Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
got drat i love watching you restore bikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlueBayou posted:

got drat i love watching you restore bikes

:3:

Well in that case:

Silverwing tank:

I'll pick that up tomorrow too...then the silverwing can go back together, get listed for sale, and finally get out of my hair...just in time for another old hooptie to show up and displace it. :v:

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.
nm, just realized this wasn't the SV thread

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Z3n posted:

Micron high mount (stupid loud)

Want to trade for a stock exhaust? Stupid loud is ok for my track bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Want to trade for a stock exhaust? Stupid loud is ok for my track bike.

Gonna try and baffle it first...if that falls through, potentially :)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Whelp now I feel like a douche.

As you should!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well, things didn't go well.

Bike started blowing a huge smoke screen a quarter mile after I bought it. Brought it back to the guy and agreed that he'd keep 200 out of 675 and take the bike back, cause I couldn't fit it in the truck. You win some, you lose some.

On the bright side, got to put a few miles in on a 6 cylinder.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

On the bright side, got to put a few miles in on a 6 cylinder.

If I'm reading things right it sounds like you had like a $200 test ride :v:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
You should've bought it and stuck a CBX engine in it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

If I'm reading things right it sounds like you had like a $200 test ride :v:

You know what? I managed to blow up a bike and only pay $200 for the privilege.

Usually they're a lot more expensive than that when they pop :v:

Its too bad, I wanted to build that bike into something cool. I've owned a lot of good bikes, gotta get one bad one in there at some point.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Maybe you shouldn't have spent those first few miles with the front wheel in the air.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MotoMind posted:

Maybe you shouldn't have spent those first few miles with the front wheel in the air.

My only regret is not pulling a massive wheelie on the thing.

My bet: Oil control ring failed. No odd engine noise, power was ok, everything felt fine, it was just pouring out smoke like it was it's job.

Anyways, it wasn't a complete loss...I picked up the silverwing parts that are all painted now and will list that bad boy for sale soon.

Then it's on to the next project...likely building a gaming chair/racing cockpit. Need to buy an oxy-acetelyne torch for welding and a couple of other odds and ends. Then it's on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dear Hooptie,

It's been fun having you in the garage, sort of.

Thanks for not being a total shitpile, and having a bad stator. I appreciate that. You have a new front tire, a new rear tire, freshly adjusted valves, clean fluids. Your front brake will forever be only moderately acceptable, but I accept you for your flaws. Your undersized R/R is now wired directly to the stator, hopefully that will help you travel long and far. Your blinkers work, you are a functional, road legal motorcycle. I pronounce you with as clean a bill of health as possible for a 48 thousand mile motorcycle that is coming up on the grand old age of 30.

May they only ever see you from 10 feet away.

To craigslist with you. From where you were found, hence you shall return.

Good luck, dear hooptie. I hope your future owners are kind, wise, and adjust your valves regularly. Don't work too hard. Remember that even old bikes should have a wheelie every once in awhile...keeps them young.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I like the word 'Hooptie'. :)

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
You aren't kidding about the front brake on that series of bikes. Hoooooly hell, talk about wet sponge.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Duck update???

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

Duck update???

Sad story...She had a hutch that she'd go into at night at the animal sanctuary where we adopted her out, but apparently one night she didn't get in it before bed and a bobcat got her. :(

GL500 is listed for sale on CL. Anyone want a lovely looking but mechanically sound beginner bike?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This thread is a rollercoaster of emotions

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Sad story...She had a hutch that she'd go into at night at the animal sanctuary where we adopted her out, but apparently one night she didn't get in it before bed and a bobcat got her. :(

GL500 is listed for sale on CL. Anyone want a lovely looking but mechanically sound beginner bike?

You need a new duck! One that won't try to bite...

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

redscare posted:

You need a new duck! One that won't try to bite...

I'm still sad about Desmo, this was a month ago when the new owner called me. I will have ducks again one day, but only when we have our own house and a yard. It's too hard to raise them all inside.

I really miss her :(

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
I once hatched about 30 or 40 ducks from eggs, it was very cute seeing them run around when they were still yellow balls of fluff.

(Plus, I had a load of hoisin sauce that had to be used up)

PowerJew
Oct 19, 2011

Z3n posted:

My only regret is not pulling a massive wheelie on the thing.

My bet: Oil control ring failed. No odd engine noise, power was ok, everything felt fine, it was just pouring out smoke like it was it's job.

Anyways, it wasn't a complete loss...I picked up the silverwing parts that are all painted now and will list that bad boy for sale soon.

Then it's on to the next project...likely building a gaming chair/racing cockpit. Need to buy an oxy-acetelyne torch for welding and a couple of other odds and ends. Then it's on.
I still think we should have curb stomped that rear end in a top hat for not giving you all your money back.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Forty Two posted:

I once hatched about 30 or 40 ducks from eggs, it was very cute seeing them run around when they were still yellow balls of fluff.

(Plus, I had a load of hoisin sauce that had to be used up)

I've never been a fan of duck, although I considered developing a taste for it when Desmo would freak out randomly.

Poor Desmo. What a spoiled little bird she was.

PowerJew posted:

I still think we should have curb stomped that rear end in a top hat for not giving you all your money back.

