Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Vlex posted:

So I made an Autumn vegetable soup tonight. It was delicious, but I had problems with the texture. Specifically, I soaked a bunch of split yellow peas in water for, like, two days. Despite almost an hour of boiling in the soup (all other veggies apart from some stubborn bits of roasted parsnip had disintegrated) the peas remained unpleasantly solid, with an undercooked mouthfeel.

I know these little shits can be made soft, because the local Indian joint does a dansak curry with them instead of the usual lentils. What the hell am I doing wrong? I guess the salt in my stock might be loving with them softening?

Always boil split peas separately. They don't play well with anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!
Hi goons, quick question -

I lost power for the past 6 days, and I had some bacon in the fridge. I hadn't opened the vacuum seal yet, and we kept the door closed, plus it was fairly cold in the house because we lost heat (around 50 F). Could is still be okay, or should i not take the risk and just toss it?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
How long will lightly used and filtered deep fryer oil (canola in this case) last in the refrigerator? It's been sealed off from light and air. I haven't deep fried in at least 6 months.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Thalamus posted:

Hi goons, quick question -

I lost power for the past 6 days, and I had some bacon in the fridge. I hadn't opened the vacuum seal yet, and we kept the door closed, plus it was fairly cold in the house because we lost heat (around 50 F). Could is still be okay, or should i not take the risk and just toss it?

It'll be fine. Your nose will be a good guide. When you open the package if it smells weird or has any strong ammonia or other sharp odors then chuck it. Otherwise what the hell were you thinking? Grab a propane torch, heat up your favorite cast iron pan and sit in the dark feasting on bacon strips! What kind of goon are you?

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
I was recently in Egypt, and we had Fool (Ful, Fuul?) for breakfast sometimes. It was quite nice. A mashed fava-bean thing that was served with pitas.

Would this recipe be the most like eating it back in Egypt (with the knowledge that some places will make theirs different, I want to know if this is the 'basic')

http://www.food.com/recipe/fooll-mudammes-fava-bean-egyptian-breakfast-1601-1608-1604-1605-1583-1605-1587-18236 posted:

3 tablespoons oil
1 onion, chopped
1/4-1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, or more if you like
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (15 ounce) can fava beans, drained

Heat oil, add onion and cook for about 4 minutes.

Add tomato sauce, spices and salt, cook for 2-3 minutes.

Add fava beans, and mash it on low heat.

You can mash it finely or leave some fava beans whole.

Cover and cook for 5 more minutes.

Serve with pita bread.

Also, I found out my local grocery store does not sell fig jam =( That stuff is great.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Anyone have a generally accepted guide to roast chicken? Bought a chicken on a whim today and realise that I"ve never done one before.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Anyone have a generally accepted guide to roast chicken? Bought a chicken on a whim today and realise that I"ve never done one before.

There's lots of good roasting recipes, but make sure you brine it before you roast it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

There's lots of good roasting recipes, but make sure you brine it before you roast it.

Or not. I've brined maybe one chicken in my time, and I've never thought "hey, this roast chicken of mine really should have been brined" while eating my non-brined chickens.

Edit: I made this chicken last week. It's simple and delicious.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I'm attempting ribs in an oven since my grill is too small to smoke the amount I'm doing. I have a roaster pan with about an inch of water for heat moderation but it's still fluctuating between 190 and 250 and I'm aiming for a temp of 225. Do I want to average the min/max to find the desired temp? If so, it's currently averaging 220 and I'd be happy with 227 which would mean 195-260.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oxford Comma posted:

Brining is overrated. Just don't overcook it, and you'll be fine.

Diving Buttress
Aug 20, 2002

oh jesus christ
As a follow-up to the roast chicken question, what stupid thing am I doing wrong that I sometimes have red/pink liquid pooled in my chicken's cavity when it's supposedly done?

