Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
Hi thread!

I finally gave up on the story right in the middle of the "Try to make sense of this mess yourself" sequence, because I realized I no longer had any idea what was actually happening when. Since that time, my friends' enthusiasm for the EOA5 flash got me to try it again, and I just finished rereading from the start (with many trips to the wiki). I'm back in the groove and looking forward to more, but the experience really helped me boil down my periodic frustration with the comic into two very specific points.

1. Dream bubbles and the Furthest Ring

The Furthest Ring and everything that goes on there just isn't explained nearly well enough in the comic. The last several times I read through I tried very hard to pay attention, and I still didn't even realize those were a thing that existed until reading the wiki.

This time around, I did catch the references, but wow is there really not enough elaboration. Given how much time the story spends in dream bubbles, which basically throw the entire concept of chronology under a loving train, it needed to be made way more explicit what was going on. I'm talking an actual sequence devoted to explaining their mechanics, not just an offhanded comment from Feferi while our attention is primarily focused on Jade's trauma. Act 5.2, and particularly the time in Scratch's house, is more or less completely incomprehensible otherwise.

2. The chatlogs are too drat long

Note that I'm not saying there are too many chatlogs, or that there is too much text. I think the majority of them are funny, they reveal a lot of character in a little space, and the text gimmicks are annoying but not a deal-breaker. What I realized, though, is that each individual pesterlog is too long. If each one were broken up over multiple pages, even if the image at the top didn't change very much, it would be a hell of a lot easier to take in all the information.

It boils down to an issue of chunking. When presented with a literal wall of text, the brain gets fatigued. It's significantly harder to force yourself to read 2,000 words in a single unbroken column of text than it would be to read them broken into four 500-word "paragraphs," and you retain a lot less of the information.

It also doesn't help that a lot of the really long chatlogs have sections of random chatter (and/or painfully lame rap battles) with key information hidden right afterwards. I'm thinking particularly of this page here, which has a (to me) super-boring rap battle that I skimmed over, only to reach the next page and wonder why Tavros is all weirded out. Hey, turns out something important happened in, like, the last three lines! Why couldn't everything after the battle proper have been on its own page?

On balance, I think it's a very good comic -- I don't mind that it takes some effort to fully appreciate, it's just that a few simple changes would make it take much less of that concentrated effort.

(I apologize if any of this is rehashing old debates, but I have no hope of catching up with all the thread history.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

KoB posted:

I think the difference being that we got to know the kids for so long, then we completely threw the kids out the window and brought in the trolls with the longest pesterlogs yet. Its not that its too many words itself, its too many words about people we dont yet care about.

Well, it's not like it came completely out of left field. Homestuck started out as a story with one protagonist, his father and his IM buddies/trolls. Then ALL three of his IM buddies got a full introduction and we didn't hear about John for a while. Then we get introduced to some more characters (Sweet bro, Hella Jeff, Geromy, Sweet Bro's mom) in a completely different story that updates along with the main storyline. A while later we meet the "exiles" in a storyline set sometime in the future. We also get introduced to the Derse agents, the white and black king and queen, and probably some more I forgot about. Then we get the Midnight crew intermission and TWENTY new characters (4 midnight crew, 15 felt + the mention of Lord English). Somewhere along the way the author even writes himself into the story. All of this happened before act 5, right?

If someone seriously thinks they were reading a story about four kids then suddenly twelve trolls were thrown into the mix, they need to go back and read it over again.

For all it's worth, you're allowed to not like the way the story is told. It's not for everybody, like the layout and presentation of House of Leaves, the extra reading materials of Watchmen, or the non-linear storytelling of Pulp Fiction. But I don't get why people think Hivebent was a big change in direction for Homestuck.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

kjetting posted:

Well, it's not like it came completely out of left field. Homestuck started out as a story with one protagonist, his father and his IM buddies/trolls. Then ALL three of his IM buddies got a full introduction and we didn't hear about John for a while. Then we get introduced to some more characters (Sweet bro, Hella Jeff, Geromy, Sweet Bro's mom) in a completely different story that updates along with the main storyline. A while later we meet the "exiles" in a storyline set sometime in the future. We also get introduced to the Derse agents, the white and black king and queen, and probably some more I forgot about. Then we get the Midnight crew intermission and TWENTY new characters (4 midnight crew, 15 felt + the mention of Lord English). Somewhere along the way the author even writes himself into the story. All of this happened before act 5, right?

