Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Rubies posted:

Can someone explain this popsicle stick joke to me?

q: What did the monkey name his kid?
a: Buck

I've never heard the word "buck" used to describe anything having to do with monkeys. I have a feeling I'm gonna :doh: when someone explains but I can't get it.

It kinda makes sense if the person being told the joke is named Buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Why is The Lord of the Rings basically The Wizard of Oz?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

FogHelmut posted:

Why is The Lord of the Rings basically The Wizard of Oz?

Um...there's a wizard and...a bad witch? I don't know, I have seriously never heard that comparison in my life and am kind of at a loss for a clue as to how one could be made.

I mean, there's a journey. And then the hobbits go home.

I don't know.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Huntersoninski posted:

Um...there's a wizard and...a bad witch? I don't know, I have seriously never heard that comparison in my life and am kind of at a loss for a clue as to how one could be made.

I mean, there's a journey. And then the hobbits go home.

I don't know.

Well Dorothy is Frodo and the slippers are the ring, and there's a crew of adventurers. The Tin Man has an axe like Gimli, and the Cowardly Lion is basically a king without any subjects like Aragorn. There's talking trees, a Good Witch, a dark forest. They climb up a mountain to get to the Wicked Witch's castle, not unlike the Morgul Pass. There's a big gate to the Witch's castle, along with marching guards. The Flying Monkeys are basically the Nazgul. Emerald City is Minas Tirith. I'm sure there's a few more things.

edit- Munchkins are hobbits, clearly.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 5, 2011

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

FogHelmut posted:

Well Dorothy is Frodo and the slippers are the ring, and there's a crew of adventurers. The Tin Man has an axe like Gimli, and the Cowardly Lion is basically a king without any subjects like Aragorn. There's talking trees, a Good Witch, a dark forest. They climb up a mountain to get to the Wicked Witch's castle, not unlike the Morgul Pass. There's a big gate to the Witch's castle, along with marching guards. The Flying Monkeys are basically the Nazgul. Emerald City is Minas Tirith. I'm sure there's a few more things.

edit- Munchkins are hobbits, clearly.

Well sure but then I guess you could boil it down to "every adventure book featuring a long journey is The Wizard of Oz" which isn't right. It's just that adventure/journey stories, including Oz, all tend to kind of have a formula because that formula works.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Joseph Campbell's Hero With A Thousand Faces is a good read if you want to find out more about the archetypes that infuse pretty much every movie/story we see now.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Has anyone used Kava tea as a sleep aid? Does it work?

Have you tried melatonin? I used that for a while when I was having trouble sleeping. You can get it as a supplement at any sort of grocery store.

Mediochre
Jul 3, 2002
Can I pay bills through a wi-fi connection at my library without criminals easily stealing all my credit-card numbers? What are the major risks associated with doing this?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Mediochre posted:

Can I pay bills through a wi-fi connection at my library without criminals easily stealing all my credit-card numbers? What are the major risks associated with doing this?

You can get a VPN service like this which will encrypt everything between your laptop and the service's servers if you're really worried. Since most payment sites encrypt data anyway I'd be more worried about people shoulder surfing than anything else though.

Some banks have services that use a small device you carry with you that gives you a temporary password you need to get into your account. That way somebody would need the device and the password for it as well as some other information to make a payment.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Teeter posted:

Have you tried melatonin? I used that for a while when I was having trouble sleeping. You can get it as a supplement at any sort of grocery store.

I've used melatonin in the past, but it seems to lose its effectiveness after a few days. I wonder if it would work again since I haven't used it in so long.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Do any stores still sell USB floppy disc drives? I've had zero luck so far.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Do any stores still sell USB floppy disc drives? I've had zero luck so far.

Why not buy off Amazon?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Can anyone identify this font for me and when you think this print originated? It looks like 40's or 50's because I've seen this style before.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Where can I get the fix for Chrome that enables me to click timgs to enlarge them on the forums? Just reinstalled windows and it's driving me nuts :)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Where can I get the fix for Chrome that enables me to click timgs to enlarge them on the forums? Just reinstalled windows and it's driving me nuts :)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201527&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=378#post387668104

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

actionjackson posted:

Can anyone identify this font for me and when you think this print originated?

I probably can identify the font if you can get a clearer picture. Just the title would be okay. As it is, I can't tell what's thick and what's blur/distortion.

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.
There's a pretty good website that can identify fonts from samples, http://new.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

It will probably need a better quality photo though.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

actionjackson posted:

Can anyone identify this font for me and when you think this print originated? It looks like 40's or 50's because I've seen this style before.

I haven't seen the poster before, but I'm 90% sure that font is good old Bodoni: http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/atf-bodoni/

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
There is an extension for Chrome that turns allows you to click on an image to go from the thumbnail to the fullsize (and vise versa) that I used on the forums before I reformatted. Now they are just thumbnails that I can't click with a red boarder around them.

Does anyone know which extension this is?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Besesoth posted:

I haven't seen the poster before, but I'm 90% sure that font is good old Bodoni: http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/atf-bodoni/

Looks right, here's a closer picture

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

iloverice posted:

There is an extension for Chrome that turns allows you to click on an image to go from the thumbnail to the fullsize (and vise versa) that I used on the forums before I reformatted. Now they are just thumbnails that I can't click with a red boarder around them.

