Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ozmodiar posted:

I'm really interested in this App...but something this powerful also makes me nervous that it's also doing nefarious things...

Yeah, I know... :tinfoil:

I'm normally not very :tinfoil: but for some reason LBE makes me feel weird. It's too good. Especially free. 10 to 1 says it's nothing but still. I can't read the developer's website because the entire thing is in Chinese.

Edit: Apparently there's an English button but the English site is hamstrung compared to the Chinese one.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Yeah...that makes me feel even weirder about it...

I think I'll hold off for now.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ozmodiar posted:

Well, if it makes you feel any better it has quite a following on XDA. Despite their stupidity there's at least one whistle blower there. It's been around for awhile but the English Market version is fairly recent.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

fudsak posted:

Oh, I thought it was some free awesome facebook replacement. drat.

Sounds like you want friendcaster

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Frogmanv2 posted:

FriendCaster is awesome on Honeycomb. Haven't tried it on 2.x though.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

traslin posted:

I like getting apps from the Amazon Appstore because I can share the apps with people (family) I don't mind sharing my Amazon credentials with.

If you have one of the newer market versions, set up a secondary shared google account and attach market purchases to that.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's pretty awesome on it too.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Re: LBE Security.

Could it be for once that there is such thing as a free lunch, with cake that I can eat too?

LBE is the only permission manager that I've seen that actually loving works (without crashing applications) and does it in an elegant manner. I'd like to think that the developers are likeminded tinfoilhatters who are seriously concerned about application permissions and realize that their work is nigh invaluable.

I'd gladly pay :10bux: for this application. It's that good.

Edit: The 2.x english market version is very recent, yes. The original version that has since been pulled due to compatibility issues with android kernels past 2.3.5 has been around for at least 4 months as that is how long I've been using it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Slopehead posted:

LBE is the only permission manager that I've seen that actually loving works (without crashing applications) and does it in an elegant manner. I'd like to think that the developers are likeminded tinfoilhatters who are seriously concerned about application permissions and realize that their work is nigh invaluable.

I'd much rather have app developers not have their apps self destruct when they receive a Denied response. It's lovely on their part and worse, it's deliberate.

I'll agree that LBE is loving stellar. I just wish they had a bit more openness on their part. The only solid comfort I have about it is that it hasn't been ousted from the Market. I sure as poo poo wouldn't install it from anywhere else and even then it's not like the Market has a perfect record.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 4, 2011

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I fail to see the benefit of getting anything from the Amazon Appstore if it's available in the Market at the same price. The only apps I've gotten from Amazon are their freebies of the day, otherwise I don't see the point. There's the potential for issues like this and I find apps are usually updated in the Market before Amazon.

I agree at the same price, but a great example for how Amazon is good is the Remote Desktop app. The one I liked was normally $24.99 or something, and I got it around 50% off.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I was having a problem where I would go to the market and My Apps would show about 15 apps. So nothing on my phone was getting updated. I finally figured out that its because I have 2 Google accounts and 1 Gapps account and the market magically linked itself to the wrong one.

So I switched it back, performed about 5000 updates. But now I'm stuck with 15 apps on the wrong account. Is there an easy way to move them? Or is it just uninstall/reinstall or just remember to switch Market accounts to do updates every now and then? If the market is supposed to do updates for all accounts it certainly wasn't.

Edit:

Thanks. I figured as much. I actually had the new market downloaded from a link earlier in the thread. I just installed it.

Resdfru fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 4, 2011

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Urfdser posted:

I was having a problem where I would go to the market and My Apps would show about 15 apps. So nothing on my phone was getting updated. I finally figured out that its because I have 2 Google accounts and 1 Gapps account and the market magically linked itself to the wrong one.

So I switched it back, performed about 5000 updates. But now I'm stuck with 15 apps on the wrong account. Is there an easy way to move them? Or is it just uninstall/reinstall or just remember to switch Market accounts to do updates every now and then? If the market is supposed to do updates for all accounts it certainly wasn't.

It was a big problem on the old markets. Try the new version that's been rolling out the past few days. A quick Google search should get you the apk.

