Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And I think on those you're supposed to wait like 15 minutes after it shuts before opening it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So I intend to make chili pretty soon using this powder I've made but it smells so good I need something reasonably simple I can make for breakfast using it. Any ideas? Its funny, my parents were both very skeptical and thought I was wasting my time until they walked into the kitchen and got hit by the smell

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Mach420 posted:

How big is that cooker? 5 cups? Cooking minimum amounts sometimes does not work out that well on cheap cookers. Try doing 2 cups. That'll give it more time for the water to boil through before it all boils off and it switches to warm mode.

The quality of rice is also suspect. It'll likely be older rice that has been sitting for a while. You'll want a touch more water, like maybe 10-15 percent more, for old rice.

If it keeps giving bad results, hop down to your local Asian grocery and try some of that, or see if your regular grocery carries a real Asian brand of rice.

I still think it's the cooker though.

The rice is from my local Walmart, which probably has a lot of turnover, so the rice is fresh. I've been trying to cook one cup of rice in this 6 cup cooker. I'll try cooking two, and seeing if that works.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

That said, I've never tried a recipe that calls for aging, so I'm totally trying that one you linked. Thanks!

Aged egg nog is awesome. Although, I tend to not add cognac and swap in an equal amount of rye instead. Gives it a bit of kick to cut through the cloying nature of the beverage.

Oh, and I aged a gallon for six months and cracked it open, ice cold, on a sweltering summer day. It was awesome. I really love this nog recipe.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Chard posted:

What type of pans do you use?

A mixture of cast iron and stainless. Mostly stainless though. No nonstick if that's what you're wondering.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I use almost entirely bamboo, since it's cheap and tough and does the job well. Some ladels and such are in stainless, and I have a bunch of monkeywood utensils that are indestructable.

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind.

Jose posted:

So I intend to make chili pretty soon using this powder I've made but it smells so good I need something reasonably simple I can make for breakfast using it. Any ideas? Its funny, my parents were both very skeptical and thought I was wasting my time until they walked into the kitchen and got hit by the smell

Ooh, I can answer this. Omelets or just scrambled eggs. Or try mixing it in when you make some cornbread. Beyond that you could get more adventurous and lightly dust some cutup mango or other tropical fruits.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 5, 2011

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I botched the gently caress out of my lasagna tonight. Insufficient quantities of ingredients, mostly. But it came out very tasty anyway, so I guess that's okay.

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?
I just ordered my Thanksgiving turkey (a Heritage this year; I'm excited) from my local butcher. Unfortunately, I'm having a small Thanksgiving (4 people) and I've got a 16lb bird coming. I love leftovers but I think that I may have a bit more than I can handle.

So my question is, can I freeze some of the cooked meat? I know the texture will be ruined, but I'm wondering if I could use it for soup. Worst comes to worst I just have very flavorful stock-making ingredients, but I'm hoping someone has an idea for me.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Probably better to make the soup and then freeze it, then the texture won't be so wonky. The meat will last a couple days in the fridge post food-coma, so you don't have to worry about soup until Saturday or Sunday.

OCCUPY GWS

BREAK THE MOD HEGEMONY

YEAH DOG fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 5, 2011

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I've got a bunch of pork spareribs I need to use up. I'm a little bbq'd out, and I'd like something that I can throw in the crockpot all day on Sunday while I wrench on cars. Any ideas?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MasterFugu posted:

also, lactose is a sugar, so stuff being sweeter because it's removed.... I don't even know how you arrived at that :psyduck:

According to the interweb, the process that removes lactose turns it into sucrose so the milk ends up tasting sweet. It explains the sweetness and the popularity of milk in a country of lactose intolerant people. I wouldn't put it past Koreans to just dump corn syrup into milk but it makes a bit more sense than that.

I figured the flavor came from the eggs and spices and the wrong cream caused the texture problem, but I don't know anything about making egg nog. Hence, why I asked questions. And yeah I obviously hosed up my translation of heavy cream.

On the up the milkfat front, would something like 1 1/2 cup of my 2%? milk and 1/2 cup of regular cream instead of 2 cups of whole milk work? Too much? No such thing as too much with nog?

Edit: Actually after sitting overnight it's tasting a lot better. Still not quite right but it's something I can work with. I'll experiment.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 5, 2011

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've got a bunch of pork spareribs I need to use up. I'm a little bbq'd out, and I'd like something that I can throw in the crockpot all day on Sunday while I wrench on cars. Any ideas?

