Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Mr McDefault posted:

16 lands or am I screwed?

http://tinypic.com/r/260fo8z/5

That deck is absolutely crying for Traitorous Blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Tiny Torso posted:

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=30408

Critique please? I'm particularly curious what people take out of the first pack here, since it's pretty blah.

I'd probably have taken the Ironsmith or the Ghoul.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

Tiny Torso posted:

Critique please? I'm particularly curious what people take out of the first pack here, since it's pretty blah.

I'd take the horde. The spirit is nice, too

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Tiny Torso posted:

You made the same pick I would. My pick order would be:

-Departure
-Spirit
-Ghoul
-Wurm
-Close my eyes and click

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Tiny Torso posted:

Departure over Spirit over everything else.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Tiny Torso posted:

I'd take the ghoul. Horde is pretty bad but if you get set up right pretty good. It has a decent chance of wheeling and you'll know you'll be scraping together some bear zombies at that point. I would have moved into a pretty awesome blue black zombie deck.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Big Sal Graziano posted:

So overall is everyone happy with Innistrad and limited? Because I love it.

I've really been enjoying it. I think I've had more success winning games when I had good common/uncommon base than when I've had bombs (though there have been a few which seem to win the game most times I've drawn them). I've had a lot of games end really closely, and sometimes managing to snatch one or two life wins from my opponents. Things seem to come down to the wire a lot more than SOM or 12th, which are the only other two sets I've played much limited in.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody else going to play in this M12 Sealed in Premier Events within the hour?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Mastiff posted:

Anybody else going to play in this M12 Sealed in Premier Events within the hour?

I will now that you've told me about it.

What's your MTGO name? We can chat.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jon Joe posted:

I will now that you've told me about it.

What's your MTGO name? We can chat.

MastiffPaul

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
I might. Haven't really played M12 though. What are some quick tips you would give?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

I think I did a little bit better this time. Is playing the rats over the zombie bears the right call? Is it worth it to try to be cute and play one/both Ghoulcallers instead of Riot Devils and something else for the chance of getting into loops with the Skirsdag Cultist?

e: thinking audibling to -2 rats, -1 riot devils, -1 traitorous blood and 2 zombie bears, 2 ghoulcallers, and boarding the other stuff back in if it seems better

e2: went 2-1 with that plan, losing in the finals to guy with fiend hunter, double cackling counterpart, and the invisible stalker/cleaver combo. Despite the tidal storm of poo poo spraying from his rear end I almost managed to win game 1 after my mulligan to 4 (!!!) before he stabilized on 3 life. :smithicide: Then in game 2 he showed me the cleaver for the first time, and my sole hope of maybe still beating him, namely racing with Marauders into Evil Twin, got dashed when he showed me that he'd gotten all his other sick cards in his hand too.

I generally feel like I have a healthy attitude towards only blaming my own fuckups 95% of the time, but dammit if poo poo doesn't come up every now and then that tilts me all the way upside down.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 5, 2011

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Well you could add mana to the deck, it is pretty integral part of it :3: (Edit: Seriously though, asking for deck opinion with no lands included is a bit alarming, as mana base is one simple issue where multicolour deck can just go badly wrong.)

You can actually work some playable tricks with Ghoulraiser that might not be immediately obvious, thanks to the wording in the ETB ability not requiring a target. Cast Ghoulraiser and with the ETB ability in stack Altar's Reap it, Cultist it to something, Stitch it into a Homunculus etc. Ghoulraiser hits the bin before its own ability resolves, and assuming you don't have other zombies in your graveyard you get it back for another go.

I'm thinking pretty similar changes:

-2 Typhoid Rats
-1 Riot Devils - a good card mind you, but the slot could use thinning for the Ghoulraisers

+2 Ghoulraiser
+1 Walking Corpse

I think I'd keep the Traitorous Blood in, with the single Altar's Reap and Skirsdag Cultist.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Sorry about that. My mana was Grotto, Island, 8 Swamp 7 Mountain, and I'm not sure what else would have been correct. Mana was never the problem, and as a whole I was happy with the way the deck performed.

Traitorous Blood got brought in a couple of times but in general I was really happy with the way zombies worked, having 2 of each of the corpse and raiser meant that very often I had the chance to go turn 2 Corpse and if they tried trading with it, drop the raiser on the next turn when I didn't have a better play. Pretty happy with the way I drafted and built the deck, I'm not aware of much that could have beaten my finals opponent with the "luck" that he got.