As for the 15 apps you have, the only solution I found was reinstalling them. :(

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Trypsin posted:

I'm a big fan of Vignette- it can use the volume buttons as triggers on my Galaxy S2.
Thanks, I just tried that. Being able to use the volume buttons as triggers is pretty nice, but otherwise it is fairly unwieldy. Is there a way to stop it from showing that preview screen for every single picture you take, and maybe force it to always display the options panels? It looks like you should be able to put extra option buttons on the top panel, but I can't figure out how.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It was a big problem on the old markets. Try the new version that's been rolling out the past few days. A quick Google search should get you the apk.

As for the 15 apps you have, the only solution I found was reinstalling them. :(
Well crap. I just noticed that I have the same problem. Now I need to reinstall like 20 apps. :(

Oh well, at least updating works again. I had absolutely no idea why it refused to show them, so thanks.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Ozmodiar posted:

Yeah, I installed LBE about a month ago and the more I played with it the more uneasy it made me. Never heard anything bad about it, just seemed to be too invasive if that makes any sense. unistalled next day.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

FriendCaster is pretty nice on my EVO running Gingerbread. The official Facebook app has caught up somewhat, but it still has some extra features. Where it shines is on my TouchPad even though that has GB too. It recognizes that it's a non-Honeycomb tablet and displays in tablet mode, and it's fantastic.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Slopehead posted:

I agree that it seems to work well but I'm a little skeptical of the company itself.

On the subject of tinfoil hatters, check out Tinfoil for Facebook. It's a wrapper for the mobile Facebook site that makes it run in a sandbox with very restricted permissions. It does have a coarse location permission but it's only used if you check in somewhere.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Hey guys, I'm trying to pull a logcat for a game developer but im having some trouble. I've tried a few of the apps on the market but I can't really seem to get them to work. Am I going to have to use the SDK or am I just missing something with these apps?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Glad I'm not the only :tinfoil: guy about LBE.

I'll have to check out FriendCaster and Tinfoil for Facebook though...

Codiusprime posted:

Hey guys, I'm trying to pull a logcat for a game developer but im having some trouble. I've tried a few of the apps on the market but I can't really seem to get them to work. Am I going to have to use the SDK or am I just missing something with these apps?

aLogcat always worked great for me.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Cool, so I have alogcat installed and when I open it says "please wait reading logs" then the screen is just black. Is this what's supposed to happen and im just dumb?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

letsgoflyers81 posted:

It recognizes that it's a non-Honeycomb tablet and displays in tablet mode, and it's fantastic.

How does this work? GB and below are incapable of running Honeycomb features.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

letsgoflyers81 posted:

FriendCaster is pretty nice on my EVO running Gingerbread. The official Facebook app has caught up somewhat, but it still has some extra features. Where it shines is on my TouchPad even though that has GB too. It recognizes that it's a non-Honeycomb tablet and displays in tablet mode, and it's fantastic.

Does it just not show certain friends for anyone else? Drives me crazy, like a quarter of my friends are missing in friendcaster and present in Facebook.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Urfdser posted:

Edit:

Thanks. I figured as much. I actually had the new market downloaded from a link earlier in the thread. I just installed it.

I you have a rooted phone, removing all but one Google account and then running Market Doctor in Titanium Backup will force the market to list all your apps on that one account.

big mean giraffe posted:

He probably means it uses a different layout, not that it uses specifically the fragments api or other Honeycomb-exclusives.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
^ Yes, exactly.

big mean giraffe posted:

It knows it's not Honeycomb. They have a separate Honeycomb version in addition to Pro. Holding the TouchPad in portrait it looks just like it does on my EVO, but when I change to landscape it switches to a tablet layout. I don't see why it couldn't work as long as it's not trying to use Honeycomb features.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

We dealt with the same thing in the Awful app recently. There is a special class of layout file, layout-xlarge, that applies to tablets. Everyone assumed it was only used in Honeycomb, since there were no official gingerbread tablets to take advantage of it. Turns out it was really introduced in Gingerbread, and CM7 for Touchpad takes advantage of it.

