Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Picked up my copy on my lunch break, can't wait to get home and try it out. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Oh gently caress I am a terrible Level-5 whore. I didn't know this was already out!

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
About 5 hours in, and loving this game so far. There's nothing really different from the previous titles, but all I wanted was more of the same puzzles and crazy Layton story-line. Definitely recommended.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

I got mine as an early birthday present yesterday. The only problem is I'm on midnight right now so not awake during the day AND my DS is uncharged.

HRRRRG I can't wait for the weekend. :ohdear:

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
So anyone played the new one yet? I'd like to pick it up but didn't really like the last one as much as the first two, too many sliding puzzles and repetitive math poo poo I didn't wanna do.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

So anyone played the new one yet? I'd like to pick it up but didn't really like the last one as much as the first two, too many sliding puzzles and repetitive math poo poo I didn't wanna do.

It's funny, the first 6 puzzles include two sliding block-style puzzles and a math puzzle. Also a rehash of the put the animals in the boat thing. These are just the earliest puzzles in the game though so I don't think it's that bad.

Also, I don't understand how London Life could possibly be 100 hours. Protip to anyone who picks this up: don't try to play London Life for hours and hours on end- just play it coffee-break style or you'll get burned out on it. From what I can tell the '100 hours' figure is doing side quests every ingame day for the various NPCs, because everything else is fairly shallow.

There are like 6 jobs (called livelinesses) you can do. I won't spoil them individually, but four are just scripted things you do in the city and two are actual hardcoded minigames. Once you've played them all once, you might as well have played them a million times. There are also a bunch of shops that sell clothes and food. Food can be eaten to learn how to make it at your house (which has no benefits from what I can tell, it's silly, the only reason to eat is to gain more and more recipes) and clothes which there are a pretty wide variety of, but since everyting is pixelated it's kind of uninteresting. More opinions, later, I've got to hit the road, but so far the game is More Layton and the rpg thing is weird and interesting but seems kind of underwhelming.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Hey, thanks for the London Life info, Lavender. I'm still trying to decide whether to wait for the EU release, and the voice acting I prefer, or import and get London Life and godawful VAs. (OK, it's mostly Luke that's the problem, I can't stand his US VA.) Is London Life actually worthwhile? I'd really appreciate knowing exactly what constitutes it before I buy, because if it's just a bunch of daily minigames like Farmville then I'll call it quits and wait for the EU version.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

eating only apples posted:

Hey, thanks for the London Life info, Lavender. I'm still trying to decide whether to wait for the EU release, and the voice acting I prefer, or import and get London Life and godawful VAs. (OK, it's mostly Luke that's the problem, I can't stand his US VA.) Is London Life actually worthwhile? I'd really appreciate knowing exactly what constitutes it before I buy, because if it's just a bunch of daily minigames like Farmville then I'll call it quits and wait for the EU version.

From what I've seen of it, it's 6 or so minigames encapsulated in a pretty small gameworld with a few shops that only ever sell the same 20 or so items each, and the ability to go and do tasks for the people in town every time you sleep through a day (can be done whenever, so you can play 8 days in an hour if you want).

The only issue, is that though the two minigame jobs are fun (the scripted ones are incredibly boring once you get through the bit of variety they have) for a little while, even those get boring, making the jobs part of the game kind of lame.

What London Life boils down to:

1. Doing fetch quests for the townspeople every day. Almost all of them are fetch quests.
2. Occasionally doing the job minigames if you want / to buy from the few shops in the game.
3. Filling out your lists of recipes and picking flowers/catching fish. Flowers and fish are all the same except in name (a dialogue box pops up that says You got a (flower name)! and you get an item with that name. it's very shallow)
4. Decorating your house with a kind of disappointing array of furniture, or dressing up your londonite person with clothes (which are also pretty shallow)

Overall I'd say you're missing something sort of charming for a bit but not nearly as much depth as "a 100 hour rpg" would imply due to the fact that the 100 hours seems to be "sleep a day, get newspaper, read newspaper, talk to person, bring person item, repeat for all other newspaper articles, sleep a day, etc". I don't think it's really that much worth fawning over. It's neat, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for london life to have not be included with my purchase, having played it.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The start menu music is more entertaining than it has any right to be. I spent four minutes listening to it and it might have been more if it didn't fade out partway through.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Anyone having an issue with a missing puzzle? I just beat it, and I went back to grab the few puzzles I was missing. I'm now sitting at 154 and I swear that I have done all 155 in the game.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Toffile posted:

Anyone having an issue with a missing puzzle? I just beat it, and I went back to grab the few puzzles I was missing. I'm now sitting at 154 and I swear that I have done all 155 in the game.

