Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

The Triumphant posted:

I'm gonna name my kid William and, as he grows up, let him on the increasingly hosed-up writers I named him after. So when he's 10 he'll think It's Shakespeare and by the time he's 17 he'll find out that it's also Burroughs. And then if he decides to become a left-wing radical like me he can tell people it's Blake, or if he's a celtic Nationalist Yeats. Everyone wins.

I remember another time some parents named their kid after left-wing radicals, hoping the kid would grow up a radical as well.

It didn't end too well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I have a friend of a friend that thinks she is going to name her firstborn son Toran Kasu [Very Normal American Last Name]. You see, this name is a twofer. Not only does she get to name her kid after her anime boyfriend (Trunks from DBZ), but also after her anime son (TK from Digimon). Her husband is anti-this. Strangely, this is not the person I mentioned earlier who thought (thinks?) Digimon were real.

Again, I thought I knew weird folks. Then I read this thread.

Syng
Jul 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'd like to post my own crazy friend story, if that's cool. It has nothing to do with anime or RPGs, but with mythology, specifically Native American mythology.
A bit of back story: I became a huge mythology geek in junior high, starting with Greek myths and branching from there. This continued until high school, where I met my friend Michelle. Now, until Michelle came along, nobody else around me gave two shits about mythology and had no interest in talking to me about it. So when I found out Michelle also liked myths, I was pretty happy and we compared opinions on stories and gods. Anyway, everything was fine until one day on the bus ride from school. She asked me if I could keep a secret and of course I said yes. Michelle then began to tell me how the Native American trickster god Raven was in love with her and came to her every night to be with her. According to Michelle, Raven has a wife named Sparrow and a child named Wren. Michelle said she felt guilty about being with a married man (never mind that he's fake) but loved Raven too much to stop seeing him. So after she drops that bombshell, I'm kind of speechless and thank god the bus stopped at my corner shortly after. A few weeks pass and Michelle doesn't mention anything to me about Raven or his family so I let my guard down, hoping the crazy was a one time thing and I could just pretend it didn't happen.
Welp...some days afterward, Michelle comes to me (in the middle of school campus, btw) and proceeds to sob out that she is pregnant with Raven's child and what should she do, Raven won't marry her and Sparrow would kill her if she found out, etc. etc. Apparently Sparrow was a goddess with powers and poo poo.
Anyway, seeing as how this girl proceeded to vomit crazy all over me in front of my other friends, who were fairly normal, I decided to cut ties with her and not speak to her again. I guess compared to Kat and UglyNoodles, I'm a total heartless bitch for abandoning a possibly mental ill friend, but I was dealing with poo poo in my own life and didn't want to use the time and energy to deal with this person that doesn't think twice of humiliating me in front of other people.
Also, Michelle did not take good care of her hygiene either. Her hair always looked greasy and her teeth seriously had a ton of plague on them, it was pretty disgusting. I let that slide, but I just couldn't deal with her nuttiness.

RoboSpy
Sep 2, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Those are some good consummate Vs, but it needs something...

Yeah, that's better.

:bravo:

Much better. Look at all that majesty.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

How Girl Get Stamps, How is Mailing Formed

Denise immediately took up residence in the bedroom and began to create a mini-maelstrom of clothing and books and poo poo within a couple of hours. I don't know why the gently caress she thought she needed so much stuff -- She was visiting a friend she'd not seen in years and wasn't likely to see again for a very long time. Or, you know... Ever. I mean a couple books or something would've been reasonable, there's bound to be a couple slow afternoons or evenings, but we're talking tons and tons of magazines and yaoi books and poo poo. She tossed her stuff everywhere instantly. As an aside, the room was not only not hers -- it was not even my room so the least she could've done was offer a cursory effort at keeping it tidy. But there we go with Denise and the big 'E' word.

