brand only, so there will be a Toyota version for the rest of the world. The CAR article mentioned that the Celica nameplate might be resurrected for it, but no one is 100% sure yet.

On that topic in 2006 the trademark for 'Supra' slipped and Toyota was a little slow to pick it up. They got it in the end but they have until the end of 2013 to use it or lose the rights again.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

mobby_6kl posted:

I think someone in the other thread asked for a BRZ without the wing. Content-aware fill didn't really do it, but with a bit of aribrushing:

It's refreshing to see a concept like this make it, but I think I'll stick with the MX-5 for now.

This is the best looking new car I've seen in the past 5+ years. I don't even care about the stupid 4 exhaust tips and all that, this is a gorgeous looking car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://sniffpetrol.com/2011/10/28/toyotaft86ashtray/

Sniff Petrol posted:

Toyota has revealed fresh details about the ashtray it will fit in its forthcoming rear-wheel drive sports car, codenamed FT-86. Naturally, the Japanese company wants to keep some details of the ashtray a secret for now, but it has confirmed that the ashtray will be made of plastic and will have a lid.

For the first time, Sniff Petrol can reveal that we were given exclusive access to the ashtray during a top secret Toyota test session back in May. This was very much a development ashtray and key details such as the lift-out insert and the underneath bit were kept under wraps but we were permitted to play with the lid a couple of times and we can report that it had a crisp, short travel action and felt highly responsive. The ashtray engineers were keen to stress that they still had work to do on the texture of the lid but on the evidence we saw it seemed to be quite nice, even though we weren’t allowed to look at it directly.

Meanwhile Subaru, the lead development partner in the FT-86 project, has let slip some tantalising details about the door pockets that will be fitted to its version of the exciting new coupe. A spokesman claimed that these pockets will be slightly more accommodating than those fitted to Toyota’s version of the car and will be capable of taking ‘just under one bottle of water, a sunglasses case and a load of old sticky parking tickets that have gone a bit curly’.

Toyota is not saying anything about its car’s door pockets but has promised that next week it will reveal some exclusive details concerning the FT-86’s upper seat belt mounting point adjustment knob. A Toyota spokesman later denied that his company was revealing the FT-86 ‘too slowly’ and that there was ‘no need’ for them to stop pissing about and just show us the loving car.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

CharlesM posted:

Why does a prototype car have a bunch of sponsor decals?
People are still going to see it. Might as well make some money.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Brilliant. I now have a new place to get all my car related news.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

bull3964 posted:

A 2000lb dry miata, if they can pull it off, is an amazing thing. However, it still doesn't address any of the convertible shortcomings I mentioned. I really don't live in an area where I can enjoy a convertible. If they made such a thing into a coupe, it would be incredible.

You know, you can get them with hard tops...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Moving hard tops, which add major $ and weight to it. I would much rather have the option for a cheaper, lighter fixed-roof, and I owned a NB for ~5 years.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The folding hardtop only adds about 80 pounds on the Miata. It does add a few grand to the price.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Moving hard tops, which add major $ and weight to it. I would much rather have the option for a cheaper, lighter fixed-roof, and I owned a NB for ~5 years.

Yeah, I've got an NB. Thought they were talking about 'new' cars is all.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Tide posted:

I'm generally a full throttle V8 muscle car guy, but for some reason I am really digging this car.

Same here and I really like this car too. As long as it's not freaking 30 grand like for a Miata, they're going to sell scads of 'em.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

TrueChaos posted:

Yep, 30 grand new. No thanks.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have a feeling that there is going to be a lot of potential in this engine, but for it to be a real success in the mod community it will need

LS1 swap compatible
SR20DET swap compatible
and I guess EJ25 swap compatible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TrueChaos posted:

But that was kind of the point. People were complaining about the price compared to the Miata. It takes a 30k Miata to overcome that shortcoming, so the price advantage is lost at that point.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

tobu posted:

On that topic in 2006 the trademark for 'Supra' slipped and Toyota was a little slow to pick it up. They got it in the end but they have until the end of 2013 to use it or lose the rights again.

Maybe a "Supra" version with the Subaru flat 6? ;)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cat Terrist posted:

I would also love to know how Mazda also has worked out cold fusion and FTL travel. Because that's how likely a sub 1000 kg MX-5 is these days - 2000lbs is 907 kgs for those that dont know moon units.

So either its the size of a Smart FourTwo or they have invented Unobtainium

I don't know where people have picked up on the 1780lbs figure for the next-gen Miata, but everything that I've read is aiming for less than the NA's weight of 1000kg with the new 1.4L Skyactiv turbo engine.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Laserface posted:

I have a feeling that there is going to be a lot of potential in this engine, but for it to be a real success in the mod community it will need

LS1 swap compatible
SR20DET swap compatible

No it doesnt. In fact I would suggest that would simply gently caress the car up, just like countless retards have hosed RX7's up with V8 transplants that make the car slower and heavier. The only thing required is if Subaru does it's usual thing and make pretty much everything a bolt on replacement from another car from it's range.

