Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Dominic White posted:

So, today I wrote a bit about the source-port/freeware fan-release of Forsaken. A fairly fast and arcadey Descent clone released in 1998. The source-port doesn't change much (just adds modern resolutions and solves compatibility issues), but it's a neat little LAN game, and it's now for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Just don't even try playing it if you suffer from motion sickness. It WILL kill you.
I have seen that in action and wanted to get it for the longest time. I think I'm going to now.

Speaking of Descent, a multiplayer night on that would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I don't know much of anything about DOSbox and I bought Blood from GOG and can't figure out how to increase the clock speed in-game to make it run smoother. Any easy way to do that?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
You should upgrade dosbox before you fool with the clockspeed, GOG ships an older version and it's quite a bit faster now.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Thanks for the heads up on that title... I only played it once at a LAN ages ago and always felt it wasn't "quite right" compared to Descent.

That Forsaken port works really well. Unfortunately it made me realize that I'm done with the "high end" flightstick I have now, so I just dropped 30 bucks on a new Logitech 3D Extreme Pro (my favorite cheapo stick of all time). Granted, it's more to play Cliffs of Dover which is pretty inexpensive right now, but having a good stick to play through Forsaken doesn't hurt.

Not to mention giving Descent another shot using Rebirth or D2XL or whatever the ports are. I certainly wouldn't mind playing any of these on one of these play nights.

just wait until my stick comes in, kay?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Dominic White posted:

So, today I wrote a bit about the source-port/freeware fan-release of Forsaken. A fairly fast and arcadey Descent clone released in 1998. The source-port doesn't change much (just adds modern resolutions and solves compatibility issues), but it's a neat little LAN game, and it's now for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Just don't even try playing it if you suffer from motion sickness. It WILL kill you.

I remember getting a free copy of Forsaken when I bought one of the Turok games way back when for the PC and dismissed it as a Descent rip-off. I may have to try it again now and give it another chance.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Zeether posted:

Speaking of Descent, a multiplayer night on that would be awesome.

I'm up for this, though I assume most people who own Descent have it on GOG, so I vote for Descent 2. This weekend (and multiple times throughout the week), I believe, will be Unreal Tournament by popular demand.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Is there some sort of master list that keeps track of the player base of all multiplayer games on the PC? It would be interesting to see them all side by side to see how many people still play multiplayer on older games.

I'm aware of the server lists on GameRanger and I love what GameTracker is doing. Is there anything else out there?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

tooooooo bad posted:

I don't know much of anything about DOSbox and I bought Blood from GOG and can't figure out how to increase the clock speed in-game to make it run smoother. Any easy way to do that?

Update to the most recent dosbox.

Once you've done that, you can manually adjust the clock speed with ctrl-F11/F12, but the autodetection in recent versions is generally quite good at figuring out the fastest clock rate it can safely run at.

essobie posted:

Not to mention giving Descent another shot using Rebirth or D2XL or whatever the ports are. I certainly wouldn't mind playing any of these on one of these play nights.

D2X-XL is the current state of the art with support for D1 and D2, coloured lighting, D2 bot AI in D1, and whatnot - basically, a new engine.

DXX-Rebirth is meant to be a straightforward port to modern systems without new features or backporting D2 features to D1. This is not so much a new engine as an update of the old engine to run on modern systems.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I have never gotten D2X-XL to work properly because of the way you have to install it. There's this ridiculous folder structure you need to have and I've done it right yet the game still just flat out doesn't work. DXX/D2X Rebirth works fine though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zeether posted:

I have never gotten D2X-XL to work properly because of the way you have to install it. There's this ridiculous folder structure you need to have and I've done it right yet the game still just flat out doesn't work. DXX/D2X Rebirth works fine though.