Denise brought her loving Dollfie.
I mean why wouldn't she, really, given that she is an extreme womanchild in almost every aspect of her life and of course what the doll means to her. I get that the doll is important to her and maybe I'm being a little lovely about this particular detail -- I think in reality I'm just angry about the Dollfie being in my presence because of the connotations it had to me rather than anything else. I may be being unfair here.
I can't really knock on anyone for having a special item they keep with them. I myself had a small yellow blanket from my babyhood that had frills and had a print of a green, blue, and pink giraffe, elephant and lion in a hot air balloon in clouds on it. I kept it with me my whole life, in a special pillowcase in its later years, and lost it when I was 18. I was devastated. (It was a popular design in the 80s so I'm told, I wish I could find a similar one!)

So on the one hand I can't really judge her on that, and on the other, I wanted to throw both her and the loving stupid thing out the window. Thankfully however she left it on the dresser the whole time and I more or less forgot it was even there.

So Kat and Denise get some rest for the first day or so, during which time Denise decided she was going to work super hard on her bead creatures to sell as commissions. She decided she needed to go and get beads. They were special beads apparently and so we had to find a bead shop and had to go get them right loving now you guys I need them. Nownownownow.

The nearest bead shop was about 2 miles or so away. I've never had a car in my life, didn't have a bike there, and had to save money so elected to walk. 4 miles isn't a bad thing after all, it was nice and summery out so off we went.

Not twenty minutes in, Denise started to complain. Her feeeet huuuurt, it was too hooooot, where is this shooop etc. Kat and I are both fairly active people and had no problem walking. We stopped into a Subway for lunch and a drink, and Denise collapsed in the chair next to us and moaned about how far it was and how much she needed those beads. Christ, you'd think we were walking to Narnia or some poo poo. Kat gave me a knowing look.

So we get to this bead shop at long last after distracting discussion about animu boys and some videogame that neither Kat or I play, and Denise rushes in and gets to work.

But none of the beads are this specific ultramarine or whatever colour she wanted so, whiiiiine. That didn't stop her from blowing about $200 on beads for her keychain critters that were totes going to sell in the gazillions despite her never actually testing the market by making and selling just a few first. Nope, it was balls to the walls bead time. I remember her asking Kat to buy her some beads and Kat was like :smug: "Nope."
Turns out Denise spent almost all of her money at that bead shop. She bought that and some retarded yaoi mags and that was it. Nice going.

So we head back to the apartment and Denise gets to work on building some critters, since it was the evening now and stuff. Idle banter was had, and when it got dark we played Silent Hill 3, and lo, it was fun.

The next morning Kat wants to go out and see some of the buildings and poke around some shops. Denise however wants to stay in and smell up the room. She throws a bit of a sulk at us when we insist; No, we do not want to stay in, Kat wants me to show her around this city she's never been to before. There is cool stuff to see, come with us. Nope. Frown. Glower. Sulk. Beads. Well, tough poo poo. When she realised we did actually not give a rat's rear end about her mood, she decided she'd come along anyway.

She complained and sulked the whole loving time. See, she wanted to be working on her bead creatures. She didn't have a lot of time and why couldn't we all stay in so she could work on them and we could just chat. She finally realised this poo poo wasn't getting her anywhere as I explained what the buildings around us were and what little I knew about the place, and headed in the direction of a park. So she sulked again, occasionally whining about the heat and how far we'd gone. But only occasionally. She did lighten up for a little while.

Denise was getting pissed that her bead keychains weren't selling. She got a pity commission from someone I think and so worked on that or her SUPER DETAILED DARGON that was GOING TO WIN THE CONTEST in the evening. Denise was sulky, messy, and hadn't showered. Kat and I were sick of dealing with her and went out on a walk. We got some coffee or something and had a good chat about stuff without her around. We also agreed that when Kat would come visit me in the UK, she would absolutely keep it on the down-low and no Denises would be tagging along too.

