Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Chappy posted:

Hopefully the Epic Touch will be getting CM support soon. I will miss some of the features of touch wiz, like the ability to slide left or right in contacts to do whatever, but the thought of CM on this hardware is too much to pass up.

That's why you just click the contact picture to bring up the nice little menu that lets you do anything to a contact quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encor3
Jun 29, 2005

Konnichiwa Bitches

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Get Widgetsoid from the Market. It's free and lets you create widgets for just about anything. Some functions need root but 4G shouldn't.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jim2&feature=search_result

Unfortunately the 4G toggle on widgetsoid is currently only supported on HTC devices, but the functionality may get expanded in future updates.

But while I was setting up widgetsoid I realized that the pull down menu on the E4GT has a 4G toggle, so that seems like the quickest non-widget way to currently toggle 4G on/off.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
I have been doing some speed tests, around 15, for the past week at different portions of my city at different times.

Best Ping I got was 580ms around 6pm
Best download I got was 133kbps, twice once at 110am and another at 11pm
Best upload I got was 178kbps at 115am

Evo 3D running stock. 4g is much faster of course as is the ping but only available around 1/5 of the places I go. Are these normal Sprint 3g speeds?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

atomicvocabulary posted:

I have been doing some speed tests, around 15, for the past week at different portions of my city at different times.

Best Ping I got was 580ms around 6pm
Best download I got was 133kbps, twice once at 110am and another at 11pm
Best upload I got was 178kbps at 115am

Evo 3D running stock. 4g is much faster of course as is the ping but only available around 1/5 of the places I go. Are these normal Sprint 3g speeds?

Sprint 3g speeds are almost completely dependent on where you are. Some towers are congested, some aren't. Having said that, I've never heard anyone complain about slow pings, just slow speeds.

I would consider myself in a good Sprint area (Downtown/Campus Madison, WI). Just as an example, I ran speed test and got 171ms ping, 752kbps down and 103kbps up.

I don't test much, but looking in my results and ignoring the times I was on WiFi, I come up with 7 tests spread mostly evenly between July and now. My ping is always about 150-250, my download is usually between 700-1500 kbps (high of 2423), and my upload is usually between 100-200 kbps (high of 747).

There is definitely a problem with Sprint's 3g in many locations, but I've never had issues. Its just a reminder of how important it is to test carriers in your location.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Encor3 posted:

Unfortunately the 4G toggle on widgetsoid is currently only supported on HTC devices, but the functionality may get expanded in future updates.

But while I was setting up widgetsoid I realized that the pull down menu on the E4GT has a 4G toggle, so that seems like the quickest non-widget way to currently toggle 4G on/off.

I have an HTC phone so I didn't realize it wasn't supported for other manufacturers, sorry. But if there's a toggle in the notification bar then that should take care of it.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
As a control test, I'm able to get 1.8 mbps down/0.44 mbps up on 3G across the street from the Sprint HQ in the middle of a workday. I believe this is still on the 'old' deployment (that is, network vision hasn't updated these towers yet), so that's probably about the peak performance you'd be able to find.

Also, with one bar of 4G I get about 5.5 mbps down/1.5 mbps up :shobon:

torb main fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 4, 2011

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

Alman posted:

As a control test, I'm able to get 1.8 mbps down/0.44 mbps up on 3G across the street from the Sprint HQ in the middle of a workday.

I posted actually to see if anyone close to Sprint HQ would chime in. Interesting to see what 3g is supposed to be.

Grumpwagon posted:

Sprint 3g speeds are almost completely dependent on where you are. Some towers are congested, some aren't. Having said that, I've never heard anyone complain about slow pings, just slow speeds.

You're speeds are amazing as well. I doubt I have ever gone over 1mb per second on any device I've ever owned (On 3g). In fact I always thought that if I was hitting 3 times dial-up speeds on any device I was doing really well for myself.

Also in regards to ping, I was very surprised when I hit that 580ms. I just looked at my next best ping and it is 823ms, 1298ms being the worst.

I gave my tests the best conditions I could, being literally miles (sometimes 12+) away from the last time I took a test so I could see better if it was the entire city that had poor speed or a certain tower. And it's not like I am in some dumb rear end middle of the woods town, Tulsa has 500k+ people in it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Speedtest.net native app just gave me 96ms ping, 2.7Mbit down, and 1.2Mbit up on 4G with a tower basically line of site from me.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Just caught my wife using her phone (evo3d) in the shower.

She killes electronics so hard. Fried laptop with tea, killed a netbook.... do I get a lawyer at this point?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

ease posted:

She killes electronics so hard. Fried laptop with tea, killed a netbook.... do I get a lawyer at this point?

Who pays for these electronics?

I guarantee you, my wife and son are worse.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

ease posted:

You can forgive her if she was using it to take naked 3d pics.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Who was she sending them too is the question.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

ease posted:

I've caught my fiance doing this dozens of times despite my angry protests. Hasn't yet tripped the moisture litmus papers, though. loving Pandora.

The workable solution has been to seal it in a Zip-lock freezer bag. Try that, for the sake of your marriage.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ease posted:

Do you mean that she just had the phone sitting on the counter listening to music, or do you mean she was actively texting and sending nude pics while showering? I can't believe anybody would think taking a smartphone into the shower would be a good idea.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Do you mean that she just had the phone sitting on the counter listening to music, or do you mean she was actively texting and sending nude pics while showering? I can't believe anybody would think taking a smartphone into the shower would be a good idea.

