Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I remember playing 3 games in a single day when I was a kid, though it wasn't for AAA. For A, maybe AA--I can't remember, but tournaments with two games in a day were pretty common. Playing tournaments owned as a kid, though I think I enjoyed running around the hotel with my teammates more than I did playing hockey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
One of the things about tournaments, though, is that the games are usually shorter. By beer league standards, they're just as long (an hour) but when you're used to playing hour and a half or 2 hour games, playing 2 or 3 hour long games, while admittedly draining, is no where near as bad as it sounds.

One of the teams I played on, we had an arch nemesis team in our league that we could barely ever beat in league play, but could (somewhat) easily beat them in tournaments. However, they were "built" to be extremely strong in league play, while we were built as a "tournament team". That is, conditioning was one of the most important factors in our practices. As an example, we would do all our conditioning drills at the very start of practice so that we were practicing on "3rd period legs". Hell, we often have a bunch of conditioning drills done at the end of practice as well. On the opposite side, the other team was having much easier (from our point of view) practices where the emphasis was much more on systems. So, on the Sunday of a tourney, we would go out, still be able to play our game with no changes because of the shape we were in, while they would struggle.

I miss practice :(

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Need a new sr sized stick to compliment my int sized one. For around 99 what should I get?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Get the Tron stick discussed earlier. It's the best stick ever and you should buy it.

But make sure you come back and tell us if it's any good.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Haha I live next to their store (hockeytron) maybe I'll buy it and report in. They make an elite and a 405 gram, any thoughts?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Acethomas posted:

Haha I live next to their store (hockeytron) maybe I'll buy it and report in. They make an elite and a 405 gram, any thoughts?

Get the Elite, it's supposed to be 418 grams anyway. Why pay $30 extra for just 13 grams off?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Acethomas posted:

Honestly, I'd be happy if you went down and checked out their gear and reported back to us whether or not their poo poo was made from cardboard. A sub-450 gram stick for $100 just seems too good to be true.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
I've been there plenty of times, their stuff is okay, seems similar to my Megalyte stick, which is a rebranded warrior. The curve selection isn't great but I am not a heavy curve guy. Only thing I worry about is how long they'll last.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Earlier in the week, we told you about a new line of hockey gear being released by Bauer Hockey, the Bauer Nexus product line. Today, we have our first glimpse of the new gear, as the Bauer Nexus 1000 ice hockey skates were leaked out. As expected, the Bauer Nexus 1000 skates have a much more traditional look, with details a bit reminiscent of the old Bauer Supreme 8090 skates. Of course, the Nexus 1000 skates will have all the top end features that you would expect from a pro line of gear. As far as fit goes on the Nexus 1000, you can expect a wider boot than the Supreme line, and it looks like its going to provide a bit more depth as well. Great news for fans who love Bauer products, but have feet that don’t quite fit the other two lines.
The Bauer Nexus 1000 skates will hit retail store shelves in June, 2012. Until then, check out the picture below of the Nexus 1000 and let us know what you think!

http://www.hockeyworldblog.com/2011/11/05/bauer-nexus-1000-ice-hockey-skates/

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Good. I have some older tacks and I like the "classic" hockey skate look.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

Defense is an important position and you have to make sure that the other team doesn't score first and then you can score because the best offense is a good defense I hate you :smith:

I still play D for my div 1 team. I get how unappreciated a shutdown D is. A goal prevented is the same as a goal scored, but one gets significantly less high fives.

I just thought it would be a nice change of pace to play forward for my div 3 team. It's interesting seeing the game from such a different perspective. I've also realized that I'm probably a little too demanding on my forwards' defensive positioning when I'm playing D. There's a LOT more skating and you get caught out of position - it just happens. I'm enjoying forward a lot more than I thought I would. It definitely helps that my speed which can barely keep up with guys in Div 1 can blow past everyone in Div 3.

Someone posted a youtube video a couple months back about double faking (either showing pass, faking shot then going with the pass; or showing shot, faking pass and shooting). Essentially since you've already seen your target from your first option, when you fake, you'll still know where that target is when you switch again. (Sorry for the lovely explanation) Anyways, I've been working on that for a while and tonight I had a 2 on 1 and was looking shot the whole way and at the last second looked to pass, but still shot on net. The goalie totally cheated to the pass and I ended up having such a wide open net, I hit the middle bar. It ended up being the game winner. Pretty awesome feeling to work on something and then pull it off in game. Thanks goons.

If anyone has any more scoring tips/youtube videos, keep posting away. There was another one about pulling the puck in close just before shooting and that move's been golden for me too.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Team was up 7-5 with 3:30 left in the game. They wound up evening it up with 0.6 seconds left, when our entire team was in their offensive zone trying to score on an open net, leaving two cherry pickers by our goalie.

Anyway, apparently overtime is 3 v 3. It felt kinda good that they stuck me out there to play the "stay at home D." I guess my team feels like I'm coming along better than I thought. Wound up winning like 15 seconds into OT when my D partner rushed up and sniped a corner.

I'm seriously considering getting one of those Tron sticks as a backup. I mean, it can't be any worse than the 8 year old 110 flex Synergy that I currently have ... right?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm finally going to commit some of the financial bs to this ice hockey thing. By this christmas I'll have a pair of new skates (since I assume that's not something you get used). And, i'll see what I can do about getting used just about everything else.

Since I have never skated in my life, and eventually want to play hockey, what is (sorry) the cheapest skate that I won't regret owning? Are the Bauer Vapor x 3's too cheap?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

Since I have never skated in my life, and eventually want to play hockey, what is (sorry) the cheapest skate that I won't regret owning? Are the Bauer Vapor x 3's too cheap?

