Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain
Then stop dying so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Himuro posted:

That's really bad logic. I enjoy driving in GTA, but I don't want to drive 10 minutes out of my way to start a mission, or worse -- die, start over again, have to drive there all over again. This doesn't mean I don't like driving in GTA, it means I don't like mindless tedium.

Then hopefully there's both convenient checkpointing in missions, better mission designs that don't make you do tedious things, easy fast travel, and also a nice expansive map to explore. Believe it or not, but all of these things can indeed be in the same game! You said it yourself, Just Cause 2 wasn't much of a pain and it was massive. I don't want GTA 5 to be Just Cause 2 big. Maybe a little bigger than GTA 4 due to the surrounding countryside, but is that really too big? I like the exploration aspects, and if they can keep the same level of detail over a wider area, I'm all for that.

MaliceMolaka
Jan 23, 2005

Welcome to Sensimilla Street.

Himuro posted:

That's really bad logic. I enjoy driving in GTA, but I don't want to drive 10 minutes out of my way to start a mission, or worse -- die, start over again, have to drive there all over again. This doesn't mean I don't like driving in GTA, it means I don't like mindless tedium.

How is it driving out of your way if you have to drive there to start the mission?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Just started a new file of SA. The heat-wave effect in the video is kinda jarring.

Edit: Ha! I forgot the camera zoomed in on pedestrians when you go idle. It zoomed in on a prostitute as she was being hit by a car.

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 5, 2011

VanV
May 13, 2004

Not this year.
More info that is probably total bullshit, source is from GTAforums.com once again:

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/3553/article/rumor-exclusive-gta-5-info-leaked-by-rogue-games-journalist/

Edit: This 'games journalist' doesn't have very good grammar so again I don't really believe this or expect anyone else here to either, but I saw someone else post another rumor thingy from those forums so I figured it was okay!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Rogue Games Journalist posted:

5: There are planes to pilot and they can be crashed into buildings if you choose to do so....

We forgot. :911:

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

VanV posted:

More info that is probably total bullshit, source is from GTAforums.com once again:

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/3553/article/rumor-exclusive-gta-5-info-leaked-by-rogue-games-journalist/

Edit: This 'games journalist' doesn't have very good grammar so again I don't really believe this or expect anyone else here to either, but I saw someone else post another rumor thingy from those forums so I figured it was okay!

Probably bullshit, and to be fair, anyone could have guessed/made that info up. But then again, who knows?

Firstly this person can't spell very well for a journalist, and secondly he'd never be invited back to a games studio again as I'm sure R* would keep tight tabs on anyone that visited and leaking this much stuff would get you blacklisted.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

MZ posted:

Probably bullshit, and to be fair, anyone could have guessed/made that info up. But then again, who knows?

Firstly this person can't spell very well for a journalist, and secondly he'd never be invited back to a games studio again as I'm sure R* would keep tight tabs on anyone that visited and leaking this much stuff would get you blacklisted.

Well, he never actually claimed to be a journalist, just someone who worked for the magazine. He also said that he never got to see the game, all that info was just relayed from a coworker. The weirdly specific stuff he talked about (like shooting a trail of leaking gasoline) makes it a bit more believable.

Ah who am I kidding, There's a 99% chance that it was all made up. I love pre-GTA speculation! I really do hope that Rockstar is already showing this game to the media already, though. We still have no idea how close this is to completion.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the RPG elements and weight gain sound like bullshit. In fact, I'd actually be surprised if we get to buy/customize specific clothing items. I'm expecting the multiple preset outfits that we saw in Gay Tony and RDR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As long as I can upgrade cars, I don't give a poo poo.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Toothy posted:

I felt like multiplayer in IV was never quite as fun as the good times I had with a bunch of goons on MTA back in the day.

User-created maps were the best. Boatse, oj chase, pushover nitro, joust gold, kill jack thompson... :pcgaming: And those were just elaborate races!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRaMibOUWp0
Oh man, I remember play O.J. mode on some goon server back in the day and that was probably the most fun I ever had in a multiplayer game. I think it was that same server too. The UI didn't look as good as that though, and there was no pink broncos either.

MaliceMolaka
Jan 23, 2005

Welcome to Sensimilla Street.
Seems Rockstar has been leaning away from character customization in favor of character development which is fine by me. I enjoy the characters and story of a game like Red Dead and IV as much as any book or movie.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I just hope they let me put glasses on the character. That was one of my favorite ways of making Niko a bit more of my character rather than just a character, with those big, stupid-looking not-quite-Aviators.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

MaliceMolaka posted:

How is it driving out of your way if you have to drive there to start the mission?

This is giving me flashbacks to the Catalina missions and having to drive up that same loving hill four times just to keep going.

