Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Is there ever any resolution to the serial killer stuff that keeps popping up on the radio and on the internet? The one where they can't come up with a proper name for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Is there ever any resolution to the serial killer stuff that keeps popping up on the radio and on the internet? The one where they can't come up with a proper name for him.

Yes, there are a few stranger missions that deal with him.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
edit to include quote:

Zedd posted:

I spot a theme of goons complaining about the previous one a lot and burning the new things into the ground.
Best one was that gta4 looked bad.

On that note, I'm not understanding the hate for SA's "impossible" story line. The story seems pretty solid as I'm playing through it again. Carl comes back home to bury his mom, his brother gives him poo poo for leaving, CJ tries to make up for it by building the gang back up with his brother, Big Smoke sells out the Grove to Samuel Jackson, Carl has to do bitchwork or his brother dies horribly. This is as far as I've made it, and it feels pretty straight so far.

Vice City seemed like the last GTA game that actually featured the main character as the only person driving the narrative. Vice City was all about Vercetti becoming king. CJ, Niko, Johnny, and Luis are all just guys that are participating in a world that consists of more than just their activity. They're all, with maybe the exception of Johnny, somebody else's "bitch". I never played the Stories, so I don't know about that.

VanV
May 13, 2004

Not this year.
Okay well wait until you get to the later missions. You said you're playing through it again, you don't remember how it goes? Not that I am complaining - I LOVE San Andreas. But I can see why some people who for whatever reason care about a GTA game being realistic might complain about it, though.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Reading posts that I made at age 15 wasn't very pleasant.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Zedd posted:

I spot a theme of goons complaining about the previous one a lot and burning the new things into the ground.
Best one was that gta4 looked bad.

Really? People complained about the graphics? GTA4 had a lot of issues, but at the right time of day, it looked incredible. I just wish there was a way to freeze the clock to during the daylight/early evening hours.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ChuckDHead posted:

Really? People complained about the graphics? GTA4 had a lot of issues, but at the right time of day, it looked incredible. I just wish there was a way to freeze the clock to during the daylight/early evening hours.
You can, download "simple native trainer". You can freeze the time, change the weather and do hundreds of other poo poo.

http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/script-mods/2115

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I loved GTAIV and RDR when it was pissing it down with rain or there was a massive storm. It was very atmospheric when it coincided with a big chase mission or a shootout. Hopefully we'll get similar stuff up in the mountains in V.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

nemoulette posted:

Reading posts that I made at age 15 wasn't very pleasant.

I am so glad that the forums I frequented 10 years ago have since been burned to the ground and salted, with no trace left of their existence.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E39FSeJudRM

Ah, the memories.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ChuckDHead posted:

The problem was that Rockstar did their standard GTA marketing and didn't post (or allow anyone to post) gameplay footage before release. So all people had to go on was the three trailers and a bunch of screenshots. And GTA4... looked a lot better in motion than it did in still frames. There were big arguments about how it looked like crap in official screenshots like this one:

Notice the "watercolor" filter.

Once it came out I think a lot of people changed their opinions. Driving around at night when it's raining blew me away the first time.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

Once it came out I think a lot of people changed their opinions. Driving around at night when it's raining blew me away the first time.

Yeah nothing like driving around in a literally black and white environment save for a few traffic lights around.

You pretty much picked the worst example.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Joda posted:

Yeah nothing like driving around in a literally black and white environment save for a few traffic lights around.

Really? I thought the weather effects in that game were some of the best I'd seen at the time (then Rockstar outdid themselves with Red Dead).

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Joda posted:

Black and white? I think something is wrong with your TV/System

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Away all Goats posted:

Black and white? I think something is wrong with your TV/System

It is pretty much black and white at night in the rain. GTA4 is probably the worst offender in the horrible trend of games having ridiculous filters that annihilate all the color. The entire game looks incredibly samey because of it.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
White supremacist forum Stormfront has a GTA thread! This rules.

quote:

GTA SA, there was so much wrong with it socially and playably (probably not a word) it was just trash.

quote:

I hated San Andreas

quote:

Much of the speculation is that it may focus on Vinewood/Los Santos...

Hopefully not with another Negro main character...

quote:

The Negro main char was just icing on the cake of bad game.

edit - oh, here's the best:

quote:

I like to put a motorcyle helmet on CJ so I don't see his Negroid head every time I play.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I loving love these guys, they're the best kind of entertainment.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Crackerman posted:

I still want my corrupt cop GTA. You start off as an idealist, straight-shooting good cop but get ruined and end up a huge corrupt dick at the end of the story, except with no consequences for your character whatsoever, you just get to revel in the horrible corruption.

GTA: Port of Call New Orleans.

Holy gently caress, Bad Lieutenant would work so well as a GTA game, not least because the protagonist is so unpredicatble.

I could totally get behind Cage voicing a character in GTAV though, he'd be totally awesome.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Stormfront is a horrible place, but that blatant unfounded racism against everything is just so sad it's funny at times.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

Really? I thought the weather effects in that game were some of the best I'd seen at the time (then Rockstar outdid themselves with Red Dead).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYGifDDDzrI

It gets worse and worse as the video goes on. It never gets as bad as it can, but you clearly see the colour drain from the world.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Joda posted:

It gets worse and worse as the video goes on. It never gets as bad as it can, but you clearly see the colour drain from the world.
I've seen GTA4's weather effects. I guess if your measure of "good visuals" is simply proportional to the color saturation then you might not like it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Joda posted:

Turn up the saturation in the graphics menu, can't remember if this is in the console versions though.