Kat and I had this awesome time in the middle of the night where we went out and climbed all over a nearby structure, drank blue Gatorade and broke out into spontaneous dance for no reason. At 3am we marched through one of the structure's imposing looking gates and loudly proclaimed to nobody in particular that we were super demon succubus vampires and so couldn't go out in the sunlight alone or date anyone because although we were gods of sex we had to remain pure. We burst out laughing. We did have serious discussions about philosophy and life and where we felt we were headed, things we couldn't talk about with Denise around. We forgot ourselves for a few hours and it kicked rear end. When we got back Denise was making some bead thing. There were beads everywhere. Everywhere. I'd be finding beads in that room for weeks afterward. On the floor, in the corner, under the closet door, in my loving underwear.

Denise made it apparent through the whole time that she was selfish, lazy, and hadn't changed at all. In one conversation she imparted to us that oh, she hoarded and kept statues and books and what have you because she was a dragon and dragons must have hoards, so she couldn't give any of it away. (Dragons also don't shower or hold down jobs, I guess. Makes sense right?)

I can't remember exactly how this came about but Denise had to mail something or get stamps or something simple. She wanted us to do it for her because she didn't want to go outside as usual. I don't remember what we were doing at the time but I do remember it distinctly involved Not Doing Denise's poo poo For Her. She made a big loving deal about this so we told her hey, it takes five minutes and you know where the corner store is, go do it yourself. So she tried either the most retardedly transparent attempt at manipulation I have ever seen, or displayed exactly how stunted she really is.
"I don't know how to mail a letter."
"What?"
"I'm a demon prince, I've only been in this world so long and I have servants to deal with most things like that for me. I don't know how to mail a letter. You do, so I don't understand why you won't do it for me."

gently caress me, that pissed me off. I had had entirely enough of her poo poo.

"Denise that's ridiculous."
"No it isn't, I--"
"Dude, don't make excuses. Just go to the corner store, get some stamps and post your letter, it isn't difficult."
"I don't want to go alone."
"Well, we're busy right now."
"It has to be mailed today!"
"Well, go mail it before last pickup. Last pickup's at 5, according to the box outside."
"I don't know where the store is."
"Denise you can see it from our window."

Denise refused, electing to sulk instead as evidently she figured that would be much more productive, and to my knowledge did not post the letter.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
All that sympathy I MIGHT have had for Denise before now?

Gone.

Poof, kaput, it's all gone. What an entitled selfish little bitch.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
I think I know the answer but did George ever make Denise see a psychiatrist? :ohdear:

Corbid Muriosity
Sep 4, 2011
You know you could probably use Denise as the basis for book or movie and make millions right?

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Everybody, there's a new king in town.

Get ready.
Denise seems like the kind of person who wouldn't help you if your life depended on it:

:(: Denise, please I need a bit of money for my blood pressure medication. If I don't get soon I could have a heart attack!
:j:: Nope, I need it for the next volume of my yaoi that's coming out.
:(: B-but I could die!
:j:: Sorry, but I can't masturbate unless I have a new manga of guys buttfucking every week.
:(: I...
:swoon::They're so super kawaii desu~~~~!

Corbid Muriosity
Sep 4, 2011

MojoKingBee posted:

Denise seems like the kind of person who wouldn't help you if your life depended on it:

:(: Denise, please I need a bit of money for my blood pressure medication. If I don't get soon I could have a heart attack!
:j:: Nope, I need it for the next volume of my yaoi that's coming out.
:(: B-but I could die!
:j:: Sorry, but I can't masturbate unless I have a new manga of guys buttfucking every week.
:(: I...
:swoon::They're so super kawaii desu~~~~!

I'm sure she could use her super anime powers to bring her friend back to life though, so it's cool.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Dancingthroughlife posted:

I think I know the answer but did George ever make Denise see a psychiatrist? :ohdear:

Earlier in the thread Kat said that George had no idea whatsoever of Denise's animu princess fairy land. Ugh that makes it even worse :(

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
Im glad I never mmet any truly weird people like this. I played alot of jrpgs in high school, but I never married an astral plane anime. I did work with a smelly denise-like otaku who played some bizzare horse themed mmo where you ran around as a horse and ate hay. She was balling in the lounge one day. I figured her mom or something had died the way she was carrying on, so I sat down asked her what happened. Apparently her horse mmo husband left her and took her foal with him because she didn't want an open horse mmo marriage, and he had a harem now.

