Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Ironic Twist posted:

So just as a discussion-starter, since it's a Friday: Where did you first discover GC?

I found out about it in the Ctrl-Alt-Delete thread, of all places. They were talking about how the art in other webcomics was much better and somebody posted this page. It was the first webcomic I ever really got into.

Oh wow, that's the exact page and place I got to linked to/from as well! Man that was like almost three years ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Man you guys, I started reading Gunnerkrigg sometime around Chapter 3 or 4 when a friend of mine linked me to it not too long after it started.

That was like, mid 2005. :psyduck: Jesus christ.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Damnit! Stop linking pages! I keep losing track of time!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I started reading it around the middle of Chapter 2, I think the first page I saw was Sivonadine howling while impaled on the tower on the roof. I'd already been keeping an eye on Tom ( :q: )for a while, since he tended to draw pictures of pretty girls in art threads and came up with this design for SA-tan.

So when he came into one of the early comics threads and did his typical "I sort of have a webcomic, you can all read it or not, I guess, that's cool too," I hopped right on board.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I guess I'm the newbie here as I was introduced to the comic by Kate Beaton when she had a link to the last page of Chapter 31 on her comic: http://www.harkavagrant.com/

Ended up marathoning the whole thing over the following summer.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Neil Gaiman linked it in his blog:
http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2006/06/sunday-tabs-etc.html

Neil Gaiman posted:

While sick in bed last week, I got to read what's out there so far of Gunnerkrigg Court, a really enjoyable webcomic, of the kind that will undoubtedly be out sooner or later in paper form (actually it looks the author's self-publishing it currently in paper form -- http://www.lulu.com/content/215167). It starts at
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=1. Lots of different flavours in there -- it's a semi-gothic funny-sweet school story with mysteries and robots and so forth -- but I kept finding myself reminded of the early days of reading Bone. Nice stuff.

Crazy to think I've been reading it since '06.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I believe I started when the old Websnark site linked to it, which I guess was almost six years ago now? Good lord.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm a relative neophyte -- I learned about it when it won Best Comic from the Web Cartoonists' Choice Awards in '09. I read through it pretty ravenously, but then it joined my List Of Very Good Comics I Stopped Reading But Shouldn't Have And Really Need To Catch Up On At Some Point for a while (man there are way too many of those), but then, well, YOU PEOPLE reminded me how drat awesome it is and I started following it regularly again.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

I discovered this comic when Zorak talked about it in the MSPA thread. I thought " oh why not" and clicked the link. 10 hours later, after shotgunning the entire archives, I sent everyone I thought would be remotely interested to this page: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=611. I love me some laser cows.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

wyoming posted:

Neil Gaiman linked it in his blog:
http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2006/06/sunday-tabs-etc.html

That's where I got it from too.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
One of my friends linked me to this page when it came out, and well, how could I not go back and read the entire thing?

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I read it back when it was on Drunk Duck as the featured comic! I'd just started my own comic over there so it must've been 2004 or so. I left one of the many 'omg amazing comic' comments.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Started reading at mid-Chapter 34. I consider myself a very lucky person.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Howard Beale posted:

I think you're on the right track here. He can only pick up on the moment she decides to teleport. It's like having a song in your head and turning on the radio only to find your song playing. You didn't make it happen, but it sure as hell feels like you sensed it or something. Premonition and coincidence are too closely related.

So while he can't control it, he's certainly playing it up because it's obviously the coolest thing ever. Who wouldn't want to be able to say "Bam" and have a cute girl appear? That's what it looks like, doesn't it?

Parley loves it when he does it, because it shows he's been thinking about her.

No, no. His power is exactly the right thing at exactly the right time. When he throws a deck of (shuffled) cards backwards over his head and they land on the floor in such a way that a) they're in a neat stack and b) they're sorted, he doesn't have to think about it. Anyone could do that, if they knew the exact right way to move their arm and their wrist and their fingers and taking into account the air currents in the room and the tiny fluctuations in temperature and submicroscopic variations in gravity and and and...

Smitty just does it by instinct.

Anyone could plot out a way to throw Annie's blinker-stone towards the river in such a way that it would bonk against that one bird flying over there, and land exactly where it's needed to be.