Also: if youre on pc make sure you download "simple native trainer", you can use it to completely get rid of the fog/filter and get stuff like this.

Just change the weather setting to "ExtraSunny2" and fiddle with the time of day.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
All I want for GTAIV is an option for antialising.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
That second screenshot looks like poo poo though?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Role Play McMurphy posted:

When you aren't as confused let us know how you feel.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Role Play McMurphy posted:

I think they are both ugly.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You guys are ugly.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

I've seen GTA4's weather effects. I guess if your measure of "good visuals" is simply proportional to the color saturation then you might not like it.

I just found using that particular effect as an example of GTA IV having excellent visuals rather inappropriate. That's all.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Joda posted:

I think GTA4 actually did rain effects really well. I know a lot of goons probably don't do this, but if you go outside while it is overcast, and especially when its raining, colors do actually get a lot less vivid because it's darker!

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm the man who killed Hostess. Now, say my name.
I don't know if we're still talking about this (I'm reading page 91) but I really like Niko :shobon: GTAIV was the first one that I really got into due to not having a PS2 during my younger years, so that might have something to do with it. But he came off to me as a very friendly and polite guy with a good sense of humor. If I didn't know about the whole career criminal thing I'd let my sister date him :3:

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
The SA soundtrack is better than I remember it. And the K-Rose station is way better than I remember. Amos Moses came on when I got onto a quad and started zipping through the countryside. This game has some incredible moments for the player. And Catalina can go gently caress herself.

e: Convinced me to buy the Jerry Reed greatest hits just now, and so far it's a pretty fun collection of songs.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
One thing I really hope for in GTA V is a better waypointing system. What I mean it's kinda frustrating having this big living, breathing world, when I spend half my time looking at the minimap in the corner to figure out where to go and missing 90% of everything on-screen.

The best system I've seen is Red Faction Guerilla, which draws the directions on the roads in front of you as you drive along, it works brilliantly and I wish more open-world games had this.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MZ posted:

One thing I really hope for in GTA V is a better waypointing system. What I mean it's kinda frustrating having this big living, breathing world, when I spend half my time looking at the minimap in the corner to figure out where to go and missing 90% of everything on-screen.

The best system I've seen is Red Faction Guerilla, which draws the directions on the roads in front of you as you drive along, it works brilliantly and I wish more open-world games had this.

GTA Chinatown Wars does this.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

FauxCyclops posted:

If I didn't know about the whole career criminal thing I'd let my sister date him :3:

You'd probably figure it out when he turned up in a stolen and horribly battered taxi that's on the verge of being on fire, with a trail of bodies lining the pavement behind him.

And doing this again for every single date.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

MZ posted:

What i'd like in GTA5 is to have a loving use for my money. It's fine if i've got more than I can handle at the end (give me access to minigames or some poo poo that cost money to play if you want to give me something to burn it on), but in 4 is was more or less pointless.

Let me do all the things saints row does. Let me buy a place, let me upgrade it, let me go out and buy shops and and cars and stuff. Let me gamble it all away like in San Andreas. Let me buy up the whole city like you do in Vice City and SR2. Let me fill a pool with it Scrooge McDuck style so I can go swimming in it and access a secret area that contains a spawn for an awesome weapon or vehicle. Let me gold plate my weapons for ridiculous sums of cash, let me bribe my way past difficult situations. Let me buy weapon spawn points for my safehouses or cheats (that don't disable achievements or whatever). Let me do all the things you'd expect to be able to do with a ton of money.

Kin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 7, 2011

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Zedd posted:

Stormfront is a horrible place, but that blatant unfounded racism against everything is just so sad it's funny at times.

quote:

After watching the trailer, all I can really say is I can't wait to crop dust some beaners. Take that, beaners!

Take that, beaners!

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Kin posted:

What i'd like in GTA5 is to have a loving use for my money. It's fine if i've got more than I can handle at the end (give me access to minigames or some poo poo that cost money to play if you want to give me something to burn it on), but in 4 is was more or less pointless.

Let me do all the things saints row does. Let me buy a place, let me upgrade it, let me go out and buy shops and and cars and stuff. Let me gamble it all away like in San Andreas. Let me buy up the whole city like you do in Vice City and SR2. Let me fill a pool with it Scrooge McDuck style so I can go swimming in it and access a secret area that contains a spawn for an awesome weapon or vehicle. Let me gold plate my weapons for ridiculous sums of cash, let me bribe my way past difficult situations. Let me buy weapon spawn points for my safehouses or cheats (that don't disable achievements or whatever). Let me do all the things you'd expect to be able to do with a ton of money.

I keep wondering if they meant to make money useless in GTA IV for some sort of thematic reason or not. I like to give them the benefit of the doubt, because seriously, it does nothing in that game.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
So is that whole Something Awful San Andreas MTA thing still going to happen?

FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain

Giggily posted:

I think GTA4 actually did rain effects really well. I know a lot of goons probably don't do this, but if you go outside while it is overcast, and especially when its raining, colors do actually get a lot less vivid because it's darker!

Yeah, seriously. It's like you guys have never been outside on a gloomy day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FetusOvaries posted:

Yeah, seriously. It's like you guys have never been outside on a gloomy day.

Getting shot doesn't actually result in you re-spawning at a nearby hospital.
Realism is a poor excuse for an ugly effect

• Locked thread