Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

BathroomTile posted:

Why do you have two battery icons?

Battery Indicator shows me my temp and some cool info, can't disable the default icon. I'm just used to it now, I forgot there were two till you pointed it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

quote:

My screen would be able to show more but it only shows 8 with the rest on further pages. I looked in all the menus, am I missing something obvious or is it unchangeable?

Menu>preferences>app drawer>grid size

edit: just confirmed this alters all grid settings even for docked folders.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 6, 2011

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

BathroomTile posted:

That is your question? Mine would be why half the profile pics aren't there and most of the text is black on a black background.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Anyone else notice that they've silently rolled out the Top Developer/Editors Choice badges? Don't remember them being there when my Market was first updated to 3.3.11. Can't tell if the "Users also installed" section was added at the same time or I was just overlooking it till now.

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007

Sereri posted:

That is your question? Mine would be why half the profile pics aren't there and most of the text is black on a black background.

To protect their privacy, I'd imagine.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

AlexMoron posted:

:doh: That makes sense, sorry.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Urfdser posted:

can't disable the default icon.

Is that not CM?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

What's the current best NES emulator available? I seem to remember there being some issue with GPL'd code or something but can't find anything about it. An emulator that could also run on Honeycomb would be pretty sweet as well.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

iostream.h posted:

What's the current best NES emulator available?
I think NES.emu is pretty good, as are the rest of Robert's emulators.

Edit: Cheat support is probably the one big feature that's still missing at present.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

BathroomTile posted:

Battery icons are the new clocks.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is that not CM?

It is. I'd be lying if I said I ever looked for a way to hide it though. I dealt with 2 of them in Sense for so long that when I installed CM7 I was already used to it. I just checked after reading this and the most I can find is how to disable the bar and just show a battery icon. Now everyone picking on my double batteries has me considering just uninstalling the Battery app and finding another way to check the temp from the status bar.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Battery icons are the new clocks.

Also, yes.

AlexMoron posted:

Right, and I left my own icon and name so it can be seen how they would actually show.

edit.
Oh - and the Market just notified me I had an update on Account x. So I'm not even going to bother with moving the other apps because it seems the latest Market makes it evident when an update is available regardless of which account the app is installed under.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Settings > CyanogenMod Settings > Interface > Status Bar Tweaks > Battery Status Style > Hidden

If it's not there I'm guessing the version of CM you're running is fairly old.

Yea, I'm running a nightly from July 19th. About time to update I'd say.

Resdfru fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 6, 2011

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Urfdser posted:

It is. I'd be lying if I said I ever looked for a way to hide it though. I dealt with 2 of them in Sense for so long that when I installed CM7 I was already used to it. I just checked after reading this and the most I can find is how to disable the bar and just show a battery icon. Now everyone picking on my double batteries has me considering just uninstalling the Battery app and finding another way to check the temp from the status bar.

Settings > CyanogenMod Settings > Interface > Status Bar Tweaks > Battery Status Style > Hidden

If it's not there I'm guessing the version of CM you're running is fairly old.

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'
Is Spare Parts still the go-to app for finding out what is wake-locking your phone?

I have huge regions of time on my (original, stock gingerbread) Droid X that are listed as wake-state in the battery usage graph, but no particular program is listed beyond "Android OS". I remember Spare Parts got bandied about as the app that could find out such details, but the reviews for it on AppBrain and the Market seem really old -- is there a new hotness for this purpose?

I'd like to avoid things that also double as task killers, for the oft-repeated reasons.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IanCaw posted:

Is Spare Parts still the go-to app for finding out what is wake-locking your phone?

I have huge regions of time on my (original, stock gingerbread) Droid X that are listed as wake-state in the battery usage graph, but no particular program is listed beyond "Android OS". I remember Spare Parts got bandied about as the app that could find out such details, but the reviews for it on AppBrain and the Market seem really old -- is there a new hotness for this purpose?

I'd like to avoid things that also double as task killers, for the oft-repeated reasons.

Better Battery Stats. Free on XDA (search) or paid on the Market.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Better Battery Stats is what you want (have a search on XDA for a free version)

I get a tonne of awake time listed under wifi which isn't very helpful, it only started when a couple of neighbours got new access ponits so I guess its just wifi trying to pick my signal out from the mess of networks in the building.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Question: Is there a way to make go SMS (or any other SMS app) show a "send message" popup? That's something I really miss from my jail broken iPhone :(

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 7, 2011

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Any other Google Voice users not getting notifications when they get a voicemail? I have mine set to only notify me via the app, not by email/text, and it's only notifying me every now and then. Also, is there a way to set up time based profiles in Voice?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

dissss posted:

I get a tonne of awake time listed under wifi which isn't very helpful, it only started when a couple of neighbours got new access ponits so I guess its just wifi trying to pick my signal out from the mess of networks in the building.

