Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Sockser posted:

Holy crap, where is this, when will it be done? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Pyroclastic posted:

As for cleaning bricks, check out the instructions on Retr0Bright. That dinginess may not necessarily be just dirt and cigarette smoke.

I vaguely remember hearing that Oxy-Clean by itself works good for cleaning large batches of Lego, but don't quote me on that.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Pyroclastic posted:

As for cleaning bricks, check out the instructions on Retr0Bright. That dinginess may not necessarily be just dirt and cigarette smoke.

Yeah, I saw Retr0Bright, but I'm not sure I want to play with that much peroxide with my daughter around. I'm positive that I have dirt and tar on them, though, because they do come clean, it just takes a lot of scrubbing. (And also because my parents were/are heavy smokers and the bricks were sitting in the garage for a decade.) I'm going to try letting them soak in some dish water for a few hours at a higher concentration to see if it will break up any more.

Other than that, it's probably just going to be a lot of toothbrush work. :shobon:

e:^^^^ Well, I may have to try that then. I know the Retr0Bright method helps to counteract the UV damage in the ABS, and that's not really the problem I have.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 4, 2011

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
I received a message from the seller today about the crushed box, He has agreed to allow me to return it, and once shipped back he will refund my money.

I'm just gonna say no thanks and move on.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 4, 2011

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Saw a couple of people on the last page complaining about speculators... I understand the complaint, but honestly, supply and demand is pretty self regulating, specially in a market where new product is likely to change (3rd party) hands once. If too many people hoard out of pure speculation, a bubble will form, and at some point, pop.

I think we are already seeing some of this (some lines more then others). Let's look at an example.

I am interesting in buying a Technic Motorized Excavator (8043), which retails for $199.99. It is still available on the Lego website for full price. Amazon sells it for $192.17 with Super Saver shipping. 29 different Amazon affiliates also sell it, for between $169.00 and $399.99, shipping included.

Top Bricklink listing a shop in Holland with 48 of them in stock, for $144.43.

Of course, the REAL prices are on Bricklink... this reeks of bubble to me. People bought too many; 48 is WAY too many to be sitting on.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I learned about speculation the hard way when I was ten.

Would anyone be interested in some circa 1995 Princess Leia figure?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I learned about speculation the hard way when I was ten.

Would anyone be interested in some circa 1995 Princess Leia figure?

Man, my baseball cards. Shoeboxes full, now all gone. Thousands of nameless players that didn't make it two years, hundreds that played or still play and ought to be worth a ton, but are now worth barely more than they pack they came out of. Tim Salmon, why couldn't you be worth more?

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
I need some help with Lego Digital Designer.

I have these 'Left plate 2x4 with angle' bits, and the seemingly simple thing I want is to lay them straight edge to angle edge to make a rough curve. I seem to be limited to 90 degree increments. I've tried a bunch of stuff, and I'd appreciate any suggestions.

A Child's Letter
Feb 21, 2005

"¡No llores! Gracias por esas fotos."
\
:backtowork:

Schindler's Fist posted:

I need some help with Lego Digital Designer.

I have these 'Left plate 2x4 with angle' bits, and the seemingly simple thing I want is to lay them straight edge to angle edge to make a rough curve. I seem to be limited to 90 degree increments. I've tried a bunch of stuff, and I'd appreciate any suggestions.

One cheap thing you could try is put a plate beneath the "wing" you want to rotate, connecting only on one stud; then use the hinge tool to drag the wing around. When it's in place, delete the "anchor" plate. I've done similar before.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Holy crap, where is this, when will it be done? :stare:

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Sockser posted:

#occupybrickstreet

So its absolutely no help my job just so happened to get some Series 5 Minifigs as part of their crappy seasonal aisle. I'd feel bad but I got a Godzilla dude so I'm just going to feed this addiction.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

A Child's Letter posted:

One cheap thing you could try is put a plate beneath the "wing" you want to rotate, connecting only on one stud; then use the hinge tool to drag the wing around. When it's in place, delete the "anchor" plate. I've done similar before.

Thanks very much.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I don't think anyone here still plays it, but Lego Universe is shutting down. It's a shame that the experiment ended badly, but it just wasn't a very good game. It looks like NetDevil's touch-of-death is just inescapable.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
For one day only, Toys R Us is having a Buy One Get One 50% off thing. Excludes Ninjago, Pirates of the Caribbean and Mindstorms. But yes for Star Wars!

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Pyroclastic posted:

I don't think anyone here still plays it, but Lego Universe is shutting down. It's a shame that the experiment ended badly, but it just wasn't a very good game. It looks like NetDevil's touch-of-death is just inescapable.

Well that was quick. I played it for a few minutes (the free version of course), it wasn't very good. It felt like it had potential, like I'd definitely try a future Lego online game after playing this one just...I wouldn't play this one.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
There's a Lego game coming out in 2012 that sounds like it has a lot more potential. Lego City Stories, exclusive to Nintendo consoles, will essentially be a family-friendly Grand Theft Auto. I'm looking forward to it.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
Will it come out on 3DS? Because I've been thinking about selling my Wii but I might hang on to it a bit longer if it's not.

e: or will it be out on the WiiU instead of Wii? Because I don't think I'm buying one of those.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like that it's not only Grand Theft Auto-ey, but the name might also be a reference to Liberty City Stories, one of the GTA games. :v:

If you can harvest bricks off of buildings for use building things later, that would be absolutely incredible and encourage exploration.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.

