Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Sumixam posted:

Players should be required to pass a test and get a hockey license before being allowed to play in competitive leagues. I'm always amazed by how many people spend money to play hockey in beer leagues but absolutely refuse to even attempt to learn the most basic skills of the game. Hockey really suffers when people ignore the basics and refuse to learn.

The most truthful of truths. Living out here in northern California I can definitely tell who started here and has never been on a competitive coached team (hint it's most people). And our rink even has a "Learn to Play" program for adults that I assume teaches fundamentals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Topoisomerase posted:

And our rink even has a "Learn to Play" program for adults that I assume teaches fundamentals.

If it's anything like my adult learn to play, it's more like herding cows. They do demonstrate the fundamentals and set up drills to exercise them, but there is absolutely no 1 on 1 instruction going on. If you start with bad technique, you're probably going to end with bad technique.

It's entirely up to the student to figure the details out.. which why I try to ask so many questions here.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

If it's anything like my adult learn to play, it's more like herding cows. They do demonstrate the fundamentals and set up drills to exercise them, but there is absolutely no 1 on 1 instruction going on. If you start with bad technique, you're probably going to end with bad technique.

It's entirely up to the student to figure the details out.. which why I try to ask so many questions here.

The questions are good for me too, I hardly remember learning to skate or shoot, and answering questions make me think about how to do it properly, kinda revisiting old lessons.

ALMIGHTYSTRIKE
Nov 3, 2011

I mean, I'm no, I can't.. I'm a little man, I'm a little man, he's, he's a great man. I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas... I mean
How fast do the NHL players skate ? I never thought about that ? seeing someguy skate then check another player up on the wall weight and speed must play in there somewhere ? how fast do they normal go in mph ?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

I see. Things like this are useful to know - my women's team is running an all women's skills clinic and our coach/instructor is doing a pretty good job with emphasizing technique over speed in things like skating and shooting, even without real ONE ON ONE instruction for everyone.

It's not players like you guys who ask questions here and actually try to drill down on the fundamentals that are the problem anyway. ;)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ALMIGHTYSTRIKE posted:

How fast do the NHL players skate ? I never thought about that ? seeing someguy skate then check another player up on the wall weight and speed must play in there somewhere ? how fast do they normal go in mph ?

I've never seen a MPH estimate, but I'd call their top speed "pretty loving fast".

I've seen college guys do drills, and they can go from goal line to goal line in just a few seconds when they have the space to skate at full tilt.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The thing that's crazy about NHLers is their acceleration. They can go from a dead stop to full speed in about 3 strides, which is absolutely nuts. It's all about economy of motion.

xzzy posted:

My shoe size is 9, and I'm currently wearing Easton skates, size 8 EE. I have a pair of 8.5 E Reeboks I wore for a while, which were punched and stretched, and I still had pain issues.

As stated before, I've learned to work with my feet issues and can skate for 90 minutes without significant problems.. but this conversation has me thinking I need to revisit it, if it turns out my skate lacing is limiting my development.

Based on the normal rule-of-thumb, I would have figured you for a size 7 skate. Is your foot really that wide, or do you just have high arches so your foot splays out when there's no support?

At this point I'd probably just visit a podiatrist and shell out the $300 or so for orthotics. Ain't nothin' in the world worth foot pain (I've got two pair, though I don't skate with 'em). Hopefully you'll get it figured out. A pro might get you there faster.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 4, 2011

Mr. Chupon
Nov 4, 2006

Wait, am I doing this right?
Does everyone else have a go-to move on breakaways? I was thinking about this reading the Fransie awards on the Backhand Shelf blog.

Backhand Shelf is what I aim for 99% of the time unless there's a hole too big not to shoot at or I'm coming in at a bad angle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I do have pretty wide feet.. my foot width doesn't grow much between measuring with no weight, and putting my full weight down.

My toes barely brush the tip of the toe cap, so I think a size 8 is correct for me.

I would love to find a 'pro' skate fitter and chat with him, even if it costs me money for the time. But I've had a hell of a time trying to find anyone that qualifies or is available.

(which is why someday I want to go visit MLX and see what they have to say, since they're reportedly foot experts. I'm going to Las Vegas next month, but probably won't have the time to visit them)

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
best way to judge skate size is to put the skate on loose, then tap your toe so your foot slides all the way forward, and you can see the gap behind your heel, anything less then a fingers width should be alright, its a lot easier to judge that way then to try and guess where your toes are.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

A quick google search for boot fitters and orthos in Chicago pulls up this thread on TGR (ski site, but some of it translates). They recommend this doctor (LinkeIn profile mentions hockey skates).