Neat point about Ghoulraiser with its ability on the stack. I actually hosed up the chance to get a Ghoulraiser cycle going at one point, fortunately I was far enough ahead in the game that I wasn't punished for my misplay at the time.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Two turns in a row I had a mindshrieker burn first a burning torch and then an urgent excorcism. Innistrad is a lot of fun.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Just did my second draft and it went pretty well. Haven't played since Odyssey block. Wish I'd turned on draft recorder beforehand for feedback.

Went pretty even Red/Green/Black. Opened an Olivia on the first pack but unfortunately only drew it once. Also got a poo poo ton of werewolves and two moon mists which served me very well. Had one turn where I turned 6 player damage into 16 after they declared no blockers. Was undefeated until the final round where they played their Mindshrieker on turn two in two out of three games and in game three I pulled land or land-fetchers on the first 6 turns. :(

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Shout out to Jon Joe. I bombed out of that Sealed event, hard, but he went 5-1 and is in the top 8 draft in a few minutes. Crack some foil planeswalkers, man!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Mastiff posted:

Shout out to Jon Joe. I bombed out of that Sealed event, hard, but he went 5-1 and is in the top 8 draft in a few minutes. Crack some foil planeswalkers, man!

No money rares, but I've managed to draft a sick blue/green deck and won my first round. Now I'm guaranteed at least 18 M12 booster packs. Hoping to go all the way to first place, 36 packs.

Thanks for your support.

e: Got second place, 27 packs of M12! That's 81 tickets!

Life is good.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 6, 2011

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jon Joe posted:

e: Got second place, 27 packs of M12! That's 81 tickets!

Whoa! Congrats on that!

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
So I went to a sealed PTQ today.

Got a foil Garruk, 3 Victim of Nights, 3 of that zombie with first strike that gets you life when it kills something, Grimgrin, Cloistered Youth, a Rebuke, a fiend hunter or two, two travelers amulets, a silver inlaid dagger and two sharpened pitchforks.

Then I handed it to the guy next to me and got a bunch of blue spirits and zombies. gently caress it I somehow went 4-4 anyways. Mindshrieker is pro as poo poo.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Shavnir posted:

So I went to a sealed PTQ today.

Got a foil Garruk, 3 Victim of Nights, 3 of that zombie with first strike that gets you life when it kills something, Grimgrin, Cloistered Youth, a Rebuke, a fiend hunter or two, two travelers amulets, a silver inlaid dagger and two sharpened pitchforks.

Then I handed it to the guy next to me and got a bunch of blue spirits and zombies. gently caress it I somehow went 4-4 anyways. Mindshrieker is pro as poo poo.

You weren't in Rockville, MD, were you?

I went 5-3 with a sweet Garruk+Geist pool. I could have done a lot better, but I made some poor choices throughout the day. A lot of good players were there, though, so I don't feel too horrible (and the 75+ Planeswalker Points aren't bad either).

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

What a Judas posted:

You weren't in Rockville, MD, were you?

I went 5-3 with a sweet Garruk+Geist pool. I could have done a lot better, but I made some poor choices throughout the day. A lot of good players were there, though, so I don't feel too horrible (and the 75+ Planeswalker Points aren't bad either).

Nah, Fort Worth Texas (until they hold one in Dallas I refuse to use the acronym).

I ended up with a Mindshriker and Sturmgeist both of which are pretty nuts. But I mean my best removal was a pair of geistflames and that sorc that drops a target to the top of library and flashes back for 80 billion mana.

Oh and two sensory deprevations (or whatever the -3/-0 enchant is)

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Shavnir posted:

Nah, Fort Worth Texas (until they hold one in Dallas I refuse to use the acronym).

I ended up with a Mindshriker and Sturmgeist both of which are pretty nuts. But I mean my best removal was a pair of geistflames and that sorc that drops a target to the top of library and flashes back for 80 billion mana.

Oh and two sensory deprevations (or whatever the -3/-0 enchant is)

The expensive sorcery is Grasp of Phantoms and it is amazing.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

What a Judas posted:

The expensive sorcery is Grasp of Phantoms and it is amazing.

Yea but one grasp of phantoms can only go so far against multiple bombs :(

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I got to live the burning vengeance dream at the FNM draft.

2xburning vengeance combined with grasp of phantasms, silent departures, geistflame, desperate ravings and forbidden alchemy and to top it all off runic repetition. Splashing black for 2xcorpse lunge and the flashback on alchemy.

Unfortunately the creature base was rubbish so I only went 2-2 but it was really fun to play. You generate so much tempo when you can just go "grasp that guy, silent departure that guy, flashback silent departure bouncing a guy and shooting a guy, runic repetition back my silent departure" etc etc.