Chances are there's just a hidden puzzle somewhere you're missing and it isn't showing up in riddleton's shack because you have access to it so it isn't a 'missed' puzzle.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Chances are there's just a hidden puzzle somewhere you're missing and it isn't showing up in riddleton's shack because you have access to it so it isn't a 'missed' puzzle.

Nah, I have all of the puzzles in between the last story one and 155.

Nothing shows up in Keats, and I already made the rounds with every NPC I could think of.

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!

Toffile posted:

Nothing shows up in Keats, and I already made the rounds with every NPC I could think of.

This may not be the one you're missing, but I recently found Puzzle #18 by clicking on a lamppost near the second Boat Station. There are apparently a handful of puzzles that aren't linked to a specific person (so they don't go into the shack at the end of the chapter) but aren't Hidden Puzzles where you need to click on it ten times.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

Toffile posted:

Do you have 155 itself? It's gotten by tapping the rock formation near the dig, up and to the left of Tweeds.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

WingsOfSteel posted:

This may not be the one you're missing, but I recently found Puzzle #18 by clicking on a lamppost near the second Boat Station. There are apparently a handful of puzzles that aren't linked to a specific person (so they don't go into the shack at the end of the chapter) but aren't Hidden Puzzles where you need to click on it ten times.

That was it.

And that unlocked the final episode. :smith:

Nohtenki
Jan 8, 2008
I have to say, this is by far the cutest of them all so far. :3: Loosha :3: Did anyone else feel like this game was pretty short compared to the others?

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Finally picked up a copy of Last Specter.

So excited to have another Layton fix. :3: What a wonderful series.
Also, London Life. The "Mother 3" graphics just look fantastic, and it'll be great to just whittle away my free time with. :P

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SereneCrimson posted:

Finally picked up a copy of Last Specter.

So excited to have another Layton fix. :3: What a wonderful series.
Also, London Life. The "Mother 3" graphics just look fantastic, and it'll be great to just whittle away my free time with. :P

It's pretty much Animal Crossing in an retro style. Pretty nice to relax with after working through some of the harder puzzles.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I just completed the story of the game (though, ugh, 13 puzzles out there somewhere?! grrrrr), and all throughout, I was expecting some grand, insane twist, but what I was not expecting, not in a million years, was that the specter would be a Loch Ness Monster brawling with a digger mecha. It surpassed my wildest dreams. Best Layton Game. :3:
Loosha. :smith:

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Just beat the game. Never has a game series made me tear up so consistently.

I am really looking forward to seeing what this mask wearing dickheads deal is. I am thoroughly convinced that nothing can top the origin of don Paolo, but since the movie didn't wrap the plot up from memory I be it will be special. Speaking of the film, waiting for Grosky to come tumbling through a window at some point is going to replace having someone utterly improbable take off their mask to reveal the don as my favouite part of the next few games :3:.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
What an :3: ending. So I guess from here it's supposed to go to Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva, yes? I'll have to rewatch that soon, now that I've seen where Grosky and Descole come from. Last Specter was probably my favorite Layton game as a whole, but I think Unwound Future had a better plot (especially the ending :smith:), and the Swordfighting bit at the end of Diabolical Box was awesome, even if the rest of the game wasn't so hot. Can't wait for Mask of Miracles now.

As a side note, is there anywhere to buy/download (like iTunes, not :filez:) the soundtracks to any of the Layton games? Holy poo poo, that credits music is amazing, and the opening theme is really, really catchy.

Arctic Cress
Oct 23, 2010

Play-Asia has all four of the Layton games' soundtracks for ~$27 each.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Why am I collecting these mouse badges and when can I stop?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Level Slide posted:

Oh gently caress I am a terrible Level-5 whore. I didn't know this was already out!

You think you're bad... not only have I not finished the Unwound Future game that I apparently started a YEAR ago now, I didn't know there was a new one coming out until I saw an ad on Hulu to play a puzzle from the new game in lieu of getting commercials for the show I wanted to watch.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

raditts posted:

You think you're bad... not only have I not finished the Unwound Future game that I apparently started a YEAR ago now, I didn't know there was a new one coming out until I saw an ad on Hulu to play a puzzle from the new game in lieu of getting commercials for the show I wanted to watch.

This is exactly how I found out there was a new Layton game.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

raditts posted:

I think Unwound Future has the most :smith: ending. You need to see it for yourself.

And I'm a little ways into Layton 4. I think it's employing a storytelling technique by having a non-Layton character solo all these puzzles in quick succession.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I'm so behind on things. I got the first two games when they first came out and beat Mysterious Village quickly, but got sidetracked away from Diabolical Box by some other game and only finished it about two months ago. Now I need to save up some money to get Unwound Future after I buy Saints Row, and hope to get Last Specter come Christmas. I enjoy these games a lot, even if I'm poo poo at them and basically resorted to GameFAQs for the last third of Diabolical Box, both because I wanted to see the rest of the story and hurry on to the next couple of games.

