Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Wife wants a new point and shoot... this S95, can it do zoom while filming video? She needs this crucial feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Eyecannon posted:

Wife wants a new point and shoot... this S95, can it do zoom while filming video? She needs this crucial feature.

No, but the s100 can.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Costello Jello posted:

No, but the s100 can.

Cool, thanks... sucks that it's over $400, though.

EDIT: any other P&S that have optical zoom for video?

Eyecannon fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 31, 2011

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Eyecannon posted:

The Sony HX9V has outstanding 1080p 60fps video with 16x optical zoom and stereo mics at the cost of so-so image quality for stills. If video is your most important factor it's what I would recommend. Should be under $400.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Cacator posted:

The Sony HX9V has outstanding 1080p 60fps video with 16x optical zoom and stereo mics at the cost of so-so image quality for stills. If video is your most important factor it's what I would recommend. Should be under $400.

Thanks, I wouldn't say that video is more important than stills, but zoom on video is something that she says she wants for her new camera. The 3D shooting of that HX9V is cool, wish it had a lenticular display on the camera... probably gonna be another year or two before I get a 3D TV.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Eyecannon posted:

I know the DSC-H20 does, 10x I believe. Can't check at work right now. Coincidentally, I'm selling one. But I am guessing a 2009 P&S is not what you are looking for. I mention it because I would imagine that the subsequent releases would also have retained optical zoom. Mine only does 720p (very well, I might add) - I also imagine that at some point in the last 2 years they bumped thy up to full hd.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Eyecannon posted:

I think many, if not most current-gen cams can. Just not the premium, larger-sensor compacts yet.

Canon sx220/230 can zoom in video, and does decent hd (24fps 1080p, 30 fps 720p). It's now going for $280. The Sony HX9v that was mentioned does much better video - but the Canon takes much better pictures. Also, HX9V is a very slow camera to operate - switching modes takes a few seconds, picture processing, starting video can take 4-5 secs. The Sony is not a bad camera but definitely try before you buy.

(I got a HX9V but exchanged it for a SX230 after a few days)

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

ma i married a tuna posted:

I think many, if not most current-gen cams can. Just not the premium, larger-sensor compacts yet.

Canon sx220/230 can zoom in video, and does decent hd (24fps 1080p, 30 fps 720p). It's now going for $280. The Sony HX9v that was mentioned does much better video - but the Canon takes much better pictures. Also, HX9V is a very slow camera to operate - switching modes takes a few seconds, picture processing, starting video can take 4-5 secs. The Sony is not a bad camera but definitely try before you buy.

(I got a HX9V but exchanged it for a SX230 after a few days)

Wow, that SX230 looks pretty nice... 14x optical seems too good to be true, and it can record 1080p?! What's the catch?

I should have mentioned, that she definitely wants the style where everything basically becomes a rectangular prism, no lenses or weird bits that stick out.

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

Fuji X10 in stock at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/FUJIFILM+-+X10+12.0-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Black/3684985.p?id=1218426413473

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

HPL posted:

That doesn't bother me as much as the lack of information in the finder does. It would be nice to have at least aperture and shutter info as well as something to indicate the focus point or to show the center of the frame since we don't really have any other indicator of where exactly the camera is focusing and whether it's focused of what we want or not.

If the metering is as good as on the X100, you won't miss the info. Shoot in Aperture priority mode, hit the aperture for your usage at the start, and that's really the only thing you'd ever need to worry about changing other than the AF button which has a focus confirm light you can see from the corner of your eye.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

poopinmymouth posted:

If the metering is as good as on the X100, you won't miss the info. Shoot in Aperture priority mode, hit the aperture for your usage at the start, and that's really the only thing you'd ever need to worry about changing other than the AF button which has a focus confirm light you can see from the corner of your eye.

It's not so much for metering as it is for knowing what I'm going to get. The problem with cameras with IS is that you'll want to take a photo in low light, but the camera will automatically select a shutter speed like 1/15 or something because it'll work great if the subject is static because of the IS, but when the subject is moving around, it'll be blurry. Cameras without IS usually don't have as bad a problem because they know they have to have at least a certain shutter speed to get a clear photo. I have the same problem with AF film point and shoots unless they're awesome like the Ricoh GR1 series.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Eyecannon posted:

Wow, that SX230 looks pretty nice... 14x optical seems too good to be true, and it can record 1080p?! What's the catch?

I should have mentioned, that she definitely wants the style where everything basically becomes a rectangular prism, no lenses or weird bits that stick out.

Battery life is not very good, and the screen (while good) is 16:9 ratio. So 99% of the time, when you're shooting 4:3 photos, you have black bars. Flash always pops up when you turn the camera on, and it's in a place where many people put their fingers (that means you can hold it down, though).

