Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

nonanone posted:

This is how I feel about it: if you want to get the photograph, don't half-rear end it, don't bring the camera along as a "just-in-case." If you want to enjoy the experience, don't bring the camera. That way neither your photographs or your experiences will be compromised.

Or if you're like me you're going to not be happy with the shots if you bring a camera, or deeply regret not bringing it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
@ xzzy I went through a patch where I hated every single thing I did, then I decided to convert a shot I knew should be good but wasn't into black and white (http://www.flickr.com/photos/learnin_curve/6036108706/), it hit me like a brick thrown by a portly builder, I "see" in black and white, (in the past I converted in black and white with a vague notion that I preferred it and not knowing why), this has made me slow down and be more selective with what I shoot as I'm not just snapping away any more and hoping it looks ok in lightroom. If it's about the colours then I shoot in colour, if it's about the subject then I go black and white.
As a bonus, grey skies don't mean a jot, especially if there are cloud layers and, yay rain, time for some more layers. I'm still a rank amateur but at least I know what to concentrate on to improve.

tl:dr give black and white a go.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Medusula posted:

@ xzzy I went through a patch where I hated every single thing I did, then I decided to convert a shot I knew should be good but wasn't into black and white (http://www.flickr.com/photos/learnin_curve/6036108706/), it hit me like a brick thrown by a portly builder, I "see" in black and white, (in the past I converted in black and white with a vague notion that I preferred it and not knowing why), this has made me slow down and be more selective with what I shoot as I'm not just snapping away any more and hoping it looks ok in lightroom. If it's about the colours then I shoot in colour, if it's about the subject then I go black and white.
As a bonus, grey skies don't mean a jot, especially if there are cloud layers and, yay rain, time for some more layers. I'm still a rank amateur but at least I know what to concentrate on to improve.

tl:dr give black and white a go.

This actually goes back to sitting down and deciding what you want to shoot. Good for you that you stumbled upon it, but shooting black and white is just as much a style/preference as is shooting portraits or anything else.

Look through all the photos you took. Which ones do you like the most, which ones do you dislike the most? Do you prefer black and white? Landscapes? People? Try to find something to focus on, and if that doesn't work, by all means put your camera down for a period of time and come back when you don't fell so confused. A clean slate might be all you need

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

nonanone posted:

This is how I feel about it: if you want to get the photograph, don't half-rear end it, don't bring the camera along as a "just-in-case." If you want to enjoy the experience, don't bring the camera. That way neither your photographs or your experiences will be compromised.

I was so much happier when I figured this out for myself. I'm still a proponent of "have a camera with you" as much as is feasible, but when I separated fun events by experiencing vs shooting, I got more out of both. It drives my non-photographer friends crazy when I'm on trips with them and not shooting anything, but I'm so much happier just enjoying the moment and not stressing about photography. When I want to focus on photography, I want to be completely absorbed in that aspect instead.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

The dorkroom is my photo class. :colbert:

Well, and the copy of Understanding Exposure that the dorkroom convinced me to buy.

I have improved in the time since, but it's to the point where I won't even lift the camera if I don't see a perfect shot with great lighting.. and I don't have the patience to sit around and wait for the scene to be perfect. If ridiculous patience is what it takes to be great, I'd be fine with never being a pro photographer, but it doesn't change that poor results have really curbed my enthusiasm.

I dunno dude, I don't think you should limit the shots you take. Take lots and lots of pictures. It is the only way to get better. Take the pictures, think about the pictures, think about what could make the pictures better and then go out and do it all again.

