Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fool and the World
Dec 8, 2010
The room was dark. The only source of light came from headlights of passing cars. As their beams crawl through the blinds, the walls are briefly illuminated, throwing all of the artwork tacked to it into sharp relief. Lancing through the murk, a girl is seen in the corner only for a brief instant before the dark swallows her again. Her knees pressed to her chest, she rocks silently back and forth.

"This is not my home", she thinks. "This only a horrible dream. Some day the Captain of the White Ship will come and take me away. I alone have the key. We'll travel to Xil'natha, the Kingdom Beyond the Sea, where I'm their long lost princess and I alone am heir to the throne"

A scream is heard downstairs. The sound of breaking dishes soon follows. A thin cry begins to escape her lips.

"Those aren't my parents", she whispers. "My real parents are the king and queen of Xil'natha, overthrown by Urenka. Those are just imposters, minions sent by the evil queen to make sure I never come back."

Tears begin to stream down her face, as clear as the diamonds that adorn the spire of her beloved castle. As they fall, they only wet the pictures of that lovely land that was first dreamt of so long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Raserys posted:

:stare:

I'm unsure whether or not I really believe this, it's just so goddamn cinematic, but either way it's stunning.

I did sort of ignore all non-OP posts, from what I saw it's average level GBS.

Yeah, hitting the little question mark makes those threads much better.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

ornery bean posted:

Not even gonna lie, Uglynoodles, but after reading that post I took one of the hottest, most exfoliating showers in my life. Reading about Denise makes me feel grungy.

Oh wow, never thought I'd see you grossed out. That's... that's something.

ornery bean
Nov 7, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

Oh wow, never thought I'd see you grossed out. That's... that's something.
Okay, seriously, I'm big on hygiene. If I poo poo myself or on somebody else we take a shower, we don't let it crust over.

Uglynoodles - this is kind of a strange question, but... When Denise's father inevitably passes on, are you going to attend his funeral? poo poo, do you think DENISE will?

Corbid Muriosity
Sep 4, 2011

ornery bean posted:

Okay, seriously, I'm big on hygiene. If I poo poo myself or on somebody else we take a shower, we don't let it crust over.

Uglynoodles - this is kind of a strange question, but... When Denise's father inevitably passes on, are you going to attend his funeral? poo poo, do you think DENISE will?

A better question is what the hell is Denise going to do when he dies? I think she is fully capable of taking care of herself. She is just lazy, immature, and doesn't really want to stop playing as long as she doesn't have to. Will she end up being one of those career welfare collectors living in a trailer park never trying to do anything else with her life or will she grow up when her dad dies, her friends abandon her, and she is left to fend for herself?

ornery bean
Nov 7, 2010

Corbid Muriosity posted:

A better question is what the hell is Denise going to do when he dies? I think she is fully capable of taking care of herself. She is just lazy, immature, and doesn't really want to stop playing as long as she doesn't have to. Will she end up being one of those career welfare collectors living in a trailer park never trying to do anything else with her life or will she grow up when her dad dies, her friends abandon her, and she is left to fend for herself?
She'll probably try to bum off of a different relative or something until she's overstayed her welcome with everyone. Then she'll probably try to sell bead animals on the street, heh.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Wow, that bead story was depressing as hell.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Why isn't someone buying Denise an account? Surely she can't be so bad that she wouldn't fit in with goons.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Tasty and Delicious posted:

Why isn't someone buying Denise an account? Surely she can't be so bad that she wouldn't fit in with goons.

Yeah that would work out great. Personally I would love if someone said to me "Hey come check out this website, it's really great" and then 60 people immediately started in on me telling me how stupid and terrible I was and buying me 30 avatars in 4 minutes and campaigning to get me permabanned instantly, to show me true ownage.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

This idea is never as funny as you think it is

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Corbid Muriosity posted:

I know people like Denise (living habits-wise, not delusional anime princess-wise) that live on their own. I don't know how they do it because they live in utter filth and sustain themselves on instant Mac & Cheese and bologna sandwiches, but they do it somehow.

I used to follow the Reddit thread in D&D and someone was posting gems from a thread about a woman who lived like I imagine Denise would. Here are some highlights:

- Would only homeschool her kids because of her "morals." These morals had nothing to do with Creationism and the like, but rather because she felt that public schools are nothing more than a breeding ground for bullies who live to harass her precious snowflake of a child.