I also lived next to a really weird couple who told me they were "physic vampires". They fed off emotions and aura energy. They were weird, but harmless. They also had really good weed, and would buy me and my uderage roommates beer every weekend.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

I Watson posted:

I do have to say my favorite crazy baby name so far has been YujiNaka Amber, given by a Sonic the Hedgehog fan to prove she was hardcore, gais. Last time I heard anything about the mother, she was leaving YujiNaka at home with granny so she could go to increasingly more Anime conventions to cosplay.

I can't even fathom the mental process to slap two Japanese names together and make it stick as a first name.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

gently caress Denise, what selfish bitch.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
After reading all this, I can't help but think of Denise as basically being Cartman when he's in one of his totally delusional moments, such as when his hand-puppet of Jennifer Lopez takes over. Only without the big twist "it was all a scheme" ending.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

KillRoy posted:

Apparently her horse mmo husband left her and took her foal with him because she didn't want an open horse mmo marriage, and he had a harem now.
:stare:

Is this a real thing?

uglynoodles, your drawing style is loving great and compliments the stories perfectly.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Denise's sleeve made me smile. Please tell me she actually had a shirt like that and she wore it seriously thinking it said 'princess' or something.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

uglynoodles posted:

When we got back Denise was making some bead thing. There were beads everywhere. Everywhere. I'd be finding beads in that room for weeks afterward. On the floor, in the corner, under the closet door, in my loving underwear.

Oh god, I hope you washed everything afterwards. :gonk:

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Denise's sleeve made me smile. Please tell me she actually had a shirt like that and she wore it seriously thinking it said 'princess' or something.

So what does it actually say?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Kantesu posted:

So what does it actually say?

Gaijin in hiragana.

ornery bean
Nov 7, 2010

Not even gonna lie, Uglynoodles, but after reading that post I took one of the hottest, most exfoliating showers in my life. Reading about Denise makes me feel grungy.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
I have no idea how you could stand Denise for this long without bringing her make-believe animuworld down all around her and smacking some goddamn sense into her. Sure, when you're younger it was fine, it's all done in good fun because that is what young people do.

But this...I'm to understand you're adults, and you've been living on your own for a few years at this point, and Denise hasn't changed a bit. She was described as if she was just as spoiled, self-centered, and delusional as when she wouldn't spare you a couple bucks when you were out on the loving street because she wanted a thousand-dollar dollfie. I am, for some reason, getting the impression that she secretly hated both you and Kat, out of jealousy, because neither of you would resolve yourselves to being a steaming pile of poo poo for the rest of your lives.

You are really some kind-of saint; I, personally, wouldn't take that poo poo from a person like this; let alone anyone else I'd even remotely consider a 'friend'.

Lezzie Borden
Jul 20, 2011

ornery bean posted:

Not even gonna lie, Uglynoodles, but after reading that post I took one of the hottest, most exfoliating showers in my life. Reading about Denise makes me feel grungy.

Oh god same here. It makes me feel greasy and disgusting.

And I did something similar with beads, I bought TONS of pendants and wire and beads and poo poo, thinking I was hot stuff and gonna sell on etsy. I got a couple buyers, but that's it. All that money down the drain. While my mother did buy some of the supplies for me, most of it was my money. I still have the majority of the supplies and occasionally make things for my family even if it means buying more beads (the pendants I picked out look loving stupid by themselves if on anything else at all. I didn't get many beads)

I don't even loving wear jewelry, why did I decide to make it? Eh, at least I learned my lesson pretty quick, even if I do occasionally buy pretty beads and hoard them still.

I really should make a few more pieces just for fun and give them to my poor family members for Christmas.

Lezzie Borden fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 5, 2011

John Liver
May 4, 2009

KillRoy posted:

Apparently her horse mmo husband left her and took her foal with him because she didn't want an open horse mmo marriage, and he had a harem now.