Anyway, good luck. I'd see a doctor, though. Most hockey shop guys just aren't going to be able to solve problems having to do with biomechanics. I used to think I had wide feet until I visited a podiatrist, who told me I had C width feet, but a super high arch.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

After my previous posts the only other thing I can think of that would cause lace bite is that the skate just isnt deep enough for you. But you've tried on a ton of skates so I dunno. Sucks man, wish there was a solution out there for you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I'll sort it out eventually.

It does amaze me that the entire Chicago metropolitan area seems to only have one footwear expert. I've been to a podiatrist, and he was all "dunno man, your foot looks good to me!" :downs:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Have you tried ModSquadHockey? They are pretty spergy about everything and the guy that runs it used to do equipment for NHL teams. He's pretty serious.

I found a great LA based pro shop on their site, maybe there's a highly recommended Chicago place they can refer you to. Or maybe they'll know something else to try with your skates to help fix the problem.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

sellouts posted:

Have you tried ModSquadHockey? They are pretty spergy about everything and the guy that runs it used to do equipment for NHL teams. He's pretty serious.
He's also kind of a giant douchebag so while he may know some of what he's talking about, he also likes to bullshit a lot.

I know this because I've seen him BS online and also whenever he works at the local pro-shop here in Orlando.

Oh and he's not that good at hockey at all yet bitches about any little touch against him as a penalty. It's awesome to watch.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Awesome

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mr. Chupon posted:

Does everyone else have a go-to move on breakaways? I was thinking about this reading the Fransie awards on the Backhand Shelf blog.

Backhand Shelf is what I aim for 99% of the time unless there's a hole too big not to shoot at or I'm coming in at a bad angle.

I just spent an hour at work watching Pavel Datsyuk shootout/breakaway goals on Youtube. Thank you, good sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkmqJHANjgk

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I just spent an hour at work watching Pavel Datsyuk shootout/breakaway goals on Youtube. Thank you, good sir.

He makes them look so easy :allears:

Mr. Chupon
Nov 4, 2006

Wait, am I doing this right?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You're welcome but you didn't answer my question :smith:

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Mr. Chupon posted:

It all depends on my angle. But if I usually aim for either a crossbody backhand like the one Parise usually does (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7ax6fIv9yk) or take the opposite line with my skates and do it forehand.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mr. Chupon posted:

If I don't have a trailing D-man all up on me, I usually pull back and fake a forehand shot, pull it to my back hand at the last second and try to shelf it. 95% of the time I end up just pushing the puck into the goalie's pads since my backhand blows I use a pitching wedge blade. :smith:

If I don't have any room, I usually just try to forehand shelf it, or 5-hole it if they give me enough open space.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 4, 2011

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I haven't had a breakaway in forever, playing D sucks :( I used to get them all the time off the old "rush the point, block shot into the neutral zone, off to the races" play. Most of the time I would do forehand to backhand while kind of cutting across.

If I ever get a clear break again I'm going to try something fancy and probably gently caress it up. I really want to try the Omark/Datsyuk flip, I think it would work fantastically against beer league goalies.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

real_scud posted:

He's also kind of a giant douchebag so while he may know some of what he's talking about, he also likes to bullshit a lot.

I know this because I've seen him BS online and also whenever he works at the local pro-shop here in Orlando.

Oh and he's not that good at hockey at all yet bitches about any little touch against him as a penalty. It's awesome to watch.

I hate him as much as you can hate someone online, dude is a douche

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I played D my whole life, so I'm usually lost on breakaways. Most of the time I just try to beat the goalie stick side but am not the greatest at disguising my shot in stride so I don't have much luck. That or I do the ol' forehand-backhand-forehand-backhand that never always works!

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Mr. Chupon posted:

Fake shot, deke, five hole. This move is especially deadly in roller hockey where goalies can't slide side to side. You want to sell that you're going to deke them wide and then tuck it in five hole once it opens up. It's all about timing and looks like the cheekiest goal ever when you pull it off. Another good thing about this versus pulling it wide is that you're never going to gently caress it up and miss the net - you'll always get the shot off. Until you can pull the backhand shelf deke off with Burrows-life consistency, this is a sick move to master. This really should be in every beer-leaguer's repertoire as it requires very little shooting power, accuracy or speed. It's all about timing and patience. A guy on my Div 1 team that led the league in scoring uses this move all the time, especially coming in from bad angles, and he has one of the best wrists shots in the league. He does this on EVERY breakaway, the goalies always know its coming and they still can't stop it. If they try to cheat five hole at all, it just leaves a wide open net far side. It's automatic for him. Once you figure it out it feels almost too easy.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Gio posted:

I played D my whole life, so I'm usually lost on breakaways. Most of the time I just try to beat the goalie stick side but am not the greatest at disguising my shot in stride so I don't have much luck. That or I do the ol' forehand-backhand-forehand-backhand that never always works!

