Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain

Himuro posted:

I will never understand why people want such huge maps for crime sandbox games. What's the point? Most of the stuff you do in between missions is driving from place to place, with few, if any quests being introduced to you. Red Dead Redemption did it right in that the map was huge, but even if you were in the middle of nowhere, SOMETHING interesting was going down. GTA isn't like that. So you'll be driving for 10 minutes doing filler crap as opposed to anything substantial. It's not like an Elder Scrolls game or Fallout where walking in ANY direction for 5 minutes will get you a new quest, so what's the point of such huge, filler worlds and why do people get excited when they see them? The only thing you get, at most, are annoying missions where you drive for five loving minutes just so you can start the mission. That's not fun, that's loving boring.

GTAIV had a huge city and it gently caress all to do.

Driving down a desert road at sunset is pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Sometimes I wonder if people take the saying bigger is better literally. Seriously GTA V being that huge. Goddamn that is way too much, unless there is a gently caress load of missions. GTA SA did a fine job, but GTA IV did not.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The hope is that it'll resemble SA pretty closely, maybe even do some things much better.

At least, that's my hope :3:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Man don't make me hope for another Las Venturas :( this is way too far out for me to be getting GTA-itis.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

FetusOvaries posted:

Driving down a desert road at sunset is pretty

Having to drive down that entire desert road for a mission, getting killed, then needing to pick up a new set of body armor, retry the mission, and do the entire drive again is not pretty.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Crappy Jack posted:

Having to drive down that entire desert road for a mission, getting killed, then needing to pick up a new set of body armor, retry the mission, and do the entire drive again is not pretty.

But it's so big, Crappy Jack!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

This has nothing to do with the scale of the map and everything to do with extremely poor checkpointing, which GTA4 was horribly guilty of.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

That's a problem with the missions and not the map. The map can be big and awesome to explore for those of us who want that, and that shouldn't affect your experience of the game negatively. The problem you are describing isn't grounded in the map size, but in the poor way that GTAs have generally handled mission checkpoints -- which, IIRC, was somewhat fixed in TBOGT and RDR.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

To be fair, Gay Tony did have mid-mission checkpoints so I can't see GTAV not having them. Not that I'm expecting this game to have more than Los Santos + surrounding countryside.

But yeah I wouldn't want a GTA game as huge as say, Just Cause 2. Repetitive buildings and undetailed cities and villages worked fine in that game, but the 3D GTAs have always put so much emphasis on the character of the city, I wouldn't want them to sacrifice detail for size.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

csidle posted:

That's a problem with the missions and not the map. The map can be big and awesome to explore for those of us who want that, and that shouldn't affect your experience of the game negatively. The problem you are describing isn't grounded in the map size, but in the poor way that GTAs have generally handled mission checkpoints -- which, IIRC, was somewhat fixed in TBOGT and RDR.

I don't see how it's not the map if say, for example, you get a mission and the game has you drive from the city to the desert and it takes 10 minutes to get there. Crime sandbox games force you to get all over the map's butt crack. Some of us like our games fast and convenient. So having a huge map will be a negative to people like us anyways because it will be integrated into the game's design.

Sure, there's taxis for fast travel. But when you complete the mission what if your car stops running in the middle of the desert? This happened in San Andreas a lot. So you'll have to deal with finding a ride in the middle of nowhere where there's little if any traffic.

I'll support big maps if they learn how to make things more convenient for the player. Today, while playing GTAIV, I had a quarter health and needed to fill up before a mission. I ended driving the streets of Algonquin, with a hankering for some health for about three solid minutes before I found a loving hamburger stand. Why can't I just bring food with me to make things convenient?

It's things like that which make it hard to trust Rockstar with things when it comes to large maps, because they will always find a way to make it annoying.

MaliceMolaka
Jan 23, 2005

Welcome to Sensimilla Street.

Himuro posted:

Big maps.

Maybe Grand Theft Auto just isn't your cup of tea. fast and convenient? Call of Duty comes out Tuesday!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

MaliceMolaka posted:

Maybe Grand Theft Auto just isn't your cup of tea. fast and convenient? Call of Duty comes out Tuesday!

Saints Row makes things fast and convenient. Red Dead Redemption makes things fast and convenient. Just Cause 2 makes things fast and convenient.

So...you're saying GTA games should continue to exist in a little bubble?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
You know you really want a game when you've already got complaints about a possibly fake blurry screenshot of a map.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You know you really want a game when you've already got complaints about a possibly fake blurry screenshot of a map.