Sear em off and then let em do their thing in the pot with some sauerkraut and a bottle of beer all day. Maybe a handful of caraway and some peppercorns.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That's a pretty good idea. I hadn't thought of a German route. Hmm, with fried potatoes on the side? Yes, this could certainly work!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Casu Marzu posted:

Sear em off and then let em do their thing in the pot with some sauerkraut and a bottle of beer all day. Maybe a handful of caraway and some peppercorns.

Ditch the caraway and go with celery seed. Make sure to add salt, black pepper, and a good amount of paprika.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Foil packet in the oven with honey, minced garlic & ginger, a splash of dark soy sauce, some fresh red chilli & shao hsing wing. Fermented black beans too if you've got them.
Steam in the oven for a few hours then finish them under the griller (salamander/whatever it's called in the us).
Rice + stir fried greens.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Is it cool if I add beef broth in addition to water, into my crock pot while making pulled pork? This recipe (http://genxfinance.com/crock-pot-bbq-pulled-pork-recipe-for-under-15-easy-and-frugal/) doesn't call for it, but last time I made a meal like this I used it and it came out tasting great.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

particle409 posted:

The rice is from my local Walmart, which probably has a lot of turnover, so the rice is fresh. I've been trying to cook one cup of rice in this 6 cup cooker. I'll try cooking two, and seeing if that works.

Old rice is fine as long as the water amount is adjusted for. The Asian store's big rice bags often have years of production listed on them but the Goya rice does not. Who knows how long it's been sitting in a silo or distribution center. In any case, it may not be as fresh, regardless of Walmart stock turnover, so some extra water will probably make it better. Go and experiment with the amount of water that you use. More water and larger amounts of rice will boil the water and rice longer, helping the rice cook and fluff up properly.

If all else fails, you can try the Japanese technique of letting the rice absorb residual rinsing water for 20 minutes after rinsing and straining it, adding the right amount of water, then letting it sit for another 20 or 30 minutes in the cooker before turning it on. That will soften the rice up slightly. It's usually done with Japanese short and medium grain rices only, but hell, give it a try if nothing else works.

In a cheapo 6 cup cooker, you'll definitely want to cook a good amount of rice in it. I've found that expensive Japanese fuzzy logic/microchip controlled cookers do well with amounts of rice near the minimum capacity, but simple temperature cookers do not. They will burn the bottom and often give undercooked rice if you try and cook minimal amounts. At least Jasmine rice keeps well in the fridge for the next day or two if you make more than you need.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 5, 2011

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

casual poster posted:

Is it cool if I add beef broth in addition to water, into my crock pot while making pulled pork? This recipe (http://genxfinance.com/crock-pot-bbq-pulled-pork-recipe-for-under-15-easy-and-frugal/) doesn't call for it, but last time I made a meal like this I used it and it came out tasting great.

I would personally go for some apple juice, since it tends to match the flavor of pork better, but if you and your family like it, go for it.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

casual poster posted:

It's never a bad thing to add stock, broth or booze to any braised meat. I wouldn't add water at all.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
I have a fairly large boston butt. I'm thinking of making a pulled NC bbq with half and something latin in the other. Maybe pork enchilladas. Not too sure. Any suggestions?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
What looks like fuzzy rosemary but smells like lavender when crushed? Whatever it is, neither the kitchen manager nor I know, but its garnishing my bloody maries today.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Can you guys school me in cuts of beef? When I want steak, I typically buy flank steak because its inexpensive, flavorful, and can be cooked quickly so the family isn't having to eat a 8:00 in the evening.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Lunch.

What the hell do you cook for lunch?

I've been pursuing cooking as a hobby for most of my life, but I've gravitated towards time consuming dinners and gone for simple stuff for just myself at lunch.

Here's the situation. I'm up at my parents place for the first time in a while on a mountain range in northeast Australia and I'm expected to show off with a lunch for 4. Up here in this little town I can get to a decent butchers and a kind of hippy but relentlessly western grocers. I would dearly love ideas for a properly delicious lunch. I can spare an hour or so for kitchen work, more if the payoff is worth it.

Flavourful with bog standard ingredients, but making a big impression is what I'm going for. I can handle complicated, but I wont be able to get anything too exotic. There's nice lamb up here, and excellent local cheese and dairy. There are chooks laying good eggs in the backyard too. Seafood here is not great.

Please help! Love you!

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 5, 2011

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.
I'm making a baguette recipe, but I just realised that it makes two loaves. It's already gone through the first rise, and the recipe now calls for me to punch it down, form it into two loaves, and let it rise again. If I want to freeze one of the two loaves, should I bake both then freeze one, or freeze one now, or freeze after they've risen...? Bake partway? I'm very new to this bread thing.

