Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Thread needs more Ishikawa Takahiko. The only man to ever give Kimura a run for his money and undoubtedly one of the greatest Judoka to ever live.

Been doing judo for about 3 years now. Cannot speak highly enough of the sport. I am desperately working on improving my ground game and have been getting some good results from working with BJJ guys I know. Right now, however, it is all about the throws for me. The feeling one gets when they perform a very technical throw very well is breathtaking (also the sound of your opponent crashing to the mat doesn't hurt either :D )

One of the guys I fought at a promotional was nearly knocked out cold attempting a flying armbar on me (a technique, while not expressly forbidden, is highly frowned upon due to the utter idiocy of nearly everyone who attempts them). Wasn't even a large enough tournament to need to do such crazy antics. Probably one of the funniest things I have seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Thanks for calling me an idiot, dick!

I was down in points in a bjj tournament by ELEVEN. After scrambling, I flying armbarred to win with 15 seconds left.

Really though, if a technique is legal, who are you to decide whether it's 'okay' to perform it or not? What does the size of the tournament matter? Ugh, guys like you are why I am not a super huge fan of going to traditional judo places to train. I don't mean to overgeneralize, but I've trained at a LOT of Judo places and poo poo like this is pretty common. Do you also think that guillotines are for monkeys? Because I've heard that one too.

Edit: Oh and good job feeling good about almost knocking a dude out.

AZCollins fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 7, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Subparr posted:

I was down in points in a bjj tournament by ELEVEN. After scrambling, I flying armbarred to win with 15 seconds left.

Really though, if a technique is legal, who are you to decide whether it's 'okay' to perform it or not? What does the size of the tournament matter? Ugh, guys like you are why I am not a super huge fan of going to traditional judo places to train. I don't mean to overgeneralize, but I've trained at a LOT of Judo places and poo poo like this is pretty common. Do you also think that guillotines are for monkeys? Because I've heard that one too.

Edit: Oh and good job feeling good about almost knocking a dude out.

Actually he felt good because someone almost knocked themselves out, and I would agree with him.

That said I would also not be fond of some uncoordinated spaztard going airborne doing a technique intended to break my arm at a tournament that means literally nothing.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Okay, so would he have been an uncoordinated spaztard if the technique worked? Are you also saying it's not a legit technique because it's, 'designed to break limbs,' seriously?

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
No, if he wasn't an uncoordinated spaztard he wouldn't have almost knocked himself out. How is reading so hard for you?
Most people in non-advanced divisions trying flying techniques have little to no chance of hitting them. These people are likely to injure themselves or others with their spaztard nonsense. This behavior should be discouraged.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Subparr posted:

Well, apparently he's not wrong!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Acinonyx posted:

No, if he wasn't an uncoordinated spaztard he wouldn't have almost knocked himself out. How is reading so hard for you?
Most people in non-advanced divisions trying flying techniques have little to no chance of hitting them. These people are likely to injure themselves or others with their spaztard nonsense. This behavior should be discouraged.

This.

The entire of judo since its inception was the refinement and honing of technique. At the amateur level, those who attempt techniques such as flying armbars are often wild and perform the technique improperly. This can lead to serious injury of both competitors. As such, I do not like them.

I am not saying armbars are improper techniques. Quite the opposite. They are very potent and reliable tools of our trades. I have no problem with techniques designed to break limbs. The problem is that there is no middle ground with it. Either you do it perfectly, with excellent control and skill, or someone goes to the hospital. I have a problem with people performing wild and dangerous techniques with no regard for the well being of either themselves or their opponent. That is what I see flying armbars as. That and pure showmanship.

P.S.- Neck cranks are illegal in judo. By extension, guillotines are as well. They are viewed as brutish techniques, requiring little skill but a lot of force. That combination seems like a recipe for disaster to me. I would not say they are for monkeys, as when done properly, they are perfectly safe. If any in-experienced and overzealous competitor does it, however, someone's neck is getting broken. That I have a problem with.

Lack of control can kill.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Crazyeyes posted:

P.S.- Neck cranks are illegal in judo. By extension, guillotines are as well. They are viewed as brutish techniques, requiring little skill but a lot of force. That combination seems like a recipe for disaster to me. I would not say they are for monkeys, as when done properly, they are perfectly safe. If any in-experienced and overzealous competitor does it, however, someone's neck is getting broken. That I have a problem with.