You're going to get more joy out of something if you put work into it. If you half-rear end something you're going to get half-rear end results. It's not about being a "pro photographer". If you're doing it for that reason, you should quit (imo). It's about the pleasure of creating something you think is beautiful. I think if you do put the work in, and create the image you see in your head, it's gonna be a fantastic feeling.

nonanone posted:

Why would you not always carry a camera with you? Even if its just a 35mm point and shoot, I almost always have a camera on me. When I dont have a camera, I see some reason why I should have a camera. Always have a camera.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

BobTheCow posted:

I was so much happier when I figured this out for myself. I'm still a proponent of "have a camera with you" as much as is feasible, but when I separated fun events by experiencing vs shooting, I got more out of both. It drives my non-photographer friends crazy when I'm on trips with them and not shooting anything, but I'm so much happier just enjoying the moment and not stressing about photography. When I want to focus on photography, I want to be completely absorbed in that aspect instead.

I understand what the though process is and how it would be beneficial to both shooting and enjoying the moment, but what about when you're going on a trip that you know will be beautiful, so you want to do both? Do you force yourself to choose one or the other, or do you divide your time?

For example, I want to go to the east coast next year, for both photography and for a vacation. This will be the first time I visit, and probably the last, at least for a good while. How do you balance the two? Last year I went to Europe I had a really hard time separating them. I know that if I hadn't taken any pictures at all, I would have been really disappointed, but I did find myself concentrating more on photography than enjoying myself, and I do regret not living more in the moment. It didn't help that I barely knew how to use a camera, but the point is the same, I think.

I just want to get the bost of both worlds...is that possible?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
A good quality film point and shoot like a Contax T2 or whatever is good to have as a "just in case" camera because it's small, compact and quick to use, but delivers great quality when called upon so you can enjoy yourself, but still get a photo if there's one of those "holy crap" moments.

Also, phones are getting better and better as an option. I went to Europe and some of my favourite photos were taken with my iPhone 4 because it was silent, small and unobtrusive plus it was there when I wanted it.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

Why would you not always carry a camera with you? Even if its just a 35mm point and shoot, I almost always have a camera on me. When I dont have a camera, I see some reason why I should have a camera. Always have a camera.

I have a phone camera for things like "omg that's so funny" and "look it's a memory," but to me, capturing memories versus making photographs are 2 totally different things, and if you worry all the time about making your trip (or whatever) look really beautiful, you're going to either not enjoy yourself as much you could, or not make as good of photographs as much as you could. Now, I'm not saying that a camera isn't a good thing to have sometimes "just in case", but if you let it weigh on your mind like you gotta make good photographs all the time, it can really ruin a good time.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

nonanone posted:

...capturing memories versus making photographs are 2 totally different things...

My thoughts exactly. I used to carry my camera around when I first started taking photographs, but I don't do that anymore. When it's time to make pictures it is my main focus (hurr) and the camera stays at home if not.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

McMadCow posted:

My thoughts exactly. I used to carry my camera around when I first started taking photographs, but I don't do that anymore. When it's time to make pictures it is my main focus (hurr) and the camera stays at home if not.

Yeah, for me there is a huge difference between creating/making an image you conceptualise from just taking a picture of a thing - both I think are valuable but there is a key distinction between the type of photographer you are based on that. I don't find myself taking pictures or even having a camera out with me unless it's for my shoot.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

xzzy posted:

What bugs me is that when I spend a couple hours hiking and end up at a gorgeous scene, it only looks good when seen with the eye. Point a camera at it and take a picture.. it loses everything that made it worth remembering.

Is this bad composition? Bad settings? Or a trait imposed by the way a camera captures light?
Borrow someone's medium format camera on your next trip and run a couple rolls of Fuji Velvia 50 through it. Guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I took a picture of this guy the other day:

In a heavy accent he commented on my Hasselblad. After I took the photo he asked if I could email him the photo and gave me his business card. Turns out he's a member of parliament in Sweden (where Hasselblads are made). Go figure! Just some guy reading the paper and he's a fairly major politician. Who knew?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

HPL posted:

A good quality film point and shoot like a Contax T2 or whatever is good to have as a "just in case" camera because it's small, compact and quick to use, but delivers great quality when called upon so you can enjoy yourself, but still get a photo if there's one of those "holy crap" moments.
This. I almost always have an XA on me. I bring out the dslr when I purposefully go out to take photos. This system works out great for me when I travel (all the time). I end up taking more with the film p&s and it gets frustrating having to wait months to be able to see/post anything I shoot but I've taken so many photos with the XA I personally enjoy on occasions when I know I wouldn't have had the dslr. Being a photographer means you take pictures and having a camera with you is a requirement for that.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Mannequin posted:

Go figure!

