Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
This years ADCC broadcast wasn't perfect, but it was so much better than 2009's. The commentary wasn't perfect, but it was leaps and bounds better than 09, plus the quality was way better and so was the rebroadcasting.

Watching ADCC is so much easier than watching IBJJF events since it's 3 mats instead of 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003
I'm competing in my first BJJ tournament this Saturday, been training for only about 6 months, entered in both the 161 lb and Absolute divisions(white belt, obviously). What are some essentials to bring? I'm going to take a spare gi and snacks+beverages, sandals for the bathroom, a towel, basic first aid stuff, a friend to film my matches. Are there any 'for gently caress's sake don't forget this' items?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Siamang posted:

I'm competing in my first BJJ tournament this Saturday, been training for only about 6 months, entered in both the 161 lb and Absolute divisions(white belt, obviously). What are some essentials to bring? I'm going to take a spare gi and snacks+beverages, sandals for the bathroom, a towel, basic first aid stuff, a friend to film my matches. Are there any 'for gently caress's sake don't forget this' items?

Be prepared to face some jackass who has stayed at white belt for like five years.

Good luck!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
A book and/or mp3 player, because unless it's a small local tournament odds are you're going to be waiting to compete for a good long while.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Joe Rogan talks someone into starting to train BJJ... sorta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_Tp7LP6ciU0

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Chexoid posted:

Be prepared to face some jackass who has stayed at white belt for like five years.

Good luck!
I lost first round in the absolute to "that" guy. I got my blue after that, and he continued touring the country for an additional 8 months winning golds when he was clearly ready for blue even before I was haha

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007

Siamang posted:

You said this under beverages, but definitely water and/or gatorade for during and after your actual matches. I like bananas and cliff bars too, personally. Definitely take enough good, healthy snacks to snack on here and there, because who knows how long you may be standing around before your first match. Good luck and have fun.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003
Thanks, guys. I'm bringing both water and gatorade and sticking with a combination of bars, almonds, and bananas. I lived off these during full days of intense activity and my energy level stayed pretty stable. Got a book and not too worried about sandbaggers. I'll be happy as long as I manage to stick to a basic strategy and not have any major fuckups.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Good luck in your tournament! Have fun! :)

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
I competed for the first time last week and it was incredibly fun. I got a gold medal in no-gi, which felt great because I've only been training for about 4 months, but beyond winning or losing it's such a valuable experience.. I learned so much about my jiu jitsu game and more importantly a lot about myself in general. How I deal with stress, how I'm better than some and worse than others, how it feels to be respected, etc etc. I've never had anything in my life to be proud of until that. Good luck and have a great time!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Siamang posted:

Thanks, guys. I'm bringing both water and gatorade and sticking with a combination of bars, almonds, and bananas. I lived off these during full days of intense activity and my energy level stayed pretty stable. Got a book and not too worried about sandbaggers. I'll be happy as long as I manage to stick to a basic strategy and not have any major fuckups.

bjj tournaments aren't really a full day of activity like say hiking or climbing or skiing. It's more sitting around, followed by furious calorie burning.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Xguard86 posted:

bjj tournaments aren't really a full day of activity like say hiking or climbing or skiing. It's more sitting around, followed by furious calorie burning.

Seconding this. You'll spend 95% of your time at a tournament doing nothing, stressing out and wondering when it's your turn and worrying that you won't hear your name when it's called out on the lovely sound system. My personal anxiety is wanting to make sure I've used the toilet in good time for a match-- but since you never know when your match is up . . .

At the last few tournaments I've attended I've only cornered team mates, and it's been a much more enjoyable experience. I think it's been a year and a half since I last competed myself.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 22, 2011

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003
Thanks for the advice guys, I had a great time. It was a small local tournament held in conjunction with an MMA expo, and most of the competitors were from the school that was also sponsoring the competition. I won all three of my matches by sticking to my basic strategy of doing anything I could to get into side control, exhausting them there, and popping up into mount and/or going for americanas or kimuras after that(boring as hell, I know). At first I thought that the people coaching from the sidelines would give me a major disadvantage, but it wound up helping me predict what my opponent was going to try and I could plan a counter before the coaches could call out their next set of commands. However, it was a little frustrating to be sneaking a choke in and have someone yell, "WATCH OUT FOR THE EZEKIEL!"