Revol posted:

There's a Lego game coming out in 2012 that sounds like it has a lot more potential. Lego City Stories, exclusive to Nintendo consoles, will essentially be a family-friendly Grand Theft Auto. I'm looking forward to it.

What the hell, why is the building he's standing on made of wood/cement? I never got that with the LEgo *movie* games either, the barest minimum parts of the environment were Lego.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

boner meter posted:

What the hell, why is the building he's standing on made of wood/cement? I never got that with the LEgo *movie* games either, the barest minimum parts of the environment were Lego.

Yeah, that was my biggest complaint too. It's Lego, make things Lego. Say what you will about Lego Island but at least it was mostly made of Lego.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Pyroclastic posted:

Oh man I was so excited when I got into the closed beta for LU. By the time the game came out, though, there was no chance in hell of me spending money to actually buy it. What a poorly done game.

e: if I recall correctly most stuff was at least made of legos though. It was really lazy in some of the desert levels in Lego Star Wars where everything was just a generic desert level but with some plates way over there where you need to build something.

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 5, 2011

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

GidgetNomates posted:

Will it come out on 3DS? Because I've been thinking about selling my Wii but I might hang on to it a bit longer if it's not.

e: or will it be out on the WiiU instead of Wii? Because I don't think I'm buying one of those.

It'll be Wii U and 3DS.

Bounded Empire
Apr 26, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

For one day only, Toys R Us is having a Buy One Get One 50% off thing. Excludes Ninjago, Pirates of the Caribbean and Mindstorms. But yes for Star Wars!

Thanks for this. I picked up the Millennium Falcon, AT-AT, Palpatine's Shuttle, and Darth Maul's Infiltrator for $310. It came out to just less than 10 cents/brick (this is about average right?).

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
drat my store didn't have anything nearly as cool in the Star Wars section, but I did get the big house Creator set and the big Kingdoms set for about $100.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!
I've been following this thread for a while, and never really had anything to post, but now I landed myself a gig at my local LEGO store, and I can't wait to buy a million LEGO sets to start building up my collection!

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
I went to TRU today too. I got the fire truck from City and the Creator lighthouse (the big one, not the $5 or whatever one (because I already have it (I like lighthouses))). I was REALLY impressed with the lighthouse. The fire truck was just sort of whatever but it was nice and the discount was a good addition. I was drooling in the store though because they finally put out all the expensive stuff in huge boxes. Can't wait for my birthday to roll around...

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Some deals I just noticed online
Target has the sort and store head for $25
http://www.target.com/p/Lego-Sort-n-Store/-/A-13718711#?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=|13718711&CPNG=&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=13718711

Amazon has Queen Anne's Revenge for $84
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004MWK2C8

(and Black Pearl for $90, less of a discount)
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Pirates-Caribbean-Black-Pearl/dp/B004ZFF3CQ/ref=pd_sim_t_1

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Target has a few good deals going on right now. Some of the games are discounted. Castle Fortaan is $20 down from $30 and Ramses Return is $7.50, normally 15, I think.

The best deal, though, is their $4 polybags. They have a couple SW ones, a City helicopter, an Atlantis diver, and a Ninjago glider. They're all currently $1.19. The SW ones are ~40 pieces, so it's a pretty sweet deal. They keep most of them by the registers, it seems, but there are also some in Toys and in Seasonal.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure the reason they do "real stuff" and Lego at the same time in the video games is so you know what you can or can not interact with. It's not 100% the case, but that seems to be it's primary purpose.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

boner meter posted:

It's not entirely terrible. If like I said they made Lego elements harvestable from various buildings(bonus if they're randomly generated), I wouldn't mind the buildings themselves being normal materials as long as they had some Lego stuff on them.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Saint Sputnik posted:

Some deals I just noticed online
Target has the sort and store head for $25
http://www.target.com/p/Lego-Sort-n-Store/-/A-13718711#?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=|13718711&CPNG=&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=13718711

Amazon has Queen Anne's Revenge for $84
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004MWK2C8

(and Black Pearl for $90, less of a discount)
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Pirates-Caribbean-Black-Pearl/dp/B004ZFF3CQ/ref=pd_sim_t_1

I am extremely tempted to purchase a ship, but my stingy financial tendencies are holding me back.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

IronSaber posted:

I am extremely tempted to purchase a ship, but my stingy financial tendencies are holding me back.

What good is money if you aren't going to spend it? :colbert:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
drat, I hesitated. Price went up to 15% off. :(

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Castle fans will appreciate this setup in the window of Frontline Hobbies, Newcastle.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

IronSaber posted:

We got Queen Anne's Revenge when it was on sale at Toys R Us a few weeks back. Do it. It's soooo worth it.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
I made this for Remembrance Day cuz why not.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Faerunner posted:

We got Queen Anne's Revenge when it was on sale at Toys R Us a few weeks back. Do it. It's soooo worth it.

I was tempted but the buy one get 50% off didn't apply to PotC this weekend. :(

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Have base plates been completely removed from LDD? Even Universe mode doesn't seem to have them.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Where is the best place to find sets without minifigs? I figure that'd make them cheaper. Is eBay my best bet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So today I did something I've been meaning to do for a while. I built a new light box out of Lego. I've wanted to do one of these pretty much since I built my old wooden light box and it turned out to be a flimsy piece of crap.

It's 53x41 studs. It bugs me that it's such odd numbers but I had to size it to the pane of glass I already had.

It's a total rainbow warrior but that's what I had to work with. I might order some solid color bricks to jazz it up a little bit in the future but for now it works and is sturdier than my wooden box was.