I had a fairly prominent (locally anyway) artist approach me at the convention I was shooting last weekend and ask me about the Crown Graphic. Someone got their technologies mixed up and told him I was shooting tintypes, but after a few minutes talking we got that straight. Right away he asked if I could do a portrait of him and his wife. This is the test shot I took with my Nikon just to make sure I was getting the exposure correct. Still waiting on the negative to get developed.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

squidflakes posted:

I had a fairly prominent (locally anyway) artist approach me at the convention I was shooting last weekend and ask me about the Crown Graphic. Someone got their technologies mixed up and told him I was shooting tintypes, but after a few minutes talking we got that straight. Right away he asked if I could do a portrait of him and his wife. This is the test shot I took with my Nikon just to make sure I was getting the exposure correct. Still waiting on the negative to get developed.

Awesome! Vintage cameras can really spark some interesting discussions. That's an awesome photo, too! Can't wait to see the full scan.

On another note, I was looking at the people who added this photo of mine to their favorites, and one person in particular stood out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32476442@N03/favorites/with/6289587005/#photo_6289587005

...creeeeepy. I wonder what form of lung cancer he has.

Geek USSR
Mar 24, 2011
Has anybody ever submitted photos to a website like Shutterstock? If so, made any money? Is it a good idea? Is there anything better?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Mannequin posted:

I took a picture of this guy the other day:

In a heavy accent he commented on my Hasselblad. After I took the photo he asked if I could email him the photo and gave me his business card. Turns out he's a member of parliament in Sweden (where Hasselblads are made). Go figure! Just some guy reading the paper and he's a fairly major politician. Who knew?

Everything in this post owns.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Yeah, that's a cool story, Mannequin :sweden:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mannequin posted:

Awesome! Vintage cameras can really spark some interesting discussions. That's an awesome photo, too! Can't wait to see the full scan.

On another note, I was looking at the people who added this photo of mine to their favorites, and one person in particular stood out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32476442@N03/favorites/with/6289587005/#photo_6289587005

...creeeeepy. I wonder what form of lung cancer he has.

Yeah, I uploaded this picture of a friend a while back:

DSC_0941 by spikespikespike, on Flickr

And got invited to this group: "MALES:GOOD Quality PORTRAITS of male CIGARETTE smokers."

People on flickr like people who smoke I guess?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Awkward Davies posted:

People on flickr like people who smoke will jerk off to anything I guess?

Fixed that for you.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Awkward Davies posted:

People on flickr like people who smoke will jerk off to anything I guess?
Fixed2

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Here is a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9dMn2CbrpQ

How it's Made :swoon:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Martytoof posted:

Here is a thing

Awesome.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Shmoogy posted:

Or if you're like me you're going to not be happy with the shots if you bring a camera, or deeply regret not bringing it. :(

I bring the camera and don't worry too much about the shots, especially when alcohol is involved.

For example I ended up with a whole lot of terrible shots on my mates engagement party, but had a really great time getting them. Discovery of the weekend: a 5DII and 50m f/1.8 gives you a lot more wiggle room when you're drunk and in poor lighting than my 30D with 50mm f/1.8 :)

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Even though I sold it, I kinda think I'll buy another 50/1.8 as a walk around lens. It is so much lighter than a 50/1.4!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

dissss posted:

I bring the camera and don't worry too much about the shots, especially when alcohol is involved.

