Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Hello I'm just starting to play. I have a stick now I just need a game. Some criteria: xbox 360, I'd be playing mostly online. Not too complicated as I haven't played these games in ages. I guess all roads lead to SF4, right?

MvC3 is probably the easiest, but its online is terrible. SSF4 is relatively easy with decent enough online (still not great) and is the most popular FG right now. There's also SF3:3s (xbla) which has good online but fewer people playing and is kind of hard compared to sf4. Finally there's mvc2 which is downloadable and is basically the best game, but I'm not sure if anyone's still playing it online.

E: VVVVV I forgot about UMVC3. It will probably be super popular but there's basically 0 chance it will have better online than regular MVC3.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Hello I'm just starting to play. I have a stick now I just need a game. Some criteria: xbox 360, I'd be playing mostly online. Not too complicated as I haven't played these games in ages. I guess all roads lead to SF4, right?

UMvC3 is releasing in 10 days and will probably have a bunch of people playing online for a little while.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
If it's your first fighting game get SSF4 or wait for UMvC3, depending on whether you like a slower or faster game, respectively.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you live in euroland pick up Arcana Heart 3 (for some reason it never came out stateside on the 360).

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Countblanc posted:

If you live in euroland pick up Arcana Heart 3 (for some reason it never came out stateside on the 360).

Seconding this. I've never experienced lag after the first few seconds of a match (which was mostly the pre-fight animation), the system is deep and flashy, and as far as I can tell the online doesn't suffer from Flowchart Ken syndrome.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Yeah in euroland, but this game looks pretty absurd (which doesn't matter that much) and I read it leans more on long combos and other more advanced stuff. And how is the online?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Yeah in euroland, but this game looks pretty absurd (which doesn't matter that much) and I read it leans more on long combos and other more advanced stuff. And how is the online?
Ghooost toooown

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

So most of you have probably seen the Meet your Skullgirls trailer. But I noticed something that was easy to pass by.

At 1:03, we go through Ms. Fortune's preset assists before choosing a custom action. The first one? "Fiber Uppercut".

I love this game.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Groghammer posted:

So most of you have probably seen the Meet your Skullgirls trailer. But I noticed something that was easy to pass by.

At 1:03, we go through Ms. Fortune's preset assists before choosing a custom action. The first one? "Fiber Uppercut".

I love this game.

An 18 hit combo also comes up as 'barely legal' :v:

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)
I know the TE sticks came out before or after Tekken 6's release, but Tekken 6 is almost impossible to play with a TE. Any way to configure it where it's playable?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There is a button config like every other fighting game but that's it. What is the difficulty you are having?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

AXE COP posted:

An 18 hit combo also comes up as 'barely legal' :v:

I also liked how 13 was 'unfortunate'. :v:

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

Robolizard! posted:

There is a button config like every other fighting game but that's it. What is the difficulty you are having?

When you configure a stick, it's based off the lousy Hori stick that came with the game. The buttons are all over the place because the geniuses at Hori thought it would be cool to scatter the buttons. Basically, you can't play Tekken 6 on a TE.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Schmendrick posted:

When you configure a stick, it's based off the lousy Hori stick that came with the game. The buttons are all over the place because the geniuses at Hori thought it would be cool to scatter the buttons. Basically, you can't play Tekken 6 on a TE.

i think-

You have to use that bogus layout that hori uses (on xbox) unless you pay more money to microsoft and have the stick licensed to a particular game. It makes the stick cost like 5-10$ more.

edit- I don't play Tekken tho :cool:

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 5, 2011

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Uh, I play T6 on a TE all the time with no issues.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

Brosnan posted:

Uh, I play T6 on a TE all the time with no issues.

What's your set up for Tekken 6?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Set it to regular xbox controller buttons.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Worst case scenario, you can open up your stick and just swap the wires to the exact Hori layout.

I don't know how you're having trouble with a TE stick though, since the layout for the 4 buttons is pretty much the same as a standard 360 controller.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I really hate that I can't play Tekken with a stick. I played the hell out of Tekken 1,2,3,TT, and 5 on the Playstation/Playstation 2 and just can't get used to a stick. I learned with Street Fighter 4 and MvC3, and now can't imagine playing it on a pad. But Tekken I can only really play with a PS controller. :(

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

Edit: Ok, I figured it out when I was able to set up the xyab buttons. Thanks for the help.

v v v
Yea, you're right. Thanks again. :) I agree with you the layout is flat out stupid.

