Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

Looks like a relatively good deck to me, things like having to play Disciple of Griselbrand notwithstanding. Actually is there some reason you'd rather play Neonate or Disciple over Walking Corpse?

Also, is the Dragon actually commonly considered to not be worth it? I wouldn't have even thought about dismissing it if I was in the colors, but is it actually suboptimal to be playing it? The way you say that makes me wonder if I missed something.

Neonate because it goes with Heir.

Disciple because I didn't evaluate it as a bad card because "Oh, it has a sacrifice effect." I see my mistake now.

As for the dragon, I just feel like it's rather lackluster because it just looks like the sort of card that, in this deck, would be irrelevant by the time I get the mana for it; either I've won or I lost. Feel free to correct me, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
More fun than a stick in the eye.

Jon Joe posted:

I know that the dragon is iffy

The first rule of Limited is to never ever pass the dragon.

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

Brought to you by Fishy Joe's.

blitzkreig.bmp posted:

To clarify, it was against sever the bloodline which probably is the right pick. Not saying mayor is bad, sever is just better.

Edit: In another draft I just made a crucial error.

I'm at 9 life, opp is at 14

My side: Thraben Sentry, Rage Thrower, Voiceless Spirit

Opp side: Skaab Goliath, Kessig Wolf

Opp attacks with both, I block wolf with spirit and skaab with sentry. I was obviously under the impression that I couldn't kill the goliath so I went with the chumps in an effort to try and race with the rage thrower. Of course after first strike damage sentry flips and I realize that the goliath could've been dead . gently caress.

To be fair, if I was your opponent and you blocked goliath with sentry and thrower, I would probably just not give wolf first strike. That way you'd be left with a voiceless spirit against a goliath.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

blitzkreig.bmp posted:

Mayor is a 1/1 and stays a 1/1 as long as opp has something to play.

You can skip casting a spell on your own turn to flip it. Also I like green more than black in this set, even though that's weird to say. Sever's great for sure though.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

blitzkreig.bmp posted:

When I said that I meant "Sever the Bloodline kills Mayor of Avabruck and the Wolf tokens by casting Sever the Bloodline on Mayor of Avabruck and flashing it back for the Wolf tokens."

Also, not a fair comparison. Elesh Norn is bigger and better than Mayor, both killing opponent's creatures and boosting your own while being big enough to evade most damage and -X/-X based removal. Mayor is a 1/1 and stays a 1/1 as long as opp has something to play. It's very good, and the pick I made, but Sever the Bloodline deserves some argument for it. I'm sorry if my analysis is poor.

If you're using Sever + flashback to kill Mayor and some wolf tokens, you're making a 1-for-1 trade where the opponent is way ahead on mana and probably somewhat ahead on life.

But yeah, certainly my example is specifically selected to show a situation where this type of analysis clearly gives the wrong result; Norn is much much better than Mayor, Spread the Sickness is worse than Sever. My point was only to display the fact that card comparisons have to be made against the field as a whole, not each other.

I haven't actually played a single game with Innistrad cards, so I certainly won't argue if the consensus is that Sever is actually superior. I'd just want to hear more explanation as to why that might be. :shobon:

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I managed to stick a mask of avaycn on Olivia Voldaren to lock up a match. :unsmigghh:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Jon Joe posted:

So I just drafted ISD for the first time:

*image*

I know that the dragon is iffy, but I included it because I wanted to play around with Heritic's Punishment.

Other than that, what do you all think?

Just went 2-1, lost to a blue-black deck with Skaab Goliath; both games that it was played, I lost. Also, I really like Heretic's Punishment and it was used to good effect multiple times. The dragon never saw play, as predicted, though it did net me some important damage with Heretic's more than a few times.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Ugh, why am I so bad at drafting. I need serious help:

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=3072q

I got passed solid UW spirits, and then white and blue immediately dried up. And as always, I underdrafted creatures. I keep getting tricked into white-green or white-blue and having it backfire, what am I missing?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Speaking of Heretic's Punishment, I saw a game in another draft pod at FNM in which a guy lost to decking himself with Heretic's Punishment. He could have won if he had his Geistflame...but it was the last card in his deck. (The other guy had a Trepanation Blade ready to go on a Doomed Traveler or its spirit token, and the Blade would have ended up milling the Geistflame. The Punishment guy couldn't have Punishmented the Geistflame and flashed it back, because that would have led to him being decked on his upkeep anyways, the way it worked out).

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Loot Pinata posted:

I got passed solid UW spirits, and then white and blue immediately dried up. And as always, I underdrafted creatures. I keep getting tricked into white-green or white-blue and having it backfire, what am I missing?

Pack 1, Pick 2: Voiceless Spirit is a better pick by far; it's lower on the curve, in the same color your first pick was, and still a spirit.