Does anyone know which extension this is?

4 posts up?

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja

FCKGW posted:

4 posts up?

I'm a moron. Thanks.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

actionjackson posted:

Looks right, here's a closer picture

Yep, that's Bodoni. Here's a replica (as close as I can get it; this is Bodoni MT, with -85 tracking on the headline and -50 tracking on "Official Color"):

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Seconding Bodoni.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Definitely bodoni.

Is there a stream for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on the internet somewhere? Like, an official one? I tried to find one last year and didn't have much luck for a really long while.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Definitely bodoni.

Is there a stream for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on the internet somewhere? Like, an official one? I tried to find one last year and didn't have much luck for a really long while.
It might show up on NBC's Web site or Macy's Web site. If you have a TV tuner on your computer, just fire that up. :)

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Where can I buy a bunch of cheap A4 size cardboard? It's for packaging purposes and the best example of what I need is something like the brown/grey board on the back of a pad of paper. All office supply places I try don't have any and online it's mainly just 'craft' card that's too thin / expensive. I'm in the UK.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Install Gentoo posted:

Many places do this. Most of the freeways around NYC have names, and Philly as well.

A few pages late, but first off, nobody in NYC would actually call them freeways, and secondly, at least in NYC, a large part of that is that the roads 1) predate the interstate highway system, and 2) in many cases don't actually have any alternate numerical designation (either state or interstate). For example, all of the Robert Moses parkways around downstate NY are named: The Belt/Southern State, the Grand Central/Northern State, the Cross Island, just to give a few examples from Brooklyn/Queens. The Parkway network has a number of other quirks as well though.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Any advice on how to insulate a window with a broken seal? It's in my office and it has a chilling draft coming in and I can hear all of the outside noise, but the landlord says that since the window itself is intact they don't need to fix it.

It's frigid in here and I need to feed my goony computer habit. Is there any sort of like, insulated curtain or something I can hang over the window? Yes I see a lot of results on Google but not sure what would actually work well and not look lovely.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
Is there a website that calculates changes in money's worth over time? Or something like inflation rates from some point in time till today?
I wouldn't mind calculating it myself if I could just find some kind of appropiate exchange factor.

For example: What is a dollar worth if you compare the years 1919 and 2011?

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 6, 2011

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Lollerich posted:

Is there a website that calculates changes in money's worth over time? Or something like inflation rates from some point in time till today?
I wouldn't mind calculating it myself if I could just find some kind of appropiate exchange factor.

For example: What is a dollar worth if you compare the years 1919 and 2011?

That's one of the many features of Wolfram Alpha: see?

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

helopticor posted:

That's one of the many features of Wolfram Alpha: see?
Aaah thanks, I had heard about wolfram alpha but forgot what it was called!

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

I apologize in advance for this question.
I remember waaay back on german MTV around 1997 (which used to be surprisingly uncensored) watching a rap video which may or may not have been by sir mix a lot with lots of huge breasted women, both white and black and the singer of this particular song ejaculating all over the place while singing.

Does anybody happen to know which song that was and have a link to the video? I fondly remember me and my roomates in university laughing our asses off to this video and I would like to relive these moments.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

EVG posted:

Any advice on how to insulate a window with a broken seal? It's in my office and it has a chilling draft coming in and I can hear all of the outside noise, but the landlord says that since the window itself is intact they don't need to fix it.

It's frigid in here and I need to feed my goony computer habit. Is there any sort of like, insulated curtain or something I can hang over the window? Yes I see a lot of results on Google but not sure what would actually work well and not look lovely.
Caulk? All of those plastic film window kits end up looking lovely in my opinion.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

EVG posted:

Get some window film like this. They should have it at the hardware store and shouldn't cost more than a couple dollars. That plus some heavy curtains should help quite a bit.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
On Top Chef: Just Desserts a few weeks ago, someone mentioned he was having Cap'n Crunch for breakfast. They then show him pouring it out of the box, and the box is blurred. Why? Because the box art is copyrighted and TV lawyers have never heard of fair use? Or some other stupid reason?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Golbez posted:

On Top Chef: Just Desserts a few weeks ago, someone mentioned he was having Cap'n Crunch for breakfast. They then show him pouring it out of the box, and the box is blurred. Why? Because the box art is copyrighted and TV lawyers have never heard of fair use? Or some other stupid reason?

No one gets free product placement.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

What happened to the feature on facebook that let you list all the videos that have been posted by your friends in order of recentness? Now I have to go to individual profiles to see videos.

There used to be a little video button under apps and it's gone.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Golbez posted:

They went and asked Cap'n Crunch to pay for the privilege of appearing on Top Chef, and were refused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

When I was in grade school, I remember a handout from a teacher which began along the lines of, "Read the entire list, first," followed by a series of instructions-- the last one said to set down your pencil/not do anything/not follow any of the above instructions.

A trollish lesson in following directions, I suppose. Does anyone know where/how I can find something like this? My (college post-grad certificate) students have a huge problem with this sort of thing, and to show a bit of dickishness on my part I'd like to pass this out to them.