Schmendrick fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 5, 2011

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Yeah and I'm pretty sure than when you hold the button you can push left or right and it changes the function. It's a lovely config but it's not set in stone like you seem to think.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Medullah posted:

I really hate that I can't play Tekken with a stick. I played the hell out of Tekken 1,2,3,TT, and 5 on the Playstation/Playstation 2 and just can't get used to a stick. I learned with Street Fighter 4 and MvC3, and now can't imagine playing it on a pad. But Tekken I can only really play with a PS controller. :(

I've seen people in tourneys play with controllers rather than sticks sometimes, so it depends on which tourney it is. If it takes place in an arcade however, then you might want to take a while getting used to sticks, otherwise you can play online from the comfort of your couch.

Also don't be ashamed to admit you played T4. It sure as hell wasn't horrible, I actually liked the SS system, it felt fluid and responsive and the less of 1+3 throws wasn't a big deal either. It wasn't great though. Steve, Jin and Hwos were pretty common back then.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Medullah posted:

There are some players who think that pad is advantageous for playing Tekken, so don't feel too strange.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

uncleKitchener posted:

I've seen people in tourneys play with controllers rather than sticks sometimes, so it depends on which tourney it is. If it takes place in an arcade however, then you might want to take a while getting used to sticks, otherwise you can play online from the comfort of your couch.

Also don't be ashamed to admit you played T4. It sure as hell wasn't horrible, I actually liked the SS system, it felt fluid and responsive and the less of 1+3 throws wasn't a big deal either. It wasn't great though. Steve, Jin and Hwos were pretty common back then.

Biggest problem is now I play on Xbox...and I'm so drat used to the PS pad. :(

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Medullah posted:

Biggest problem is now I play on Xbox...and I'm so drat used to the PS pad. :(

http://etokki.com/Xbox360/Xtokki360

Buy this and plug a PS2 pad into it. :cool:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
If there is an arcade Tekken 5 tournament (or later) you can just plug PS2 controllers into the system. Tekken practically encourages pad.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

40 OZ posted:

http://etokki.com/Xbox360/Xtokki360

Buy this and plug a PS2 pad into it. :cool:

Is there one that allows me to use a 360 TE on a PS3? I can't trust myself with curring wires and using soldering irons. Someone might die :(

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

uncleKitchener posted:

It was pretty horrible. Jin is stronger than the rest of the cast by a wider margin than anyone has ever been in a Tekken game before or since, and he makes the game not fun. Next tier down by a long shot was Steve/Nina/Paul, but even then, Tekken 4 was the ugly teenage years between the cute infancy of Tekken 1-2 and the adult hotness of 5-6.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...
Why is the downloadable SF4 like 5 gigs? I'm not bitching, Just curious because it seems really large when other 360 downloads are 1 gig or 2. Why does this game want to eat my hard drive!

Not like it matters, I'll grab it at a store because I've been obsessed with SF3 lately. Hope the online is better. :bang:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

Hope the online is better. :bang:

Better than 3SO? I hate to break it to you, but...

edit: Actually wait, what's wrong with 3SO's online to you? It's pretty drat solid.

Brother Entropy fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 6, 2011

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

Why is the downloadable SF4 like 5 gigs?

Because it's a full retail game?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dizz posted:

Is there one that allows me to use a 360 TE on a PS3? I can't trust myself with curring wires and using soldering irons. Someone might die :(

No. The TE Kitty is easy to install, no soldering required (you strip a few wires on the usb cable, but thats it). There is also the teasy strike

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

Brother Entropy posted:

Better than 3SO? I hate to break it to you, but...

edit: Actually wait, what's wrong with 3SO's online to you? It's pretty drat solid.

Nothing, now that I actually tried it out again. I swore it was terrible but apparently a magic update snuck by me. I am stupid.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Robolizard! posted:

No. The TE Kitty is easy to install, no soldering required (you strip a few wires on the usb cable, but thats it). There is also the teasy strike

The Teasy Strike is easier and quicker to install but the Kitty gives you better features. Neither require soldering. Just be aware that if you do the Teasy Strike then want to switch to a Kitty it is a pain in the rear end, I just learned that the hard way.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
oh my loving god http://imgur.com/a/BnA7Q

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Gamest Mook posted:

oh my loving god http://imgur.com/a/BnA7Q

Literally rufus irl

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

AXE COP posted:

Literally rufus irl

I was thinking KoF's Chang.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
Don't worry cabbagepots any woman that sees you will get caught up in your own gravitational field so you can watch them orbit around you

Jmcrofts posted:

I was thinking KoF's Chang.

That's an insult to Chang's good looks.

Cinroth fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 6, 2011

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That shirt is honestly better than 99% of fgc related clothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
I'd rather wear any FGC shirt than a shirt that advertises a bizarre sex fetish.

• Locked thread