Wojtek posted:

Is this a real thing?

At least that dude got out while the getting was good.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

uglynoodles posted:

Denise refused, electing to sulk instead as evidently she figured that would be much more productive, and to my knowledge did not post the letter.

All I can picture is Denise doing her very best to imitate Gob from Arrested Development by dramatically throwing the letter into the sea. I'm sorry. It's just the first thing that pops into my head.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

KillRoy posted:

Im glad I never mmet any truly weird people like this. I played alot of jrpgs in high school, but I never married an astral plane anime. I did work with a smelly denise-like otaku who played some bizzare horse themed mmo where you ran around as a horse and ate hay. She was balling in the lounge one day. I figured her mom or something had died the way she was carrying on, so I sat down asked her what happened. Apparently her horse mmo husband left her and took her foal with him because she didn't want an open horse mmo marriage, and he had a harem now.

I also lived next to a really weird couple who told me they were "physic vampires". They fed off emotions and aura energy. They were weird, but harmless. They also had really good weed, and would buy me and my uderage roommates beer every weekend.

Oh! That reminds me. When I was in art college, I was sitting in class one day and happened to glance at another girls computer. She was on a message board for an Orca Whale & whale trainer RP. Of course later with my friends we found the board and started to troll it. Unfortunately, we got banned pretty fast.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Pancakes McGee posted:

Oh god same here. It makes me feel greasy and disgusting.

And I did something similar with beads, I bought TONS of pendants and wire and beads and poo poo, thinking I was hot stuff and gonna sell on etsy. I got a couple buyers, but that's it. All that money down the drain. While my mother did buy some of the supplies for me, most of it was my money. I still have the majority of the supplies and occasionally make things for my family even if it means buying more beads (the pendants I picked out look loving stupid by themselves if on anything else at all. I didn't get many beads)

I don't even loving wear jewelry, why did I decide to make it? Eh, at least I learned my lesson pretty quick, even if I do occasionally buy pretty beads and hoard them still.

I really should make a few more pieces just for fun and give them to my poor family members for Christmas.

This is off topic, but you should drop by the etsy thread for some advice, join the etsy goon squad, and maybe drop me a message via PM/AIM sometime if you want to chat?

On topic if you ever see her doll again please chuck it out the window for me. :v:

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

dumb brunette posted:

All I can picture is Denise doing her very best to imitate Gob from Arrested Development by dramatically throwing the letter into the sea. I'm sorry. It's just the first thing that pops into my head.

With her skinny demon wife with huge cans named Criniroth.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I shouldn't be surprised she is still doing the demon prince shtick even into adulthood but I am. It must be exhausting having to remember every single detail and keep up with all your personas and choosing the appropriate one for the correct occasion.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
If she forgets then it's just a new personality that can't remember all the details of the old ones.

bringmyfishback posted:

I have met two girls named Chani who admit they were named after the Dune Character.

There was an anime tattoo thread in ADTRW and there was a basic rule for the ones that looked good: If someone doesn't know it's from anime, they think "cool design" and if they know it's from anime they're a big enough nerd to think it's neat. I think the same applies here.

dumb brunette posted:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Ask me about studying law with a girl who thinks she's married to Sai Baba

Previously:
The Girl in the Sari
A Note on Henriette
Phantom in Honolulu
The Girl who Thinks She's Married to Sai Baba & Part 2

The Thespian Society

For reasons unknown to us, Henriette's performance in the Phantom of Honolulu party was deemed a personal success. She went on, based on that party, to obtain approval from the law faculty dean to allow her to create an official college-supported Thespian Society.

The Thespian Society lasted two years - the very same two years we were in college before leaving for UK. They have managed to push out two projects:

1. A heavily preachy stage play on the importance of morality and religion; and
2. A massive, 4-hour long Bollywood musical film, with intermissions of song performances.

Both projects will be detailed in their own posts.