One guy wouldn't tap to an americana and I heard his elbow make a lot of popping sounds as he tried to get out of it(he rolled out when I backed off after hearing the crunch but I still won on points). Another guy was able to avoid my sub attempts but I was able to keep on top and tire him out quickly with a lot of chest pressure after managing to pass his guard. I got the third guy into mount early and wasn't able to finish a head-and-arm choke but won on points again since I was able to stay in a dominant position for almost the entire match. To be honest, I think all of them had better tournament jiujitsu than me - I basically haven't trained standup technique at all - but I was stronger and had more endurance, which seems to be the real determining factor in white belt competitions since we all kind of suck. I almost got caught in guillotines twice in the first minute of two different matches but wasn't in much danger other than that.

The best part is that the guys I competed against were really cool, as were the tournament organizers. When we finished matches we sat around and bullshitted for a bit while watching the rest of the fights, and I feel like I made some new friends.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Nice, mission accomplished. Sounds like a good time, glad that everyone there was so cool. Most people I've met at tournaments are that way but every once in a while you get dudes who compete in no-gi in nothing but compression shorts and slam their way out of subs. I blame MMA. Congratulations on a successful first tournament.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Speaking of local tournaments, this happened at one today that a bunch of people I know were at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-b7W9-QK7c :gonk:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I can't actually tell what happened there.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I can't actually tell what happened there.

Watch the right knee

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

colonel_korn posted:

Watch the right knee

That's rough, what would happen in that situation? A NC?

I'm just annoyed because white gi was pretty clearly going for a handshake when captain ballstothewall decided to go airborne :[

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
what was he even going for?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

origami posted:

what was he even going for?

It looks like maybe flying armbar but something got lost in the process?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yeah I think he was going for a flying triangle or something. I don't know for sure but I imagine the kid in black just went through in the bracket since it was an accident and the guy in white obviously couldn't fight any more. :(

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

colonel_korn posted:

Yeah I think he was going for a flying triangle or something. I don't know for sure but I imagine the kid in black just went through in the bracket since it was an accident and the guy in white obviously couldn't fight any more. :(

Who would have thought that jumping onto your opponent with no grip and no technique could lead to injury?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
do a lot of white belts go for flashy flying <whatever> submissions? that seems retarded

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

origami posted:

do a lot of white belts go for flashy flying <whatever> submissions? that seems retarded

I think a lot of white belts don't know takedowns or guard pulls or anything else from their feet anyway, at least not very well. Maybe they figure it's just as well to try something absurd and land on their back in a crappy guard position that they've at least trained from. Especially since so many white belts have wrestling backgrounds; for those of us who don't, it's probably a better bet to do the stupidest goddamn thing possible rather than actually attempt stand-up grappling like a normal human being.

Not that I'm advocating in favor of this; I'd like to stress that's not the case. Hypothetically I'd rather get experience grappling like a sane person, even if it lands me in side control. Not to mention the danger of injury: a guy from my gym got messed up by a flying armbar too. (Realistically my answer to the question of "How should I, as a white belt with no previous grappling experience, approach competition" is "Don't: if you want to pay a bunch of money to not know what you're doing, go get drunk." But I know that's unreasonable too.)

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

McNerd posted:

I think a lot of white belts don't know takedowns or guard pulls or anything else from their feet anyway, at least not very well. Maybe they figure it's just as well to try something absurd and land on their back in a crappy guard position that they've at least trained from. Especially since so many white belts have wrestling backgrounds; for those of us who don't, it's probably a better bet to do the stupidest goddamn thing possible rather than actually attempt stand-up grappling like a normal human being.

Not that I'm advocating in favor of this; I'd like to stress that's not the case. Hypothetically I'd rather get experience grappling like a sane person, even if it lands me in side control. Not to mention the danger of injury: a guy from my gym got messed up by a flying armbar too. (Realistically my answer to the question of "How should I, as a white belt with no previous grappling experience, approach competition" is "Don't: if you want to pay a bunch of money to not know what you're doing, go get drunk." But I know that's unreasonable too.)

**Edit, upon rereading your comment I think we actually are in agreement.

Even if you don't know stand up grappling it's better to at least make the effort. Even if you don't know a throw or anything, you can try to pummel for underhooks or fight for grips which make a huge difference.

The last tournament I was at there were a number of attempts at flying armbars in the blue belt division. I think at least 2 of the attempts I saw the folks ended up knocking themselves out.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I'm just annoyed because white gi was pretty clearly going for a handshake when captain ballstothewall decided to go airborne :[
Both of them handshake at the very beginning of the video...