So if the dev is somewhat careful to design the layout for that, then you'll find plenty of apps that'll actually work in Touchpad with a tablet layout. Of course, if they make the xlarge = honeycomb assumption (I did), then you'll crash.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Frogmanv2 posted:

Thanks for this, I rarely use Facebook but the GPS polling and notifications were pissing me off royally. This is perfect for me.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
Not sure where else to post this, but does anyone else with an EVO 3D know how the hell to fix these crappyass pictures that it imported via the Facebook app? On my EVO4G, there was something I could do, but for some reason, I can't remember wtf it was!

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question:

Somehow, some way, my phone downloaded my profile picture from Blogger and it shows up in my gallery but I CAN NOT delete it. There's literally no delete option, only Share and Details.

Any idea how I can get rid of this picture?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

nickhimself posted:

Somehow, some way, my phone downloaded my profile picture from Blogger and it shows up in my gallery but I CAN NOT delete it. There's literally no delete option, only Share and Details.

While in grid view long press the picture so it gets a check mark. Down below you should see a delete option. If that doesn't work find it with a file explorer app.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

nickhimself posted:

Did you install Google+ on your phone recently? When I did that it pulled down all the pictures I had on Picassa and any other information associated with my google account.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I'm retarded, that won't work. It's there because it's a picture it sync'ed with Picasa. Pictures uploaded to Blogger will appear in your Picasa account.

KoB
May 1, 2009
For some reason my Gmail lost the ability to set a separate ringtone for emails. The option just isnt there under settings, except that it still uses my old custom ringtone isntead of the phone's default notification. Anyone know of a work around? I want to change it to a new ring. I can set a separate SMS ringtone from the default, just not Gmail.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

KoB posted:

For some reason my Gmail lost the ability to set a separate ringtone for emails. The option just isnt there under settings, except that it still uses my old custom ringtone isntead of the phone's default notification. Anyone know of a work around? I want to change it to a new ring. I can set a separate SMS ringtone from the default, just not Gmail.

They just moved the setting because they added per label notifications in an update.

Settings -> select your account -> Labels to notify (all the way at the bottom)

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Wait wait wait. You guys are excessively paranoid about an application designed to help you feel better about your excessive paranoia about the permissions of other applications.

:psyboom:

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Who's watching the watcher man... who's watching the watcher

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Slopehead posted:

Wait wait wait. You guys are excessively paranoid about an application designed to help you feel better about your excessive paranoia about the permissions of other applications.

:psyboom:

My excessive paranoia is from the fact that the app is a) too good to be free and b) Chinese and lets be honest, China is the wild west of software fuckery and shenanigans. And considering that this is literally the only thing we can reference it's kind of unsettling.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

It's been said but there's nothing android nerds like better than breaking a privacy breach story (see also: recent Dolphin browser news). So since goons, xda and everywhere else loves LBE and have no factual negative things to say about it I am happily running it.

Besides, the number of bullshit apps that it helps you prevent from ACTUALLY intruding on your privacy makes it more than worth the risk.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
If you're worried about lbe couldn't you just deny it internet privileges, making it innocuous with something else like cm permissions mgmt or droidwall? Or would that not work on a root-required app?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Syrinxx posted:

It's been said but there's nothing android nerds like better than breaking a privacy breach story (see also: recent Dolphin browser news). So since goons, xda and everywhere else loves LBE and have no factual negative things to say about it I am happily running it.

Besides, the number of bullshit apps that it helps you prevent from ACTUALLY intruding on your privacy makes it more than worth the risk.

The difference is it's easy enough to figure out what other applications are doing, but LBE gets root so it can do whatever it wants.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

I don't know what's up with Widgetlocker but whenever I use it it takes like 2-4 seconds before I can actually unlock the phone. This doesn't happen with the stock lockscreen so I'm at a loss. Running a version of CM7 on Thunderbolt but it's happened with different ROMs as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Couch Life posted:

I don't know what's up with Widgetlocker but whenever I use it it takes like 2-4 seconds before I can actually unlock the phone. This doesn't happen with the stock lockscreen so I'm at a loss. Running a version of CM7 on Thunderbolt but it's happened with different ROMs as well.

Yeah, when WidgetLocker works it's good but it's incredibly quirky. I've used it on three or four roms across two phones and it's never really worked smoothly.

Which is a shame because I love the ICS lockscreen.

• Locked thread