- The thread itself was about her not having time to do anything. "Anything," in this case, referred to playing video games and manga. I'm serious. She was a wife and mom with a kindergarten-aged kid who was complaining because she had no videogame and animu time. Her husband apparently used to "faint" whenever he attempted to cook, so I guess that was up to her as well.

- People in the thread were suggesting to get her life together and have some constructive hobbies. She was indignant that she already had hobbies (when asked, these were, again, playing videogames and reading manga) and only wanted hobbies inside.

I never got around to reading the whole thing, but the tidbits I did see were nothing short of a trainwreck. I'd imagine her house was a sty that reeked of BO and cheap ramen. That poor kid probably doesn't even have any friends :smith:

I don't have a link to this thread (the Reddit one I mean, not the D&D one), sorry, but it is kind of relevant so if there's anyone that knows what I'm talking about you could probably post it.

Blastoise
Nov 9, 2010

Onward, Sancho!
This latest post has actually given me an idea. When I was really little, I made some bead lizards. If I get the job I want, volunteer work teaching art to children, I'm going to brush up and re-teach myself to make them so I can teach the kids how to make lizard keychains for their folks. :unsmith:

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
I may be suffering from a memory lapse, but have we ever gotten details on Denise's Dollfies? I recall the posts where she was saving up, but I don't think we've gotten any details on what they're like. Were they already all painted up and dressed or did Denise do them herself?

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Not a huge post, just an illustration I didn't have the time to do yesterday:

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

I may be suffering from a memory lapse, but have we ever gotten details on Denise's Dollfies? I recall the posts where she was saving up, but I don't think we've gotten any details on what they're like. Were they already all painted up and dressed or did Denise do them herself?

Denise has one Dollfie as far as I know. Unless she's bought more, in which case, well, whatever I guess. $800 was just enough to buy her the 'right' Dollfie who looked enough like that gross skinny character from her yaoi point and click game she loves so much. As far as I know she only buys clothes for it, all of course are completely ridiculously priced.

quote:

What will happen when George dies?

Honestly? I don't know. Probably the same thing that's happening to Chris-chan now that his dad is dead.

Honestly, she will probably embark on a horrifically failed endeavour to live with her cousin. Since her cousin is every bit as inexperienced at life as she is I'm sure it'd make a great reality show.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Corbid Muriosity posted:

A better question is what the hell is Denise going to do when he dies? I think she is fully capable of taking care of herself. She is just lazy, immature, and doesn't really want to stop playing as long as she doesn't have to.

Denise is in no way "fully capable" of taking care of herself. Being crazy isn't an attitude problem.

Corbid Muriosity
Sep 4, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Denise is in no way "fully capable" of taking care of herself. Being crazy isn't an attitude problem.

But it has been said that she hides it from most everyone, like her dad, but shows out for people like Noodles and Kat who seem to tolerate it for the most part. Wouldn't a crazy person not give a gently caress and just let everyone know about her magic sky castles and stuff because they actually believe it's real? I don't know, I'm just asking.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

These illustrations are fantastic and makes me wish I sat down and learnt to draw competently.

I don't think Denise's being crazy is tantamount to her not being able to take care of herself (henriette seems to be doing well as I found out), it's her attitude problems of being lazy, selfish and not making an effort to learn sile life skills like sending mail.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Corbid Muriosity posted:

If she got out more, I wouldn't be surprised if she found some downtrodden dude to glom off of and marry.

She's still doing the "I'm posessed by a demon" thing. The closest we ever got was "SOMEONE HACKED MY ACCOUNT AND POSTED ALL THAT GOATSE, NOT ME."

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Corbid Muriosity posted:

But it has been said that she hides it from most everyone, like her dad, but shows out for people like Noodles and Kat who seem to tolerate it for the most part. Wouldn't a crazy person not give a gently caress and just let everyone know about her magic sky castles and stuff because they actually believe it's real? I don't know, I'm just asking.

Would you believe that there are different varieties of crazy, out there in the world?

