Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Those loving videos are really getting me wanting to play MTA again. Anyone else feel like starting up a possible Goons waiting for GTA V group for us to get games in IV and MTA going? Hit me up http://steamcommunity.com/id/shogunner :v:

(if you dont have tbogt on PC you suck)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Ohhhhhhh snap, so much and so little to be gleaned

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Los Santos looks loving huge. Bigger than it did in GTA:SA.

Does this imply that it's the whole map or only part of a larger map? I'm hoping for the latter :allears:

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Athanatos posted:

*map*

That looks loving MASSIVE

:aaaaa:

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

marktheando posted:

I was going to make some comment about how backwards Americans are but in Scotland we called that game 'hunt the oval office'.

In fairness, we've pretty much replaced all nouns with "oval office" at this point :scotland:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Does this imply that it's the whole map or only part of a larger map? I'm hoping for the latter :allears:

I think that's more than enough map. I loved how dense Liberty City was, I don't want them cutting down on the details for the sake of just making a bigger city.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
What are the chances of that being real?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Why are there roads going off the map

Why is there a huge dot the same size as the dot for Los Santos

Why are only the highways showing up as roads

*head explodes*

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well I don't see any mountain ranges or anything.

edit: Maybe the tall rugged mountains are actually impassable and you can only climb the one shown being climbed in the trailer.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 4, 2011

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Aww so if it's legit there's not 3 cities?

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?s=6b32a9003242384cd618734debff26a8&showtopic=491427&st=40&#entry1060833805

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well I don't see any mountain ranges or anything.

How can you tell which bits are and aren't mountains on that blurry map? All I can tell is some parts are city and some aren't.

Anyway it does look quite different from Los Santos in SA.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

A5H posted:

Aww so if it's legit there's not 3 cities?

I don't think anyone ever really expected there to be three cities. It was just wishful thinking. SA came out near the end of the PS2's life, pushing the hardware to the max. GTAIV came out near what should have been near the end of the 360's life, pushing it near the limit.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Crappy Jack posted:

I think that's more than enough map. I loved how dense Liberty City was, I don't want them cutting down on the details for the sake of just making a bigger city.

You'd rather them only do 1/3 of the map from SA and have it be super detailed rather than a recreation of the entire map (hell, maybe even more based on the locations in Los Santos not appearing in SA (at least, I don't think they did)) that's just detailed?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

marktheando posted:

How can you tell which bits are and aren't mountains on that blurry map? All I can tell is some parts are city and some aren't.

I dunno, I just don't really seem much room for them unless Vinewood is really mountainous.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

You'd rather them only do 1/3 of the map from SA and have it be super detailed rather than a recreation of the entire map (hell, maybe even more based on the locations in Los Santos not appearing in SA (at least, I don't think they did)) that's just detailed?

Correct. Yes. A huge sandbox does not always equal a fun sandbox if there's not as many things to do in it.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

In addition to the ~ alleged ~ fake it has been ~ alleged ~ that this was ~ allegedly ~ the picture in the "leak"

e: Actually no it's just some guy going hurr comedy hey guys i have a leaked map too

Point is, leak is probs fake.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Crappy Jack posted:

Correct. Yes. A huge sandbox does not always equal a fun sandbox if there's not as many things to do in it.

Well if there's a huge map (like in SA) with as many things to do as there were in SA (hopefully more / different things so it's not a total rehash), it'll be fun as hell (like SA was).

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Toothy posted:

I felt like multiplayer in IV was never quite as fun as the good times I had with a bunch of goons on MTA back in the day.

User-created maps were the best. Boatse, oj chase, pushover nitro, joust gold, kill jack thompson... :pcgaming: And those were just elaborate races!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRaMibOUWp0

Oh god, so many awesome times playing this back in the day!!

edit: I still have nightmares about certain cage and TMA maps.

Wee Bairns fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 4, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

marktheando posted:

GTA1 LC wasn't anything like GTA3's or like GTA4's.
GTA4 wasn't in the same universe as gta3, they only share names now with the ps2 era.

Well if there's a huge map (like in SA) with as many things to do as there were in SA (hopefully more / different things so it's not a total rehash), it'll be fun as hell (like SA was).
If they would make a full ps2-SA sized map with the detail that went into 4 you would need immense manpower or immense dev time to get it done.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 4, 2011

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

fuckyoubitch posted:

Gotta say I'm not impressed. 4 years and it looks like a miami PC mod for GTA4. After playing BF3 all week those graphics look exactly like GTA4. Should have saved this one for the next console batch.

I still think GTA4 looks pretty drat good, so I'm definitely not too worried about the game on that front and besides, people are still buying COD games that look and play like 12 year old Quake 3 mods.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zedd posted:

If they would make a full ps2-SA sized map with the detail that went into 4 you would need immense manpower or immense dev time to get it done.

Do they not have that?