Is there any scenario where goons can envision a woman being naked and not taking pictures of herself?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Stunt Rock posted:

Is there any scenario where goons can envision a woman being naked and not taking pictures of herself?
Its what the woman envisions that counts.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
She was talking on it the with the phome to her ear.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ease posted:

She was talking on it the with the phome to her ear.

Perhaps you should invest in a cheap bluetooth headset.

Stunt Rock posted:

Is there any sarcasm that doesn't go over your head? It was a reference to the earlier joke.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Stunt Rock posted:

She could have been posting. Maybe even in this very thread

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007
All of my family's Sprint phones are out of their two-year contract period dealy later this month. We're looking to switch to a cheaper plan, or find a way to get me a smartphone, as I need the ability to check e-mail on the fly or deposit my checks with USAA, as they have a smartphone app that allows you to deposit checks by taking pictures of them.

So my question is: what is the best (cheapest) way to keep everyone on my plan who wants to keep their non-smartphones on those basic phones, while upgrading just one (mine) to a smartphone and getting a data plan for that phone? I hear sprint is terrible for this kind of situation, so because our contract is entirely up soon, we're open to either switching to a better plan or leaving Sprint altogether for a carrier that would be better for our situation. Any help or advice is appreciated!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's no good way to do that on Sprint that I'm aware of - you would need them on two totally separate plans.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

El Golden Goose posted:

All of my family's Sprint phones are out of their two-year contract period dealy later this month. We're looking to switch to a cheaper plan, or find a way to get me a smartphone, as I need the ability to check e-mail on the fly or deposit my checks with USAA, as they have a smartphone app that allows you to deposit checks by taking pictures of them.

So my question is: what is the best (cheapest) way to keep everyone on my plan who wants to keep their non-smartphones on those basic phones, while upgrading just one (mine) to a smartphone and getting a data plan for that phone? I hear sprint is terrible for this kind of situation, so because our contract is entirely up soon, we're open to either switching to a better plan or leaving Sprint altogether for a carrier that would be better for our situation. Any help or advice is appreciated!

Sprint is all or nothing dude. Plug the math with the data plan in sprint and the seperate deals in tmobile and ATT, see who comes out on top.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
http://www.examiner.com/gadgets-in-los-angeles/evo-3d-and-galaxy-s-ii-to-get-ice-cream-sandwich-december

I really really doubt this.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

While I hope true I would also be surprised. Also Samsung don't waste your time with a 3D phone.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

TLG James posted:

I really really doubt this.
Well, it's just like how the Fascinate's Froyo update was to come by year end 2010, and how the Epic's Gingerbread update was to roll out in July

Actually Samsung is still claiming that US SGS variants will get GB in six-to-eight weeks, which is as much of a bullshit date as any other. But at least we have evidence that those are near completion.

ICS in a month? Hah!

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 6, 2011

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
I can almost believe HTC will get that update out, but Samsung? Hell no.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Oh dear, $225 to be able to change WiMAX MAC address on an E4GT? That thread is screaming of legitimacy.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So who's clock when weird this morning?

Teflon Bob
Feb 2, 2004

Wipes down easy!
Mine definitely went from CST to mountain. I wasn't sure why my phone and stove clocks were two hours apart instead of one.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Oh dear, $225 to be able to change WiMAX MAC address on an E4GT? That thread is screaming of legitimacy.

I like how homeboy is like

"NO I'M NOT DOING ANYTHING SHADY HERE OK AND THIS ISN'T THE PLACE TO DISCUSS THAT. THIS IS FOR 'DEVELOPMENT' OK."

As if it were to somehow make someone go "Oh, alright cool." and get cracking on it.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Teflon Bob posted:

Mine definitely went from CST to mountain. I wasn't sure why my phone and stove clocks were two hours apart instead of one.

Yep mine went back two hours and eventually fixed itself.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

TLG James posted:

Yep mine went back two hours and eventually fixed itself.
Mine too. A reboot fixed it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

GORILLA GLASS :downs:

Fuckit, I'm just going to see if the guy can give me a 4s

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

change my name posted:

I love my 4S but it is fragile as poo poo.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's no good way to do that on Sprint that I'm aware of - you would need them on two totally separate plans.

I know it was possible for my family to do that a few years back with my brother's phone -- of course, once renewal time came, my father wanted a smartphone so they just switched over to the Everything Data family plan. (We were also living in an area that has since gone from being an affiliate market to a corporate, so that may also have had something to do with it.)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

change my name posted:

timg]htp://i43.tinypic.com/1j6q9u.jpg[/timg]

3VO?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

change my name posted:

How the hell did you do that? I dropped my 3D from about 4 feet in a parking lot yesterday. I only have a $3 TPU case and my phone survived without a scratch.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dropped it face down onto the sidewalk, as I thought the center of my coat was the pocket for some reason (?)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

letsgoflyers81 posted:

How the hell did you do that? I dropped my 3D from about 4 feet in a parking lot yesterday. I only have a $3 TPU case and my phone survived without a scratch.

It is all about the angle it hits at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
So, do you guys think the Galaxy Nexus (w/ Ice Cream Sandwich) is worth switching for, if your contract is up? I know it's the next big thing that everyone seems to be excited about, but I can't figure out exactly why. Will it really be that much better than the GSIIE4GT? I know it'll be getting ICS first, but waiting a few months for the update isn't that big of a deal to me.