NHL '98 move, yo.

Come in wide on your off wing, then cut across hard in front of the crease and stick the puck five-hole as the goalie opens up to move with you.

Variations include carrying the puck all the way across the net and roofing it if the goalie is slow side-to-side, or the always awesome (but hard to execute) one handed slip-in on the back door.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

poser posted:

I hate him as much as you can hate someone online, dude is a douche
If it makes you feel better last time our team played a team he was on we won about 10-1 and I think he bitched the entire time about various "illegal" things we did.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Coincidentally I had 7 breakaways or clean 1 on 0's in my game tonight. Thought I'd share my trip report.

- coming from my off wing, I cut to my forehand and shot back across the short side and hit the post
- took a pass in the slot, pulled it backhand, hit the post
- clean breakaway, forehand backhand, five hole, goal. Didn't try to fake the shot, just tried to make the move as quick as possible
- clean breakaway, pucks starts rolling, shoot high glove, goal
- join a one on on late, get the pass, quick shot five hole, goal
- two on one, went through the defender and then felt bad that I hadn't passed the puck so after dekeing backhand I drop passed the puck right into my linemate's feet, no goal. Weird play, should have just shot.
- tried the forehand backhand five hole move and the goalie stopped it

My teammates bug me that I'll get ten breakaways a game and only score once or twice, which is usually pretty true but I'm starting to get the hang of it. This is my first season playing forward and as a defenseman you maybe get one or two chances like that a game and if you miss you think about it all week. As a forward, getting them so often, I'm a lot calmer now and I think I'm making better plays.

This is the most fun I've had playing hockey in a long time, don't know I've been suckered into playing D all these years!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

dms666 posted:

Yeah playing at an NHL rink is pretty amazing, the ice is so perfect, dont pass it up if you can get the teams to do it.

Doing it November 17th :toot:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
I do this and it seems to work.. Pull the goalie over as far as you can and just "glide" the puck in with your backhand

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Decided to go skate at Staples Center before the Kings/Pens game today. Pretty stoked.

Edit: yeah, that owned. Best ice I've ever skated on. So perfect.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 6, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bigmike posted:

This is the most fun I've had playing hockey in a long time, don't know I've been suckered into playing D all these years!

Defense is an important position and you have to make sure that the other team doesn't score first and then you can score because the best offense is a good defense I hate you :smith:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I got tripped on a breakaway tonight and went head-first into the boards.

Ow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Defense is an important position and you have to make sure that the other team doesn't score first and then you can score because the best offense is a good defense I hate you :smith:

This is why I've always been defense in any sport I've ever played. I love frustrating glory-hungry offensive players.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I love playing D. I love shutting other guys down, winning battles in the corners, and moving the puck up ice. Plus it's less skating, good for the lazy.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
Speaking of playing D.. my friend's daughter started playing but she wont play d/backcheck because its not her puck and she has been taught to share:3: How can they let her know its OK to take peoples stuff in hockey but not in other situations..

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Gio posted:

I love playing D. I love shutting other guys down, winning battles in the corners, and moving the puck up ice. Plus it's less skating, good for the lazy.
I never understand how guys like Duncan Keith aren't totally gassed with the minutes they play. Jumping up to lead a rush as a D-man is loving TIRING.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Robo-Pope posted:

I never understand how guys like Duncan Keith aren't totally gassed with the minutes they play. Jumping up to lead a rush as a D-man is loving TIRING.

Dunc is apparently some kind of genetic freak with inhuman lung capacity.. so I guess in his case, he's just better at getting oxygen to his muscles and it enables him to keep going.

I know what you mean though. Obviously I'm not an NHL athlete, but 40 minutes of scrimmage and I am loving done, regardless of how much time I get on the bench. That these guys can do it 3-4 times a week for 7 months out of the year is ridiculous.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Some of the AAA/high school tournaments require late-teens kids to play 3-4 games per day, if they get shafted on the schedule. A buddy of mine was a AAA goalie 9-10 years ago and even though he's still only 26-27 right now and in pretty good shape, swears he could never do anything like that ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the other hand, If I managed to survive 3 games a day, I'd have monster legs and zero body fat in just a few months.

I wonder if I'd even enjoy hockey anymore if I had to play it that much.