:lol:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

fatherdog posted:

:lol:

Are you implying that a neck crank cannot break someone's neck?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Crazyeyes posted:

Are you implying that a neck crank cannot break someone's neck?

I'm not implying anything, I'm explicitly stating that if you're seriously worried about somebody breaking necks with guillotines, you are a moron whose opinions on grappling should be rightfully ignored

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Gmn3YDxJo
He never walked again....

Not really

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

fatherdog posted:

I'm not implying anything, I'm explicitly stating that if you're seriously worried about somebody breaking necks with guillotines, you are a moron whose opinions on grappling should be rightfully ignored

I am simply stating the mindset of a great many judoka and the reasoning behind making said techniques illegal in competition. While I personally think that the list of banned techniques in judo competitions is way too long, I think that some are legitimately dangerous (such as Kani-Basami).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Crazyeyes posted:

I am simply stating the mindset of a great many judoka and the reasoning behind making said techniques illegal in competition. While I personally think that the list of banned techniques in judo competitions is way too long, I think that some are legitimately dangerous (such as Kani-Basami).

Do you or do you not think that guillotines are serious risks in competition

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Far from being dangerous, bad guillotines where the dude is just gonna turn red and pull on your neck in anger until either you tap or he has an aneurysm are the best.

edit: It's not entirely risk free, but no submission is.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Not when applied properly. If that is the case, the only threat is that of someone being retarded and not tapping. Even then the risk is comparatively minor in my opinion.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Grab Your Foot! posted:

It's not entirely risk free, but no submission is.

This pretty much.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Crazyeyes posted:

=

I don't know, most of Judo performed is more or less "brutish". Personally I think of all combat sports Judo tends to have the greatest number of folks getting significant/crippling injuries (Folks getting blown out knees, dislocated shoulders, broken collar bones, etc....)

Lack of control could kill, sure thoeretically. However most of the deaths I've heard about in combat sports are typically are due to abuse or gross mismanagement. (The only death I've heard of in submission grappling was at some BJJ tournament in Brazil the last couple of years. And I'm pretty sure that was the guy's heart giving out from taking steroids and being dehydrated...)

A good guillotene should be mainly squeezing the neck and not bending it too much. If someone is trying something like the Darce choke and really starts torquing on your neck, yeah you can get messed up.But this is from bending the neck excessively, not so much squeezing it excessively.

Also it's your duty to loving tap out from such things. A neck crank start happening that you don't like? Tap early, tap often.

I have my doubts you can even break someone's neck from a guillotene. Sprain the crap out of it and causing severe muscle damage? Sure.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 7, 2011

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Senor P. posted:

I don't know, most of Judo performed is more or less "brutish". Personally I think of all combat sports Judo tends to have the greatest number of folks getting significant/crippling injuries (Folks getting blown out knees, dislocated shoulders, broken collar bones, etc....)

Lack of control could kill, sure thoeretically. However most of the deaths I've heard about in combat sports are typically are due to abuse or gross mismanagement. (The only death I've heard of in submission grappling was at some BJJ tournament in Brazil the last couple of years. And I'm pretty sure that was the guy's heart giving out from taking steroids and being dehydrated...)

A good guillotene should be mainly squeezing the neck and not bending it too much. If someone is trying something like the Darce choke and really starts torquing on your neck, yeah you can get messed up.But this is from bending the neck excessively, not so much squeezing it excessively.

Also it's your duty to loving tap out from such things. A neck crank start happening that you don't like? Tap early, tap often.

I have my doubts you can even break someone's neck from a guillotene. Sprain the crap out of it and causing severe muscle damage? Sure.

It's as much your responsibility to tap and or audibly say "stop" when you're getting something put on you as it is your opponent to not try to kill you. There's some people like me who can literally have their hand touching their head when getting kimura'd before it hurts and others who're in agony the moment the crank comes on, different folks have different points where they feel pressure or pain.

Guillotines are no different some people I've grappled with will let me crank and hang off their poo poo all day before they tap, others will tap as soon as I apply pressure.