I'm not sure what you mean with no lenses sticking out - compact travel zooms definitely extend some (over 2 inches) at full zoom, they just retract back in. When shut off, the camera is only marginally bigger than an S90.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q311travelzoomgrouptest/page3.asp

is a very good, detailed review of the camera, along with direct competitors. Look at other sites to get a better idea of the dimensions of the camera, or better yet, go to a local store to handle it.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
Nice comparison shots between the S95 and the X10 here:
http://www.jpstevenson.co.uk/s95_vs_x10/

The X10 looks pretty tasty, bokeh is very nice.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

krackmonkey posted:

The X10 seems to be better at balancing highlights and shadows. It seems to favour the shadows more than the S95 so you see more blown-out skies as opposed to lost shadows, which is fine by me because I get a lot of problems with shadow detail on overcast days if I don't tweak the exposure compensation.

Bongodrums
May 7, 2010
Picked up an X10 yesterday. Anything you guys want to see/test?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Bongodrums posted:

Picked up an X10 yesterday. Anything you guys want to see/test?

AF in low light, ISO 3200 and 6400.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

krackmonkey posted:

The x10 looks so much better. The S90/95/100 all seem to have this plastic look. The super fine details are sharp, but medium small contrast just seems far too washed out, but then the actual blacks and whites are too contrasty from the limited DR. The yellows and oranges on the S series always seem sickly to me also. I really wanted to like the S90 I borrowed from a friend, but it just couldn't cut it.

The X10 seems to fix all of those problems. The medium details are contrast, there is more bokeh (though I hate how they always focus on things super close, how about some head shots? like real world usage instead of test shots no one else does in real life). And the colors seem 10x more pleasing.

The one weirdness is what's with the solid yellow skies on a few of the X10 images?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

poopinmymouth posted:

The X10 seems to fix all of those problems. The medium details are contrast, there is more bokeh (though I hate how they always focus on things super close, how about some head shots?

That's about the only way you're going to get any half-decent amount of bokeh on a small sensor. And yes it does happen in real-world situations like taking photos of flowers or whatever.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

HPL posted:

That's about the only way you're going to get any half-decent amount of bokeh on a small sensor. And yes it does happen in real-world situations like taking photos of flowers or whatever.

On the s90 at portrait length and it's super slow apertures, sure, but on the X10? It's probably going to give a bit of background blur even with the small sensor, especially with a distant background. I just want to see how much/little.

Bongodrums
May 7, 2010
The AF on the X10 is actually very fast and still very good in low light. I would say the fastest point and shoot I have ever used. This was also one of the first comments my friends made after picking up the camera.

Where would be a good place to host some photos of the EXR modes and high ISO samples?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
So I'm wondering if you guys can help me out here...

My wife and I recently went on a trip to Europe where she proceeded to take ~1800 photos. One problem: the time and date stamp was turned on - so there's a huge, orange, time and date stamp in the bottom corner of the photo.

These were all saved as JPEGs (not RAW) on a Canon Elph 100. Is there any hope of removing the stamp?

Alternatively, if this is going to be a manual process, are there any tools out there to make the process faster? I don't own Photoshop (nor am I very good with it) and would rather not drop the big bucks required for it.

Any ideas??

Thanks guys

Bongodrums
May 7, 2010

Lowness 72 posted:

So I'm wondering if you guys can help me out here...

My wife and I recently went on a trip to Europe where she proceeded to take ~1800 photos. One problem: the time and date stamp was turned on - so there's a huge, orange, time and date stamp in the bottom corner of the photo.

Thanks guys

I believe GIMP is a free software much like photoshop that has a clone tool that is very easy to use. I don't personally have it, but I think it's worth looking into since it's free.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Or just crop it out if there's room. That's probably the fastest of all. I wouldn't be surprised if something like Irfanview could do a batch crop.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
You could set up an action in photoshop to content aware fill them away, but as you said you don't have PS... Got any friends who do?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Thinking about it further, batch crop everything, then go through the photos. You may not even miss those two edges of the photo. If you see a photo and wish there was a little more, you can get the original and clone out the date stamp.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Bongodrums posted:

The AF on the X10 is actually very fast and still very good in low light. I would say the fastest point and shoot I have ever used. This was also one of the first comments my friends made after picking up the camera.

Where would be a good place to host some photos of the EXR modes and high ISO samples?

How do you find the viewfinder, and if you use it, are you ok with it not having any info inside? Can you still rely on the AF to work? Can you see the AF light from the corner of your eye while using it?

Bongodrums
May 7, 2010

poopinmymouth posted:

How do you find the viewfinder, and if you use it, are you ok with it not having any info inside? Can you still rely on the AF to work? Can you see the AF light from the corner of your eye while using it?

Hi. The viewfinder is much much better than all the compacts on the market.
Like you said, there is no data in the viewfinder but you can see the green confirmation light which blinks if it cannot focus.

With such a small sensor, getting stuff in focus is not that hard and I have not missed once using it. All i do is set it to the center point and focus/recompose.