If someone seriously thinks they were reading a story about four kids then suddenly twelve trolls were thrown into the mix, they need to go back and read it over again.

For all it's worth, you're allowed to not like the way the story is told. It's not for everybody, like the layout and presentation of House of Leaves, the extra reading materials of Watchmen, or the non-linear storytelling of Pulp Fiction. But I don't get why people think Hivebent was a big change in direction for Homestuck.

But most of those characters were introduced in a way that related them to already existing characters or the story. Like, three of the trolls were given screen time before hivebent.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Again, its not just :words: or new characters. It the most words yet along with (basically) new characters for months.

I think its fine but I can completely understand why people could thing its a huge slog.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Here's a depressing thought, Terezi's probably going to tell John that she offed Vriska when they meet up. Either that or John is going to see Vriska's dead body on the meteor. :smith:

I know it's going to happen, I just hope it happens after they take care of English.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Kakumei posted:

I don't get this perspective at all. The logs are, like, the best part of the whole comic. When you're in the middle of a book you're really enjoying do you say UGH I'm only HALFWAY THROUGH what a loving SLOG through all of this ENJOYABLE AND FUN TEXT.

edit: I mean, the troll ancestor journals? All that Mindfang stuff? Holy poo poo, that was fantastic, it always shocked me when people complained about how much text there was.

This is basically me. Are you me?

Seriously, I'm always baffled when people say they don't like the long chatlogs, in any context or presentation, like having to READ like it's a BOOK is a bad thing. The longer the better, I say. To call these chatlogs a wall of text, no matter how chock full they are of solid comedic gold, I......I don't even know what to say to that. It's like people don't read books anymore.

I also don't agree with the idea that the problem is individual pesterlogs are too long, rather than broken up over several pages. It's the exact same amount of reading, whether you're getting to the next bit by scrolling down or clicking the next button is irrelevant.

vvv EDIT:

Oxxidation posted:

Well, they kinda don't. You can be sad now.
It's not as bad as you'd think, Kindles and e-books are really popular lately.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 6, 2011

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CidGregor posted:

Seriously, I'm always baffled when people say they don't like the long chatlogs, in any context or presentation, like having to READ like it's a BOOK is a bad thing. The longer the better, I say. To call these chatlogs a wall of text, no matter how chock full they are of solid comedic gold, I......I don't even know what to say to that. It's like people don't read books anymore.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
I think the MindFang journal stuff was a bit much (wasn't the length, just the way it was written), but the long pesterlogs were fine. Watching Karkat yell at his past, present, and future selves was great.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

The only person I know personally who liked Homestuck recently pretty much gave up on it because he "[doesn't] like reading," which is pretty sad.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Occultatio posted:

1. Dream bubbles and the Furthest Ring

The Furthest Ring and everything that goes on there just isn't explained nearly well enough in the comic. The last several times I read through I tried very hard to pay attention, and I still didn't even realize those were a thing that existed until reading the wiki.

This time around, I did catch the references, but wow is there really not enough elaboration. Given how much time the story spends in dream bubbles, which basically throw the entire concept of chronology under a loving train, it needed to be made way more explicit what was going on. I'm talking an actual sequence devoted to explaining their mechanics, not just an offhanded comment from Feferi while our attention is primarily focused on Jade's trauma. Act 5.2, and particularly the time in Scratch's house, is more or less completely incomprehensible otherwise.

There's a decent-sized bit starting here that explains/demonstrates the whole Dreambubble deal and how the characters are making use of them pretty well. Honestly, I'm not sure how you could get through that and not know that they're a thing.