Smitty just hurls the rock in the general direction of the river.

When he's in an adventure sim, the random-number generators instantly provide the simplest and quickest resolution. He doesn't have to think about it.

When he knows that Parley is going to teleport to him at some point in the next few minutes, he could keep saying "Bam" over and over and over and over again. Or he could just talk about general stuff, and he'll only feel like saying "Bam" when it's the exact right moment. He doesn't have to think about it.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
I first saw GC a while ago when one of the random video game comics was up (I think it was the MGS4 one) and dismissed it as just another gamer comic, which I wasn't really interested in. Then I think I saw it get mentioned on the Your Webcomic Is Bad blog (in the "stop telling me to review GC because it isn't bad" sense) before that got taken down. I gave it a second look then and it took me a really long time to get into it, but I'm pretty hooked now.

Phil Resch
May 11, 2006
Goon Through Charity (And Don't I Forget It)

Parahexavoctal posted:

No, no. His power is exactly the right thing at exactly the right time. When he throws a deck of (shuffled) cards backwards over his head and they land on the floor in such a way that a) they're in a neat stack and b) they're sorted, he doesn't have to think about it. Anyone could do that, if they knew the exact right way to move their arm and their wrist and their fingers and taking into account the air currents in the room and the tiny fluctuations in temperature and submicroscopic variations in gravity and and and...

Smitty just does it by instinct.

Anyone could plot out a way to throw Annie's blinker-stone towards the river in such a way that it would bonk against that one bird flying over there, and land exactly where it's needed to be.

Smitty just hurls the rock in the general direction of the river.

When he's in an adventure sim, the random-number generators instantly provide the simplest and quickest resolution. He doesn't have to think about it.

When he knows that Parley is going to teleport to him at some point in the next few minutes, he could keep saying "Bam" over and over and over and over again. Or he could just talk about general stuff, and he'll only feel like saying "Bam" when it's the exact right moment. He doesn't have to think about it.

His power is distorting probability. Jones said it herself. (I don't mean that to be snarky, if it comes off that way. I just think Smitty's powers don't have to be terribly complicated.)

Also ... I can't remember when I got into GC. Must have been around chapter 5 or 6, because I distinctly remember the wait between pages in chapter 7. I'm pretty sure it was one of the earlier webcomics megathreads here that pointed me in the right direction.

Phil Resch fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 5, 2011

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The first few pages. I don't remember how I was linked to it, though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Phil Resch posted:

His power is distorting probability. Jones said it herself. (I don't mean that to be snarky, if it comes off that way. I just think Smitty's powers don't have to be terribly complicated.)
Jones would certainly know all about calculating probability.

Because Jones is an actuary. :ssh:

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

I was linked to the first page of chapter 13 and read forward from there, ending up somewhere in chapter 15. Then I went back and read from the beginning. I'm not sure what year that was.

Chapter 13 remains in my top 5 favorite stories from GC.

Phil Resch
May 11, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Jones would certainly know all about calculating probability.

Because Jones is an actuary. :ssh:

That's extremely unlikely ...

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Phil Resch posted:

In a sense his power is basically being really, really lucky.

Phil Resch
May 11, 2006

Opposing Farce posted:

Could be. I think it's still easier to express in terms of probability, though.

You might look back at each time something has been attributed to Smitty's power, and see which of these two makes it sound less forced when expressing the effect: "Smitty was lucky because ... " or "It was extremely unlikely that ... "

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

dumb brunette posted:

I first saw GC a while ago when one of the random video game comics was up (I think it was the MGS4 one) and dismissed it as just another gamer comic, which I wasn't really interested in.

Kind of funny that you would happen to stumble across it on one of the three or so videogame comics and get the completely wrong impression. I wonder if there are any people who started in City Face and got disappointed when all these color panels and weird people showed up.