And that pretty much makes a turbo bolt on a slam dunk. Thank you, tuner dream car goodnight!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

Yeah, I've got an NB. Thought they were talking about 'new' cars is all.

Oh yeah, my point was just that even though I owned a ragtop Miata for years, I would have much rather bought a fixed-roof one, but I wouldn't consider the folding hardtop.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Phone posted:

I don't know where people have picked up on the 1780lbs figure for the next-gen Miata, but everything that I've read is aiming for less than the NA's weight of 1000kg with the new 1.4L Skyactiv turbo engine.

http://www.insideline.com/mazda/mx-5-miata/mazda-miata-dieting-for-the-future.html

Inside Line Article posted:

According to a senior insider, Mazda's engineers have been tasked with cutting no less than 720 pounds from the 2,480-pound curb weight of today's Miata in their quest to build a car much closer in character to the 1989 original. In its leanest form, the '89 car weighed 2,178 pounds in U.S. spec.

In fact, this product-planning source does not think the Miata weight target will be met, but described progress to Inside Line as "not bad."

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Cat Terrist posted:

No it doesnt. In fact I would suggest that would simply gently caress the car up, just like countless retards have hosed RX7's up with V8 transplants that make the car slower and heavier. The only thing required is if Subaru does it's usual thing and make pretty much everything a bolt on replacement from another car from it's range.

And that pretty much makes a turbo bolt on a slam dunk. Thank you, tuner dream car goodnight!

I saw a v8 swap RX-7 a few weeks ago and died a little inside. The dude was insistent that it was awesome too and I just shook my head

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If the next Miata comes in under 2178 I will be shocked; a 10% weight reduction is pretty significant and difficult to achieve, let alone their insane 30% weight reduction target

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

itll definitely be a straight swap for any number of Subaru engines, which is great because this one has torque in a pretty useless spot.

I realise that putting those engines in other cars is usually bad, that was kind of the joke. people just do it because they can, not because its a good idea.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

There's a bunch of links to that article, but a year earlier everything was pointing to 1000kg: http://blog.caranddriver.com/report-pegs-next-generation-mx-5-miata-weight-at-2200-pounds/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Shows exactly their journalistic believeability - 300 kgs from an already small car? That should never have passed the draft report stage and the eidtor should have told them to gently caress off.

They wont get it below 1000 kgs. Not these days, gently caress even the Elise over that target weight so how the hell is Mazda going to get close?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Cat Terrist posted:

Not these days, gently caress even the Elise over that target weight so how the hell is Mazda going to get close?
Kei car. They probably set the target for 800 kg and will be perfectly happy if it's 1000 kg. Hell, the Mazda 2 is 1050 kg. I think 1000 kg is realistic.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
The idea that the Miata could come anywhere close in weight to a 600cc rolling tax break with 12" wheels is laughable.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Uh, it's 660ccs, idiot. GOSH.

That said, I can't wait for the carbon fiber ND Miata. What's the curb weight on the original Elan?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Wrar posted:

Kei car. They probably set the target for 800 kg and will be perfectly happy if it's 1000 kg.

Agreed. If you read that article I linked the editor added a line at the end that they feel the 720+ pound reduction goal was more to push the engineering team than a realistic number.

At least Mazda and others are trying now.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
I think it's wonderful that they're trying, but anyone that's actually expecting Mazda to produce a 2000 lb. Miata is going to be very disappointed.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

You don't know mazda like I do.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Piano posted:

You don't know mazda like I do.

The one that tried its damndest but couldn't make a rotary for the modern world?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm probably far too large to fit, but i sat comfortably in a lancer evo recently, so i guess i'll hold out hope.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

kimbo305 posted:

The one that tried its damndest but couldn't make a rotary for the modern world?

I was driving home in the RX-8 today and laughed when I thought about this nice, modern car wrapped around a rotary engine that can't help but smell of fuel and/or oil at any given time.

I love that drat thing.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Internet Victory posted:

Well its off James Mays shopping list now!

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Internet Victory posted:

Can't wait to see the backseats in there.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If Mazda do reincarnate the Suzuki Cappuccino, I'll buy one.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

I'm probably far too large to fit, but i sat comfortably in a lancer evo recently, so i guess i'll hold out hope.

Are Lancer Evos really all that small though? I mean, it's based on a four door family car after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

powderific posted:

Are Lancer Evos really all that small though? I mean, it's based on a four door family car after all.

I saw an Evo locally last year, and it really did not appear too drat tiny. The person driving was at least nearly 6'0", if not slightly taller.

• Locked thread