For example I ended up with a whole lot of terrible shots on my mates engagement party, but had a really great time getting them. Discovery of the weekend: a 5DII and 50m f/1.8 gives you a lot more wiggle room when you're drunk and in poor lighting than my 30D with 50mm f/1.8 :)

I personally think this is the perfect camera for the alcohol affected user:

https://www.lytro.com/camera

Focusing after the fact.

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Here is a thing

Holy christ, did you see the lens one? I know it leaves a ton out, but :drat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7_wL0ZZi6k

Now I know the nifty fifty is cheap as dirt...

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Menorah on Fire posted:

Holy christ, did you see the lens one? I know it leaves a ton out, but :drat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7_wL0ZZi6k

Now I know the nifty fifty is cheap as dirt...

That's nothing. Here's a three-part video showing how they make Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM lenses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkWsk9rXpcU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T7BDeMU_Ks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpkAWZTwqI4

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

William T. Hornaday posted:

That's nothing. Here's a three-part video showing how they make Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM lenses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkWsk9rXpcU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T7BDeMU_Ks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpkAWZTwqI4

The hand-crafting of Leica glass :smug:

http://vimeo.com/26251829?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+hakandahlstrom+(Håkan+Dahlström+Lifestream)

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
Here's a message I got on my personal fb this morning:

" Hey would it be possible for you to take some professional pictures of me sometime? I want a couple for self promotion. I'd pay you some if you want it. If so just let me know, I would appriciate it. Thanks! "

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Anti_Social posted:

" Hey would it be possible for you to take some professional pictures of me sometime? I want a couple for self promotion. I'd pay you some if you want it. If so just let me know, I would appriciate it. Thanks! "

Am I missing something here?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Anti_Social posted:

So? Give them a quote and see what happens?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
One time someone offered to pay me for my services and I responded by telling them I'd rather be hosed in the rear end by a rabid horse than accept their filthy money. Then I posted about it on the internet.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RangerScum posted:

One time someone offered to pay me for my services and I responded by telling them I'd rather be hosed in the rear end by a rabid horse than accept their filthy money. Then I posted about it on the internet.

You posted on the internet, I went out and found a rabid horse* :colbert:

*It was actually a donkey, but let's not get hung up on the details.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

Sevn posted:

Am I missing something here?

It was the "id pay you some if you want it" that struck me.

If it was someone I actually was friends with, sure, I have no problems with a freebie for a small shoot. But the message struck me as a "i kind of know you, want your pictures, but I don't want to actually pay you much if at all."

Maybe I'm just used to wedding clients and how that whole process works.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Sevn posted:

hung
ha

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I took a bunch of pictures of our new Learning Commons for the library newsletter. I weeded out the throwaways, batch processed the rest, and sent them as small previews to the head librarian and asked her to tell me which ones she wanted fully processed. That was two weeks ago and I haven't heard back. I'm sure she didn't just forward the whole zip file to whoever asked for the pictures, and even if she did, nobody would be dumb enough to actually send a bunch of 800x1200 jpegs out to print, right? :ohdear:

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Anti_Social posted:

It was the "id pay you some if you want it" that struck me.

If it was someone I actually was friends with, sure, I have no problems with a freebie for a small shoot. But the message struck me as a "i kind of know you, want your pictures, but I don't want to actually pay you much if at all."

Maybe I'm just used to wedding clients and how that whole process works.

Those kind of people quickly disappear when you tell them your rates haha.

GWBBQ posted:

I'm sure she didn't just forward the whole zip file to whoever asked for the pictures, and even if she did, nobody would be dumb enough to actually send a bunch of 800x1200 jpegs out to print, right? :ohdear:

That is definitely large enough to print in a newsletter...

Sevn fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 7, 2011

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Sevn posted:

That is definitely large enough to print in a newsletter...
Yeah, at least they'll probably keep with tradition and not credit me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GWBBQ posted:

Yeah, at least they'll probably keep with tradition and not credit me.

How did they pay you? Did they pay you for the shoot, or not at all? Next time watermark all your pictures.