Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Alereon posted:

Keep in mind that since you're copying from a drive that's failing, any system problems due to corrupted data are going to remain after you image the drive, since the data will still be corrupted until you reinstall.

From the other thread, the drive only has a single reallocated sector (for now) so cloning the drive should still be relatively safe. A month from now? Maybe not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

grumperfish posted:

From the other thread, the drive only has a single reallocated sector (for now) so cloning the drive should still be relatively safe. A month from now? Maybe not so much.

How serious is a reallocated sector and how safe is it for me to continue using my desktop until I can replace the HDD?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

StickFigs posted:

How serious is a reallocated sector and how safe is it for me to continue using my desktop until I can replace the HDD?

Honestly, just one sector is not necessarily bad. If it stays at one, your drive shouldn't have a significantly higher chance of failure than if it had none.

If it ticks over to 2 (including from Pending Sector Count and Uncorrectable Sector Count, as those and Reallocated sectors together count the number of bad sectors on the drive), then the risk of failure is much higher, in the sense that we would now know this drive is on the fast track to dead town. If and when this happens, you don't want to rely on the computer for storing anything important. If you have a backup, you can keep using the drive, but be aware that a complete failure could be coming shortly.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
I mean, it's not good, and the number will very likely increase over time.
Ideally you wouldn't use it at all, but you can continue to use it for awhile with the caveat that each additional reallocated sector equals cumulative corrupted data on your drive. The data loss is quasi-random, to the point that maybe you'll lose one of your animu pics, or maybe you'll lose a critical OS file instead.

Also the longer you continue to use it, the less likely you'll be able to clone to a new drive instead of doing a full reinstall. If you don't mind doing a complete OS refresh, and you have all of your important data backed up, then it's not a problem and you can continue using it until you can replace the drive & reinstall.

Edit: took too long typing.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So 7 reallocated sectors = dead drive coming?

Got an older 1tb with 7 sitting there. Doesnt have anything vital on it; but not good to hear either.

edit: Warranty is good until the 28th of the month; just going to go ahead and RMA it once I've got it backed up.

Walked fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 7, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Yes. It's already dead. It just hasn't stopped spinning yet.

grumperfish posted:

I mean, it's not good, and the number will very likely increase over time.
Ideally you wouldn't use it at all, but you can continue to use it for awhile with the caveat that each additional reallocated sector equals cumulative corrupted data on your drive. The data loss is quasi-random, to the point that maybe you'll lose one of your animu pics, or maybe you'll lose a critical OS file instead.

Also the longer you continue to use it, the less likely you'll be able to clone to a new drive instead of doing a full reinstall. If you don't mind doing a complete OS refresh, and you have all of your important data backed up, then it's not a problem and you can continue using it until you can replace the drive & reinstall.

Just to clarify, Reallocated sectors don't have any data loss. That's the count for bad sectors successfully read and put elsewhere in the drive's spare area. It's uncorrectable sectors where data loss has occurred.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
^^^
This is more accurate. It's indicating a possible failure, but your animu pics are safe for now.

Walked posted:

So 7 reallocated sectors = dead drive coming?

Got an older 1tb with 7 sitting there. Doesnt have anything vital on it; but not good to hear either.
Yes. RMA it if it's under warranty. If there's anything you want off of it (you said nothing vital but just in case), get it fast.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
Speaking of hard drives, I'll hopefully be finishing my first build tomorrow. An SSD isn't in my budget right now, but if I get one down the road, what's the best way to copy a windows installation from an HDD to an SSD short of reformatting and reinstalling everything?

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
So does this mean that the problems I was was experiencing in my original post may not be due to the dying HDD if reallocated sectors means nothing horrible has happened (yet)?

Or could these issues still be a result of something bad with my HDD?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

StickFigs posted:

So does this mean that the problems I was was experiencing in my original post may not be due to the dying HDD if reallocated sectors means nothing horrible has happened (yet)?