Try different channels on your router or turn off auto and shove your channel way off to one of the extremes.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lprsti99 posted:

Question: Is there https://www.way to make go SMS (or any other SMS app) show a "send message" popup? That's something I really miss from my jail broken iPhone :(
As someone who's never used iOS, I have no idea what you're talking about.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Handcent has options for a "sent message notification" and "confirm send message" if either of those are what you're looking for.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

As someone who's never used iOS, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Literally just a popup window I could activate with a gesture, with a "To" field, and a field to enter text. The idea being I don't have to exit my current app and enter the SMS app to send a text when I'm not replying to one I've just received. Not sure how that was unclear...

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 7, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lprsti99 posted:

Literally just a popup window I could activate with a gesture, with a "To" field, and a field to enter https://www.text. The idea being I don't have to exit my current app and enter the SMS app to send a text when I'm not replying to one I've just received. Not sure how that was unclear...
Well given the fact that both of your posts had incomplete hyperlinks, I was fairly proud of myself for having a general idea what you wanted. :v:

Actually, I'm pretty sure LauncherPro Plus can do what you want, if I'm understanding what you're looking for. It has this weird feature that allows you to set what the developer calls "Activities" as shortcuts. Basically what they are are hooks into each app's functions and if you choose an action (swipe up from a dock shortcut, for instance), assign it a Shortcut, then assign that a LauncherPro Activity, then go to your preferred SMS program (I use stock), you'll see all the activities you can select. On stock there's one that's obviously for composing a new message. I picked that and it seemed to do what I think you want.

Obviously this is only useful from the home screen.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Lprsti99 posted:

Question: Is there https://www.way to make go SMS (or any other SMS app) show a "send message" popup? That's something I really miss from my jail broken iPhone :(

I use (and swear by) ChompSMS. It has a feature where you can long press the search button to get a quick compose window to popup. I can compose a text from within anything, even from my lockscreen. Seriously, why don't more people use Chomp?!

EDIT: Just noticed that Chomp just released an update that lets you set a text to send to a pre-defined number at a later time. Pretty handy for birthday and whatnot. Personally, I use an app called Future Text for this and I'd recommend it if this is a feature you want/need.

XIII fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 7, 2011

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

dissss posted:

This app'll show you what channels are in use and signal strength for each of them.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

Well given the fact that both of your posts had incomplete hyperlinks, I was fairly proud of myself for having a general idea what you wanted. :v:

Actually, I'm pretty sure LauncherPro Plus can do what you want, if I'm understanding what you're looking for. It has this weird feature that allows you to set what the developer calls "Activities" as shortcuts. Basically what they are are hooks into each app's functions and if you choose an action (swipe up from a dock shortcut, for instance), assign it a Shortcut, then assign that a LauncherPro Activity, then go to your preferred SMS program (I use stock), you'll see all the activities you can select. On stock there's one that's obviously for composing a new message. I picked that and it seemed to do what I think you want.

Obviously this is only useful from the home screen.

gently caress, for some reason my swype is reading an a to space swipe as www, somehow. What the gently caress :(

e: Fixed, also, thanks for the info, will look it up.

Oh, holy gently caress, Handcent has the popup, but it's not documented anywhere, it came up when I held the search button! :v: Yesssss

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 7, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lprsti99 posted:

gently caress, for some reason my swype is reading an a to space swipe as www, somehow. What the gently caress :(

e: Fixed, also, thanks for the info, will look it up.

Oh, holy gently caress, Handcent has the popup, but it's not documented anywhere, it came up when I held the search button! :v: Yesssss
Good that found what you were looking for. A tip for Swype: you never have to hit or swipe to the spacebar, just tap A then start swiping the next word.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

Good that found what you were looking for. A tip for Swype: you never have to hit or swipe to the spacebar, just tap A then start swiping the next word.

Huh, I got used to swiping to the spacebar for a/I because it told me to. IT LIED. But, yeah, thanks for the tip.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Better Battery Stats. Free on XDA (search) or paid on the Market.

I've been using this for a bit, but for some reason the bars that show percentage are (I think) broken. Whenever I look at any of the stats, I just see a two-tone gray bar. Stock Evo 3D.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Try different channels on your router or turn off auto and shove your channel way off to one of the extremes.

Tried that and it broke connectivity with an older laptop that needs to stay on the network at one end, and caused issues with a Mac at the other. I think I just need a newer more powerful router.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hooah posted:

I've been using this for a bit, but for some reason the bars that show percentage are (I think) broken. Whenever I look at any of the stats, I just see a two-tone gray bar. Stock Evo 3D.

