Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

also I guess I think that hiding the egg under his own rear end means LE is in the vault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Guys, I just realized I've been to Rainbow Falls in upstate New York, where Rose's house would be. Rainbow Falls is on the Ausable River, and you can go hiking up the river and then ride a raft back down to the visitors' entrance. My family goes on vacation to upstate New York every summer, and two years ago we hiked Ausable Chasm. It is very beautiful and not nearly as isolated as Hussie would lead you to believe.

Rose's House

Rainbow Falls, as seen from the bridge you have to cross to get to the entrance of the visitors' entrance.

It's obviously the same place, with the little stream off to the right of the bigger fall.

I love the Adirondacks so much.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

not nearly as isolated as Hussie would lead you to believe.

Anywhere that's forty minutes from the nearest Burger King can hardly be called civilized. :colbert:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Walliard posted:

Anywhere that's forty minutes from the nearest Burger King can hardly be called civilized. :colbert:

I'm pretty sure that's actually the definition.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Guys, I just realized I've been to Rainbow Falls in upstate New York, where Rose's house would be. Rainbow Falls is on the Ausable River, and you can go hiking up the river and then ride a raft back down to the visitors' entrance. My family goes on vacation to upstate New York every summer, and two years ago we hiked Ausable Chasm. It is very beautiful and not nearly as isolated as Hussie would lead you to believe.

Rose's House

Rainbow Falls, as seen from the bridge you have to cross to get to the entrance of the visitors' entrance.

It's obviously the same place, with the little stream off to the right of the bigger fall.

I love the Adirondacks so much.

Looks like a tricky place to build a house. Mom must be loaded.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

QueerPope posted:

She spent $10,000 on an ironic picture frame.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

QueerPope posted:

It's possible if you're Frank Lloyd Wright

Who I am sure would be a terrific SBURB player.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

QueerPope posted:

Mom must be loaded.
Gin is a hell of a beverage.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

King of Solomon posted:

despite how terrible Act 5.1's pesterlogs can get

What.

The rest of your post I agree with, but. Just.

What.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

CidGregor posted:

What.

The rest of your post I agree with, but. Just.

What.

Look, the trolls have some extremely annoying chat gimmicks, and as a result of this, Act 5 is a bit of a roadblock for people, causing them to do dumb things like skip pesterlogs. While this doesn't bother me personally, it's a fairly generally accepted thing, at least until people have read far enough to stop caring and enjoy the story again.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Tea In A Shoe posted:

I was reading Homestuck again from the beginning and found this:http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002745

I'm no good with numbers but would this explain those 8-ball patterns in the latest flash?

Hey so it turns out those other three guides are written by actual GameFAQs top-contributors. Just noticed.

Was just a little of mindblowing to see Chaosdemon in there, I spent a shitload of time reading his guide and shitposting on the board for Magi Nation back in 2001.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Honestly, I didn't have much trouble deciphering he Troll pesterlogs at first and now I can read them like they're a second language. Are people really having that much trouble with them? It doesn't seem particularly hard to pick up to me.

Maybe it has to do with how certain people's brains work.

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol
Act 5A dragged a little for me, because I felt like I had already read it in acts 2-4 and the story had moved on from there by the end of act 4.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The beginning of Act 5 is pretty slog-tastic. No offense, but that was when I really stopped reading Homestuck for the first time, and didn't get back into it for like half a year. No problems with deciphering the logs or anything... I just didn't give a poo poo about the trolls when they were introduced. Now of course I think they're fine, but you gotta be willing to concede a lot to get through the beginning of Act 5.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I absolutely loved Act 5.1 as it came out and was pretty much riding the hype wave to troll city. I don't know if you guys remember but Hivebent was insanely fast in terms of updates per day and, at the time, people were really really excited about it. It was cool! I actually feel like 5.1 is responsible for sort of kicking off the Homestuck fandom as a Big Thing at cons and 'cross the internet, which to me is good and cool.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Honestly, I didn't have much trouble deciphering he Troll pesterlogs at first and now I can read them like they're a second language. Are people really having that much trouble with them? It doesn't seem particularly hard to pick up to me.

Sometimes it's not so much how tricky the are to read as just the annoying mental dissonance they produce. Kanaya, for instance, is fairly easy to read, but inside my head she sounds like a Dalek. That or this one seven-year-old kid who posted for a while on a forum I visit.

Didn't help either that I spent most of Hivebent missing the Kids.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I wasn't having much trouble and then Feferi happened.

Now I don't have much trouble reading her stuff (how little she's talked in a long, long time helps), but at the time I was like "really? This is what we're going for? How is that even readable?"