"Unpack D2X-XL, then drag all your D1/D2 data files into that directory" is ridiculous? :confused:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

"Unpack D2X-XL, then drag all your D1/D2 data files into that directory" is ridiculous? :confused:
It wasn't just that, even with the directory set up the way it was the game had issues running. I forgot what it was, but I remember trying a version someone had set up properly and none of the textures showed up, resulting in a bunch of untextured surfaces. I'll see if I can get it working again.

e: Well I'll be a Red Fatty's uncle, it loving worked. I have no clue what I messed up on, but it showed textures and all. I must have done something wrong while setting up the game directories. The only issue is the textures flicker a lot and the sound seems to crackle when there's explosions. Other than that, it works good.

I'd still use DXX though because the fancy effects in D2X are a little distracting.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 6, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
So, gentlemen. I give you Unreal Tournamet '99, starting now. Please partake in the group chat room.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fat_old_men

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Holy poo poo, Forsaken went free and open-source? I still have the N64 version of that, poo poo was hot fire back in the day.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

WickedIcon posted:

Holy poo poo, Forsaken went free and open-source? I still have the N64 version of that, poo poo was hot fire back in the day.
It's pretty drat good. I hate how the single player mode throws you into a timed map right off the bat though.

Also it seems like single player was basically tacked on because you can pick any map and the game strips your weapons after each one. I'd try multi but it never can connect to the host, probably because I have to open ports.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 7, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Zeether posted:

e: Well I'll be a Red Fatty's uncle, it loving worked. I have no clue what I messed up on, but it showed textures and all. I must have done something wrong while setting up the game directories. The only issue is the textures flicker a lot and the sound seems to crackle when there's explosions. Other than that, it works good.

You probably didn't mess up anything. D2-XL is a huge trainwreck that constantly breaks every other release, so you probably just got an off version that wasn't working right.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

You probably didn't mess up anything. D2-XL is a huge trainwreck that constantly breaks every other release, so you probably just got an off version that wasn't working right.
Could have been.

Also, playing UT made me realize the music rocks. I need to pick out the sound modules and listen to them via ModPlug.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The berzerk executions are so fun to watch in Brutal Doom... but tactically speaking when is it a good idea to use the berzerk fists? It always feels like I'm putting myself at risk just to see some sweet gibs.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Minidust posted:

The berzerk executions are so fun to watch in Brutal Doom... but tactically speaking when is it a good idea to use the berzerk fists? It always feels like I'm putting myself at risk just to see some sweet gibs.

You're invincible while doing them (but not taunting afterwards) plus you get 10 health after each execution. If you're not getting shot by a bunch of hitscan dudes, go ahead and do it. If I'm surrounded by weak melee enemies I like to spam the poo poo out of it, since I'll take around five damage before I murder someone and get double that :black101:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

bbcisdabomb posted:

you get 10 health after each execution

:aaaaa: How did I not know this?!

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
You gain even more when taking out larger enemies. Pound a few rockets into a Baron of Hell, then tear his rear end up (literally). :black101:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Brutal Doom hath updated!

quote:

