Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Nostalgamus posted:

Well, Vriska did send him all her money at some point, so I assume he could afford the fraymotifs after that.

Plus Dave promised to send him back a Boonmint after John sent him his (one measly) Boonbuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

As much as I love my Dave-atar, I now want a Karkat-atar. I'm thinking Xamag's Karkat from the EOA5 flash here, but I need a quote. Maybe this one:

CG: I DO TWO THINGS AND TWO THINGS ONLY, I DEVASTATE SORRY MOTHERFUCKERS, AND GET poo poo DONE AS AN AWESOME LEADER.

Any other suggestions?

Side note on that picture, I love how Kanaya manages to be ~*fashionable*~ in any and all situations.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Cheeseball IV posted:

Side note on that picture, I love how Kanaya manages to be ~*fashionable*~ in any and all situations.

It works in so many situations!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Cheeseball IV posted:

I'm marveling at how well that image would work as a phenomenal prank if you somehow posted it a year ago. It really showcases how much poo poo has happened to the trolls in the last year.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

http://mspandrew.tumblr.com/post/12341136347/le-factoids

Its like he's reading this thread and answering/confirming things. :tinfoil:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

quote:

I think some wanted a more suave motherfucker to bust onto the scene, someone perhaps sleek, dapper. This doesn’t fit the concept at all, nor suits anything we knew about him previously. Doc Scratch is his smooth, well mannered counterpart. He already fills that role. LE as Scratch 2 is a really boring idea to me. LE as a big, no-nonsense brute, functioning as Mr. Hyde to Scratch’s Dr. Jekyll, is much more interesting.

Gonna go ahead and agree with this. :c00lbert:

KoB
May 1, 2009

I want the first page on 11/11/11 to just be Gamzee turning to Karkat all serious and being like "Karkat..... my face hurts."

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
I already loved English (the theme) before the flash and thought it would be perfect for his summoning sequence. Now listening to it kind of gives me the chills.

The version used in the intermission seems a bit different, though; was it really just sped up?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I can only usher a groan after realising the whole "T1CK T0CK BR8K H34DS honk HONK" thing.

HUSSIIIIIIIIIE :argh:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

chrisf posted:

"I am an excellent host."

GOD drat IT

:doh:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

GOD drat IT

My reaction precisely. I loved that writeup - so much information and so interesting to see how well everything is tied together! There's a lot of retroactive foreshadowing in Homestuck, sure, but there's a lot of pure loving genius and well-crafted plot too.

OurLivesOnline
Nov 5, 2009

let's be friends

chrisf posted:

All of these points have been brought up multiple times in the thread... :tinfoil:

They definitely cropped up on the official forums too though. And everywhere else focused on Homestuck.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I guess Dave flying off the handle can go back in the avatar repository, although I'm not sure how I feel about someone else having it. I guess someone already has a non-animated version, although I forget who.

Anyway, I went with a Karkat quote from his very first pesterlog. I also flipped him around and removed the Gamzee blood from his cheek. Now it looks like he is critiquing me and my posting.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

GOD drat IT

I think there may be some new context to Scratch calling the magic cueball one of his seeds, considering how it was combined with Lil' Cal to make him and LE seemed to "grow" out of him.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

I guess Dave flying off the handle can go back in the avatar repository, although I'm not sure how I feel about someone else having it. I guess someone already has a non-animated version, although I forget who.

Anyway, I went with a Karkat quote from his very first pesterlog. I also flipped him around and removed the Gamzee blood from his cheek. Now it looks like he is critiquing me and my posting.

Or the poster right above you.

I think I need to get myself a Karkat avatar. It's about time I got an avatar of my patron troll!

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Good quote choice, I need to get myself a Karkat avatar now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It says something about Karkat that he gets more screentime than anyone else except the kids and avatar images of him are still constantly in short supply.

(what it says is he's the best character)

I still remember when I read his first Pesterlog and thought he was an exceptionally rude WV.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hussie's Tumblr posted:

I think some wanted a more suave motherfucker to bust onto the scene, someone perhaps sleek, dapper. This doesn’t fit the concept at all, nor suits anything we knew about him previously. Doc Scratch is his smooth, well mannered counterpart. He already fills that role. LE as Scratch 2 is a really boring idea to me. LE as a big, no-nonsense brute, functioning as Mr. Hyde to Scratch’s Dr. Jekyll, is much more interesting.

