Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

CornHolio posted:

Yeah the level hasn't changed.

I do need to flush the fluid at some point, it's very old. Could this be the problem?

I'd be surprised if it is, but since its so easy to do, might as well try it first. Everything has been normal since that one incident? Call it a fluke until a more regular and predictable problem shows up I'd say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

an oddly awful oud posted:

I know the M5 is mainly a chariot for overpaid executives out in the wild, but the artificiality of the whole thing really irks me. M cars used to be raw, high-strung guided missiles that were equally at home on the track and road, with screaming, hand-built, detuned racing engines that would blow themselves up if given the chance. I don't expect a modern car to be as extreme, but they could at least try to retain the spirit and purity that made the M badge special in the first place. You don't see Porsche putting engine elevator music in the Panamera Turbo.

Nowadays, I feel like Audi is more on the right track with their RS division than BMW is.

Regarding the speaker gimmick, how do you build a cabin that both insulates you from the outside world AND lets in a ton of induction/exhaust noise? If you absolutely could not compromise on the first point, maybe you lean on technology a bit. I'm sure this wouldn't make it into production if it didn't work well. I'm assuming they explored various potential solutions to this problem. They aren't stupid.

Every normal car from 20+ years ago feels at least raw and high strung by today's standards. The new M5 will meet all the expectations of a $100k luxury cruiser. If it didn't, it would fail as an M car. It will achieve decent MPG figures, last for well over 100k miles without much drama... but will also hit 60mph in 3.7 seconds and lap the Nurburgring in under 8 minutes.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
The new stang is piping noise directly into the cabin, BMW could have done something similar instead of just faking it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Lowclock posted:

Oh I figured you wouldn't really want it since it's all in MPH and MPG and the one from your pictures is in km/h and hogsheads per hectares or whatever. If you swap the plug it should work fine, and I guess you can even swap the gauges too if you wanted. I guess I originally offered it to you and you asked about it first, so you have dibs on it if you actually want it although I don't know what shipping to Canada is like. E-mail me.

Also AlternateAccount: Looked back on the conversation and I'm sorry if you got your hopes up on getting these gauges. To be fair this is what mine does right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv2vn3LX5cM

Its amazingly distracting while driving, especially when all the gauges go nuts and it starts chiming and displaying gibberish.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Needs some eurotrash oontz oontz music to go along with the lightshow.

Man, now I feel lucky that the only problem I ever had with my E34 cluster/OBC was the backlighting going out.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
How common is the 'reverse problem' I'm seeing in the 5 speed auto tiptronic transmissions in 3 series around the 2000-2001 timeframe? I still haven't pull the trigger on buying a car, friend of a friend has a 2001 330ci, but after googling issues with the car, the reverse thing seems like a total ballbuster if it happens to you.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Have you checked http://www.noreverse.org?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Fermunky posted:

So basically its playing russian roulette with 4 grand it seems.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ynotony posted:

Every normal car from 20+ years ago feels at least raw and high strung by today's standards. The new M5 will meet all the expectations of a $100k luxury cruiser. If it didn't, it would fail as an M car. It will achieve decent MPG figures, last for well over 100k miles without much drama... but will also hit 60mph in 3.7 seconds and lap the Nurburgring in under 8 minutes.
The outgoing M5 got total poo poo MPG (The computer told me lifetime 13.5mpg over 40k miles on one I am intimately familiar with) but that wasn't the problem. It was that it had a tiny gas tank so the range on a tank was abysmally low.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

DigitalMocking posted:

So basically its playing russian roulette with 4 grand it seems.

Unfortunately, yes

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

8ender posted:

Also AlternateAccount: Looked back on the conversation and I'm sorry if you got your hopes up on getting these gauges. To be fair this is what mine does right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv2vn3LX5cM

Its amazingly distracting while driving, especially when all the gauges go nuts and it starts chiming and displaying gibberish.

Uhhh, I think that's AWESOME :colbert: It's like KITT got into some acid or something.

It's no problem. You definitely need it worse. I just lose a few lines out of the error display now and then, no big. For me it was just that I was too lazy to actually look for blown caps and would just replace it instead.
Good luck, hope it sorts out.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

an oddly awful oud posted:

Nowadays, I feel like Audi is more on the right track with their RS division than BMW is.

:ssh: Audi does artificial engine noise these days as well. And while not totally artificial, there's this from Ford:

Why are so many car manufacturers doing things like this? Because as consumers, we're morons. We tell the manufacturers that we don't want to hear any road/wind/outside noise, but then we moan and complain that we can't hear the engine through the hundreds of pounds of sound deadening we've demanded previously.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Fermunky posted:

Sheesh, poo poo like this, along with all the suicidal transmissions from Ford, Chrysler, Honda, etc. are why I refuse to buy an automatic car.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

MrChips posted:

:ssh: Audi does artificial engine noise these days as well. And while not totally artificial, there's this from Ford:

Why are so many car manufacturers doing things like this? Because as consumers, we're morons. We tell the manufacturers that we don't want to hear any road/wind/outside noise, but then we moan and complain that we can't hear the engine through the hundreds of pounds of sound deadening we've demanded previously.
So what do you expect them to do instead? There's no special sound deadening that only works on everything but engine noises. If it bothers you I'm sure you can disconnect or turn them off, or rip all the sound deadening out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just found out today that I wasn't really turning off traction control, I was just turning of stability control. You gotta hold the button in for two seconds to turn of traction control.