- Added many extra fatalities for almost all monsters, including the Revenant, Cacodemon, and Demon.
- Revenant Rocket Launcher is full working. Use a Chainsaw to rip the weapon from a dead body, or explode it's chest if you already gibed him with the Rocket Launcher or BFG.
- Flame Cannons can be ripped from the Mancubus corpse with the chainsaw (Only if the body was not burned with plasma)
- *** (Die Hard Bug Fixed) *** Fixed an old bug during fatalities that could make the camera script don't initialize during the execution animation
- *** (Die Hard Bug Fixed) *** Added a mini health regeneration that will never let the player's health fall to 1. So, the player has a minimum health of 2, to prevent deaths caused by blood on screen on effects.
- A new sprite for Chainsaw that looks like the original one, but much smoother.
- BFG got it's old splash damage radius from earlier versions restored, but this will only deal damage to player if it hits a wall or the ground or ceiling. Hiting enemies will only cause damage to the player if it's like 1 metter of distance from the monster. Plus, the weapon got a visual upgrade (Now you have a reason to call it the BIG loving Gun)
- Plasma splash damage will only harm the player when hitting a wall or floor/ceiling.
- New fire particles for torches, burning barrels, and other fire sources.
- New sprites for candles and candelabras.
- Polished the gently caress Yourself hand sprite.
- New flares.
- Many player death animations were polished.
- Now Revenants can perform fatalities on players. (by Gothic)
- Polished the sprites for zombieman and imp fatalities.
- New futuristic-looking sprites for Rifle and Shotgun (by Mike12)
- New Plasma Deaths to some monsters (by Mike12)
- *** (Die Hard Bug Fixed) *** Invulnerability Sphere will not loose it's effects after performing a fatality (Thanks to jpalomo for finding the solution.)
- Added new animations for players when jumping/falling from heights, or selecting the fists.
- Players will not keep looping the spawn animations when holding a barrel, or have health under 25.
- 3D models for water splashes that makes it look more realistic.
- Nerfed plasma headshots.
- Added a bit more blood to the Xdeath gibs, so it won't look too much clean like before.
- *** (Die Hard Bug Fixed) *** Fixed a bug with weapons reloading infinitely.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Finished Deathwish, a pretty incredible ride all together. I've been building for over a decade now but some of the stuff there makes me feel ashamed even though it's not even for the same game. It also reminds how tough Blood is, the only way Duke3D gets tough is if you stick a shitload of enemies in the same room.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I love how Deathwish's method of pointing you in the right direction is to throw large groups of zombies at you. Most :black101: arrows ever. Needs fewer green robed cultists though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The Acolytes are the best! They're completely inept and usually end up killing themselves and/or anything around them instead of you. Better than the loving Fanatics though. Those Tommy-gunning bastards take your health down in a second.

e: something I just noticed though, on the Extra Crispy difficulty all types of Cultists and Acolytes throw full bundles of TNT at you instead of the weaker single sticks of dynamite. it's really loving hard but fun as hell in co-op

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

The Acolytes are the best! They're completely inept and usually end up killing themselves and/or anything around them instead of you.

Yeah, I like fighting them a lot more than the hitscan enemies. Those single sticks of dynamite don't do a huge amount of damage, are very visible, and are nicely telegraphed. And as you pointed out, they do tons of collateral damage, too.

Also, on the subject of Brutal Doom V13 - my favourite version so far. Liking the new weapon sprites (not 100% sure on the perspective on the BFG though), new monster-weapon, chainsaw surgery system and autofire rifle (and autofire restored to the shotguns) all add up to something very satisfying.

I also like the return of the splash damage from BFG and Plasma, but only against walls - no more lost souls making you kill yourself with energy weapons, but still a bit of risk using them.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 8, 2011

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is updating Brutal Doom as simple as replacing the .WAD/.PK3 file targeted in the .INI file? I can just load up my save games after that and pick up where I left off?

Also thanks to everyone for expounding on proper Berzerk usage! The health-gain stuff was a real revelation.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Minidust posted:

Is updating Brutal Doom as simple as replacing the .WAD/.PK3 file targeted in the .INI file? I can just load up my save games after that and pick up where I left off?

You should be fine updating, yeah. Some stuff might behave a little weirdly until you change level/die, though.

ChurlishToff
Oct 24, 2010

BRONY SPOTTED
A couple of pals and I were going to have a LAN game of Blood going through Deathwish. Using the launcher, how would I go about setting this up?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Dominic White posted:

You should be fine updating, yeah. Some stuff might behave a little weirdly until you change level/die, though.
Right now the game keeps crashing on me, when I use the save from the previous version of Brutal Doom. What's my best option here? New game and a cheat code to skip levels?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Minidust posted:

Right now the game keeps crashing on me, when I use the save from the previous version of Brutal Doom. What's my best option here? New game and a cheat code to skip levels?

Probably. Most levels are designed to be beatable even from a pistol start, and the Brutal Doom rifle (especially now it's automatic) gives you a boost on that front, too.