Pack 2, Pick 2; Scholar is an insanely good card; 5/1s for 3 that let you pick through your deck are good.

Pack 2, Pick 4: You looked like you were going black, why not Corpse Lunge or Moan?

Pack 3, Pick 3: If you weren't already low on creatures, I'd have taken Clausterphobia

Pack 3, Pick 5: Huh? Did you think it said all your creatures? Or maybe you misclicked? Delver of Secrets was the definite pick.

Pack 3, Pick 6: I'd have taken Occultist. It's a dude (lady).

What colors did you end up playing?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
P3P3 - Agreed.
P3P5 - I didn't mis-click, I had a bunch of Doomed Travellers and the Monk and thought it would work well with them. But I guess if you're short on creatures, the Delver is just the creature to get.

I ended up going white-blue with a splash of black for the Dead Weight and Victim of Night. I won against a black-red aggro-ishdeck, but lost in round 2 to a blue-green creation that managed to get Gutter Grime, Essence of the Wild and Stitcher's Apprentice on the field. You can imagine how that ended.

Was there a signal to move into another colour that I totally missed?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Loot Pinata posted:

P3P3 - Agreed.
P3P5 - I didn't mis-click, I had a bunch of Doomed Travellers and the Monk and thought it would work well with them. But I guess if you're short on creatures, the Delver is just the creature to get.

I ended up going white-blue with a splash of black for the Dead Weight and Victim of Night. I won against a black-red aggro-ishdeck, but lost in round 2 to a blue-green creation that managed to get Gutter Grime, Essence of the Wild and Stitcher's Apprentice on the field. You can imagine how that ended.

Was there a signal to move into another colour that I totally missed?

Wait, you're playing 8-4s?

You should be playing Swisses until you get a better handle. You're going to get whooped more often and more easily in 8-4s, so a Swiss is better for your pocket, practice, and self-esteem.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jon Joe posted:

Pack 1, Pick 2: Voiceless Spirit is a better pick by far; it's lower on the curve, in the same color your first pick was, and still a spirit.

I feel like, if you're going to force U/W spirit early, Battleground Geist is the right pick.

I also think that you're getting strong black signals, and I would have started picking it up around pick 3.

e: If it makes you feel any better, packs 2 and 3 were pretty weak and I would have been dismayed with them no matter what I'd drafted in pack 1.

resting bort face fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 5, 2011

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Take this with a grain of salt, since I don't know the format well, but...

It seems to me like your big problem was staying in W. Obviously Monk is great, and you third-picked a white card too (though maybe Silent Departure would have been better?), but by p1p5 or p1p6 it should be obvious that it's just not coming to you. Grab that p6 Unbreathing Horde and p7 Ghoulraiser (and maybe p5 Abattoir Ghoul) and all of a sudden you're in zombie business. Reap or Drownyard p8, another Ghoulcaller and Reap in picks 11 and 12.

It's impossible to say what would have happened, but the gas certainly seems to be there early in packs 2 and 3. I don't know how strong the archetype really is, but it seems like your deck would have been much better.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Loot Pinata posted:

Looked like black was kind of open there. You got passed a victim of night and abattoir ghoul came a few picks later. You aren't getting tricked into anything you just seem to like taking worse cards before better cards and then you start mixing signals by taking off color poo poo randomly.

Don't splash for BB spells, it's too hard on mana. Cards you can splash for are poo poo like grasp of phantasms. You don't need it early and it's a super super powerful card that only requires a 1 off color mana.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Looking back in retrospect, I guess I was trying to force spirits and got too attached. If my picks had gone like:

Geist-Honored Monk
Voiceless Spirit (would it have been too soon to grab the Victim of Night?)
Moan of the Unhallowed or Silent Departure
Dead Weight
Abattoir Ghoul
Unbreathing Horde
Ghoulraiser
Altar's Reap

I feel like I'd have been in a better position.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

decided to try my luck at the late PTQ tonight, lost the first match 1-2. My deck is fine, I just couldn't draw more than 2 lands in an opening hand despite a mulligan each game. I think I just need to stop playing MTGO for a while.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Pyrolocutus posted:

Speaking of Heretic's Punishment, I saw a game in another draft pod at FNM in which a guy lost to decking himself with Heretic's Punishment. He could have won if he had his Geistflame...but it was the last card in his deck. (The other guy had a Trepanation Blade ready to go on a Doomed Traveler or its spirit token, and the Blade would have ended up milling the Geistflame. The Punishment guy couldn't have Punishmented the Geistflame and flashed it back, because that would have led to him being decked on his upkeep anyways, the way it worked out).

I think you guys missed a play then. You don't actually die until you have to draw the card, and Geistflame is Instant. If the Punishment puts the opponent at 1 and you untap with 0 cards in library, you can still flash back the Geistflame on your upkeep to win the game.