Glad to see you finally made it on to the forums. :v:

PowerJew
Oct 19, 2011
yay now i can be an rear end in a top hat on the internet and in real life.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
So what's the deal with that Honda, is it supposed to be a Moto Guzzi knockoff? Or did Honda just say "gently caress it, we've done a normal V, V4s and a couple inlines, a sideways V is about due"?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Snowdens Secret posted:

So what's the deal with that Honda, is it supposed to be a Moto Guzzi knockoff? Or did Honda just say "gently caress it, we've done a normal V, V4s and a couple inlines, a sideways V is about due"?
That's exactly what it was, minus the tweaked cylinder angle that Honda added (they couldn't figure out how to get the carbs out of the way of the rider's legs). What's funny is that it was far more reliable than Moto Guzzis of the day :xd:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Snowdens Secret posted:

It was actually Honda's first V-twin motorcycle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Silverwing is gone. Goodbye, goofy steed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Got some new acquisitions this weekend...

(Thanks Sanchezzzzz)

(SUCK IT SPIFF)

Oh yeah...put a deposit on this too:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382554
WHOOPS

quote:

This bike took 1st in 500 twins and 2nd in 450 Superbike for 2011. Never crashed all season.
This bike also took 1st in 2010 with Vik Anderson on board.

The crank broke but I opened the motor and bought a new used crank. I have ALL the pieces it just needs new gaskets and be put back together for a fresh motor.

-Penske Shock (serviced earlier this year)
-39 keihin Flatslides
-Sharkskins Bodywork w/ windscreen
-Brembo MC/lever
-Motor w/ cam swap and Carrillo Rods - Needs to be put back together - crank broke and I purchased a good used sv400 crank which is lightened too!
-Gsx-r Front End, Gsx-r Dampener, frame, swingarm, wave rotors, r6 calipers, f3 rear wheel , r6 throttle, rk chain, Vortex Black aluminum sprockets, woodcraft clip-ons, all SS brake lines, rear MC, rear caliper, both wheels w/ Bridgestone slicks and fresh paint.
-lightened subframe w/ battery tray
-Spark wires, coils, wiring Harness with Gsx-r Rectifier
-Woodcraft Rear sets
-Near mint Full leo titanium exhaust
-Front lightened fairing stay (this one has the removable ears)
-gas tank w/ no rust, perfect petcock, and Black Tech Spec grips

i am a broken human being

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 24, 2011

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
SV500 sounds like some crazy two-stroke at first, though reading that thread it sounds like it'd make a good "return to racing gloriously" bike. :mmmhmm:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Broken? More like BROKE.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

SV500 sounds like some crazy two-stroke at first, though reading that thread it sounds like it'd make a good "return to racing gloriously" bike. :mmmhmm:

If I do return to racing, it'll probably be on a 600. I'm 99% sure this bike is gonna get stripped so I can build a glorious SV650 superbike commuter/streetfighter!

redscare posted:

Broken? More like BROKE.

poo poo, when the Harley owner is telling me things are gonna be broke I better watch out.

Money was made to be spent anyways. :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

If I do return to racing, it'll probably be on a 600. I'm 99% sure this bike is gonna get stripped so I can build a glorious SV650 superbike commuter/streetfighter!

Uh, you're not going to leave it as a SV500?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Phat_Albert posted:

Of course not, it's not in Z3n's nature to leave something alone. ALL BIKES MUST BE STRIPPED AND PARTED OUT

...and parts that I can used are sent to me :ohdear:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Nah, the SV500 exists purely to cherry pick the 500cc Twins class, and I'd much rather race a 600 and finish midpack than use a bike that dramatically outclasses most of the other bikes in the class (generally a bunch of EX500s and some older 2 strokes) to try and grab some podium spots.

Honestly, I bought this bike for half a dozen parts (Shock, Brembo MC, Flatslides, Cams, Rotors). I don't have any interest in racing an SV of any sort, would much rather be on a supersport 600, with the new Pirelli trackbike slicks out, you can pick up a second set of rims, drop some SC2s on them that you only run for races, and profit forever be poor. People are getting 8-10 days out of a rear at A pace, although apparently you have to be careful when they go off. Pair an SC2 front to a Trackday Slick rear and you've got tires that last for 8 days for 400 bucks, dramatically cutting into tire bills. Get a paired Diablo Supercorsa front/rear setup for races, only run them for a few laps at a time, and you could probably get through a season on half the tires you'd have to run before.

needknees posted:

Of course not, it's not in Z3n's nature to leave something alone. ALL BIKES MUST BE STRIPPED AND PARTED OUT

...and parts that I can used are sent to me :ohdear:

You're goddamn right I spent 3k to buy a bike so I could rob a handful of parts off of it.

Just emulating Durbahn's methods :smuggo:

Actually, the biggest motivator was that I need to do the chain and sprockets on the SV650 and it felt a little silly to drop $150 on a chain/sprocket kit when I could just buy a bike for $3200. :v:

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Z3n posted:

Actually, the biggest motivator was that I need to do the chain and sprockets on the SV650 and it felt a little silly to drop $150 on a chain/sprocket kit when I could just buy a bike for $3200. :v:

This is the best logic.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

I'd laugh, but I've purchased entire bikes for one or two simple parts before too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

My current living situation:

:buddy:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think you might have a problem, dude.

Your problem is that pool table's taking up the space of at least 2 more bikes, you gotta get rid of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Take the pool table off of Bunway Airlines. I think this forum has seen enough domestic violence, thank you very much.

• Locked thread