How I hope it isn't fake. God I hope.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Himuro posted:

Saints Row makes things fast and convenient. Red Dead Redemption makes things fast and convenient. Just Cause 2 makes things fast and convenient.

So...you're saying GTA games should continue to exist in a little bubble?

Wasn't Red Dead pretty much the same with regards to fast travel? You could whistle for a horse in RDR or call a dude to bring you a car in SR3 (Edit:Saints Row 2). How is that different from calling a Taxi or Roman in GTA?

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 5, 2011

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

thebardyspoon posted:

Wasn't Red Dead pretty much the same with regards to fast travel? You could whistle for a horse in RDR or call a dude to bring you a car in SR3. How is that different from calling a Taxi or Roman in GTA?

And people will drive guns and armor to within a 30 second drive from wherever you are.

It's even easier than RDR because you could only fast travel to specific cities, in GTA4 you can plop a pointer anywhere on the map and skip right to it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
If RDR fixed all your grievances with GTA, why do you think Rockstar won't do the same thing for GTA5? Because it lacks horses?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

davebo posted:

If RDR fixed all your grievances with GTA, why do you think Rockstar won't do the same thing for GTA5? Because it lacks horses?

They're two different teams.

thebardyspoon posted:

Wasn't Red Dead pretty much the same with regards to fast travel? You could whistle for a horse in RDR or call a dude to bring you a car in SR3 (Edit:Saints Row 2). How is that different from calling a Taxi or Roman in GTA?

Sometimes you can't reach Roman because "realism". Sometimes you're in the middle of nowhere in GTAIV where there are no taxis, even in the hustle and bustle of Algonquin. So you have to run a few blocks to find one.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 5, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, one of the things I hated the most about GTA4 was that there were times when you wanted a taxi but simply couldn't find one. On repeat plays of the game, I don't bother driving anywhere myself, I just take taxis.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Policenaut posted:

On repeat plays of the game, I don't bother driving anywhere myself, I just take taxis.

I'm playing it myself for the 1st time (Steam sale) and this is exactly what I'm doing. So much faster and more convenient.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
The best part of GTA is just driving while listening to the radio and getting distracted on your way to a mission that eventually leads to an epic police chase.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I go back and play at least once every few months. Right after I finished I did all fast-taxi, then after a while I started to let the cinematic camera go while riding in a taxi, then I started reading interviews about the massive amount of effort in the whole city and claims that the devs could tell you what neighborhood you were playing in just by listening to the sounds without the radio on and now I do a mix of first-person taxi and cinematic and almost never skip a trip or I drive myself.

I feel like a total weirdo because whenever I play now I'm either walking, driving around obeying traffic laws, riding in taxis OR rampaging like a madman and I get a kick out of both.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hopefully you will be able to call for a taxi Saints Row 2 style, where if you call the phone number you see on the sides of taxis one will come to your position. That's one world detail thing that Saints Row really nailed- being able to actually call the phone numbers you see around the world.

Droopy Goines posted:

The best part of GTA is just driving while listening to the radio and getting distracted on your way to a mission that eventually leads to an epic police chase.

Agreed, but for fast travel or just chilling in the taxi listening to the radio when you fancy a break from the action being able to get a cab easily at all times would be great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The problem is that there was a number for taxis in GTAIV, but it didn't work. It was plastered all over the out and inside of the taxi, but the number didn't do anything.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Himuro posted:

They're two different teams.

Rockstar North worked on RDR with Rockstar San Diego. And besides GTA IV utilitzed ideas from other Rockstar games like Bully.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I like playing GTA games, GTA games are cool.
I think this game will be cool.
Cool Cool Cool.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's pretty well established that just about every single non-GTA game from R* is tech demoing things and ideas for future GTA's.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I guess we'll just have to see then.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
There should've been a cheat that'd give you the Sanchez in RDR.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

BrandonGK posted:

Rockstar North worked on RDR with Rockstar San Diego. And besides GTA IV utilitzed ideas from other Rockstar games like Bully.

What features from Bully did it take? I honestly thought it'd take at least a little from The Warriors, particularly its stealth/wanted system, but didn't.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, one of the things I hated the most about GTA4 was that there were times when you wanted a taxi but simply couldn't find one.
To be fair, that does capture the NYC experience. Although, if they're going to be realistic, Los Santos should have no cabs.