SR3 looks to have a feature where instead of having to drive to a mission marker, you just pull it up on your phone and the mission starts right up. I'd love to have something like that in GTA5, where you just call up your contact and he sets you up with the next story mission instead of having to drive halfway across town just to have a mission that makes you drive all the way back.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

JDanielS posted:

I just hope they let me put glasses on the character. That was one of my favorite ways of making Niko a bit more of my character rather than just a character, with those big, stupid-looking not-quite-Aviators.

I have a feeling that we're gonna get quite a bit of ways to spend money. I believe Rockstar themselves have said this game's plot is about chasing the almighty dollar and it would be quite foolish to have nothing to spend that money on. I'm guessing we'll get clothes, glasses, cars, houses and loads of other crap to buy.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Tumble posted:

I have a feeling that we're gonna get quite a bit of ways to spend money. I believe Rockstar themselves have said this game's plot is about chasing the almighty dollar and it would be quite foolish to have nothing to spend that money on. I'm guessing we'll get clothes, glasses, cars, houses and loads of other crap to buy.

I really loving hope so, but I don't want to build up expectations of being a less-than-legal business mogul, though that's exactly what I want to have appear.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

JDanielS posted:

I really loving hope so, but I don't want to build up expectations of being a less-than-legal business mogul, though that's exactly what I want to have appear.

Same here. My favorite GTA game was Vice City, because even though the representation of the illicit businesses were pretty darned abstract (Kill a ton of people and receive MONEY PRINTING BUILDING!!!) I loved the concept behind it. I want that drug dealing minigame from Chinatown Wars on a much larger scale.

Imagine how much fun it would be to actually have to launder the money? You have $100k in legal, taxed tender and another $600k in illegal money? Buy a bar! Now you can launder money at a rate of say, $50k a month. Want to launder more? Buy another business!

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
I really want to see a good use for money other than guns and ammo. I'm replaying 4 and I like the missions and understand Niko's quest to find someone...but he also says he loves money and he'll do anything for money, but there's nothing that makes me want to earn money. Let me buy things!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So I have the PC three pack version of Vice City and never unlocked the Cuban and Haitian mission sets. Just never got the calls. Were they removed or something or did they only happen after you beat that stupid RC helicopter mission I was never able to?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

So I have the PC three pack version of Vice City and never unlocked the Cuban and Haitian mission sets. Just never got the calls. Were they removed or something or did they only happen after you beat that stupid RC helicopter mission I was never able to?

Yes you have to do the final Avery mission to unlock the Cuban/Haitian missions. Come on now, the helicopter mission isn't hard, just take your time and ignore the construction workers.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
You can also kill the workers with the copter rotor.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Yeah, just hack them all up with the blades first, then go get the bombs and it's a breeze. The timer won't start until you pick up the first one IIRC.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MaliceMolaka posted:

What I'm trying to get across is that the game has been and always will be centered around driving. If you don't have the patience to drive to and from your various objectives and enjoy the laboriously crafted world around you then perhaps a game with nonstop and instantly gratifying action would be more suitable.
That said we are all going to buy this game and love it, even if it were set in Bradshaw, West Virginia

driving around and enjoying the city is fine, if I feel like that, but there needs to be an alternative, otherwise you're just forcing tedium on the player.
Not to mention, it would be nice if more missions started closer to where the action takes place. If I'm going to have to listen to a character as annoying as Morrie loving Klebbitz (seriously, gently caress that guy so hard) can it be for 30 seconds instead of 5 minutes? Don't start with "well, if you can't pay attention for five minutes...something, something...ADD" it's five minutes of doing nothing but driving normally while an unbelievably annoying character screeches at me. Most of the time it's just tedious, but with a couple of the characters it was actually unpleasant.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Because of the trailer I decided to pick up GTA IV The complete collection, only $37 at my local walmart. Never could get it to play right on my computer and Ive finally got a 360 (with a backlog of games to play longer than ron jeremy).

One question, do all phone cheats that spawn vehicles, heal you, etc disable achievements? Just dont wanna dick around for a while then end up doing a mission and saving.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

Snowman_McK posted:

driving around and enjoying the city is fine, if I feel like that, but there needs to be an alternative, otherwise you're just forcing tedium on the player.
Not to mention, it would be nice if more missions started closer to where the action takes place. If I'm going to have to listen to a character as annoying as Morrie loving Klebbitz (seriously, gently caress that guy so hard) can it be for 30 seconds instead of 5 minutes? Don't start with "well, if you can't pay attention for five minutes...something, something...ADD" it's five minutes of doing nothing but driving normally while an unbelievably annoying character screeches at me. Most of the time it's just tedious, but with a couple of the characters it was actually unpleasant.