It's the qHD scaling and/or Sense that's breaking it. Looks great on on my girlfriend's CM7 G2x and looks adequate on my CM7 Sensation.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

leftover posted:

I've been using Go launcher EX for some time now and loving it. I was wondering though if when you place a folder on the dock bar if it's possible to get it to show more apps per page:

My screen would be able to show more but it only shows 8 with the rest on further pages. I looked in all the menus, am I missing something obvious or is it unchangeable?

You want to look at FolderOrganizer.

novak
Aug 8, 2006

Turnin' on the screw
I'm looking for an that'd play a tone app or (preferably) vibrate every X minutes without me having to turn the phone on to reset the counter. I run intervals and it'd be cool if the phone would just vibrate in my pocket every time I have to slow down and then vibrate again after a number of minutes when it's time to sprint. The app would need to reset the counter and start counting down again without any user input because having to stop completely and dig the phone out of my pocket to start the countdown again would kinda defeat the point.

Any ideas? I've been trying to google for such an app but haven't stumbled onto anything that'd just keep counting down on an infinite loop.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Why does the FaceBook app randomly decide to hold a wake lock and drain my battery? I didn't open FaceBook all weekend on my phone yet it still did this:

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 7, 2011

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
It's because the Facebook app is loving terrible. Use the standalone FB messenger app and the mobile Facebook webpage instead.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

novak posted:

I'm looking for an that'd play a tone app or (preferably) vibrate every X minutes without me having to turn the phone on to reset the counter. I run intervals and it'd be cool if the phone would just vibrate in my pocket every time I have to slow down and then vibrate again after a number of minutes when it's time to sprint. The app would need to reset the counter and start counting down again without any user input because having to stop completely and dig the phone out of my pocket to start the countdown again would kinda defeat the point.

Any ideas? I've been trying to google for such an app but haven't stumbled onto anything that'd just keep counting down on an infinite loop.

StopWatch & Timer Plus loops countdowns. It costs money, but I bought it because I wanted looping countdowns. It works well enough for me. There are also loads of other stopwatch/timer apps, so you might get lucky with one of the others too.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
So, I didn't find the option to clear the default image viewer on Gallery in Manage Applications so I said "Well, maybe if I delete it I'll be prompted to select something next time something asks for Gallery." So I uninstalled Gallery using Titanium Backup, and this has proven to be a dumb move, since now apps just crash or throw an error when they ask for Gallery instead. Win some, lose some.

So I found and installed the stock 2.2 Gallery .apk (the same one I had), and it crashes anytime it tries to pull image details, and also for a couple other triggers that I haven't pinned down. Oddly enough, after re-installing Gallery (although not to /system/app this time, which is probably the source of the crashing issue), I was prompted to set a default for one of the calls, but not the rest of them.

Couple questions: why wasn't I able to clear my picture viewer default in the first place? Is it crashing now because I don't have it installed to /system/app? Is there any app out there that can force a default to clear or be switched?

And most importantly, why can't I just tell Gallery which loving folders to stay out of in the first place? Putting .nomedia files everywhere is a lovely solution because I can't count on every other app I ever use being able to ignore .nomedia files. I want Gallery to index Pictures, DCIM, maybe Videos, maybe Download, and nothing else; I want it to stay the hell out of Music and Books where there's literally thousands of tiny .jpgs in individual folders. JustPictures is everything Gallery should be.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IT Guy posted:

Why does the FaceBook app randomly decide to hold a wake lock and drain my battery? I didn't open FaceBook all weekend on my phone yet it still did this:

Leathal posted:

It's because the Facebook app is loving terrible. Use the standalone FB messenger app and the mobile Facebook webpage instead.

To expand on that, the Facebook app has location services built into it but some dumb gently caress set to only poll fine location (GPS) so any time the app wakes up (contact refresh, new notification, etc) and you're indoors it's going to sit trying to get a location lock and not get it. The really neat thing is that you can't revoke Facebook's location permission using CM. Some rear end in a top hat went out of their way to have the app poo poo its pants if it hits a Denied message when trying to poll. So you're stuck using LBE Privacy Gaurd (spoofs but it's closed source and Chinese) or using the mobile site (which actually isn't horrible).

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 7, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

IT Guy posted:

It's because the facebook app is made by developers who want to upload all your contacts to their servers and know your location and than come and rape you at night!! Haven't you heard?? :ohdear:

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Just use FriendCaster instead of the official FB app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Dancing Peasant posted:

Just use FriendCaster instead of the official FB app.

Friendcaster doesen't do 'proper' push notifications though (im guessing because facebook hasn't made that an open API or something) instead it half-asses it by checking your emails to see if facebook sent you one. I don't have emails from facebook because otherwise they would clog up my inbox.

• Locked thread