In summary: Scratch is Atlas; English is Fontaine. Scratch is Stringer; English is Avon. Scratch is Tyrion; English is Jaime. Scratch is Bugs; English is Mugsy (too far?)

I was gonna throw an Ogre Battle 64 reference on the pile but no one would get it

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Oxxidation posted:

It says something about Karkat that he gets more screentime than anyone else except the kids and avatar images of him are still constantly in short supply.

I still remember when I read his first Pesterlog and thought he was an exceptionally rude WV.
Could you imagine his interactions with AR? :allears:

But that was never meant to be, unfortunately.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Oxxidation posted:

Karkat may be the best character, but visually he's not actually that interesting. I mean, he's been wearing the same outfit the entire time, and he's pretty monochrome except for the eyes and horns. Unlike say, Feferi who sure does look exotic or Dave and his series of dapper suits, Karkat is just a kid in a tshirt. He doesn't have that many action shots, either. He's more brain than brawn as a leader.

Tea In A Shoe
Feb 1, 2009
I was reading Homestuck again from the beginning and found this:http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002745

I'm no good with numbers but would this explain those 8-ball patterns in the latest flash?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I doubt it. There's no clear and natural division into groups of six and indeed I haven't found one that gives anything remotely interesting, although I only looked for five minutes or so so maybe somebody more obsessive than me will do better.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I just realized an unnoted significance in EAO5

Jade, when she becomes God Tier, is part dog from her sprite having aspects of Bec, and then enlarges herself with space powers. This in fact makes her a HUGE BITCH (bluh bluh)

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Tea In A Shoe posted:

I was reading Homestuck again from the beginning and found this:http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002745

I'm no good with numbers but would this explain those 8-ball patterns in the latest flash?

I thought the balls in the flash were supposed to represent binary. The flashing balls would represent 1 and the 8 balls would represent 0 presumably. It would make sense seeing as that scene popped up right after it showed the ~ATH LE code.

OurLivesOnline
Nov 5, 2009

let's be friends

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I just realized an unnoted significance in EAO5

Jade, when she becomes God Tier, is part dog from her sprite having aspects of Bec, and then enlarges herself with space powers. This in fact makes her a HUGE BITCH (bluh bluh)

She makes the screen bigger, unfortunately.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
Yeah, she's actually making the planets smaller, not enlargening herself.

Regardless, I still prefer going with BLUH BLUH HUGE WITCH

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've only seen the flash once because it's 15 minutes and my time is PRECIOUS, but anyway I was vaguely remembering the part where there's a huge Jade head over the horizon on the battlefield... I guess she was enlarging planets, but she was huge from sprite dave's perspective, at least. I've now even received PMs about how terrible the joke was, but oh well.

A lot of what was being told in the EOA5 was using very abstract storytelling in a compressed time frame and relying on readers to remember things from earlier in the storyline - even if they were significant, it's been a long hiatus.
That's kind of a weakness to me of late MSPA, early things like the first significant EOA flash with Wandering Vagabond were very literal, and you'd be hard pressed to find anything any storytelling that's completely relegated to storytelling symbols in Problem Sleuth aside from the epilogue.
I think that a lot of time when someone is unclear on something in MSPA the reader is blamed, and I think that there may be ways MSPA itself could be clearer. It should be noted that often one's pointed to Hussie's off-site q/a's for explanations but those are often closed, buried, or shouldn't really be necessary for comprehension.
But again, it's just a comic, and fortunately I never actually care if I don't understand something because later events usually make sense of whatever it was I was having a problem with. And then again, I see people struggling to comprehend the stupidest superficial details in other shows and comics.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 5, 2011

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
SUDDENLY WEED DREAMS.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I've only seen the flash once because it's 15 minutes and my time is PRECIOUS, but anyway I was vaguely remembering the part where there's a huge Jade head over the horizon on the battlefield... I guess she was enlarging planets, but she was huge from sprite dave's perspective, at least. I've now even received PMs about how terrible the joke was, but oh well.