I'm especially looking forward to reaching the end of Unwound Future because even though I've been careful not to spoil specific points, I have a feeling from what I've read that if they do things right at the end, it could be the first video game to make me cry since the original Klonoa (Stop laughing). I'll definitely need to see the movie, too.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
I love these games and the ability to pick them up, play through a puzzle or two, and then set it down again. Also they are, for whatever reason, the only games that my fiance will play, and she really enjoys figuring out the puzzles.

I just caught up to the last one, however. Are there other, similar style games available that can be recommended?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Zhent posted:

I love these games and the ability to pick them up, play through a puzzle or two, and then set it down again. Also they are, for whatever reason, the only games that my fiance will play, and she really enjoys figuring out the puzzles.

I just caught up to the last one, however. Are there other, similar style games available that can be recommended?

If you have a PC (and I think they were ported to PS3/360 as well, but I'm not positive), Puzzle Agent and its sequel are very Layton-esque games, but they're not nearly as good puzzle-wise (in terms of puzzle quality or amount).

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Artix74 posted:

If you have a PC (and I think they were ported to PS3/360 as well, but I'm not positive), Puzzle Agent and its sequel are very Layton-esque games, but they're not nearly as good puzzle-wise (in terms of puzzle quality or amount).

The style of those are very different from Layton though, if that might matter to her.

For instance, I *adore* Layton but tried half a dozen times to get into Puzzle Agent and just... couldn't. It didn't feel as polished and the style was really unappealing to me.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh I totally agree, Layton is a much better series in just about everything, but I'd be hard pressed to come up with something more similar to the Layton games in overall structure.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Puzzle Agent and the sequel are really subpar in terms of puzzles. The atmosphere is nice (and ripped wholesale from Twin Peaks), but that's about all it has going for it.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Zhent posted:

I don't think there are any good ones, but you could try a book. Like with pages. Look for something about visual/logical/lateral thinking puzzles at your local library. There's no reason your brainteasers have to come in the form of a video game. When I was a kid I had a bunch of books that were basically analog versions of Layton games. I also second not looking up Puzzle Agent because its an awful game.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Really, not that there was ANY doubt at this point in time, but at the end of a Spectre's Call trailer was this little bit.

We'll have Mask of Miracle (or whatever the name is, if it's changed; which it probably will be) in 2012! :D

Last Specter is really good so far, unfortunately I've been busy as hell, so I've only dived about 25 puzzles deep. I can't wait to play more and see how this ones story unfolds.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Ojetor posted:

This is exactly how I found out there was a new Layton game.

I happened to poke at the DS games at Best Buy, saw boxes for Unwound Future that said they were accepting trade ins, decided to look behind them and saw the Last Specter.

Last night.

Oops. :gonk: Bought that in a heartbeat and declared that my most productive lunch hour in a long time. Stopped back at home to pick up the 3DS and the dock and I was on my way to playing. Hooray!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Somehow I completely missed the release of Specter, definitely need to look at it after I finally get around to finishing Unwound Future. It has great production values, but for some reason it doesn't seem as compelling as the first two games. Maybe it's the setting--Even though it still has some surrealism with the time travel, it's a familiar city and feels much more normal throughout.

The two main environments in Diabolical Box actually had a really interesting atmosphere, Folsense in particular. I've played through the game three times even though I remember the answers to most of the puzzles.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
This game has had two huge "gently caress off" puzzles in it. And I'm only on Chapter fourish (Just found the black market....One of the puzzles was the one with the map and the statues and the restaurants and you have to determine which statue to meet at, and the other was the one where you had to find out the greatest angle on a clock where the times have 3 of the same digits in a row). Both of those puzzles made me almost want to quit the game. :(

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What's the best game in this series to start with? The original Curious Village?

Also, how hard are the puzzles? I keep hearing about B.S. puzzles and it's almost turning me off from trying it...

Oh, and how does this series compare to the Puzzle Agent series?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This series is leaps and bounds beyond Puzzle Agent. Honestly, PA is kinda like a cheap cash-in on Layton's popularity that doesn't have any of Layton's variety or charm.

The puzzle difficulty varies a lot. All the games tend to rely a bit to frequently on sliding puzzles, but other than those I don't ever find them too frustrating.

I'd say just start with the original and see if you like it - none of the other games would be better in any way as an introduction and the stories do connect at least somewhat between the first 3 games so you may as well play them in order if you care about that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks!

Is the story a big draw to this series as well or is it mostly throw-away?

• Locked thread