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 23, 2011

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Senor P. posted:

The last tournament I was at there were a number of attempts at flying armbars in the blue belt division. I think at least 2 of the attempts I saw the folks ended up knocking themselves out.

I love this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhAS4lCEdMo

Like holy poo poo, that dude is OUT of it. (He turned out OK though)

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

man roger gracie isn't kidding around when he says his academy is different

http://vimeo.com/user7552022/submission

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Dante posted:

man roger gracie isn't kidding around when he says his academy is different

http://vimeo.com/user7552022/submission

that video owns hard

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
What was that? I am confused, but it was both weird and wonderful at the same time. Also, Nick Cave soundtrack.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

colonel_korn posted:

I love this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhAS4lCEdMo

Like holy poo poo, that dude is OUT of it. (He turned out OK though)
Look at those legs twitch. Crack a guy on the head hard enough and his brain will misfire for a while.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap board shorts? I picked up rashguards at target for about half of what Jiu Jitsu ones go for and was hoping to do the same with shorts.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Walmart and Target The non-MMA board shorts are way cheaper and also last a long time. Guys at the gym say they last longer than the premium MMA brands.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

dokomoy posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap board shorts? I picked up rashguards at target for about half of what Jiu Jitsu ones go for and was hoping to do the same with shorts.

I just got a pair of these http://www.62gear.com/Fight-Shorts_c_7.html

They're pretty nice. I'd order a size up maybe 'cause they're kinda close fitting but I like them. Much cheaper than Sprawls and I'd say the quality is about as good.

You could probably find cheaper lovely shorts but these are cheap for nice MMA brand shorts.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I just got a pair of these http://www.62gear.com/Fight-Shorts_c_7.html

They're pretty nice. I'd order a size up maybe 'cause they're kinda close fitting but I like them. Much cheaper than Sprawls and I'd say the quality is about as good.

You could probably find cheaper lovely shorts but these are cheap for nice MMA brand shorts.

Seconding these, also I really like the FORM athletics shorts, really comfortable and have no real signs of wear 6 months on.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'm finding I'm having some minor issues with attacking with Omaplatas. I'm extremely flexible and I have no problems when I get my hips really close to my opponent sitting up to finish (while controlling their body) or getting my leg round my opponents arm. I find though that when I shift my hips to attack my leg will end up a little further down their arm toward their elbow than up on their upper arm.

Maybe I'm not securing their wrist properly?

I usually either snatch an armbar when that happens (been very successful with armbars lately 3 or 4 per rolling session for the last few weeks) or look to get a dominant position like side control or their back if I'm quick enough.

Any tips for starting off my omaplatas so I stay tighter. I plan to work on it more tonight and try to get it down better but any advice would be appreciated.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

BlindSite posted:

I'm finding I'm having some minor issues with attacking with Omaplatas. I'm extremely flexible and I have no problems when I get my hips really close to my opponent sitting up to finish (while controlling their body) or getting my leg round my opponents arm. I find though that when I shift my hips to attack my leg will end up a little further down their arm toward their elbow than up on their upper arm.

I usually either snatch an armbar when that happens (been very successful with armbars lately 3 or 4 per rolling session for the last few weeks) or look to get a dominant position like side control or their back if I'm quick enough.

Any tips for starting off my omaplatas so I stay tighter. I plan to work on it more tonight and try to get it down better but any advice would be appreciated.

I like to use a really deep overhook to set up omoplatas.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

BlindSite posted:

You'll have a lot more control if you shift how you think of the setup. I've found that people who focus on getting their leg around often end up down the arm or on the elbow. Plant your other foot and raise your hips up. Mash your crotch into their armpit, and use the back of your thigh on their shoulder to break their posture. Being flexible means you can grab omoplatas from some of the more wonky positions, but flexibility isn't really needed for the basic setup.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

dokomoy posted:

I got 2 pairs of boardshorts at Nordstrom Rack for 15 dollars a pair 5 winters ago. They're still my main grappling shorts today.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Has anyone posted this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t5g8Fuar0U yet? It's beautiful.

Our Gay Sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Bohemian Nights posted:

Has anyone posted this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t5g8Fuar0U yet? It's beautiful.

Our Gay Sport.

I don't get it. Is it supposed to be parodying the people that feign injuries excessively? Or the folks who promptly try to destroy you when you tell them to take it easy on an injury? Or the folks who say lets take it easy and then go apeshit?

Although the other parody's are pretty good...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9RnVqcKdzE&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-RbnuIcuwY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H44OJpuHLqM&feature=relmfu