I've only had this happen 2 or 3 times. The thermometer always says it's fine (I even bought a new one to make sure it wasn't a faulty thermometer), and the juice running out of the meat itself is clear. We still ate it since the thermometer said it was OK, and it tasted fine (It was good, actually). Once I tried tipping the chicken and letting the stuff pour into the roasting pan in the hopes it would cook off, but it kinda "gelled" instead and I didn't want to risk making gravy from the drippings because it looked gross.

I've tried google and I've seen conflicting answers ranging from the bird's simply not done, or it's a harmless colored liquid leeching from the bones, and a suggestion this is caused by not letting the meat come to room temperature before putting it in the oven. Is that it? I confess I've gone directly from fridge to hot oven before, not knowing any better.

I'd like to cook a chicken soon, any suggestions on preventing this would be great. Did I eat undercooked chicken? Or maybe I just don't know any better, and this happens all the time and it's my ticket to flavor-town. All I know is my meat-phobic husband saw it and started ranting that if I ate the chicken, I'd surely die.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Brining isn't essential but I've noticed a definite improvement in the quality of my chicken when I brine it. Also, if you throw in some herbs and spices, it imparts a nice flavor to the meat.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I don't like the texture of brined poultry, personally. I prefer a firmer meat, so when I have time to cure a chicken or turkey I dry-rub it instead. Coarse salt by itself is good, but I usually add a little granulated garlic as well.

Usually when I cook a chicken whole, though, it's more of a "I bought this and I'm cooking it in ten minutes," in which case I rub with either oil and herbs or oil blended with citrus juice and stuff the cavity with herbs or halved/quartered lemons.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Don't cover it. Dry the skin off and rub it with salt and pepper. Stick whatever you want in the cavity, I usually use an onion and a few garlic cloves, lemon's good too. Put it on a wire rack over a pan to catch the drippings, and roast it at 450 for about an hour. It's hard to gently caress up and by using high heat and not covering it, you should get nice crispy skin and juicy meat. You could rub a little butter on the skin too to help it crisp, I've done it both ways. Never found the butter to be essential.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Grand Fromage posted:

Don't cover it. Dry the skin off and rub it with salt and pepper. Stick whatever you want in the cavity, I usually use an onion and a few garlic cloves, lemon's good too. Put it on a wire rack over a pan to catch the drippings, and roast it at 450 for about an hour. It's hard to gently caress up and by using high heat and not covering it, you should get nice crispy skin and juicy meat. You could rub a little butter on the skin too to help it crisp, I've done it both ways. Never found the butter to be essential.

Listen to this man, but depending on your setup there may be a fair amount of smoke.

But yeah, high heat is incredibly important to a good bird. That sonuvabitch is going to look like you can carve mahogany.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I made some wonderful red beans and rice. After I come out of my food coma, I was gonna store the rice separately from the beans... is this the proper way of doing it?

by proper I mean will my rice be a soggy mess or really yummy??

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 7, 2011

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So I'm going to make some proper chilli tomorrow largely using the OP of the closed threads recipe but due to who I'm making it for I'm thinking of altering it slightly. As I've never made it like this before I'd like some adivce on things in case I ruin it. I'm going to use Guinness since I've made quite a few beef stews and find stouts are good for it. Going to add onions and maybe a green pepper or 2 finely diced in addition and also possibly some Chipotle chili's in adobo sauce. Now, I've got a close approximation to blackstrap molasses but I'm wondering if that and the onions will make the chili too sweet? Also whether the Chipotle chili's in adobo sauce (I've never used these, bought them from a new shop thats opened and it says its a tomato and vinegar sauce) will go badly with the molasses? Everything else I intend to keep the same.

As an aside, I'm going to cook this later today for consumption tomorrow. I assume this is better than having it all prepared and just setting my oven to cook at the correct time for it to be ready?

Longinus
Jan 4, 2003
Wil is Nil
What are good ways to eat canned beans? I have a different variety of beans. I have ate them in a salad which was good.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I made some wonderful red beans and rice. After I come out of my food coma, I was gonna store the rice separately from the beans... is this the proper way of doing it?

by proper I mean will my rice be a soggy mess or really yummy??