Surprisingly, Henriette practised a lot of restraint in making her the main star for both projects. She was only the star of the film, and it was very telling that she put in a lot more effort into the film than the stage play. While both were awful in their own special ways, the play was merely mediocre. The film, in the meantime, was tremendously terrible. Until now, our law faculty alumni can remember bits and pieces of the film and Henriette's performance in it.

In both projects, Henriette's role followed one single theme: the religious Hindu mother. Both projects had elaborate, long scenes of her as a mother performing religious rites with her son. You would expect an actress who won awards before to at least vary her roles a little.

Cast of Characters:

Lisa Lisa are two girls who had been best friends since high school, and became close acquaintances to Henriette when she came to college. They weren't very remarkable and were similar in both personality and looks, hence my unceremonious lumping of them together (sorry ladies). They displayed a surprising sense of self-awareness and acknowledged that Henriette is odd as hell, but because Henriette depended on them a lot they remained very supportive of her. Currently, both are practising lawyers in different firms and still meet up with each other occasionally.

Jake Long, American Dragon is the guy with the laptop in Phantom in Honolulu. He was an awkward guy in Engineering who seemed to be starstruck by Henriette and was practically being twisted around her little finger. She treated him like a groupie except without the sex, since she was saving herself for Sai Baba. Jake Long, American Dragon was also a furry (this is important). I have no idea where he is now.

Min would have been That Girl, but thanks to Henriette whatever craziness she exhibited was sidelined. Min was a compulsive liar who had the bad habit of putting people into groups and making different poo poo up based on the groups they belonged to. Unfortunately, these groups interacted with each other outside her control, and ultimately poo poo would hit the fan. She also claimed that almost every other male in authority (our criminal law lecturer, IP law lecturer in UK, law faculty dean, her pupil master in a prestigious Malaysian firm, a loving judge) had raped her. Min faked dyslexia in UK and got a first class, bragged to all the Malaysians and pissed everyone off. Nobody gives a poo poo where she is now.

Shini was Henriette's best friend until halfway through the first semester. Shini only lasted a few weeks in the Thespian Society. This will be detailed in a separate entry.

Lin is a younger, naive, friendly girl. She viewed Henriette as her best friend (something which I am not entirely sure is mutual) and looked up to her. She got into Sai Baba, became a vegetarian, worse saris and did a bunch of Sai Baba-based activities with Henriette. While Lin was naive, she wasn't exactly delusional and so never wore saris to class daily or declare herself married to Sai Baba. Lin is still friends with Henriette, and is doing her legal pupilage in a firm my friend is working at. I feel bad that I never had the chance to warn Lin about Henriette's craziness, but my friend told me she is doing well so hopefully she comes out okay.

A number of people from the Law Faculty are in the Thespian Society, mostly for not knowing better and also to support a fellow law faculty mate. A lot of us were exposed to Henriette first hand through the Thespian Society, including me. I was VP in the Law Society and felt obliged to support the Thespian Society, which Henriette asked the law faculty dean to be associated with the Law Society. Suffice to say, Law Society events from then on would have Thespian Society performances. These were Henriette performances and were all either Phantom of the Opera or Bollywood songs.

The tutor in charge was Raja.

Interlude: Raja Discovers Blogging

Raja is the same lecturer who asked me how to buy an Internet. Raja was presumably a genuine 40 year old virgin who never left Malaysia (he was scared of flights), never had a girlfriend (mother was controlling) and still stayed with his parents.

Raja was a technophobe, until he realised what he could do with a computer when I showed him how to do legal research without using books. The ironic thing was that he sometimes had to teach IT law when the usual lecturer was not around.

He was incredibly taken by the idea of blogging, and especially youtube and social media (he added us all on friendster and left embarrassing comments). Somewhere during this time, he told us he started a blog for fun, with only a single entry criticising the Malaysian ruling party, and how he needed to make sure it wasn't libelous which may result in him being prosecuted.

He also made, in another class, a remark about online censorship being regulated by the service providers, and how youtube disallowed pornographic videos. A student jokingly told him to go to xtube/pornotube instead.