VWVWV
Jan 19, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

The only person I know personally who liked Homestuck recently pretty much gave up on it because he "[doesn't] like reading," which is pretty sad.

If it makes you feel any better, my friend and I (high school students) think the pesterlogs are the best part. :unsmith:

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
So I've been reading through the archives and I found this page featuring the machine Jack used to get into the Troll's session. It looks like the machine has two settings. If the setting it was on when Jack left was able to send people outside of the frog, what if the other setting took the frog inside itself? Thereby protecting it from anyone who wouldn't be committing suicide by attacking it? Or maybe it just takes things from the session that created the frog and brings them inside it?

If it's the latter, than assuming that Jack never interfered with the kid's session, then the machine would be a method of travelling between the homeland and the colonies of the destroyed planet.

While the players go play the game and make new universes, the carapace people go colonize their old planet and make it into part of a greater carapace empire. Then they can go visit their fellow carapace in the session that made the universe they're inhabiting, and use the entrance from that session to get back in.

Sure, technically it's not their homeland since it's a different session, but they're still Prospit and Derse so it would be pretty freaking similar. Especially when you consider that certain people have exact duplicates living there.

So if the troll and kid's sessions didn't completely go crazy, then the White Queen from Earth could establish a colony like Canada or something, and then send envoys to the troll's Prospit for trade and diplomacy, as well as a way of telling them to come help terraform and colonize Earth. Eventually Earth becomes a fully hospitable world again and because SBURB has already run its course the world won't be destroyed again. So then if this theory held ground, the purpose of the Exiles wouldn't be to just mess around and fix time loops, but to actually establish the true society that is to continue prospering in the worlds created by SBURB.

Humans and trolls weren't really meant to use the planets for very long, in the end they are destined to be inhabited by carapace.

An interesting theory, right?

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

aegof posted:

There's a decent-sized bit starting here that explains/demonstrates the whole Dreambubble deal and how the characters are making use of them pretty well. Honestly, I'm not sure how you could get through that and not know that they're a thing.

Because that bit doesn't explain anything -- it makes perfect sense if you already understand dream bubbles, but otherwise the very first page is incredibly confusing. For instance: "whose memory is what? What are you looking at?" And then we're inside the bubble with no further context.

Ultimately, all I can tell you is that I read through the story multiple times, attempting to follow everything, and still didn't pick up on dream bubbles. There are a number of ways in which I acknowledge I am not the best reader, but I don't think this particular instance is my fault.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Occultatio posted:

Because that bit doesn't explain anything -- it makes perfect sense if you already understand dream bubbles, but otherwise the very first page is incredibly confusing. For instance: "whose memory is what? What are you looking at?" And then we're inside the bubble with no further context.

Ultimately, all I can tell you is that I read through the story multiple times, attempting to follow everything, and still didn't pick up on dream bubbles. There are a number of ways in which I acknowledge I am not the best reader, but I don't think this particular instance is my fault.

That's not really a fault of anything other than the fact that the story isn't finished yet. I don't think we're really SUPPOSED to know the full story behind the dream bubbles and how they work yet. If it's still unexplained and confusing after the words "THE END" appear, then you can complain properly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's also this... http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005381

I dunno, it's always seemed pretty clear to me :confused: You have those two main Aradia conversations, and the two (IIRC) conversations Feferi has with Jade, and that's kind of all you need.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

CidGregor posted:

Have you ever considered, dunno, just maybe, that not every chatlog in Homestuck is either plot important or comedic gold?

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

YF-23 posted:

Have you ever considered, dunno, just maybe, that not every chatlog in Homestuck is either plot important or comedic gold?

Yes, but.....that would just be silly and factually incorrect, because every chatlog is one or the other. (or both!)

(Yes, I'm sure I'm probably exaggerating a bit, but really, the writing in this comic is incredible and I am pretty much never bored by it ever.)

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 6, 2011

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

There's also this... http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005381

I dunno, it's always seemed pretty clear to me :confused: You have those two main Aradia conversations, and the two (IIRC) conversations Feferi has with Jade, and that's kind of all you need.

