Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Bobulus posted:

"Geostationary" seems to be the best explanation, since things get weird if you try to think about the world moving through the solar system, the solar system moving through the galaxy, the galaxy moving through the universe, etc.

In the DnD universe there's crystal spheres and phlogiston and stuff like that though, right? It's not a normal solar system/galaxy/universe setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The immovable rod: one of the most versatile and useful items in D&D, or the most versatile and useful item in D&D?

Beats the Apparatus of Kwalish, certainly.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Pope Guilty posted:

The immovable rod: one of the most versatile and useful items in D&D, or the most versatile and useful item in D&D?

The bag of holding would have words with you.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Red_Mage posted:

The bag of holding would have words with you.

You misspelled Decanter of Endless Water.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
See that's the thing, my experience with D&D pretty much begins and ends with Baldur's Gate and if you asked me what the most powerful item in the game was I'd have said it was a 2 handed Holy Avenger plus 5, but every time a conversation like this gets started with people who actually play the game they always say stuff I wouldn't expect like the Bag of Holding or whatever the Decanter is.

It's at once confusing and extremely interesting to me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's like this:

The designers think of an item like from a fantasy story. Say they think of a scene where the queen of the elves gives the weary travellers a cool drink of water from a magic bottle, even though the bottle doesn't look like it could hold that much water. They want to put that item in their game so they put in the description "you can always pour water out of this bottle, it never runs empty."

Players get their hand on that item and realize, hey, apart from always having a drink of water, you could just as well, say, set that bottle up so it points into a dungeon entrance, go to the beach for a few days until all the monsters have drowned, then come back and do a little comparatively danger-free diving to retrieve the loot. Obviously the designers didn't think of that, haha, wouldn't it be silly if we did that. Except some players actually start doing that in their games because they want to win the game more than they want to play out the fantasy story.

And that's why every [Container] of Endless [Substance] has to have a "stuff disappears if not drunk/eaten/used after 1 hour" clause in 4E.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Nilbop posted:

See that's the thing, my experience with D&D pretty much begins and ends with Baldur's Gate and if you asked me what the most powerful item in the game was I'd have said it was a 2 handed Holy Avenger plus 5, but every time a conversation like this gets started with people who actually play the game they always say stuff I wouldn't expect like the Bag of Holding or whatever the Decanter is.

A Holy Avenger +5 is great and all, but at the end of the day it's just a sword, and a DM can plan ahead for that. What they can't plan ahead for is when you put a bag of holding on the ground lying open and attach a portable hole to an arrow, and fire the arrow when the Big Bad guy runs by the bag of holding, leading to him getting sucked into the Astral Plane. Or when you intentially get swallowed by a giant monster so that you can activate your Feather Token, Tree once you are inside.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Dunno if it still works this way, but two Bags of Holding used to make a pretty rad bomb, also.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Portable holes were awesome and you could do hilarious things with them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I was expecting to see a new comic, not more nerd talk.

Is... is Rich still okay??? :ohdear: am I doing this right or should I sacrifice a virgin along with the incantation?

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL
Begin the ritual:

Gee, I hope Rich is OK and wasn't eaten by a swarm of wild rye weevils.

Nenonen posted:

Is... is Rich still okay??? :ohdear: am I doing this right or should I sacrifice a virgin along with the incantation?

Expressing concern and derailing work, but its not hard to find a virgin around here.

TampaTango fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 4, 2011

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Bobulus posted:

"Geostationary" seems to be the best explanation, since things get weird if you try to think about the world moving through the solar system, the solar system moving through the galaxy, the galaxy moving through the universe, etc.

You know, Asimov sort of wrote a story about that. Dude develops an anti-gravity device, doesn't apply it properly so that it negates all gravity effects in the field. Instead of getting something that makes things floaty, an object entering the field becomes totally stationary - while the earth/sun/solar system keeps on moving relative to it. At least I think that's how it works out, it's been a long time since I read it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ashcans posted:

You know, Asimov sort of wrote a story about that. Dude develops an anti-gravity device, doesn't apply it properly so that it negates all gravity effects in the field. Instead of getting something that makes things floaty, an object entering the field becomes totally stationary - while the earth/sun/solar system keeps on moving relative to it. At least I think that's how it works out, it's been a long time since I read it.

That is roughly how that story works out, yes.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Pope Guilty posted:

The immovable rod is great, but Force Ladder may as well be 'Summon Immovable Rod Ladder'. It's loving tremendous. It's got the same immunities as a Wall of Force, is immovable, can support any weight, and can be summoned in mid-air or whatever angle you want for CL minutes.

And it's only a 2nd level spell, for gently caress's sake. It's one of my favorite spells ever. Two feet wide, 10-60' long, endless possibilities.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

crime fighting hog posted:

You misspelled Decanter of Endless Water.

That's not how you write "portable hole."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I forget. What were the differences between portable hole and bag of holding, gameplay-wise?