I actually hosed up during the prerelease because I boarded out Geistflame instead of Rolling Temblor against a green deck that had very few targets for either. The exact play came up, where I could have milled myself out and Punishmented him down to 1, then untap and kill with Geistflame on upkeep, except I had boarded it out. I knew at 2 cards left in my library that I had made the mistake, too, because I looked at what was in my graveyard and realized he was at 4 and I had 2 3's left in my library.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Loot Pinata posted:

Looking back in retrospect, I guess I was trying to force spirits and got too attached. If my picks had gone like:

Geist-Honored Monk
Voiceless Spirit (would it have been too soon to grab the Victim of Night?)
Moan of the Unhallowed or Silent Departure
Dead Weight
Abattoir Ghoul
Unbreathing Horde
Ghoulraiser
Altar's Reap

I feel like I'd have been in a better position.

Yup. Basically, if you ever get to the end of a draft going "why the heck didn't I get enough good cards in my color?!" then someone messed up. Occasionally it was the player next to you (I once had an M12 draft where I had 3 Chandra's Outrage in my first 5 picks, but the dude on my left forced R because of a second-pick Goblin Chieftan and the dude on my right got scared of my deck and started hatedrafting red), but usually it's you. But it happens to all of us from time to time; just gotta keep making it happen to you less.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 5, 2011

yo5ty
Jun 12, 2007
I had a funny match win on Friday Night Magic today, and I wanted to check here to make sure we got the rules correct on this one.

I was playing a Burning Vengeance Red/Blue deck for INN draft, I had 2 cards left in my deck and my opponent was at 4 health. I had 2 Burning Vengeance out. On my turn I draw the 2nd to last card, a think twice, which I cased to have 0 cards left, and flashed back for the final 4 damage. Everyone in the store came to the conclusion the 4 damage resolved before the card would be drawn, so I was given the win for that match. Was this the correct out come? Either way it was a pretty hilarious way to end a game.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

yo5ty posted:

I had a funny match win on Friday Night Magic today, and I wanted to check here to make sure we got the rules correct on this one.

I was playing a Burning Vengeance Red/Blue deck for INN draft, I had 2 cards left in my deck and my opponent was at 4 health. I had 2 Burning Vengeance out. On my turn I draw the 2nd to last card, a think twice, which I cased to have 0 cards left, and flashed back for the final 4 damage. Everyone in the store came to the conclusion the 4 damage resolved before the card would be drawn, so I was given the win for that match. Was this the correct out come? Either way it was a pretty hilarious way to end a game.

This is correct. When you flashed back Think Twice, your Burning Vengeances triggered and went on top of it on the stack. They both resolved, putting your opponent at 0 life. He then lost the game as a state-based effect while Think Twice remained on the stack, waiting to make you lose.

yo5ty
Jun 12, 2007

Mornacale posted:

This is correct. When you flashed back Think Twice, your Burning Vengeances triggered and went on top of it on the stack. They both resolved, putting your opponent at 0 life. He then lost the game as a state-based effect while Think Twice remained on the stack, waiting to make you lose.

Yeah that is how it was explained to me at the time too. I wasn't 100% sure of the play at the moment I had played it, as I am still mastering the various timing rules of Magic, but it was my most playable move so I had to give it a shot.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

yo5ty posted:

Yeah that is how it was explained to me at the time too. I wasn't 100% sure of the play at the moment I had played it, as I am still mastering the various timing rules of Magic, but it was my most playable move so I had to give it a shot.

Well, I'm glad you tried it. :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Speaking of rules, if two of my Master Thiefs (played consecutive turns) target the same opponent owned artifact, do I maintain control of it until I lose both of them (they died in consecutive turns as well)?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of rules, if two of my Master Thiefs (played consecutive turns) target the same opponent owned artifact, do I maintain control of it until I lose both of them (they died in consecutive turns as well)?

Yes.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Ultima66 posted:

I think you guys missed a play then. You don't actually die until you have to draw the card, and Geistflame is Instant. If the Punishment puts the opponent at 1 and you untap with 0 cards in library, you can still flash back the Geistflame on your upkeep to win the game.

I actually hosed up during the prerelease because I boarded out Geistflame instead of Rolling Temblor against a green deck that had very few targets for either. The exact play came up, where I could have milled myself out and Punishmented him down to 1, then untap and kill with Geistflame on upkeep, except I had boarded it out. I knew at 2 cards left in my library that I had made the mistake, too, because I looked at what was in my graveyard and realized he was at 4 and I had 2 3's left in my library.