Well, if you store the rice separate in the fridge, it will probably dry out and get a little hard; not the end of the world, but you'll probably get better results by mixing it with the beans. On the other hand, day old refrigerated rice makes the best fried rice the next day.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jasmine rice tends to last better in the fridge. When I make red beans and rice, I just store the red beans part of it and make fresh rice, then combine. I found it works better, there's just no way to keep rice from going weird in the fridge.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've got a bunch of pork spareribs I need to use up. I'm a little bbq'd out, and I'd like something that I can throw in the crockpot all day on Sunday while I wrench on cars. Any ideas?

Late and you've probably cooked them, but bakuteh! Oh my god, I miss bakuteh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bak_kut_teh

Wikipedia gets complicated about it, but if you are near an Asian market, try looking for pre-portioned boxes of herbs for Buk kut teh. My family just makes the soup (with extra herb packets because we like it strong) and dips baguette slices in it. So good.

Some times my family used lamb instead of pork. And there's also chikuteh, which is the same thing but with chicken.

Dammit, I need to get to a market.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Hawkeye posted:

I was recently in Egypt, and we had Fool (Ful, Fuul?) for breakfast sometimes. It was quite nice. A mashed fava-bean thing that was served with pitas.

Would this recipe be the most like eating it back in Egypt (with the knowledge that some places will make theirs different, I want to know if this is the 'basic')
Looks about right, although I'm surprised there's no garlic. (I have Sudanese in-laws, and they add a huge amount of garlic to their ful.)

Also, look for fig jam at Trader Joe's, I remember them having some fantastic stuff.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

geetee posted:

How long will lightly used and filtered deep fryer oil (canola in this case) last in the refrigerator? It's been sealed off from light and air. I haven't deep fried in at least 6 months.

If it's been 6 months, just dispose of it and get some fresh oil. Canola is pretty unsaturated which means it goes rancid faster than saturated fats like butter or coconut oil. Even if it's been filtered and sealed away it's not like canola oil is that expensive, just replace it.

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Just wanted to add that the most important thing besides maybe high heat for a crisp skin is really thoroughly drying the skin before you stick it in the oven. If I have time I like to let it sit uncovered in my fridge to really dry out.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Had grilled lamb heart that was insanely tender.

What would they have done prior to grilling to keep that thing deliciously supple?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I have 3 cups of whole milk in the fridge that is about to go bad. I have no idea what to do with it. Help please. 95% of my meals are rice and beans. The other 5% are things I eat at work.

Rice + beans + milk?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

IfIWereARichMan posted:

I have 3 cups of whole milk in the fridge that is about to go bad. I have no idea what to do with it. Help please. 95% of my meals are rice and beans. The other 5% are things I eat at work.

Rice + beans + milk?

I would just drink it, but I loves me some milk. Eat the rice and beans with a tall glass of milk, I say. (I'm not terribly clever though)

vvv Do that.

AllTerrineVehicle fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 7, 2011

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

IfIWereARichMan posted:

Rice + beans + milk?

Rice+milk = rice pudding. Very nice if you get some cinnamon and raisins in. Plus, there's a thousand styles to try out.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Longinus posted:

What are good ways to eat canned beans? I have a different variety of beans. I have ate them in a salad which was good.

Salads are a good start, and depending on the kind of beans you are talking about you could do a lot with them.

Black or Pinto beans could be used in Mexican style dishes. I don't think you could make good refried beans from canned, but I haven't tried. Bean dip on the other hand should be a possibility.

Kidney beans are traditional for chilis (that use beans)

Canolini(sp?) beans are large white beans used traditionally in Itallian soups and could probably be used in pasta dishes as well.