I guess I'd be satisfied if it was just Los Santos and Los Santos was a ton more detailed than SA's Los Santos was. But if they really went all out and made all 3 loving counties like SA had but with that level of detail across the board, it'll probably be the best 360 game of all.

poo poo, put a bunch of load times in the game. I don't care. I just want to see the scale of SA's map with the amount of detail in that trailer released a couple days ago.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Do they not have that?

I guess I'd be satisfied if it was just Los Santos and Los Santos was a ton more detailed than SA's Los Santos was. But if they really went all out and made all 3 loving counties like SA had but with that level of detail across the board, it'll probably be the best 360 game of all.

poo poo, put a bunch of load times in the game. I don't care. I just want to see the scale of SA's map with the amount of detail in that trailer released a couple days ago.

We all feel this way. But it's better to expect one well executed city and end up being surprised than it is to expect a gigantic tri-city area that is totally full of detail in every square inch and end up complaining that the game isn't big enough and setting yourself up for disappointment. Game's gonna be awesome, but don't go in expecting the moon when all we've seen is one trailer.

Besides, I spent a year living in LA, and that place is HUGE all on its own. You don't need three cities with a place that big, trust me. It just goes on forever. It's insane.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 4, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I'm pretty sure this one city alone will be both more detailed and larger (in area) than all of SA was. IV's Liberty was already more detailed than all of SA, albeit only 2/3 the area.

Zedd posted:

GTA1 LC wasn't anything like GTA3's or like GTA4's.

Yeah.

GTA 1 Liberty City

GTA 1 San Andreas (San Fierro really)

GTA 1 Vice City

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
hahahaha rad custom title

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Install Gentoo posted:

GTA 1 Vice City

BILLY

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I can't believe someone gave him a custom title over that. "He thinks having an open world with dozens of missions in which you kill people only having male enemies is a little weird? THAT SEXIST PIG!!"

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 4, 2011

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Install Gentoo posted:

I'm pretty sure this one city alone will be both more detailed and larger (in area) than all of SA was. IV's Liberty was already more detailed than all of SA, albeit only 2/3 the area.

Yeah.

Yeah, that's fine. I just hope all the detail makes Los Santos a more fun place to play. Parts of SA's Los Santos were really amazing and then other parts were boring as hell. Same thing with San Fierro and Las Venturas, too, really.

If all the most interesting parts of the three main cities from SA are combined into one (or something different is done that's equivalent to that happening) for GTA5, I'll be content.

It looked like that's what was going on in the trailer, though, so I'm not worried.

Install Gentoo posted:

GTA 1 Liberty City

GTA 1 San Andreas (San Fierro really)

GTA 1 Vice City

Jeez, I haven't played GTA1 in ages. Forgot all about its maps.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Not that LA Noire was the most invigorating game to free-roam in, I found the map to be rather dull. Then again, I wasn't going on murderous rampages. I'm sure Los Santos will be 20x more fun!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
That looks too big. If it's anything like IV, I probably won't like traveling at all. If it's like Red Dead Redemption, I may love traveling, however.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

simosimo posted:

Not that LA Noire was the most invigorating game to free-roam in, I found the map to be rather dull. Then again, I wasn't going on murderous rampages. I'm sure Los Santos will be 20x more fun!

Wasn't the game redone in some ways and then rushed near the end of its development cycle? From what I've heard, they put all their time and energy into getting the main story to be awesome and didn't focus on polishing up the city or giving people an excuse to free roam at all.

FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain
Someone posted this picture too

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

This should have been on the last page, but regarding great MTA and SA-MP moments - have my greatest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZ_Hlgwj7U

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That layout matches the San Andreas one so much I would be surprised if it was real.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FetusOvaries posted:

Someone posted this picture too

:stare:

Well poo poo. It's either all fake or they're doing the entire map.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
GTA5 will simulate literally every state and have an intensely detailed parody version of every major city in the game. Problem solved.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I will never understand why people want such huge maps for crime sandbox games. What's the point? Most of the stuff you do in between missions is driving from place to place, with few, if any quests being introduced to you. Red Dead Redemption did it right in that the map was huge, but even if you were in the middle of nowhere, SOMETHING interesting was going down. Saints Row 1/2 did it right in that you always within the vicinity of anything to do. GTA isn't like that. So you'll be driving for 10 minutes doing filler crap as opposed to anything substantial. It's not like an Elder Scrolls game or Fallout where walking in ANY direction for 5 minutes will get you a new quest, so what's the point of such huge, filler worlds and why do people get excited when they see them? The only thing you get, at most, are annoying missions where you drive for five loving minutes just so you can start the mission. That's not fun, that's loving boring.

GTAIV had a huge city and it gently caress all to do.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Songbearer posted:

GTA5 will simulate literally every state and have an intensely detailed parody version of every major city in the game. Problem solved.

Dude, what if, like, real life is actually a GTA game? I can go out and kill a hooker right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They'll probably have both the taxi system and the "gently caress it, I can't be arsed. You drive instead" system when you're on a mission from L.A Noire as well and you'll be able to skip those journeys too so hopefully everyone will be happy.

• Locked thread