If someone gets hurt because they don't tap or say stop to a steady controlled increasing pressure it's completely their fault.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In Judo we outlawed brutish techniques like the double leg which can lead to brutal knockouts if performed by an unhinged bully.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I do Judo and I'd love to have guillotines legal. I'd want to learn it and probably more so I'd want to learn how to defend against it and where not to put my head etc.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything

Paul Pot posted:

In Judo we outlawed brutish techniques like the double leg which can lead to brutal knockouts if performed by an unhinged bully.
:golfclap:

I hate that when i first started Jujitsu we couldn't do guillotines so i never had to get used to defending my neck that vigorously. Last time i grappled with a black belt he could just latch on to my neck within split seconds. It wasn't a lot of fun (it was)

Iceman
Aug 23, 2003

I don't really know anything about Judo but this is my favorite Judo video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUNgJPsUb1A

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Nierbo posted:

I do Judo and I'd love to have guillotines legal. I'd want to learn it and probably more so I'd want to learn how to defend against it and where not to put my head etc.

My sensei actually teaches a modified guillotine technique that, while technically legal in competition, would probably get you penalized everytime.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

Acinonyx posted:

How is reading so hard for you?

Apparently I'm not communicating my point well enough.

Teach me wise one, what techniques are competitors allowed to use at grappling tournaments? Or better yet, give me a list of 'spaztard nonsense,' so I can help spread the word to avoid offending your delicate sensibilities.

The bottom line is, you can't decide whether a technique works for someone or not, no matter what you believe the fail rate to be. Everyone's different. Calling something 'brutish' and saying 'people are idiots who use this technique' is just loving ignorant.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
i hope we can all agree on banning that head-nod poo poo that makes you break your neck. that kind of thing needs to be kept in check.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
haha i can't believe you two are at opposite ends of the spectrum yet equally dumb

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass

Thermos H Christ posted:

i hope we can all agree on banning that head-nod poo poo that makes you break your neck. that kind of thing needs to be kept in check.

What's this all about? I've got a BJJ competition this saturday and could use a trick up my sleeve :cool:

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

fatherdog posted:

The issue for comp. judo is that it's up to a ref to determine whether a match is being fought safely, and it's really hard to tell from a 3rd person perspective if someone's doing a guillotine "right" as a blood choke or "wrong" as a neck crank. (I was out for 3mo after getting a neck injury from an improperly applied guillotine). Seems like a fair concern to me

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
If a submission is hurting you to the point of injury why aren't you tapping?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I'm sorry you have a pussy neck

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

henkman posted:

I'm sorry you have a pussy neck
ya I used to get a sore neck a lot but started doing neck bridges and I very rarely have trouble anymore. I'd look into it.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I did a grappling competition where it was No Neck Cranks allowed , to the point where a guy got disqualified for holding the back of the other guy's head to lock in a triangle. My opponent instinctively went for a guilltine at one point and I tapped out really quickly on purpose so he would lose by DQ. The moral is, it's good to win

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

james earl pwns posted:

I did a grappling competition where it was No Neck Cranks allowed , to the point where a guy got disqualified for holding the back of the other guy's head to lock in a triangle. My opponent instinctively went for a guilltine at one point and I tapped out really quickly on purpose so he would lose by DQ. The moral is, it's good to win

I won a Judo match by Getting Slammed From Guard. Easiest W ever.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I won a Judo match by Getting Slammed From Guard. Easiest W ever.

Its good to pay a fee, and drive really far to a tournament, and sit there on the bleachers for like 6 hours eating a Banana until they call out your match, and then you win in one second and that's the whole tournament.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

Tezcatlipoca posted:

If a submission is hurting you to the point of injury why aren't you tapping?

Like most neck crank guillotines, it didn't hurt (or even seem to be doing anything) until the injury occurred.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

nvm dumb

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Thermos H Christ posted:

hahaha

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think the real solution here is that you all need to learn to keep your neck protected.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003
Went to my second competition this Saturday. I was the only 154 pounder in my division(30+ white belt), and they merged me into 168. I won by sub in my first fight, then the match between two other guys ended in like two minutes and I wound up having to fight again right after that. Like an idiot I declined the offered 3 minute rest period, was too gassed to do anything right against a guy who hadn't fought yet and was in good shape, and lost the match on points. Still, it was a lot of fun, and once again the competitors were class acts.

I know these videos are laughably amateurish. I'm the short guy with black hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XG3IBOcC7A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_a8uSCbV4A

(also goddamn, everyone has a coach and they're kind of annoying)

Siamang fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

BlindSite posted:

I think the real solution here is that you all need to learn to keep your neck protected.

He has obviously been ignoring his Wu Tang.