I don't really think that dream-bubbles are all that complicated. Their major things are basically

1) They exist in the Furthest Ring, and are created by the Horrorterrors.
2) They're where you dream if you don't have a dreamself.
3) If you're dead, they're where you get to spend eternity.

There really isn't all that much else to them.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

KoB posted:

I think the difference being that we got to know the kids for so long, then we completely threw the kids out the window and brought in the trolls with the longest pesterlogs yet. Its not that its too many words itself, its too many words about people we dont yet care about.

As someone who read through most of Homestuck this week, I found the Hivebent updates a really welcome change to be honest. The first time I tried reading Homestuck about a year ago, I didn't get through more than act 1 before bookmarking and forgetting, as while I appreciated the overall story being interesting and the experimental format, I just couldn't work up the effort to give much of a poo poo about any of the characters - Dave was cool, but he was only one of four main characters, and if he had gotten more screentime his ironic schtick would probably have grown old as well. The kids were just SO BORING when they weren't chatting with the trolls or Dave. Furthermore I was entirely disinterested in the Derse/Prospit characters even compared to the main kids, so whenever they popped up I would lose motivation to continue reading. I also found the plot generally too convoluted to bother investing in when I didn't really care too much what happened to any of the characters, so I shelved it.

I ended up liking the Hivebent parts a lot better - yeah, it had some real dud characters, and more weird not-cool stuff like the romance parts or Vriska's ancestor's journal (neither of which really phased me much), but overall I found the troll characters more entertaining, and I was far more interested in seeing Hussie explore their planet than the gameplay stuff in acts 1 - 4. Plus I started liking pretty much all the non-troll characters more from act 4 and through act 5 as well. Despite the shorter logs in acts 1 - 4, I would get bored of them and stop reading far more often then than the act 5 logs.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

I don't really think that dream-bubbles are all that complicated. Their major things are basically

1) They exist in the Furthest Ring, and are created by the Horrorterrors.
2) They're where you dream if you don't have a dreamself.
3) If you're dead, they're where you get to spend eternity.

There really isn't all that much else to them.

Yep! That's all that's to it. The dead in it include dead alternate selves as well, including selves from other timelines that come into the alpha and are killed.

Presumably there's like 500 different Aradias all in Dream Bubbles.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Zorak posted:

Yep! That's all that's to it. The dead in it include dead alternate selves as well, including selves from other timelines that come into the alpha and are killed.

Presumably there's like 500 different Aradias all in Dream Bubbles.

Now here's a neat little wrinkle: Beta-John.

The John that dead Vriska's talking to.

Unless he followed Davesprite (back when he was Future Dave), Beta-John died in the Beta-Timeline yet is in a dream bubble here in paradox space.

So either we've got more to see and it'll turn out he did somehow get to the alpha timeline, or else even betas who die in their beta timeline get a dream bubble.

Remember all those Aradias? That'd mean there's eleven other trolls per Aradia in dream bubbles, all from failure timelines.

Edit: Another wrinkle is dream Jade. When she was revived, the way she spoke suggested that she existed in a dream bubble in the afterlife after dying in the Alpha to save dream John. So that means that there's also dream bubbles for all the dead dream selves, but how does that work with going God-tier? Did Jadesprite and Jade merge when Jade died to create God-Tier Jade, meaning that there's no Dream John in the dream bubbles? What about Rose and Dave, whose real selves definitely died before they went God-Tier, did they merge?

So many questions! On the plus side if the afterlife is packed with countless beta and dream corpses of former players it's going to please the shippers, since every relationship could be possible simultaneously.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 6, 2011

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

CidGregor posted:

Yes, but.....that would just be silly and factually incorrect, because every chatlog is one or the other. (or both!)

(Yes, I'm sure I'm probably exaggerating a bit, but really, the writing in this comic is incredible and I am pretty much never bored by it ever.)

Add me to the "every pesterlog owns" pile. I can go back and read basically everything yet again and always wind up quoting stuff on IRC every other log, if not every other line in some.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Well since the Dream bubbles are outside of any universe then they shouldn't be discriminating between beta and alpha timelines/universes.