SIIIIIIIIIDEWAAAAAAAAAYS

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Lowclock posted:

So what do you expect them to do instead? There's no special sound deadening that only works on everything but engine noises. If it bothers you I'm sure you can disconnect or turn them off, or rip all the sound deadening out.

You missed the point. I'm not defending or advocating what BMW does, I'm just trying to show that sort of acoustic tuning is common practice these days, and that the "OLOLO BMW soundracer" criticism isn't really justified.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

MrChips posted:

Mea culpa about Audi, but I actually like the Mustang's solution and think it's really neat. If you want a sedate, silent cabin, you can get a decently equipped 7-series for 90 grand. The M5 should be for people who prioritize performance first, luxury second.

I just find it disappointing because it seems like a cheap and tacky solution. I guess it doesn't matter, neither I nor my wallet were planning on buying an M5 anytime soon. Hopefully the F30 M3 will be more of a purist's car.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What exactly is the solution on the Mustang?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

What exactly is the solution on the Mustang?

A little passive radiator (speaker without a voice coil or magnet) stuck in a tube attached to the intake tract, if I remember right.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

I used the 3M 7125 Gloss Black to wrap the door trim on my E46 Sedan. I have a black car and it matches very well. Some people on Bimmerfest/E46Fan have had good results with the silver/grey/white colors as well.

http://graphicsignsupplies.com/vinyl_cast_7125.asp
Anyone know a different source than this? They have apparently disappeared. Also I need more of a flat/matte/semi-gloss kind of finish.

E: Hmm I guess there is http://www.bmwshadowline.com ?

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 5, 2011

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Third Man posted:

The new stang is piping noise directly into the cabin, BMW could have done something similar instead of just faking it.

VW does the same thing on the GTI. People complain about it because it apparently burns a bit of boost pressure, so it's a semi-common mod to either plug the pipe or replace the intake part with one from the Tiguan that doesn't have the cabin connection.

I'd imagine it's fairly similar to the Mustang's setup.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
Has anyone replaced their E36 motor and transmission mounts? I purchased some Rogue Engineering transmission mounts but learned I should replace the trans and motor mounts as a set to avoid rattling. Is this true? If so, what are some decent motor mounts?

My E36 M3 is coming up on 64K miles and since I just redid the cooling system, I'm thinking of redoing bushings and mounts to give the car life for a while. Anything else recommended while I'm in there?

Realjones
May 16, 2004

voltron posted:

Has anyone replaced their E36 motor and transmission mounts? I purchased some Rogue Engineering transmission mounts but learned I should replace the trans and motor mounts as a set to avoid rattling. Is this true? If so, what are some decent motor mounts?

They don't need to replaced as a set. If you are just using the car on the street I would just go with OEM, unless you want to blow $400 for Rogue's special set. As for stuff to do look check out the edge motorworks 75K checklist.

As my e36 M3 approaches 100K miles, I have some little things I want to do as well, transmission mounts being one of them. However, I find that I spend 90% of my time trying to remove rusted bolts and today I cut myself badly trying to get off the sway bar endlink. As I watched the blood pool under the caliper I thought there has to be an easier way. Maybe I need to pickup a blowtorch or something because PB blaster just isn't doing it. And some gloves.

At least I successfully flushed the brake fluid and replaced the hood shocks. Someday I'll get to the diff/transmission fluid, but man I dread those rusted on bolts.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Deceptor101 posted:

I'd be surprised if it is, but since its so easy to do, might as well try it first. Everything has been normal since that one incident? Call it a fluke until a more regular and predictable problem shows up I'd say.

It happened again today.

So it's likely my clutch master cylinder, should I replace the slave and the hoses at this time, or unnecessary?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
FWIW, the post-facelift NC Miatas do a trick similar to the Mustang.

For those that roll with the top up, I guess :colbert:

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Realjones posted:

They don't need to replaced as a set. If you are just using the car on the street I would just go with OEM, unless you want to blow $400 for Rogue's special set. As for stuff to do look check out the edge motorworks 75K checklist.

As my e36 M3 approaches 100K miles, I have some little things I want to do as well, transmission mounts being one of them. However, I find that I spend 90% of my time trying to remove rusted bolts and today I cut myself badly trying to get off the sway bar endlink. As I watched the blood pool under the caliper I thought there has to be an easier way. Maybe I need to pickup a blowtorch or something because PB blaster just isn't doing it. And some gloves.

At least I successfully flushed the brake fluid and replaced the hood shocks. Someday I'll get to the diff/transmission fluid, but man I dread those rusted on bolts.

Nice, thanks. The Rogue Engineering Trans-mounts were $55 so hopefully they will be quality.

Also, as a random aside, while I was under the car, I noticed the dreaded power steering pump was leaking. I've seen the wet hose before from above, but I guess it had been a while enough that I needed to top off the liquid. Oh well, I'll add it to the list of poo poo for next time.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

CornHolio posted:

It happened again today.