Green and wax beans can be used in applications like 3 bean salad, but I usually can't stand the texture of them canned myself.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
What can a man do with (freely acquired) pork belly and some basic vegetables?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

A jargogle posted:

What can a man do with (freely acquired) pork belly and some basic vegetables?

Braise it. Turn it into crackly bits. Eat it.

(brine for 12h, braise on super low heat, cool, slice, score fat, reheat in low temp oven, cook on high heat, broil for good skin)

Mutter
Nov 20, 2004
I can't even afford 10 fucking dollars.
Hi GWS, I would really appreciate some suggestions on what to do with the lovely Kabocha Squash I've got my hands on. I've never dealt with one before and would like to serve it when my parents are over to help me move. I'm fairly new to cooking so I probably shouldn't attempt anything too fancy. Any ideas?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I've never cooked with Kabocha, but I imagine it would amazing in this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3445761

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I recommend butterflying. It's very easy, cooks quicker and more evenly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-8tMEwBnSA

or quicker pictorial guide

http://deliciouslyorganic.net/how-to-butterfly-a-chicken/

Longinus posted:

This is really ghetto but canned northern beans and cubed spam is better than it should be. Not as good as homemade bean soup w/smoked ham hocks but works for a quick meal.

Canned black beans go well with a surprising variety of foods from rice, pasta, salad, dips, salsa, nachos, soups/stews/chilies, corn, anything with hamburger, and egg rolls.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Can anybody go back to the fauxgras thread in archives and repost the parsley gelee recipe here? I have a fuckton of leftover parsley so it seems like a good investment.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Make falafel instead!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mutter posted:

Hi GWS, I would really appreciate some suggestions on what to do with the lovely Kabocha Squash I've got my hands on. I've never dealt with one before and would like to serve it when my parents are over to help me move. I'm fairly new to cooking so I probably shouldn't attempt anything too fancy. Any ideas?

If you haven't the wherewithal to tackle that sucker with your knives (because kabocha can be a rather hard pumpkin to tackle), just roast it whole for two hours. It'' cook all the way through, and the skin and seeds will come right out.

Then, combine it with sauteed onions, your favourite pumpkin pie spices, and a bit of coconut milk & apple juice (to thin it out), and puree it for the silkiest, creamiest pumpkin soup you've ever had. If you'd like, feel free to sprinkle in a bit of cinnamon, maple syrup, and cardamom. It's quite lovely on its own, but the addition of the spices brings something else out all together.

JustNorse
Feb 10, 2011
Restaurant questions seems to be ok to ask, and this isn't worthy of a thread so I'll put it here. I seem to be headed to Barcelona for a few days, any suggestions on a do not miss restaurant? I'm not looking for where is the 5 star stuff, more the these people run an amazing place with really good food (preferably Spanish oriented) kind of thing that you won't find as easy by google or guide books.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

dino. posted:

If you haven't the wherewithal to tackle that sucker with your knives (because kabocha can be a rather hard pumpkin to tackle), just roast it whole for two hours. It'' cook all the way through, and the skin and seeds will come right out.

Then, combine it with sauteed onions, your favourite pumpkin pie spices, and a bit of coconut milk & apple juice (to thin it out), and puree it for the silkiest, creamiest pumpkin soup you've ever had. If you'd like, feel free to sprinkle in a bit of cinnamon, maple syrup, and cardamom. It's quite lovely on its own, but the addition of the spices brings something else out all together.
Gonna do this later this week with my kabocha. What temperature should I roast at? 400º? Thanks!

Speaking of squash, how long can a hard-skinned squash last? I've got an acorn squash that's nearly a year old, but has no soft spots or discoloration. If I cut it open, will it be full of mold and eldritch horrors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart factory
Sep 28, 2006

SHREK IS COOL
So I've got 3 pork loin steaks and a bunch of bacon. Any recipe ideas for this? Maybe some sort of sauce, I'm probably going to wrap the loin in bacon and serve it with mashed potato and some green veg, unless anyone has any sweet suggestions.