CidGregor posted:

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. Not everyone laughs at the same things though, and if someone finds less stuff in Homestuck to be comedic gold than you do it's likely that some logs will be a pain to read through.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CidGregor posted:

The longer the better, I say.

Being able to write concise and efficiently is a pretty huge part of the writer's craft, though, which is why writers have editors and not merely proofreaders. And why, when more egotistical authors get famous enough to start overruling their editors, their books often start getting much longer and much worse.

Andrew Hussie openly admits that this is an area where Homestuck objectively suffers, he just doesn't care. He has his own priorities, and in his own words writing a really technically well-crafted story is not a particularly important goal in writing Homestuck. It's full of experimental bits and ideas that don't always pan out and Andrew Hussie goofing around on a whim with whatever strikes him as funny at the moment.

Like most posters in this thread I find the experimental bits fascinating and the goofing around funny, but that doesn't mean that they don't sometimes detract from the overall literary quality of the story. While it's true that some people just fuckin' hate words, on the whole, when someone complains about the pesterlogs and journallogs dragging things out it's a complaint with objective merit behind it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

CidGregor posted:

Every pesterlog does own. I think we might be the same person after all.

I know this is a webcomic, but flashes aside, it's a webcomic primarily driven by lots and lots of words. I can't really imagine why someone who doesn't like lots and lots of words would be reading Homestuck.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

Gabriel Pope posted:

Like most posters in this thread I find the experimental bits fascinating and the goofing around funny, but that doesn't mean that they don't sometimes detract from the overall literary quality of the story. While it's true that some people just fuckin' hate words, on the whole, when someone complains about the pesterlogs and journallogs dragging things out it's a complaint with objective merit behind it.

Basically....

Kakumei posted:

I know this is a webcomic, but flashes aside, it's a webcomic primarily driven by lots and lots of words. I can't really imagine why someone who doesn't like lots and lots of words would be reading Homestuck.

This. Reading a comic that is literally WORDS WORDS WORDS and then complaining about how much reading there is is just silly to me.

And for the record I don't really like the implication that longer = worse in your first paragraph. There's something to be said for being succinct in the narrow focus and the "here and now" but having a big long story isn't a bad thing. The fifth harry Potter book is the longest of the series and easily my favorite. The extended edition of The Stand is 1500 pages and I read it cover to cover with no real trouble. Being 'technically well-crafted' doesn't concern me any more than it apparently concerns Hussie, especially when it's so entertaining as is anyway. I've never been a fan of the mindset that something is inferior because it's outside the box of what's considered to be the technically correct and standardized way of writing. Being so experimental and unique is a huge part of what makes Homestuck's writing so enjoyable.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Apologies in advance, but

CidGregor posted:

This. Reading a comic that is literally WORDS WORDS WORDS and then complaining about how much reading there is is just silly to me.

And for the record I don't really like the implication that longer = worse in your first paragraph. There's something to be said for being succinct in the narrow focus and the "here and now" but having a big long story isn't a bad thing. The fifth harry Potter book is the longest of the series and easily my favorite. The extended edition of The Stand is 1500 pages and I read it cover to cover with no real trouble. Being 'technically well-crafted' doesn't concern me any more than it apparently concerns Buckley

The experimental format has absolutely nothing to do with the volume, density, and quality of the words involved. Now could we please stop this and
you know
just kind of
maybe
perhaps
concede that we are allowed to have different opinions
perhaps realise that what turns us on doesn't turn others on
maybe understand that others can dislike what we might like
even admit there is no objective measure of quality and it whole depends on each independent reader how good they might perceive Homestuck to be and that's totally fair and ok

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

I too enjoy reading books and think words are awesome but when the focus of the story shifts and with that shift comes the introduction of several central characters who talk at length with semi-unreadable typing quirks, I think people have every right to suggest that this may have not been the easiest story to read properly. Although I'm sure as we speak someone on tumblr is starting a project to convert the collected works of Shakespeare into trollspeak or some poo poo like that.