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.
Brutal Doom really breaks the balance of most classic maps however, with monsters being able to reach places they weren't able to before, being way more aggressive in general, and so on. Some maps go from pretty tricky to drat impossible. Don't even think of playing the late Scythe/Alien Vendetta/Hell Revealed/etc maps with it!

Pretty refreshing however, it gives a new life to the easier map packs and obviously, Ultimate Doom.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

ChurlishToff posted:

A couple of pals and I were going to have a LAN game of Blood going through Deathwish. Using the launcher, how would I go about setting this up?

I couldn't tell you how to do it using the launcher but we were able to play Death Wish in co-op using the Meltdown launcher. If you give me some time I might be able to get to my laptop to figure out what we did but hopefully someone else can chime in.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

The Kins posted:

You appear to be lost. You're looking for the Modern FPS Megathread. :V

Source is coming on close to 8 years old, and as far as I'm aware NMRIH was planned before HL2 was even released.

It's not quite as old as Goldsrc but it's getting there. It's only through constant updates that it manages to stay relevant.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

We can all thank steam for milking THE gently caress out of HL2, HL2 mods, and the source engine. Truly I have never seen another game utilized as such.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Vaos posted:

Brutal Doom really breaks the balance of most classic maps however, with monsters being able to reach places they weren't able to before, being way more aggressive in general, and so on. Some maps go from pretty tricky to drat impossible. Don't even think of playing the late Scythe/Alien Vendetta/Hell Revealed/etc maps with it!

Pretty refreshing however, it gives a new life to the easier map packs and obviously, Ultimate Doom.

Late Scythe is a recipe for instant death, but early Scythe is really really good with Brutal Doom. I just did a run of Scythe last week up to whatever map Terror is and it was a blast. The secret and super-secret levels are hard as gently caress in Brutal, but they manage to not feel cheap.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

bbcisdabomb posted:

Late Scythe is a recipe for instant death, but early Scythe is really really good with Brutal Doom. I just did a run of Scythe last week up to whatever map Terror is and it was a blast. The secret and super-secret levels are hard as gently caress in Brutal, but they manage to not feel cheap.

I almost gave up on Scythe's secret-map-within-a-secret-map on UV and Brutal Doom. The first room isn't so bad--the usual strafing around and trying to get monsters infighting as much as possible. But that second room? After you figure out a way to kill 4 Hell Knights without killing yourself to splash damage weapons? Then you've got a clusterfuck of Demons, trash-enemies spawning in, and more HKs while you wait for the elevator to come down. It took me a long time to figure out how to get through that without killing myself to Plasma Rifle splash damage.

I still submit that Scythe's "Anger" map is impossible on UV and Brutal Doom. :colbert: Or very, very close to it.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
In V13 plasma splash from enemies won't hurt you, should make that sort of thing much more tolerable now.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Source is coming on close to 8 years old, and as far as I'm aware NMRIH was planned before HL2 was even released.

It's not quite as old as Goldsrc but it's getting there. It's only through constant updates that it manages to stay relevant.

Still, Source engine is a part of the actual "modern FPS" games, also HL2 is from 2004 and this thread stops on 1999 (Quake 3 released on Dec '99). Deus Ex isnt even here being from 2000. Im not meant to be picky but looking closely at what we have here, anything past that era is QUITE different.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, I don't want to cause any drama or anything, and it looks like a great mod, but this thread's just focusing on a certain time frame. Sorry.

I'm sort of tempted to let Deus Ex in since it uses a largely untouched UT99 engine, but it has enough activity for its own thread that pops up regularly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SavageMessiah posted:

In V13 plasma splash from enemies won't hurt you, should make that sort of thing much more tolerable now.

Yeah, a pretty smart change if you ask me. Plus, apparently you can recover Revenant rocket launchers and use them (a la Mancubus' Fire Cannon) now? It's only a matter of time before we can shove our hands into an Arachnotron's brain and use him like a Plasma turret.