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
Can you take a decanter of endless water to the elemental plane of fire, hang it a mile or so up from an immovable rod, turn them both invisible and make your own steam room dimension?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Speedball posted:

I forget. What were the differences between portable hole and bag of holding, gameplay-wise?

One is a hole you can pick up, the other is a bag that is a TARDIS.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Speedball posted:

You can store stuff in a portable hole, but you can also use it to make holes in walls. It's the same sort of portable hole you find in use by Wile E. Coyote.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

TampaTango posted:

Begin the ritual:

Gee, I hope Rich is OK and wasn't eaten by a swarm of wild rye weevils.

Expressing concern and derailing work, but its not hard to find a virgin around here.

Nicely done. New strip!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

It's getting creepy how effective that is.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Humanoid resources.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Russian Guyovitch posted:

Nicely done. New strip!

Holy poo poo!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ha, I love Taquin so much. Although, I think he's finally made his first mistake.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Ha, I love Taquin so much. Although, I think he's finally made his first mistake.

That's exactly what he wants you to think.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah I can't help but feel that he knows everything already.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

New comic: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0813.html

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Russian Guyovitch posted:

Nicely done. New strip!

That feat was so worth it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Good strip. Tarquin owns.

-----

Back to our derail: I had a player whose character was a delightful rear end in a top hat. Excellent RP all the way around, but drat was his dude a selfish jerk.

The capstone? He bought one of those Bags of Tricks (see comic) from which you can pull small useless animals. He didn't put them into any of the intended, more humane situations like combat against people wearing steel footwear. Nope.

He used them as test dummies.

Faced with a dark hole, he'd just toss something in and listen. Does it squeal in pain? Is there a thud? A splash? Can you hear it scrabbling around down there? Did something just say "Never seen a chipmunk in a cave before"?

When faced with a potentially poisoned dinner, he fed some to a rat first.

And so on. It was just wrong.

Though probably not any more wrong than using them as intended, when you think about it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wish he wouldn't save those comics as GIF, the blurriness on the text has bugged me for years.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

ConfusedUs posted:

Good strip. Tarquin owns.

-----

He bought one of those Bags of Tricks (see comic) from which you can pull small useless animals. ... It was just wrong. ... Though probably not any more wrong than using them as intended, when you think about it.

Umm... what's the intended use?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Vorgen posted:

I think to throw a rat or whatever next to the fighter so he can great cleave it into a free attack on the monster. Or to provide flanking bonuses.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The intended use is to get players excited at finding a bag of holding.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
That's really inventive. Let's think of other uses!

You could kill them, and leave their dead bodies as a trail to backtrack out a maze or labyrinth.

You could also do the ole' Rat-Flail. Good ole' Rat-Flail.

What other animals can you draw out of it? Can you cook a nice, tasty quail? Or hollow out a tortoise for some nice ashtrays bracers?

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Nilbop posted:

That's really inventive. Let's think of other uses!

You could kill them, and leave their dead bodies as a trail to backtrack out a maze or labyrinth.

You could also do the ole' Rat-Flail. Good ole' Rat-Flail.

What other animals can you draw out of it? Can you cook a nice, tasty quail? Or hollow out a tortoise for some nice ashtrays bracers?

I think as soon as they die, the animals disappear. I bet you could use them to bluff a waiter into finding a rat in your soup, thus getting a free room for the night.

Just hope you are lucky, otherwise its a badger in the soup.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Vorgen posted:

Extra combatants on the field.

It's just as useless as it sounds.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
The tan bag of tricks isn't entirely useless. The larger animals are great for setting off traps.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Nilbop posted:

Even in Baldur's Gate the weapons weren't the most powerful items. Like you could cheat yourself that NPC assassin sword that was supposed to kill you with no chance of recourse (I think it was on hit death at some impossible save) but it still wouldn't be nearly as powerful as the Illithid crown. The crown was a one use no save mind-control that went through immunities and lasted days which you were expected to use in order to get out of the city. Except you could have your wizard equip it in an item slot and clone himself and have the clone use it preserving the original crown. It even works to hilarious effect on Kangaxx; when you control his initial form the game assumes he is dead and spawns his second form allowing you to have a Kangaxx v kangax brawl.

Items like the decanter of endless water or the portable hole, have simple immutable abilities that fundamentally alter how things work. They don't sound very powerful on their face but when people start getting creative the DM has to really think on his feet to keep up. Hell a Decanter of Endless water + a bag of holding = a portable ocean. You can shrink a huge boulder with a spell and stash it in the bad of holding before enlarging it and then open it above an enemy to crush them. It's pretty easy to see how there are only so many things to do with the sword of hitting things really hard versus something that can break the laws of physics.

Edit: The best use of the bag of tricks is to poison the animals and send them into the ogre camp at evening.

The junk collector fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 5, 2011

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

draper13 posted:

The tan bag of tricks isn't entirely useless. The larger animals are great for setting off traps.

Easily replaced by a level 1 wand, Summon Natures Ally I or Summon Monster I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I suppose they could be great decoys for anything.