Pentachronic Snail
Nov 2, 2011
I dunno, I just read it with another reader and it seemed to fly by quite well and easily.

I see where you're coming from, though. I was just interested in where it was going.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

YF-23 posted:

Apologies in advance, but

The experimental format has absolutely nothing to do with the volume, density, and quality of the words involved. Now could we please stop this and
you know
just kind of
maybe
perhaps
concede that we are allowed to have different opinions
perhaps realise that what turns us on doesn't turn others on
maybe understand that others can dislike what we might like
even admit there is no objective measure of quality and it whole depends on each independent reader how good they might perceive Homestuck to be and that's totally fair and ok

There is a very big difference between Hussie's writing and Buckley's. Buckley writes a "traditional" style comic and updates three times a week. Hussie writes a comic that is very non-traditional, in an adventure format with the words separate from the pictures (where they're out of the way.) When he's not on hiatus, Hussie averages seven pages per day. He may not prioritize being succinct (which is a problem that he acknowledges, also unlike Buckley!), but he at least has an excuse.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Baseless speculation post!

This page and Hussie's recent tumblr about how LE may lack Scratch's omniscience are making me wonder if Scratch is going to attempt to play English for a sucker at some point. I mean, if a horrible demon from the future appeared in front of me and said that one day I'd have to die in order for him to burst out of my body and chill with all the ladies as a time-travelling pimp, and that any attempt to change that would result in failure/a doomed timeline where everything dies, I'd probably be a little pissed. Especially if my omniscience told me that yes, it's inevitable.

Hussie has told us that Scratch and English are two separate entities with similar aspects. We know that English goes back in time in order to work alongside/enslave/seed? Scratch. We know that English reshaped Troll society with the aid of his servants, and was rarely seen by outsiders. We do not know if English possesses Scratch's memories or if he knows what Scratch is thinking at any given point in time.

It's a huge long-shot, and it almost certainly won't happen, but I could see a resentful Scratch betraying his predestined murderer in a hilariously complicated time travelling coup, perhaps leading to English's demise in Alternia's past. How weird would it be, getting revenge on your killer in the past, before you die, after he's killed you in the future?

I hate time travel.

Maybe the new "He is already here" is going to be "He has already lost."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Scratch dies, but he never really stays dead. New iterations of him are created in every universe English has marked, and he's totally fine with this.

If anything, he likes the fact that his boss's existence makes every universe doomed and every attempt to break the cycle futile. Because that would be a hilarious prank, and because he is an rear end in a top hat.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CidGregor posted:

And for the record I don't really like the implication that longer = worse in your first paragraph. There's something to be said for being succinct in the narrow focus and the "here and now" but having a big long story isn't a bad thing.

Right, but there's a difference between a story that's big and long because it is an involved story and that's the proper amount of time to devote to it, and a story that's big and long because it has a lot of unnecessary padding.

It's not as though brevity is strictly superior, either; the concept is merely that there is probably a more or less ideal length of time for a given story, and that going too long or too short is generally detrimental. It's just that it's pretty rare for an author to err on the side of too short. Sometimes authors will do experimental stuff with hyper-concise stories though, and this tends to be interesting even if it is technically suboptimal (not unlike Homestuck, albeit in the opposite direction.)

I don't think the concept of an ideal length should be particularly controversial. When a movie critic says a movie's too long, nobody says "what clearly this guy must hate watching movies, obviously more is better."

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 7, 2011

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
You guys who are complaining about the way Hussie's telling the story might not be aware, but this is basically webcomics' Ulysses, and the experimental aspects are a fundamental part of the complete experience. I try to stay away from the fanbase of Homestuck because a majority seem to view it as "just another good comic" to swoon over and write porno about, but jeez, guys, you're reading a historical literary event as it happens. How do you even enjoy this comic without realizing that? You don't know how to tell a story better than Andrew Hussie! If you think it can be a tale told "better", you're pretty much wrong. On every level, even. It's his story, and it's told in a way that is unequivocally his. This poo poo is insanely fantastic and it's a goddamn miracle in itself that something this arcane has acquired the fanbase it has, but the more people like the folks I see arguing keep arguing about what parts are "good" and what parts "aren't" the more I wonder if they even read the loving thing.