The non-Punishment guy was at 6 life with the vig griffon, a Mausoleum Guard, and two spirit tokens coming at him, with a Doomed Traveler + Blade on the board and the Geistflame as the only card in Punishment-guy's library. He blocked the Guard with his Traveler and Brimstone Volleyed the griffon, dropping to four life. If the Punishment guy had Punished the Traveler then flashbacked the Geistflame, non-guy would have taken four from the tokens/Guard, dropped to two (and the Geistflame is now gone, so can't be killed with it), and Punishment-guy decks himself on his next turn. If he didn't go through the steps, the Geistflame gets milled by Trep Blade and he gets decked on his next turn.

Maybe I'm missing something, but there's no way that the Punishment guy could have won given what he had.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Finally had enough people to do a ISD draft, my first crack at limited.
Ended up starting out strong in white and figured to be W/G after getting a Daybreak Ranger. Then Brimstone Volleys started coming to me. Then all the other good red morbid cards.

I ended up with a weird fliers/red morbid card deck with an absurd amount of removal and a lot of value creatures. Ended up winning on the strength of my removal plus Butcher's Cleaver and mask. Thanks for the tip on mask, it made my dumb ghost tokens major threats, and made Thraban Militia a beast (especially if he had a cleaver in the other hand).

Got a sixth Snapcaster Mage in my prize packs too.

I did want to ask what are the archetypes for red? No one seemed to want anything to do with it and I just ended up shoehorning good red cards into my deck.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 5, 2011

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Pyrolocutus posted:

The non-Punishment guy was at 6 life with the vig griffon, a Mausoleum Guard, and two spirit tokens coming at him, with a Doomed Traveler + Blade on the board and the Geistflame as the only card in Punishment-guy's library. He blocked the Guard with his Traveler and Brimstone Volleyed the griffon, dropping to four life. If the Punishment guy had Punished the Traveler then flashbacked the Geistflame, non-guy would have taken four from the tokens/Guard, dropped to two (and the Geistflame is now gone, so can't be killed with it), and Punishment-guy decks himself on his next turn. If he didn't go through the steps, the Geistflame gets milled by Trep Blade and he gets decked on his next turn.

Maybe I'm missing something, but there's no way that the Punishment guy could have won given what he had.

I don't feel like trying to figure out the life totals and such, but you can cast an instant on your upkeep after you untap, but before you draw. You do not draw during your upkeep, that's the draw phase, which is after upkeep.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

subx posted:

I don't feel like trying to figure out the life totals and such, but you can cast an instant on your upkeep after you untap, but before you draw. You do not draw during your upkeep, that's the draw phase, which is after upkeep.

Non-Punishment:

At 6 life

2/2 griffin
2/2 Mausoleum Guard
2 1/1 Spirits coming at him

6 damage total

Blocks Guard with Doomed Traveler (4 damage still not taken care of)
Volleys griffin (2 damage not taken care of)
Takes 2 damage from tokens
At 4 life post-combat
Has 1/1 Spirit token on board

If the Punishment guy had flipped the Geistflame into his GY with Punishment to kill Traveler, then flashed to back to kill token, he still would have only gotten through for four and left the non-guy at 2 life, then decked himself during his next turn.

If he did nothing, the other guy would have equipped Trep Blade, milled the Giestflame, then the Punishment guy would have been left with only one damage (flashbacked Flame) vs four life.

If the Punishment guy had Punished non-guy directly then flashbacked Geistflame, he would have left the non-guy at 2 life.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Snacksmaniac posted:

I did want to ask what are the archetypes for red? No one seemed to want anything to do with it and I just ended up shoehorning good red cards into my deck.

R/G werewolves, R/B vampires, R/U Burning Vengeance, R/W aggro with Rally the Peasants. Yes, those are all actual real archetypes, although some work better than others (I don't think vampires is very good.)

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Thanks Ash. I didn't get any Rallys but I think it would have helped.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I draft 4 Shocks, Incinerate, Consume Spirit, 2 Volcanic Dragons, Chandra's Outrage, Sengir Vampire -- and lose 0-2 in the first round. I AM PUTTING ON MY CRANKY PANTS.

Mr McDefault
Jan 25, 2006
Damn custom characters!
16 lands or am I screwed?

http://tinypic.com/r/260fo8z/5

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mr McDefault posted:

Pike out, in my opinion. You're playing too many enchantments and artifacts for the Pike to shine.

Mr McDefault
Jan 25, 2006
Damn custom characters!
Yeah, but I kind of want the first strike... ok, yeah. Boarding out haha

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Mr McDefault posted:

You're going to have a solid consistent early game :stare:

Big Sal Graziano
May 10, 2011

by Ozmaugh
So overall is everyone happy with Innistrad and limited? Because I love it.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
I think it's the most fun I've had drafting since the time block

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
whats the best bot for selling older boosters to? I have some urza block packs I want to offload so I can draft som innistrad but I'm not quite sure how much I can get for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=30408

Critique please? I'm particularly curious what people take out of the first pack here, since it's pretty blah.