So it's likely my clutch master cylinder, should I replace the slave and the hoses at this time, or unnecessary?

You said you were at 220k or so? You might as well, if its not too much trouble and money. The hoses may be pretty worn by this point and might not handle disconnecting too well. Does the E36 brake/clutch share the same fluid reservoir like on the e46? I'm not sure if you'd need to bleed the brakes afterwards.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

voltron posted:

Has anyone replaced their E36 motor and transmission mounts?
Yes. And the motor mounts were a terrible experience involving a 2 inch diameter, 5 foot long breaker bar with a one end hammered down like a chisel to pry the engine up and hoping that my buddy didn't drop it on my fingers while I was doing the swap.

If anyone has a better way to do it, I'm sure this man would love to hear it--I know I would.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

SuperDucky posted:

Yes. And the motor mounts were a terrible experience involving a 2 inch diameter, 5 foot long breaker bar with a one end hammered down like a chisel to pry the engine up and hoping that my buddy didn't drop it on my fingers while I was doing the swap.

If anyone has a better way to do it, I'm sure this man would love to hear it--I know I would.

Isn't there some method of using a 2x4 to hold up the engine while you swap mounts? Or Mabye that method was for something else.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah you just use a piece of wood on a jack to support the oil pan. That's the only method I'm even familiar with.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jesus christ - don't you people own, or know people who own, engine lifts or strut lifts? These aren't exactly expensive and exotic things to have. Your hands and fingers are worth a lot more.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

Jesus christ - don't you people own, or know people who own, engine lifts or strut lifts? These aren't exactly expensive and exotic things to have. Your hands and fingers are worth a lot more.

Cant you even rent these items? I borrowed one from a buddy, because an engine lift is to ungainly in my garage.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
poo poo I have an engine hoist and I still jacked up my engine by wood under half the oilpan. I just don't trust the little hanger thing that's attached to the magnesium timing cover with 2 tiny screws.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Motorcycle jacks make great engine lifts

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Deceptor101 posted:

You said you were at 220k or so? You might as well, if its not too much trouble and money. The hoses may be pretty worn by this point and might not handle disconnecting too well. Does the E36 brake/clutch share the same fluid reservoir like on the e46? I'm not sure if you'd need to bleed the brakes afterwards.

Yeah it does, and I'm sure I would need to bleed the brakes afterward as well.

The master cylinder is about $100, the slave+all hoses would be another $100 it looks like. I don't want to bleed the whole system twice if I don't have to but at the same time I don't want to replace parts that aren't broken. Know what I mean?

How hard is the slave cylinder to get off of the transmission? The top bolt looks hard to get to, though that's just looking at it and not actually trying to do anything with it...

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a gift for a 335i 2007 sport package owner? I have a flexible budget, but 100 dollars is a rough target. I know for my STi there are various bushings and little things like that that go a long way and are pretty inexpensive. BMW parts seem more pricy though, so if this is a laughable question then, well, laugh away.

The 335 in question is stock but the owner (my dad) is thinking about buying everything suggested by Dinan for their stage two setup. He just got the car so he hasn't raced it yet, but I have a feeling he will be auto crossing next summer.

Thanks.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a gift for a 335i 2007 sport package owner? I have a flexible budget, but 100 dollars is a rough target. I know for my STi there are various bushings and little things like that that go a long way and are pretty inexpensive. BMW parts seem more pricy though, so if this is a laughable question then, well, laugh away.

The 335 in question is stock but the owner (my dad) is thinking about buying everything suggested by Dinan for their stage two setup. He just got the car so he hasn't raced it yet, but I have a feeling he will be auto crossing next summer.

Thanks.

Not a lot for $100, but stay away from dinan crap for the car, its way overpriced for what you get.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

slidebite posted:

Saw the E31. Pics

It is overwintering in a heated hanger next to his airplane.

Quoting this from almost a year ago.

Why? Well it's still for sale. Just for kicks I periodically do a search for E31s so I've seen it on there forever. No, I'm not interested in it but this guy almost deserves to go into the Craigslist gold thread.

Last january, asking $10,900.
This summer, $11,500.

Now, $12,900.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1992-BMW-8-Series-V-12-engine-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ312991108

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Stealth Like posted:

Not a lot for $100, but stay away from dinan crap for the car, its way overpriced for what you get.

I wasn't expecting much; even billet Al oil cap or battery tie would fit the bill, just something fun to receive.

As far as Dinan stuff, it's hard to stomach some of the prices, but I think he is willing to pay since it keeps the warranty. He was originally looking at the AccessPORT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Lowclock posted:

Anyone know a different source than this? They have apparently disappeared. Also I need more of a flat/matte/semi-gloss kind of finish.

E: Hmm I guess there is http://www.bmwshadowline.com ?

Hmm, their website (graphicsignsupplies.com) was working last week and now it's gone and their number disconnected, they must have went belly up.

The 3M 7125 can be found at other places like http://www.beacongraphics.com/ as well. There is a Matte black and many other colors.