Or could these issues still be a result of something bad with my HDD?
That I do not know for sure. It sounded like a PSU issue but that was ruled out. Replacing the HDD will help in the long-term. Your original issue though was that games were going to a black screen after periods of low usage/cutscenes, which could point to a problem with the card, maybe with voltage changes at different GPU load levels?

It might be a good idea to make a HOTS thread with the original question & your system specs/relevant information.

Stump Truck posted:

Speaking of hard drives, I'll hopefully be finishing my first build tomorrow. An SSD isn't in my budget right now, but if I get one down the road, what's the best way to copy a windows installation from an HDD to an SSD short of reformatting and reinstalling everything
Clonezilla or Acronis Disk Director (this will preserve partition alignment). You'd then run the Windows Experience Index after the disk is cloned over.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 7, 2011

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

grumperfish posted:

That I do not know for sure. It sounded like a PSU issue but that was ruled out. Replacing the HDD will help in the long-term. Your original issue though was that games were going to a black screen after periods of low usage/cutscenes, which could point to a problem with the card, maybe with voltage changes at different GPU load levels?

It might be a good idea to make a HOTS thread with the original question & your system specs/relevant information.

The black screen wasn't actually happening during playing a game it was happening when I had a bunch of browser windows/folders open in regular Windows which probably means it doesn't have much to do with the GPU.

The problem with games is also just isolated to TF2 so far with that specific error message (as far as I know, I haven't been playing many games lately.)

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

grumperfish posted:

Clonezilla or Acronis Disk Director (this will preserve partition alignment). You'd then run the Windows Experience Index after the disk is cloned over.

Is WEI actually an important thing for computers to run well? I always assumed it was just an e-peen meter

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Stump Truck posted:

Is WEI actually an important thing for computers to run well? I always assumed it was just an e-peen meter

Windows uses it to detect an SSD and enables TRIM.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need a little help from Boxee users. Would it be a good option for a 60 year old woman who is mildly tech savvy as a cable replacement? She has service through Frontier (they bought FIOS from Verizon) and they keep hiking the price for tv service. Has anyone else set up their parents with one?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

grumperfish posted:

I have some info to provide here (it's not good):.

Just wanted to say thanks to you and the others who helped me out. In the end the card is indeed fried but still I appreciated the help. Turns out all my fretting over the heatsinks not sticking resulted in me moving one of them and conntected 2 black chips together. Removed heatsink and retried, still no dice.

Oh well, lesson learned but I am far better equipped to do this kind of thing in the future.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

MikeC posted:

Just wanted to say thanks to you and the others who helped me out. In the end the card is indeed fried but still I appreciated the help. Turns out all my fretting over the heatsinks not sticking resulted in me moving one of them and conntected 2 black chips together. Removed heatsink and retried, still no dice.

Oh well, lesson learned but I am far better equipped to do this kind of thing in the future.
Sorry it turned out toasted, but it's good you'll be able to build past it. In the other thread you asked about the PSU & GPU -- Crossfire 6870's are faster than a single 6950, but it's pretty relative. Up to 1080p a single 6950 will rock, and it leaves you open to getting a second one of those later on if you even need to (you won't, not any time soon) rather than being stuck on 6870's. The PSU will be fine even if you end up doing a full PC rebuild, assuming 2500K, etc.

Replacing GPU cooling gets easier with practice. I toasted an x850pro (cracked the GPU core) awhile back but once you know what to look for it's not that hard. There's definitely alot of room for error though, so when looking at a new card, grab a 6950 with a decent cooler. You'll only need a 1GB version.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

grumperfish posted:

Replacing GPU cooling gets easier with practice. I toasted an x850pro (cracked the GPU core) awhile back but once you know what to look for it's not that hard. There's definitely alot of room for error though, so when looking at a new card, grab a 6950 with a decent cooler. You'll only need a 1GB version.