I remember the first time I hung out with Roman he loving talked the whole time my favorite Liberty Rock song was on (1979) and I realized if you shoot out the window he stops talking, and resumes the beginning of the line after a few seconds ad infinitum. But I'm pretty sure this issue was tackled in a pretty big way with GTAIV. The mission checkpoints were substantially better than previous games, and usually respawns you pretty close to the bad guy that killed you. Of course, if you were doing the initial drive (say the bank heist mission) that's fairly long and get killed on the way, well that sucks.

But as far as speculating what GTAV will be like, I think RDR is a pretty good model. Despite being an overwhelmingly huge map travelling or saving was never a tedious process, and since they made it pretty loving clear this game has planes, the map has to be MUCH larger than GTAIV. RDR and LA Noire also had an interesting supply of side missions so I imagine it'll have something similar to break up the tedium of the main story a bit.

Yeticopter fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 5, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ExtremeODD posted:

Because of the trailer I decided to pick up GTA IV The complete collection, only $37 at my local walmart. Never could get it to play right on my computer and Ive finally got a 360 (with a backlog of games to play longer than ron jeremy).

One question, do all phone cheats that spawn vehicles, heal you, etc disable achievements? Just dont wanna dick around for a while then end up doing a mission and saving.

They tell you what achievements they block everytime you use them. You'll be able to get those achievements again after you save, turn off the game, and start it up again.

For example "erase wanted level" blocks the "lose your wanted level entirely from 6 stars" achievement until next play session.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Yeticopter posted:

I remember the first time I hung out with Roman he loving talked the whole time my favorite Liberty Rock song was on (1979) and I realized if you shoot out the window he stops talking, and resumes the beginning of the line after a few seconds ad infinitum. But I'm pretty sure this issue was tackled in a pretty big way with GTAIV. The mission checkpoints were substantially better than previous games, and usually respawns you pretty close to the bad guy that killed you. Of course, if you were doing the initial drive (say the bank heist mission) that's fairly long and get killed on the way, well that sucks.

But as far as speculating what GTAV will be like, I think RDR is a pretty good model. Despite being an overwhelmingly huge map travelling or saving was never a tedious process, and since they made it pretty loving clear this game has planes, the map has to be MUCH larger than GTAIV. RDR and LA Noire also had an interesting supply of side missions so I imagine it'll have something similar to break up the tedium of the main story a bit.

I bring up Saints Row 2 a lot (sorry) but it handled this by starting you really close to what was happening. Like, a block or two over, a suburb at most. If you had to go a long way, there would be a challenge to it, like multiple pursuers or a time limit. There were multiple missions even in the vastly improved BOGT that placed the start and the meat of the mission on opposite sides of the city. Again, driving round the city, at my leisure, can be really fun. It's an amazingly detailed city, the driving engine, while tricky to get the hang of, is great in BOGT. The problem is forcing me to do that so I can get to the fun. There's a brilliant analogy in a Cracked article, of all places, that compares throwing cards into a hat while bored to doing it in order to have sex with your girlfriend, and that's what GTA 4 felt like: work.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Coolodile posted:

Yes you have to do the final Avery mission to unlock the Cuban/Haitian missions. Come on now, the helicopter mission isn't hard, just take your time and ignore the construction workers.
He better not give you any RC copter missions since he's in the Other Game.

I hated that mission until I got a pad to sort it out. I also found the one where you have to rescue Lionel Richie from the junkyard was also pretty terrible until I worked out that you could pull a right leaving the yard and hide behind a barrier while all the Comets ground themselves into oblivion against the barrier trying to get at you.

Yeticopter posted:

Yeah, the drive for the final mission (I'm guessing it's the same place for either fork) was also pretty long so I just let myself get killed and made a save to start from the checkpoint. Of course that was also the same mission where you needed to use FRAPS as a frame limiter otherwise you'd fall off the chopper during the QTE bullshit.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

Snowman_McK posted:

I bring up Saints Row 2 a lot (sorry) but it handled this by starting you really close to what was happening. Like, a block or two over, a suburb at most. If you had to go a long way, there would be a challenge to it, like multiple pursuers or a time limit. There were multiple missions even in the vastly improved BOGT that placed the start and the meat of the mission on opposite sides of the city. Again, driving round the city, at my leisure, can be really fun. It's an amazingly detailed city, the driving engine, while tricky to get the hang of, is great in BOGT. The problem is forcing me to do that so I can get to the fun. There's a brilliant analogy in a Cracked article, of all places, that compares throwing cards into a hat while bored to doing it in order to have sex with your girlfriend, and that's what GTA 4 felt like: work.