Do it use it? Yes I do, but when you get too close to a subject, it's inaccurate due to parallax. I would say I use both 50/50. I would say the viewfinder is just a bonus. The response of the camera itself is pretty darn good.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
I shot a few pics with my XZ-1 at a gig last night, and was fairly happy with it. These were both taken at f/2.4 and 1/8th, with ISO 200. I'm still a bit of a newbie however, and I realised that I could have cranked up to ISO 400/800 or so. What effect would this have had on my pics? If I recall what I have read, I would have been able to halve my shutter time, and therefore avoid most of the blur I can see on these and others?

Also I turned off the AF light because I wasn't supposed to have a camera in there anyway. The AF seemed to work well in most cases though, would this have had a noticable effect on the focus? The overly long shutter time seems to have done most damage!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Isn't it a bit crazy that the Canon S100 costs more than the Sony NEX-5?

The camera market has gone to a strange, strange place.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

HPL posted:

Thinking about it further, batch crop everything, then go through the photos. You may not even miss those two edges of the photo. If you see a photo and wish there was a little more, you can get the original and clone out the date stamp.
This is an excellent suggestion. Going through 1800 photos and individually cropping or clone-stamping would be mind-destroying.

Where's a good place to buy aftermarket batteries from? Newegg doesn't have anything for my Pentax Optio WG-1, and Amazon doesn't carry anything at all. Pentax brand-name batteries are like $60, what brand names should I be searching for that won't be horrible prices?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

This is an excellent suggestion. Going through 1800 photos and individually cropping or clone-stamping would be mind-destroying.

Where's a good place to buy aftermarket batteries from? Newegg doesn't have anything for my Pentax Optio WG-1, and Amazon doesn't carry anything at all. Pentax brand-name batteries are like $60, what brand names should I be searching for that won't be horrible prices?

We used to buy them off ebay until Amazon picked up on it and starting selling them. If you can get them for less than $5 a pop, then don't worry about quality.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm not concerned about quality if I can get them for 1/10th the OEM price. But I don't know where to look - so, ebay, then? Just search for my camera's name plus "battery"?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That's exactly what I did with my S95, got 2 batteries for very cheap and I haven't noticed any difference in battery life between the cheap ones and the OEM one.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I got some no-name batteries for my 40D and they don't last as long as the real deal, but for the price difference, I don't care. It's not like batteries are the hugest things in the world, space-wise.

Bongodrums
May 7, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

I'm not concerned about quality if I can get them for 1/10th the OEM price. But I don't know where to look - so, ebay, then? Just search for my camera's name plus "battery"?

If you want to try and save even more money, look up the model number of your battery then look to see if your battery for your camera is shared in any other older camera.

For example: battery 50-np may be used in 3-4 cameras made by the same company.
If you start ebay searching for those batteries using the different camera models, you will find that the older the camera model, the cheaper the price for the battery.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

krushgroove posted:

That's exactly what I did with my S95, got 2 batteries for very cheap and I haven't noticed any difference in battery life between the cheap ones and the OEM one.

I found my 3rd party battery lasted about as long - the only difference is that when it died, it died quicker than the OEM.

That said - the OEM goes from 75% full to 0% in about only 30 shots, so the 3rd party isn't much worse, practically speaking.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Has anybody found any good comparison shots of the s100 vs. s95 as far as low light performance goes? I'm still looking at making the jump but I have yet to see any great examples of the s100's improved sensor.

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

Tried out the Fuji X10 at B&H today. A few cons I didn't realize.

• You can see the drat lens in the viewfinder at focal lengths under 50mm. It feels like I'm driving a tank.
  • Manual focus uses the rear dial which is weird as hell.
  • The no AF indicator through the viewfinder bothers me more than I thought it would.

That being said I tried out some of the MFT cameras, Nikon J1/V1/P7100 and they weren't nearly as appealing as the X10. I guess I'm just spoiled by DSLRs and have too high expectations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

MMD3 posted:

Has anybody found any good comparison shots of the s100 vs. s95 as far as low light performance goes? I'm still looking at making the jump but I have yet to see any great examples of the s100's improved sensor.
S100 isn't out yet AFAIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

I am the Naked King of Shoreditch, AND I AM NOT AFRAID!

Gravitom posted:

Tried out the Fuji X10 at B&H today. A few cons I didn't realize.

• It feels like I'm driving a tank.

I'm struggling to see how this could be perceived as a con.

Noticed a new Ricoh GRD came out. The GRD III is still handily the best P&S I've ever owned, although I'd be the first to admit that it fits very neatly in with my needs and wouldn't be for everybody.

I don't know about the GRD IV though; they're still charging that bonkers price for it, and there's an awful lot more competition for great, interesting non-DSLRs at that price point these days. Much as I love 'em, they only make sense to me as a 2nd-hand / on sale / eBay find now...

• Locked thread