One day Raja asked to have a private conversation with me. I can't recall the exact details, but it was on whether online transactions were safe, and how to tell which sort of websites were dodgy. I gave him a quick crash course on using credit cards online, https, a bit on SSL and so on.

About a couple of months later, someone checked out Raja's blog for kicks, and clicked the link to the blogspot profile. That very same night everyone in the law faculty logged on and checked out that profile.

The profile on blogspot, if you choose to make it public (I believe), would let you see the other blogs owned by the same person. Well, Raja apparently didn't bother to make that private, because we all saw the 100+ blogs he created with horrifying pornographic names. Of great significance was Jennifer Aniston, whose name kept being repeated throughout the blog titles.

I still remember checking on one of the blogs. It had a photoshopped nude photo of Aniston (among others), and a comment in Raja's unmistakable writing style, stating that he preferred Aniston's nice perky breasts, and could not believe Brad Pitt was now with that harpy, Angelina Jolie (with her large sagging breasts). I chose not to look at the others, but other braver souls in the law faculty did and reported equally distressing contents.

The Law Society committee (which included me at the time) convened and debated on whether we should inform the law faculty dean or at least tell Raja to get rid of the loving blogs, but for one reason or another we chose not to and quietly asked everyone else in the law faculty to keep their mouths shut (especially Min, who probably already have told someone Raja raped her). I wish I could remember the rationale, but it likely was out of pity and the fact he never was a perv to anybody. It did make classes with Raja really awkward though.

As far as I am aware, Henriette never knew anything about Raja and his blogs. She probably would have conducted a ritual to cleanse his soul if she did.

Raja is still a lecturer in the college.

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 5, 2011

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Raja

I cannot stop giggling about this, for some reason. Never stop doing these.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

She also claimed that almost every other male in authority (our criminal law lecturer, IP law lecturer in UK, law faculty dean, her pupil master in a prestigious Malaysian firm, a loving judge) had raped her, despite her face looking like an elephant in a septic tank accident.

Hey: this kinda irked me because ugly people get raped too--it's a sex crime, yeah, but it's about power. I know odds are Min wasn't assaulted by any of those men but it's better not to, like, perpetuate harmful rape culture-y myths about who gets sexually assaulted and why.

That said, it's a good story and I can just imagine what Raja's long-rear end list of sex blogs looked like and it's makin me laff. Also 'cause I feel like there's something inherently funny about Jennifer Aniston, like, as an ~icon~

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I agree with you and apologise. I've removed that bit in the interest of fairness and also not attracting a horrible derail about rape culture.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Denise sounds almost exactly like a friend of mine, except she was convinced that Pokemon were "spiritual beings" and that she was "the one true trainer". She would point at nothing and say "there's a [insert Pokemon name here] sitting right there".

She was 24.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Raserys posted:

Now I'm interested. Does it need archives, or is it in the Goldmine somewhere?
A couple of pages late, but it's goldmined: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2201461

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Runcible Cat posted:

A couple of pages late, but it's goldmined: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2201461
I haven't read a Humper story in years. The whole thing reads of a well written John Ringo novel, it's just a bit too perfectly hard-case to take seriously.
I do get the suspicion that 50 Foot Ant could have created him.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Runcible Cat posted:

I'm unsure whether or not I really believe this, it's just so goddamn cinematic, but either way it's stunning.

I did sort of ignore all non-OP posts, from what I saw it's average level GBS.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

uglynoodles posted:

I think in reality I'm just angry about the Dollfie being in my presence because of the connotations it had to me rather than anything else. I may be being unfair here.

Absolutely not.

You even make a comparison immediately afterward about a yellow blanket you had when you were a baby. She's had the thing for what, a year or two? Don't even try to still sympathize with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Absolutely not.

You even make a comparison immediately afterward about a yellow blanket you had when you were a baby. She's had the thing for what, a year or two? Don't even try to still sympathize with her.

You're right, I'm sorry. :(
I don't talk to her anymore nor do I have any intention of doing so in future. I guess it's just in my nature!

• Locked thread