It's like if somebody rolled up on Nabokov, pulled his incomplete notes of Pale Fire out of his desk, and went "hey vladdie, buddy, cut this poem down like 333 lines, i just don't have the patience to sit through this, and boy golly what's with this interpretation from this other guy, who is he even?!! he's not even doing it right, what is he, nuts!? you gotta fix it or vladdie, buddy, i ain't reading."

You gotta have better things to do than pretend you know how to tell a story better than arguably the best storyteller in the preadolescent field of digital comics. You gotta.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Under the vegetable posted:

You gotta have better things to do than pretend you know how to tell a story better than arguably the best storyteller in the preadolescent field of digital comics. You gotta.

Thankfully I have the best storyteller in webcomics on my side, because I haven't said anything that Andrew Hussie hasn't said himself on his Formspring.

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol
Lets come down off the thin ledge of comparing Hussie to Joyce and Nabokov.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Gabriel Pope posted:

Thankfully I have the best storyteller in webcomics on my side, because I haven't said anything that Andrew Hussie hasn't said himself on his Formspring.

Dogg, I didn't have the greatest time when I read that Leopold Bloom liked a little piss-taste when he ate his fried kidneys, but that didn't make my reading of the whole of the book a lesser experience. There is really no reason to criticize this story yet. When it's done, maybe, sure, whatever, do what you want, whatever. I probably shouldn't have said anything in the first place.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

You guys who are complaining about the way Hussie's telling the story might not be aware, but this is basically webcomics' Ulysses, and the experimental aspects are a fundamental part of the complete experience. I try to stay away from the fanbase of Homestuck because a majority seem to view it as "just another good comic" to swoon over and write porno about, but jeez, guys, you're reading a historical literary event as it happens. How do you even enjoy this comic without realizing that? You don't know how to tell a story better than Andrew Hussie! If you think it can be a tale told "better", you're pretty much wrong. On every level, even. It's his story, and it's told in a way that is unequivocally his. This poo poo is insanely fantastic and it's a goddamn miracle in itself that something this arcane has acquired the fanbase it has, but the more people like the folks I see arguing keep arguing about what parts are "good" and what parts "aren't" the more I wonder if they even read the loving thing.

It's like if somebody rolled up on Nabokov, pulled his incomplete notes of Pale Fire out of his desk, and went "hey vladdie, buddy, cut this poem down like 333 lines, i just don't have the patience to sit through this, and boy golly what's with this interpretation from this other guy, who is he even?!! he's not even doing it right, what is he, nuts!? you gotta fix it or vladdie, buddy, i ain't reading."

Yeah see it's posts like this that borderline worship Hussie as some literary god that get to me.

I've read the entirety of Problem Sleuth and all of Homestuck up to now. They are great, amazing stories, and I love them immensely. At times I have thought Homestuck might even be the best Thing on the Internet. But holy gently caress I do not delude myself into thinking that the whole thing is completely perfect and that it doesn't have weak points anywhere at all whatsoever and that Hussie is the best writer alive who is absolutely sublime and perfect and can do no wrong.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

_____ ;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

YF-23 posted:

Yeah see it's posts like this that borderline worship Hussie as some literary god that get to me.

I've read the entirety of Problem Sleuth and all of Homestuck up to now. They are great, amazing stories, and I love them immensely. At times I have thought Homestuck might even be the best Thing on the Internet. But holy gently caress I do not delude myself into thinking that the whole thing is completely perfect and that it doesn't have weak points anywhere at all whatsoever and that Hussie is the best writer alive who is absolutely sublime and perfect and can do no wrong.

I'm not saying he's sublime and perfect. Nobody's sublime or perfect. Hussie, however, is obviously at the top of his personal game and the general game of this particular format of storytelling. If you're going to criticize, I guess, at least have a meatier criticism than "I didn't like this because it's long and I got bored."