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:

Schwarzwald posted:

It seems to me like she's still acting out for attention and validation in the same way a little kid would. She just hasn't progressed past that somehow.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

uglynoodles posted:

Not a huge post, just an illustration I didn't have the time to do yesterday:

You are the gold among the dross, uglynoodles. Keep on shining.

Seriously, these illustrations and horribilarious stories really brighten my day.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Importing drama is a bannable offense, and that's exactly what getting her an account would be doing.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Out of sheer morbid curiosity, I really want to see what this chick really looks like. Is that weird?

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

TShields posted:

Out of sheer morbid curiosity, I really want to see what this chick really looks like. Is that weird?

kind of.

Really i'd say that uglynoodles illustrations are pretty close and just go with that.

loving the stories, they just show how far some people go for things like attention and standing out.

ornery bean
Nov 7, 2010

TShields posted:

I don't think so. I'm really curious, too. Mainly because I wanna see how close to the drawing she actually is, haha.

la_fausse_tortue
Oct 25, 2011

Yes, it's a horsebutt.
We will not be posting pictures of her. The drawings are fairly accurate, as far as caricature goes. Just tone the exaggeration down a touch and it's a good representation. And picture the height at around.. 5'6"? Maybe shorter? Ugly, help me on this. I suck at telling heights that are shorter than me.

I think she could live... as in basic, low-income survival. She'd planned to move in with Melissa. Still plans to, I think. And yes, I do think 'mooching off another relative' is a probability.

Sorry I haven't been contributing stories. It's getting to the part of the semester where everything important is due.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who's Melissa? I saw the name appear a few times but must have missed the origin.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
Did you ever explain how you know that one of them doesn't know how to masturbate?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Ervin K posted:

Who's Melissa? I saw the name appear a few times but must have missed the origin.

Denise's cousin.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
I actually saw a girl on the train back before Halloween that looked exactly like the drawings sans the exaggeration (and also I'm guessing Denise eventually got a hair cut? It looks like her hair is shorter than her ponytail days in the recent drawings, and this chick had long hair) and wearing cat ears for Halloween. Could totally tell from a glance that she was probably an anime fan too. I did a double take, it was so spot on, but this girl was out with some friends, seemed very happy and appeared to be the bathing type (she looked clean and there was also no foul odor on the train). Still though the resemblance to the art was remarkable save for hair style. Seeing her definitely helped me envision Denise (not that I really had much of a hard time before though).

Speaking of Melissa, she was mentioned in the OP and I'm hoping we get to hear some more crazy stories about her because while we've heard some stuff she feels like an enigma to me.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Obligatory Toast posted:

If she got out more, I wouldn't be surprised if she found some downtrodden dude to glom off of and marry.
Or her own little gang of we-belong-anime followers - ISTR whatsername from the FF House story basically got herself cultists to support her.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm pretty sure Melissa has been alluded to more than directly referenced. Kat made mention of her in a post and there were hints of her in uglynoodle's stuff.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

ornery bean posted:

I don't think so. I'm really curious, too. Mainly because I wanna see how close to the drawing she actually is, haha.

I prefer to think of her as the drawing. She is out there somewhere making sparkler dongs and marveling at the mystery of mailing a letter.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Haraksha posted:

I'm pretty sure Melissa has been alluded to more than directly referenced. Kat made mention of her in a post and there were hints of her in uglynoodle's stuff.

And those allusions have all been "she's really nice and it's sad that she's wrapped up in this, unlike Denise who's a total bitch" so I dunno how interesting it would be.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Alterian posted:

I feel like less of a weirdo for wanting to name any future kids with Greek Mythology names.

I've known lots of girls named 'Cynthia'.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

fritz posted:

I've known lots of girls named 'Cynthia'.

That name is from Greek mythology? Woah

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Farecoal posted:

That name is from Greek mythology? Woah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynthia

It seems it was more of a nickname for Artemis.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Just try to avoid Bellerophon.

vvv Provided you don't spike his heels together and leave him for dead on a hill, I think you'll be OK.

redmercer fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 6, 2011

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I'm planning on naming my son Oedipus, I just hope he doesn't try to kill me over it someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

Panzerschwein posted:

I'm planning on naming my son Oedipus, I just hope he doesn't try to kill me over it someday.

That invites all sorts of family trouble even if there is no death involved :stare:

• Locked thread