Camembert fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 5, 2011

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
There was a fairly recent ICSA with a really good looking cream of mushroom soup recipe, but I completely forgot which ICSA and which poster it was. I tried searching, but I couldn't find anything. Does anybody remember what I'm talking about?

llbdtiberio
Mar 27, 2010
I have a slow cooker that I use fairly often but lately it has started making a low buzzing noise when in use. As far as I can tell it still cooks food just fine but is this a sign that it might be on its way out?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Camembert posted:

I'm making a baguette recipe, but I just realised that it makes two loaves. It's already gone through the first rise, and the recipe now calls for me to punch it down, form it into two loaves, and let it rise again. If I want to freeze one of the two loaves, should I bake both then freeze one, or freeze one now, or freeze after they've risen...? Bake partway? I'm very new to this bread thing.

Just cut off the second portion, oil, wrap and freeze.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Fagtastic posted:

Lunch.

Eggs Benedict over some local ham. Fresh brook trout fried with lemon, butter and dill. Ooh, soup and sandwiches - homemade soup with croque-monsieur.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Attempt one: Acorn squash seeds, wash, dry, place in toaster oven at about 200F for like 40 minutes or some poo poo, until they browned. End result = chewy lots of fiber, doesn't taste like pepitas that I would buy from the store.

Attempt two: large (not pie) pumpkin seeds, wash, dry, place in skillet on medium heat with a tiny bit of canola oil and garlic powder. They browned up and same thing, very fibrous when I eat them. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!

heeebrew posted:

Attempt two: large (not pie) pumpkin seeds, wash, dry, place in skillet on medium heat with a tiny bit of canola oil and garlic powder. They browned up and same thing, very fibrous when I eat them. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!

I always roasted my seeds in the oven. Give that a go.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

The Fear posted:

This is a very closed-minded attitude. Maybe your family is interested in eating food with varied ingredients and textures? Are they forbidden to try or enjoy things that you don't?
I missed this question, and you probably won't even read my response, but no, I don't "forbid" eating of foods. The kids love salad with spinach, green bean casserole, squash stew. They ask for all sorts of foods I don't like, and I happily buy and/or prepare it for them. I just won't eat it myself. Hypocritical? Yeah, I guess. As I said, I won't MAKE them eat something I wouldn't eat myself. If they want to, by all means. I don't like huge chunks of tomato or mushrooms or olives in my lasagna because of my own issues with textures.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Stalizard posted:

There was a fairly recent ICSA with a really good looking cream of mushroom soup recipe, but I completely forgot which ICSA and which poster it was. I tried searching, but I couldn't find anything. Does anybody remember what I'm talking about?

If it helps I am like 85% sure that it was bartolimu's entry.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
What should I do with this Eye of Round roast? I was thinking of braising it but I'm hoping to hear other suggestions.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I found a bread mix in the back of my cabinet that expired in June. I think the yeast must have went bad because it didn't exactly rise. What will happen if I bake it in a loaf pan anyway?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

razz posted:

I found a bread mix in the back of my cabinet that expired in June. I think the yeast must have went bad because it didn't exactly rise. What will happen if I bake it in a loaf pan anyway?

Probably your bread won't be light and fluffy.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I've got two 8 oz cans of Hunt's tomato sauce. Would that cover about a pound of spaghetti, plus meatballs? I'm adding spices, seasonings, mushrooms and onion, if that makes any difference.

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.

Casu Marzu posted:

Just cut off the second portion, oil, wrap and freeze.

Thank you! I ended up having company over, so both loaves were baked and are almost all gone now anyway, but I will surely do this next time!

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Oxford Comma posted:

I always roasted my seeds in the oven. Give that a go.

Yeah, my toaster oven is just a mini oven, I don't think it would make a difference, should I bake them at a higher temperature for less time?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

heeebrew posted:

Yeah, my toaster oven is just a mini oven, I don't think it would make a difference, should I bake them at a higher temperature for less time?

The better air circulation might make a relatively large difference, since you are trying to dry them out a fair bit.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Oxford Comma posted:

What should I do with this Eye of Round roast? I was thinking of braising it but I'm hoping to hear other suggestions.

Rub it with a paste of herbs, salt, garlic and oil. Let it sit in the fridge for at least a few hours or overnight.
Slowly roast it in a low oven.
Slice thinly and use it on sandwiches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Oxford Comma posted:

Probably your bread won't be light and fluffy.

Yep, it was basically the opposite of light and fluffy. Edible I suppose, but only maybe 1/3 the height that it should be :)