Timewalking people is fun! :v:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
No I'm not scared of your 1/1 flyer with a trepanation blade on it...oh poo poo....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

No I'm not scared of your 1/1 flyer with a trepanation blade on it...oh poo poo....

This is a screenshot of what everyone thinks Trep Blade does all the time.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
As someone mentioned earlier, the most effective thing I've seen Trep Blade do was to keep me from hitting my mid-to-late game land drops.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

The Nastier Nate posted:

This would be amazing if you had the mana to flashback the geistflame.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
That would be amazing, but then I'd be still be stuck with 1 card in my library, 3 mediocre creatures and an opponent at 20 life. The worst part is I had finally managed to stablize the board and expend all my resources killing a 10/10 unruly mob, dearly departed and a 7/6 thraben sentry.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

whydirt posted:

As someone mentioned earlier, the most effective thing I've seen Trep Blade do was to keep me from hitting my mid-to-late game land drops.

Seconded. It seemed effective at that, in the one game I've played against it & desperately needed a swamp.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

In 4-pack, 30 card sealed Curse of the Bloody Tomb is a booomb. I got two of them in this one group and it was responsible for every match, went 3-0. Its erratic though, in the first match I burned a guy's harvest pyre on the very last turn. Since I had two it was in every starting hand, had it out by turn three and then just tried to hang on for dear life. I was worried about the last match because my opponent had kessig cagebreaker, but luckily the Curse got it each game.

Moral of the story, in 30 card decks, mill is obviously crazy good.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I didn't even know that 30 card deck limited was a format.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

whydirt posted:

I didn't even know that 30 card deck limited was a format.

It is on MODO.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just finished up an M12 Swiss, and I seem to have received 2 copies of every card I drafted. Is that a known issue? I drafted a Primeval Titan and I'm kind of hoping I get to keep the duplicate...

e: Oh, nevermind. I can only put 1 up for trade, so it must be a display error.

resting bort face fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 7, 2011

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010

Mastiff posted:

I just finished up an M12 Swiss, and I seem to have received 2 copies of every card I drafted. Is that a known issue? I drafted a Primeval Titan and I'm kind of hoping I get to keep the duplicate...

It's worth checking if you can put both in your decks. I could when the same happened to me.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Mastiff posted:

Yeah I had the same when I opened a Liliana. I was almost gigging in glee as I tried to set both to tradable. No dice :(

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Its a bug, hit the reset button or relogin, the extra copy won't be there. Or, if you try to build a deck, it won't let you play because it says you're missing a card. Has happened to me a few times, once before I realized what it was and thought for some reason my collection lost some cards when it reset. Customer service set me straight.

dsnordyk
Aug 27, 2007
So I went to a PTQ this past weekend in MI (two to be precise, they were running them back to back days) and finished 3rd/4th on Sunday.

Sunday's pool was ridiculous with two Angel of Flight Alabaster, Geist of Saint Traft, Evil Twin, and Sever the Bloodline. Lost in the second round and then won out. (technically 6-1-1.. paired down in the last round for a win and in against someone who drew earlier and was still in contention, but when the next pair up of x-1s had to play it out instead of draw and they finished before we did... I gave the draw to him with a commanding position in game 2 having won the first to lock him into top 16 and me into top 8.)

Draft couldn't have gone much better. I went in willing to force g/w aggro tokens and opened a Gavony Township. The token makers never came, but I had an aggressive deck with several bombs to mop up. Cards in my pool included 2x Blazing Torch, Kessig Wolf-Run, Gavony Township, Avacyn Priest, Mayor of Avabruck... and a Garruk Relentless.... that was passed to me pack 3...

After the long day I played kinda sloppy in both rounds. The first round I pulled out 2-1 on the back of an Mayor games 2 and 3. The second I lost 2-0. The first game saw it fairly even until I was crushed by a geist honored monk. The second I lost after faltering for a while at 4 lands and barely failed to stabilize and reassert when he came out faster with tokens.

Bombs are good, drawing them is better. :) I maybe get out to 1 or 2 PTQs if I'm lucky every year so overall a lot of fun and a box for my troubles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Just played against the most absurdly synergistic deck I've ever seen in INN limited. My deck was pretty good, and I opened Liliana so that feels good, but this dude's deck was awesome. And he was nice to play against, unlike most MODO jerks.

Guy had 3 spider spawnings, at least 2x mulch, boneyard wurms, every possible sac outlet, nephalia drowned, and a garruk (just to top it off).

(I won 2-1 because of ol' unblockable hexproof man and 2x rage thrower :3, eventually going 3-0 in the draft.)