Just out of curiosity and for future reference how exactly did you crack it? did you screw the new heatsink on too tight? This is one of those things that you sort of get contact and its done with?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

MikeC posted:

Just out of curiosity and for future reference how exactly did you crack it? did you screw the new heatsink on too tight? This is one of those things that you sort of get contact and its done with?
The x850pro used ATI's older mounting setup (more narrow than the HD1900> series'). The problem with this is if you used an aftermarket cooler like the V1 Ultra that I was using, it was very easy to put too much pressure on one corner. It basically took a chip off of the exposed GPU die, which was more than enough to kill the card.

With most modern coolers and wider modern mounting setups, unless you have something under the heatsink mount or blocking the heatpipes, it's very difficult to overtighten a single corner. So it's really nothing to worry about as long as when you're installing a GPU cooler, even the stock cooler, tighten each mounting screw a little at a time in sequence. Never fully-tighten one screw before moving onto the next one.

Also, be 100% sure you have clearance before you install an aftermarket GPU cooler, especially if you have a non-reference card, as aftermarket GPU coolers and waterblocks are nearly always designed for reference cards (unless they're sold as "universal" coolers/blocks where it's less important to have a reference card). As long as nothing is in the way of the mounting setup, fins, and heatpipes, you're generally good to go.

E: When I broke the x850pro I was stuck on an old 9000pro for awhile. Put the V1 on it and overclocked to insane levels. Played through Chronicles of Riddick and MW4 with it, so it wasn't all bad.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 9, 2011

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
I'm on an Asus P8Z68-V LX, with a Rosewill Challenger case. I noticed that when I plug in headphones to my front headphone jack, it's fine if there's no sound, but once I start a game or something it starts crackling. I updated the chipset and audio drivers when I set up Windows yesterday so I'm really confused. My speakers plugged in the back audio ports work just fine. The headphone/mic cables for the case had one plug labeled "HD Audio" and another labeled "AC'97". I plugged the HD Audio one into the audio port on my motherboard, and left the AC'97 one dangling.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Could be a lot of interference inside the case, or you have it plugged in wrong. If the former, no way to fix it.

Does it ever work ok; as in just playing sound t the desktop? Could be your video card or any number of unshielded things, those internal audio cables are pretty much at the mercy of anything electrically noisy in your case.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 9, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MikeC posted:

I destroyed a 6870 last week (?) trying to put on my Accelero S1. Everything mounted well and seemed to be fine because it booted up without issue, but whenever I started Battlefield 3 the computer would just shut itself down with no warning, instantly. Lesson definitely learned. At least my replacement Sapphire card has a fan that is noticeably quieter than my Powercolor's. I should have just returned the Powercolor to the store because of the fan instead of trying to aftermarket a solution v:(v

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Martytoof posted:

I destroyed a 6870 last week (?) trying to put on my Accelero S1. Everything mounted well and seemed to be fine because it booted up without issue, but whenever I started Battlefield 3 the computer would just shut itself down with no warning, instantly. Lesson definitely learned. At least my replacement Sapphire card has a fan that is noticeably quieter than my Powercolor's. I should have just returned the Powercolor to the store because of the fan instead of trying to aftermarket a solution v:(v

Did you ever uncover the cause of malfunction? At least I found out where I shorted it. I mean tons of people get aftermarket stuff on the cards and they work great so while it has been a hit to my wallet (I had to buy a new card for 200 bucks and have a 60 dollar cooler unused) it will not discourage me from future attempts.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Sounds like bad vrm cooling (bad contact with the sinks). Power problem usually = immediate shutdown, other bad cooling usually causes artifacting of slowdown

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Not sure if this is the best place for this but I didnt want to start a new thread.

Has anyone been having issues with the latest ATI drivers? A friend and I have both been having display freezing/crashes since updating. It'll just freeze up for awhile and then start up a bit later, is my graphics card dying or are the newest drivers just total poo poo?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Too Poetic posted:

Not sure if this is the best place for this but I didnt want to start a new thread.

Has anyone been having issues with the latest ATI drivers? A friend and I have both been having display freezing/crashes since updating. It'll just freeze up for awhile and then start up a bit later, is my graphics card dying or are the newest drivers just total poo poo?
No, I haven't been having trouble with my 6950, 4850, or 4870 since updating, thanks for asking.