Most of the others didn't give me much trouble, though.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I have to agree that expanding the role of the trolls like that (I believe Hussie has said that in his original rough outline they weren't going to be followed nearly as closely) did introduce some pacing issues, as exemplified by Act 5 being longer than everything else put together, but I think the story is nevertheless better for it. Wouldn't want to miss the trolls as they are, dumbass typing quirks and all.

(Hivebent was going on when I started reading so it wasn't a problem for me. I could probably relate better to the people who were missing the kids if I'd spent a real-world year following them exclusively.)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

What annoyed me about Hivebent was that it was already slow moving, with a massive amount of info dump about weird alien romance, and then when it was almost over, Hussie threw a fit about people complaining and repeated a bunch of poo poo while having his author avatar yell "HAHAHA LOOK HOW STUPID YOU ALL ARE LOOK WHAT I CAN DO"

Almost gave the comic up right there.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't think that was Hussie throwing a real fit, but his way of admitting "Yeah, this is getting to be some bullshit right here" and injecting some humor. Ironically.

Which is kinda a thing you might have noticed he does.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

What annoyed me about Hivebent was that it was already slow moving, with a massive amount of info dump about weird alien romance, and then when it was almost over, Hussie threw a fit about people complaining and repeated a bunch of poo poo while having his author avatar yell "HAHAHA LOOK HOW STUPID YOU ALL ARE LOOK WHAT I CAN DO"

Almost gave the comic up right there.

It was literally the fastest the comic's ever been, he was averaging like nine new pages a day or something and the storytelling was super compressed. I mean, you may not have been interested in what was going on in it, but in terms of both pace and schedule Hivebent was faster than the comic's ever been before or since.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In terms of time used, Hivebent only lasted 3 months too. As some who archive binged Homestuck well into Act 5 Part 2, I didn't really have that much of a problem with Hivebent.

As an aside, I was just thinking a little bit more about LE and what he means for the comic going forward. Some of this is obvious, but I feel like laying it all out there helps. Basically 100% of what LE has done thus far only affects the Troll universe, correct? "He is already here" has always only applied to the troll universe. That universe had been marked for his arrival by the defect in the pre-scratch version, ultimately causing a post-scratch version of it to have Doc Scratch and thus LE. But beyond the death of that universe, LE can't actually do anything correct? He's free to move throughout time in the universe he is summoned, but he doesn't seem to be able to jump ship and start mucking around with say the furthest ring. What he can do however is get summoned into a new universe. Perhaps this means that the "next universe" is going to be the post-scratch version of the kids' universe. After all it doesn't seem to matter how the universe is destroyed (whether it's by Spades killing Snowman or Jack killing Bilious Slick). Marked for destruction from the get go.

What I'm getting at is that rather than fighting LE directly, perhaps the way the characters can combat him is to simply ensure that he can no longer be summoned into new universes. Prevent that defect from ever showing up. Or at least not showing up in the Bilious Slick that Jade had been making, and escape there.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Android Blues posted:

It was literally the fastest the comic's ever been, he was averaging like nine new pages a day or something and the storytelling was super compressed. I mean, you may not have been interested in what was going on in it, but in terms of both pace and schedule Hivebent was faster than the comic's ever been before or since.

It wasn't Hivebent, it was Hussie's intrusion into the comic to moan about poo poo I didn't care about. I wanted to read about the characters, not the author.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Hivebent had a LOT of LONG logs, which was annoying as I archived binged it, since I got into the thing after the Scratch intermission started. Long logs aren't a problem when you are reading the daily updates, when you are doing that you just want as much Homestuck as you can get. But when reading the archives? :suicide:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

It wasn't Hivebent, it was Hussie's intrusion into the comic to moan about poo poo I didn't care about. I wanted to read about the characters, not the author.

It was like three pages, dude.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

YF-23 posted:

Hivebent had a LOT of LONG logs, which was annoying as I archived binged it, since I got into the thing after the Scratch intermission started. Long logs aren't a problem when you are reading the daily updates, when you are doing that you just want as much Homestuck as you can get. But when reading the archives? :suicide:

I don't get this perspective at all. The logs are, like, the best part of the whole comic. When you're in the middle of a book you're really enjoying do you say UGH I'm only HALFWAY THROUGH what a loving SLOG through all of this ENJOYABLE AND FUN TEXT.

edit: I mean, the troll ancestor journals? All that Mindfang stuff? Holy poo poo, that was fantastic, it always shocked me when people complained about how much text there was.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kakumei posted:

I don't get this perspective at all. The logs are, like, the best part of the whole comic. When you're in the middle of a book you're really enjoying do you say UGH I'm only HALFWAY THROUGH what a loving SLOG through all of this ENJOYABLE AND FUN TEXT.

edit: I mean, the troll ancestor journals? All that Mindfang stuff? Holy poo poo, that was fantastic, it always shocked me when people complained about how much text there was.