A lot of what was being told in the EOA5 was using very abstract storytelling in a compressed time frame and relying on readers to remember things from earlier in the storyline - even if they were significant, it's been a long hiatus.
That's kind of a weakness to me of late MSPA, early things like the first significant EOA flash with Wandering Vagabond were very literal, and you'd be hard pressed to find anything any storytelling that's completely relegated to storytelling symbols in Problem Sleuth aside from the epilogue.
I think that a lot of time when someone is unclear on something in MSPA the reader is blamed, and I think that there may be ways MSPA itself could be clearer. It should be noted that often one's pointed to Hussie's off-site q/a's for explanations but those are often closed, buried, or shouldn't really be necessary for comprehension.
But again, it's just a comic, and fortunately I never actually care if I don't understand something because later events usually make sense of whatever it was I was having a problem with. And then again, I see people struggling to comprehend the stupidest superficial details in other shows and comics.

What it is is that when Hussie writes, he only thinks from the perspective of the person reading through the archives. After all, the serial readers will only have the serial experience once, everyone who reads after that reads archivally.

He would probably say something like "The only reason you're having trouble remembering plot points is because you have so much time passing between updates. If this was all published at once like a novel then you would read at your own pace and things would be easy to recall as soon you see them."

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Walliard posted:

SUDDENLY WEED DREAMS.
So Hella Jeff is their session's LE, and he is born only after the creation of the WEED SUN.

What a twist.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

QueerPope posted:

What it is is that when Hussie writes, he only thinks from the perspective of the person reading through the archives. After all, the serial readers will only have the serial experience once, everyone who reads after that reads archivally.

He would probably say something like "The only reason you're having trouble remembering plot points is because you have so much time passing between updates. If this was all published at once like a novel then you would read at your own pace and things would be easy to recall as soon you see them."
Honestly I'd have an even harder time with these gigantic flashes if I was reading the archive.

We've all been forced to sit around and discuss each flash for days, if you were reading the archive, you'd sit in stunned silence for a couple seconds before eagerly going on to see what would happen next.

It's clearly not the best way to absorb information, but I know it's how I would undoubtedly go about it (and how I did go about the earlier acts- before the Midnight Crew intermission), and I'd definitely have lost a lot of the story, especially stuff from flashes like Cascade.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Eiba posted:

Honestly I'd have an even harder time with these gigantic flashes if I was reading the archive.

We've all been forced to sit around and discuss each flash for days, if you were reading the archive, you'd sit in stunned silence for a couple seconds before eagerly going on to see what would happen next.

It's clearly not the best way to absorb information, but I know it's how I would undoubtedly go about it (and how I did go about the earlier acts- before the Midnight Crew intermission), and I'd definitely have lost a lot of the story, especially stuff from flashes like Cascade.

This is true, but at the same time, later pages do a pretty decent job of explaining what happened in the flash, be it in the form of a recap or the characters talking about it, as they do.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
I definitely missed a lot of stuff on my first archive binge, but part of that was due to glossing over some important exposition bits (esp. in Act 2) in favor of "more inventory/furniture shenanigans please!" :downs:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Walliard posted:

I definitely missed a lot of stuff on my first archive binge, but part of that was due to glossing over some important exposition bits (esp. in Act 2) in favor of "more inventory/furniture shenanigans please!" :downs:

This is why, despite how terrible Act 5.1's pesterlogs can get, I always emphasize the importance of actually reading everything in the story. Every goddamn word.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Walliard posted:

SUDDENLY WEED DREAMS.

I'm glad this was linked because apparently I fell behind on SBaHJ, because I never noticed the comic right before that one.

that fuckin squirrelt

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Unfortunately budsnbabes.com is currently caught in the foul claws of a URL squatter. :(

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

Unfortunately budsnbabes.com is currently caught in the foul claws of a URL squatter. :(

I'm glad I'm not the only one that tried to go there

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

ok I see how the new sb&hj is probably LE related but has http://www.mspaintadventures.com/sweetbroandhellajeff/archive/035.jpg ever had any relevance or allegorical presence in the story?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I guess Nepeta climbing into the vents in the lab could be related?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
Well Aradia's ancestor escaped to the side while Hussie was beating Scratch with a broom.