What GPU model(s), what power supply do you have, which catalyst drivers did you update to, did you do a clean install or an in-place upgrade, are you using the CCC or just the display driver? Does it glitch out when gaming or on the desktop? Do you have a custom fan profile, and are you overclocking? What OS? What BSOD codes are you seeing?

Details man, details.

Also, maybe this would be better for HOTS.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Recently my WD Caviar Black 500GB hdd has been very noisy lately, and I have a feeling it may be slowly dying. I don't remember it making this grinding noise so often. The drive is a little over two years old.

Here's a screen of crystaldiskinfo:

http://i.imgur.com/3DBHX.jpg

What are other ways to check if it might he failing? :confused:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

WD has its own disk-checking tool, Data Lifeguard I think it's called. Try running that and see what it says.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Who knows anything about setting up keyboard macros? As you may know, Skyrim's controls are, in fact, complete garbage, and I'm forced to use macros to bind the numpad keys for movement and such.

Sidewinder x6 keyboard, using the Intellitype software, I've managed to get them set up but the problem is this, I can either set it up so that pressing the key I've bound for up moves me a micro step forward, but holding it down does nothing more, or so that simply tapping any of the directions set them on auto pilot and will keep going in that direction until I hit something else. I just want to make them act like regularly pressing WASD

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Why would I want a video card with 2 GB of vram instead of 1?

I'm looking at replacing my video card, and I can't tell if the ~60$ price jump to a 2GB card is worth it.

For reference, my current rig is an i5 2500k, with an ATI 4870 1GB, 4GB ram and a 1920x1200 monitor.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Why would I want a video card with 2 GB of vram instead of 1?

I'm looking at replacing my video card, and I can't tell if the ~60$ price jump to a 2GB card is worth it.

For reference, my current rig is an i5 2500k, with an ATI 4870 1GB, 4GB ram and a 1920x1200 monitor.

Anandtech: 1GB vs 2GB does it matter?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So essentially the 2GB cards are meant for dual/triple displays? Excellent, I won't waste my money on that then.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

unless you are rocking 2560x1600 or up, don't even consider it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can someone tell me why CPU sockets have varied wildly in pin count over the last few years? What are all those extra pins for?

For instance, 775 vs 1366.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

On-die memory controller is largely responsible for that, probably.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are current video cards limited to 4-way SLI/CF? I've see a few articles about mutli card with dual GPU cards but none of them use more than 2x2.

Any technical reasons why >4 may be difficult to implement from a software side?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Shaocaholica posted:

Are current video cards limited to 4-way SLI/CF? I've see a few articles about mutli card with dual GPU cards but none of them use more than 2x2.

Any technical reasons why >4 may be difficult to implement from a software side?

I can't speak to the software implementation itself, but there are a number of other hurdles.

1) Even 2-card SLI/CF isn't yet a perfect experience. There are still issues like finicky driver problems for new release games, microstuttering, and poor scaling in some titles.

2) Bandwidth/latency issues on the PCI-E bus. The current champ for enthusiast PCs is the LGA 1366 Core i7 family, which can work with 32 PCIe 2.0 lanes. While x8 PCIe 2.0 per card is just fine for up to ~2560x1600 resolution or smaller multimonitor setups, at higher resolutions or 3x1080p you start hurting for bandwidth and thus getting lower framerates. This definitely applies to dual-card setups, where if you split 8x lanes between two high-powered cards, you're only getting 4x lanes per GPU.

You can use a bridge chip like the NF200 to act as a PCIe switch, and it helps a little, but it hardly makes up all the difference. Sandy Bridge E, with its 32 PCIe 3.0 lanes (double the bandwidth again on PCIe 2.0), will do better on this front, but it will take a while for appropriate hardware to become common and affordable. A PCIe 2.0 card like a GeForce BadDecision 590 won't get any extra bandwidth just from being plugged into a Sandy Bridge E board.