Imagine you're watching some really gripping, compelling movie in the theater, like National Treasure 2: National Treasurer. Now imagine that between every scene, they cut in a really hilarious comedy skit from an unrelated acting troupe. It's all funny poo poo, but it would still make for a pretty obnoxious watching experience!

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
The chatlogs may be the best part but that doesn't mean every single chatlog is 100% pure solid gold or that everyone will care about the characters in every log. When I re-read bits for whatever reason I always skip Karkat arguing with himself because it was mostly just annoying, and Karkat is one of my favourite characters. I don't think I've ever read a Vriska log more than once either. Most of the logs I don't like, personally, are extremely long and never seem to go anywhere. If they're long but funny all the way through, it doesn't seem so bad, but that isn't always the case.

I agree with this, fwiw. I hate the author-avatar and the fact that his intrusions get longer and longer every time he shows up is really loving annoying.

The fact that they're only a few pages doesn't mean the criticism isn't valid, it just means I'm willing to overlook things I don't like because I enjoy the comic as a whole.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

Imagine you're watching some really gripping, compelling movie in the theater, like National Treasure 2: National Treasurer. Now imagine that between every scene, they cut in a really hilarious comedy skit from an unrelated acting troupe. It's all funny poo poo, but it would still make for a pretty obnoxious watching experience!

It's a webcomic. It's a medium that's fundamentally about words, with pictures to help give life to the action. You can't complain about having words in something you read.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Gabriel Pope posted:

I would get annoyed, seeing as how I would have given up 10 dollars and 2 hours to watch National Treasure 2. Since this is a webcomic I'm not liable to get worked up about it. Besides very few of the interludes haven't in some way added to the overall story to the point where by the time the next interlude arrives I don't want the previous one to end.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Kit Walker posted:

It's a webcomic. It's a medium that's fundamentally about words, with pictures to help give life to the action. You can't complain about having words in something you read.

Except the words in this case are presented as a body of text entirely separate from the comic itself? It's certainly not standard webcomic presentation, whether or not you actually like the chatlogs.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Tolth posted:

Except the words in this case are presented as a body of text entirely separate from the comic itself? It's certainly not standard webcomic presentation, whether or not you actually like the chatlogs.

And how does that change anything? If anything that makes it more like a book.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kit Walker posted:

It is a good thing I have never, ever complained about such a thing then!

Complaining about random digressions of little to no relevance about the plot is something else entirely, but:

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I would get annoyed, seeing as how I would have given up 10 dollars and 2 hours to watch National Treasure 2. Since this is a webcomic I'm not liable to get worked up about it. Besides very few of the interludes haven't in some way added to the overall story to the point where by the time the next interlude arrives I don't want the previous one to end.

I'm not exactly worked up about it myself. It's an entirely valid critique, though, and while I enjoy it enough that it does not detract significantly from my personal experience I'm not going to jump on people who find Homestuck's flaws less endearing than I do.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Kit Walker posted:

And how does that change anything? If anything that makes it more like a book.

Er, what? Of course it changes things, you've just said that "it's a webcomic" and my entire point was that it really isn't. It's a very unusually told story using more than one form of media and while that isn't inherently negative it is, for some people, a problem.

Dvega
Aug 2, 2006

The most magical song of all.

Gabriel Pope posted:

This is a really bad comparison. Now, if the troupe were already established characters, the hilarious comedy skits were used for fleshing out these characters, and their funny-as-poo poo antics eventually seriously affect the course of the story, then we got something.

Anyway.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005451

In this page we see a cloud mirage of the future with Jack's bloody hand holding Cal. Has that come to pass yet that we've seen and what are the possible implication?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dvega posted:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005451

In this page we see a cloud mirage of the future with Jack's bloody hand holding Cal. Has that come to pass yet that we've seen and what are the possible implication?

Jack still had Cal when he arrived in the troll session immediately post-hand-bloodying.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
When Jack first entered the troll session, he threw Cal onto one of the Aradiabots (who then shortcircuited, time traveled back, got hit by a meteor, and was sent to Alternia).

E: beaten

KoB
May 1, 2009
I think the difference being that we got to know the kids for so long, then we completely threw the kids out the window and brought in the trolls with the longest pesterlogs yet. Its not that its too many words itself, its too many words about people we dont yet care about.

Dvega
Aug 2, 2006

The most magical song of all.
Ah poo poo, completely forgot about that. Welp.

E: Oh look at that it's like 20 pages later :|

Dvega fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
This is blasphemy, but I failed to give any shits whatsoever about the troll storyline (Karkat is promoted to honorary human). Equius and Eridan had some funny chatlogs, but most other troll-on-troll interactions weren't funny or important.

I'm absolutely certain that this has NOTHING to do with the fact that I caught up right in the middle of Hivebent and had to :cry:wait:cry: for the next update.