Personally, I was fine with the cab system in GTA4. If I ever really needed one, I just called Roman. The only thing that I'd really love for them to adapt is the system in LA Noire where you could just let the other person drive and have the in-car conversation happen as a cut scene.

I'd also like if they copied LA Noire's system of larger guns being stored in your trunk and grabbing them when you needed them.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Oh holy poo poo, I had no idea the trailer was out until today. Looks pretty loving awesome so far. The setting is great and I absolutely love the color in the trailer. The shot of the hikers and the mountains in particular is really pretty.

I have to say, while I am hoping it's more like SA than GTA4 (even though I loved GTA4) was, I'm not holding my breath. Looks like planes are back in though, which is probably good enough even if all the other stuff isn't. Looking forward to it.

Timeless Appeal posted:

The only thing that I'd really love for them to adapt is the system in LA Noire where you could just let the other person drive and have the in-car conversation happen as a cut scene.

Yeah that would be a nice addition, and I wouldn't be surprised to see something like it implemented. I really enjoyed the driving in GTA4, but it did get tedious sometimes.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 5, 2011

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Himuro posted:

What features from Bully did it take? I honestly thought it'd take at least a little from The Warriors, particularly its stealth/wanted system, but didn't.

The taking missions from strangers for one. And getting rid of a wanted level by getting out of the sight of your pursuers.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Himuro posted:

I don't see how it's not the map if say, for example, you get a mission and the game has you drive from the city to the desert and it takes 10 minutes to get there.

Maybe they can do it similarly to how they did in SA and just have all the mission markers start close to where the mission actually starts instead of making you travel halfway across the drat map. That way we can have missions that aren't padded out with tedium while at the same time having a lot of fun terrain to drive around and experience in our spare time.

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Florence Henderson's hand-jobs have Wesonality!

Himuro posted:

Today, while playing GTAIV, I had a quarter health and needed to fill up before a mission. I ended driving the streets of Algonquin, with a hankering for some health for about three solid minutes before I found a loving hamburger stand. Why can't I just bring food with me to make things convenient?

Dial 911 and get an ambulance. Steal it. Heal thyself!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Sometimes I just don't get you guys, it's called Grand Theft Auto for a reason! I find driving to and from missions really enjoyable because GTA does driving well, I might be in the minority but I thought the car handling in GTAIV was much better. It took a little practice to get right, but once you understand that you can't just go flat out into a corner any more it makes the police chases more intense.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
/\ /\ /\ I'm fine with skillful driving being required sometimes, like during missions, you should be able to drive well and push yourself, but when I'm just getting from point A to B, it's nice for that to be easier, since that's just getting around. Having an alternative is also nice.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's even easier than RDR because you could only fast travel to specific cities, in GTA4 you can plop a pointer anywhere on the map and skip right to it.

Nope, you could fast travel literally anywhere if you set a waypoint in RDR. Also, no matter how convenient the gun van was, not having to visit it is more convenient.

MaliceMolaka posted:

This is a dumb thing to say. Grand Theft Auto is possibly the worst game to try and be snobby about, given how ridiculously popular literally every incarnation of it has been. Not to mention that wanting it to be a better version of its own genre is hardly synonymous with being an entirely different game from a different genre.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

BrandonGK posted:

This is something I always loved about Rockstar as a whole. Each studio shares their assets, allowing them to cultivate the best bits from each game.

MaliceMolaka
Jan 23, 2005

Welcome to Sensimilla Street.
What I'm trying to get across is that the game has been and always will be centered around driving. If you don't have the patience to drive to and from your various objectives and enjoy the laboriously crafted world around you then perhaps a game with nonstop and instantly gratifying action would be more suitable.
That said we are all going to buy this game and love it, even if it were set in Bradshaw, West Virginia

MaliceMolaka fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

MaliceMolaka posted:

What I'm trying to get across is that the game has been and always will be centered around driving. If you don't have the patience to drive to and from your various objectives and enjoy the laboriously crafted world around you then perhaps a game with nonstop and instantly gratifying action would be more suitable.
That said we are all going to buy this game and love it, even if it were set in Bradshaw, West Virginia

That's really bad logic. I enjoy driving in GTA, but I don't want to drive 10 minutes out of my way to start a mission, or worse -- die, start over again, have to drive there all over again. This doesn't mean I don't like driving in GTA, it means I don't like mindless tedium.

• Locked thread