3) Physical space in the computer. How many people really want 100 lbs. towers taller than their desks for those EATX or XL ATX or HPTX motherboards? I don't think there's even a common motherboard standard that can handle more than 4 dual-slot cards in the first place.

4) It's extremely difficult to deliver the quantity of power that so many video cards would require and manage that heat in a single computer, especially without it sounding like a vacuum cleaner. It's also not the easiest or most convenient thing in the world to run dual power supplies or run a geothermal cooling line directly to your PC.

5) Market issues. First, who would buy that? Certainly someone, but enough people to justify R&D costs? And then segmentation. Why allow someone to do 8x-SLI with some cheap cards and get their rocks off that easy? Make 'em bleed for it with two cards with enormous markups if they're that crazy.

6) What the gently caress are you doing that could possibly need more than quad SLI? Play Crysis?

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

StickFigs posted:

I have a Corsair HX550W for my PSU. I tested my RAM with Memtest for up to like 120% and no errors and I'm not overclocking at all.

I guess I'll try CrystalDiskInfo now.

EDIT: Looks like there is something potentially wrong with my main HDD:

What does "Reallocated Sectors Count" mean?

Reviving this issue again. I downloaded SeaTools which is SeaGate's diagnosis utility for their hard drives and ran all of the tests and the drive passed all of them.

Is SeaTools bullshitting me or is my drive actually healthy afterall?

Also in regards to my screencap of CrystalDiskInfo, is there any way to find out WHEN the "Reallocated Sector" happened? I want to know how recently it was.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MikeC posted:

Did you ever uncover the cause of malfunction? At least I found out where I shorted it. I mean tons of people get aftermarket stuff on the cards and they work great so while it has been a hit to my wallet (I had to buy a new card for 200 bucks and have a 60 dollar cooler unused) it will not discourage me from future attempts.

No, not really. I was still within my 14 day replacement period so I just slapped the stock sink back on, screwed it in and returned it as defective. I can't honestly say I'd even begin to guess where my mod went wrong, especially since it would boot with no problem, display video, but only shutdown immediately when launching BF3. It worked fine before the mod too, so I have to assume I did something wrong.

Not a big deal, but it did teach me that it's probably safer if I don't mess with my equipment unless it's absolutely necessary. Like I said, the stock heatsink fan was defective so I should have returned it anyway.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

StickFigs posted:

Reviving this issue again. I downloaded SeaTools which is SeaGate's diagnosis utility for their hard drives and ran all of the tests and the drive passed all of them.

Is SeaTools bullshitting me or is my drive actually healthy afterall?

Also in regards to my screencap of CrystalDiskInfo, is there any way to find out WHEN the "Reallocated Sector" happened? I want to know how recently it was.
Seatools is bullshitting you, once a drive has experienced a single hard error (like a reallocated sector) the drive has begun to fail and the errors will multiply until it dies completely. There's no way to see when the error occured, but that drive is pretty old so it's not really surprising it's failing. You can read the Google Labs paper Failure Trends in a Large Disk Drive Population [PDF], it's a bit older now but has the foundational research that still shapes our understanding of how drives fail. Prior to this study it was assumed that a normally functioning drive would experience errors at some low rate over time, which is why SMART has values that count down as errors are experienced and only actually throw a warning when the drive has logged an extreme number of errors.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Alereon posted:

Seatools is bullshitting you, once a drive has experienced a single hard error (like a reallocated sector) the drive has begun to fail and the errors will multiply until it dies completely. There's no way to see when the error occured, but that drive is pretty old so it's not really surprising it's failing. You can read the Google Labs paper Failure Trends in a Large Disk Drive Population [PDF], it's a bit older now but has the foundational research that still shapes our understanding of how drives fail. Prior to this study it was assumed that a normally functioning drive would experience errors at some low rate over time, which is why SMART has values that count down as errors are experienced and only actually throw a warning when the drive has logged an extreme number of errors.

Thanks for the info, I was a little weary of relying on SeaTools as it is afterall made by the same people who made the disk. Looks like I better back my poo poo up ASAP then.

• Locked thread