As for me, I can remember reading everything when it was just a couple chapters. I was probably linked through another webcomic since I didn't really do all that much with the forums back then. But I almost never keep up to date reading webcomics for more than a month so it wasn't until recently that I decided to finally read through ~chapter 15+.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I got into it around here because some comics review blog that I think is defunct now posted an analysis of it as an example of good art.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
I got into the comic because it was brought up in the CAD mock thread a few times. I remember seeing the pages where Annie is learning how to retrieve her blinker stone from Anja and the weatherbot marveling over the painting of Jeanne posted. I liked the art, so I checked it out and read the whole archive throughout a single weekend work shift. I caught up while Carver was doing the dumbest thing she's ever tried to do. Hooked ever since.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Opposing Farce posted:

And knowing how to run with it :c00lbert:

Got linked to Gunnerkrigg way back in one of the first webcomic threads. Never stopped reading since.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That MGS4 two parter is one of my favorite non-storyline comics in Gunnerkrigg Court :allears:

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

DarklyDreaming posted:

I got into it around here because some comics review blog that I think is defunct now posted an analysis of it as an example of good art.

Huh. In the page after that, why does Coyote refer to Annie as "abalone"? Is there a meaning I'm not getting, or does he just see her as a Sea Snail?

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.
Tom used to have a link button for the comic in his signature here, that's where I found it. I started reading near the end of the third chapter... which would have been just over six years ago, wow. I remember when it only updated twice a week!

Staggy posted:

Huh. In the page after that, why does Coyote refer to Annie as "abalone"? Is there a meaning I'm not getting, or does he just see her as a Sea Snail?

Because "Antimony" sounds like "abalone". I don't think there's any deeper meaning there.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Staggy posted:

:edi:
Always assume that Coyote is joking or being deceptive if he is wrong about something.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I came across the comic several years ago in my TV Tropes browsing days. My memory's poo poo, unfortunately, so I can't recall exactly when I started reading. It's been a while, though.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I came across the comic several years ago in my TV Tropes browsing days. My memory's poo poo, unfortunately, so I can't recall exactly when I started reading. It's been a while, though.

Was it "Mary Sue?"

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

FewtureMD posted:

I discovered this comic when Zorak talked about it in the MSPA thread. I thought " oh why not" and clicked the link. 10 hours later, after shotgunning the entire archives, I sent everyone I thought would be remotely interested to this page: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=611. I love me some laser cows.

Same here, I was craving more epic narratives ala homestuck, thank goodness for Zorak's questionable use of modding powers in the homestuck thread!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

dumb brunette posted:

Then I think I saw it get mentioned on the Your Webcomic Is Bad blog (in the "stop telling me to review GC because it isn't bad" sense) before that got taken down.

I remember seeing it linked in the comments section early on as an example of a good comic. The first time I tried reading it I was really tired so I wasn't really getting much enjoyment out of it. I tried again later when it got linked again and went "Oh poo poo this is awesome!"

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Dodgeball posted:

Was it "Mary Sue?"
If it was TV tropes is even more terrible then I've previously assumed.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

If it was TV tropes is even more terrible then I've previously assumed.

Agreed.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
TV Tropes doesn't allow people to put examples on that page, specifically so it doesn't become a shitpile of people complaining about their least favorite characters.

"Mary Sue" doesn't appear anywhere in Gunnerkrigg's entry or "YMMV" page, either, though. TV Tropes loves Gunnerkrigg Court. Just take a look at their article on it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I read Neil Gaiman's recommendation, but when I checked on it I landed on a confusing page -- which I can't remember now -- but acknowledged that it was a complex comic and I would have to archive read all of it and I didn't have the patience at the time.

About a year later I read a bunch of good stuff about it on TV Tropes, but still managed to ignore it.

It was that year (2007, I think) when I noticed that three times a week without fail someone would post a new page of GC in 4chan's /co/, which I actually liked to follow back then (it was a fine source for good, unknown comics and cartoons) and the discussion was always interesting. It was around the chapter where Annie and Jack get stuck in Zimmy's head that I got hooked and, boy, was I confused but entertained following that arch. Found a bit of time and read the whole thing.

Now I own the three volumes and GC is one of the few comics that won't leave my feed reader.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
That's when I started reading it but because the Achewood reference got posted in that thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Maldraedior posted:

That's when I started reading it but because the Achewood reference got posted in that thread

What Achewood reference?