I think the long drives have a legitimate purpose though, up to a point. As the game's story unfolds you're constantly forced into new unexplored areas of the city you wouldn't ordinarily go if all the missions took place in like, a single neighborhood or borough. And the fact that it's so BIG is what GTA is all about anyway, the story is really just a backdrop to the huge realistic city you drive around and kill people in. But yeah, driving from south Broker to Alderney is a loving chore. The missions themselves could've used less tedious driving, but not a lot less. It's called Grand Theft Auto after all.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Yeticopter posted:

I think the long drives have a legitimate purpose though, up to a point. As the game's story unfolds you're constantly forced into new unexplored areas of the city you wouldn't ordinarily go if all the missions took place in like, a single neighborhood or borough. And the fact that it's so BIG is what GTA is all about anyway, the story is really just a backdrop to the huge realistic city you drive around and kill people in. But yeah, driving from south Broker to Alderney is a loving chore. The missions themselves could've used less tedious driving, but not a lot less. It's called Grand Theft Auto after all.

Grand Theft Auto
Really, there should be no tedious driving, tedious is an inherently negative quality. If the only way you can get people to explore your enormous city is by forcing them to do it, you loving suck at designing games.

VanV
May 13, 2004

Not this year.

wa27 posted:

Well, he never actually claimed to be a journalist, just someone who worked for the magazine. He also said that he never got to see the game, all that info was just relayed from a coworker. The weirdly specific stuff he talked about (like shooting a trail of leaking gasoline) makes it a bit more believable.

Ah who am I kidding, There's a 99% chance that it was all made up. I love pre-GTA speculation! I really do hope that Rockstar is already showing this game to the media already, though. We still have no idea how close this is to completion.

I don't know what it is about GTA speculation but goddamnit if I don't get caught up in it every time a new one comes out. I like other series too, but I don't even come close to caring about them as much as I do when GTA is announced!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Do you people honestly think that Rockstar hasn't learned from base GTA4 after playing TBOGT. And keep in mind that Gay Tony only had 1 safehouse for some silly reason instead of like 5 scattered across the city.
I personally loved driving across the countryside in SA the first 2 playthroughs, sure after that it got boring but driving is fun as long as you have good checkpoints and a fast travel option.

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011

quote:

Cars can be upgraded/repaired and it has been considered to have a car have fuel forcing the player to fill her up.

I don't know why but I really like this idea. Adds a bit of tension to those getaway missions.

Jezrael
May 1, 2005
the bagel is an adequate vessel of nutrition
That fuel one has been speculated for every gta since 3, and I doubt it will make it in this time. I could see maybe adding it in a specific mission just for the hell of it, they did that one before, i.e. that RC plane mission in SA off the top of my head.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Holy poo poo the last thing GTA5 needs is fuel, that's incredibly stupid. Given how disposable cars are, fuel would be pointless since you'd just grab a new one. If they do improve the upgrade/storing system then it'll just be irritating to have to tank up your car.

Mafia 1 had a fuel system for its vehicles but it would take hours of driving to hit empty. If they took that route, then why bother adding it at all?

E: Let's add another system where you have to clean and maintain your guns :v:

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I really hope they don't have a refueling system, that would be retardedly boring.

Gay Tony went some ways to fix some of the issues with GTAIV, you could quickly call up for cars & guns to get dropped off to you, checkpointing was better, they brought some of the mayhem back, etc. I'm sure V will improve things further.

MZ fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 5, 2011

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MZ posted:

I really hope they don't have a refueling system, that would be retardedly boring.

Gay Tony went some ways to fix some of the issues with GTAIV, you could quickly call up for cars & guns to get dropped off to you, checkpointing was better, they brought some of the mayhem back, etc. I'm sure V will improve things further.

At this rate, it'll be as fun as San Andreas in about 4 games.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Songbearer posted:

E: Let's add another system where you have to clean and maintain your guns :v:

I have a friend who would actually love to have that in a game.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yes, yes, all very nice and all but gently caress Liberty, Los Santos, San Fierro and Vice City, I want a GTA set in Carcer City. It's the best place Rockstar ever came up with. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

SimonNotGarfunkel posted:

I don't know why but I really like this idea. Adds a bit of tension to those getaway missions.

Upgrading cars sounds awesome if there's enough visual feedback and it changes the 'feel' enough, but fuel? gently caress that, cars barely ever last longer than 10 minutes in GTA anyway and in every occurrence where a fuel meter was involved it was just annoying.

They really look like they've got the setting down, they just need to make sure the missions aren't for the most part boring shlock like they were in GTAIV. I liked IV as much as SA, but the missions in IV were loving boring. If they meld the atmosphere of VC, the missions and mechanics (barring the crappy rpg elements) of SA, and the tech and attention to detail of IV then it will be the best one yet. As it stands, you can already tell they've got rid of IV's awful brown colour correction, and the graphics definitely look like a step up from IV.

Just please try and release the PC version at the same time. And keep the guys who did the UI and controls for the PC port of IV but fire the gently caress out of whoever did the optimisation. Even a fully patched EFLC floors most modern PCs despite looking a bit wank.

• Locked thread