Not necessarily. Cheap skates certainly aren't going to be built of high durability materials, but if the skate is comfortable and in your price range, it will get the job done. You just have to go into it with the knowledge that the skate won't last for eternity.

The other thing to consider is boot stiffness. Lower end skates have softer boots, which a newbie will find more comfortable. Higher end skates can on the other hand can be painful because they're so unyielding.. you really have to skate hard to get them to flex.

Generally $250 is when skates start to get decent. If you can afford a $250 skate, I'd recommend it. But a cheap skate is better than no skate if it's all you can budget for.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm finally going to commit some of the financial bs to this ice hockey thing. By this christmas I'll have a pair of new skates (since I assume that's not something you get used). And, i'll see what I can do about getting used just about everything else.

Don't focus on a particular skate, you need to try on a bunch and see what works for your feet. If $150ish is your price point every manufacturer should have a skate around that level of more or less equal quality. I started out with the Vapor X:20 which I think the 3.0 replaced and it was OK but I ended up upgrading after a year so if you know you'll stick with it you might consider dropping like $200-250 on your first pair and they might last you a little longer.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

cenzo posted:

I'm seriously considering getting one of those Tron sticks as a backup. I mean, it can't be any worse than the 8 year old 110 flex Synergy that I currently have ... right?

Me and two people on my team are going to split a 3 pack since it brings the cost down to $60 or something for the stick thats supposed to be comparable to an S15. Worth trying I guess

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Lost 5-4 last night in a disappointing game. They had a couple of goals off of lucky bounces and we couldn't catch a good bounce to save our lives. whomp freaking whomp.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have vapor x:20s and so far I don't have any complaints after almost a year of wear. Obviously if i had spent a hundred bucks more I would have gotten a much better skate, but it was all I could afford at the time. I wouldn't push someone towards spending $300+ on skates simply because I don't think a new skater would be able to tell anyway.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
drat awful app double posting. I should also clarify that I don't necessarily think someone new couldn't tell the difference between cheap and expensive skates, more that the benefits would be much less tangible for someone who is just learning.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

Doctor Butts posted:

Honestly, as with snowboarding, what you put your feet in is the last thing I would cheap out on. I would put the largest part of your budget towards skates.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
If you really want to play hockey, the biggest turnoff is having ill-fitting skates that just end up causing you pain and money in the long run. The thing you do most when you play is skate so spending as much as you can on comfortable well fitting skates is the most logical thing to do. I just picked up new skates and they weren't an upgrade but a company switch and the difference in comfort is night and day. My old skates felt like they were actively trying to rip my ankle off and these new skates feel like I'm on pillows.

Edit for reference: I just picked up the Mission Axiom T7s for ~$299.99 and I feel 100% that I don't need a higher price point skate ever.

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 7, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Just remember: A luxury, once sampled, becomes a necessity.

You don't need $600 skates, but make sure you spend enough money to get a boot that will last you a few years. A good skate won't improve your game or make you any more comfortable, but a bad skate will ruin the whole thing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I think that $150 skates are fine for a beginner, especially Bauers. My first "adult" hockey skates were Bauer Vapor VII (about $130 -7 years or so ago) and they served me well until I was good enough to understand what I wanted in a skate. I splurged on a higher end boot a few years down the road and noticed the differences but never was I disappointed with my $150 skates. They served their function for being a solid skate for the price and getting me into the sport. I still actually have those skates at my girlfriends parents in case we go play out there.

If you can, I always suggest spending a little more on a skate if possible, but at the beginner level its not crucial. Anything is better than what you are going to find at the local Sports Authority, Dicks, etc... they generally have a skate price max of $100 in which everything seems like junk. In my experience, a good beginner skate should be in the range of $150-200. They will be more than adequate for the skill and level of play that most people getting into the sport should need. The other thing about hockey is that it takes time to learn, people aren't going to be pushing their gear to the limits in the first year or even two.

If someone has the budget to move up a level in skates from the X3 to the X4, awesome. But If the X:3 is what you can afford and you are buying used everything else to afford that skate, It should make a fine choice.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
sticking with skatechat, how do you guys usually clean your skates? I have an old pair that are real funky and I'd like to make them not smell (Also like to try to keep my new skates from getting funky)

I read about a 1:3 dilution with 70% Isopropyl and water but I fear of ruining the inside of the boot.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I just air them out. I've never really had a problem with funk or w/e, washing them sounds like it's not worth the trouble.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Doctor Butts posted:

By this christmas I'll have a pair of new skates (since I assume that's not something you get used).

Not necessarily true! Some people have good luck with used skates and swear by them. Lots of skates you find at used sporting goods stores have the same stories behind them: this pair was received as a gift but didn't fit, that pair's owner bought them, used them at the park district's open skate a few times and then gave up on skating when they had a bad fall, etc. Retailers selling new skates won't take them back once they've been sharpened.

One of our subs got a nice pair of Nike Bauers used at a pretty significant discount from the new price. They were basically new, and the previous owner was some kid whose divorced parents each bought him the same exact pair of skates for Christmas. Usually what you'll find are the "current" models from 2-3 years ago because that's how long unused skates tend to linger in closets before being traded in.

On the subject of other gear, the one thing you should probably NOT buy used is a helmet.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Or a jockstrap.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Gio posted:

Or a jockstrap.

gently caress, beaten.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

I just air them out. I've never really had a problem with funk or w/e, washing them sounds like it's not worth the trouble.
They're mostly plastic, so water won't hurt them. The padding is designed to deal with sweat already, so clean water shouldn't be an issue there either.

The real problem is how to do it.. you can't exactly toss them in the washing machine.

Maybe one of those sink hoses with the tap set to hot water? Flush them out once or twice and let them dry out.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Something I used to do with rock climbing shoes that might work for skates is to take an old sock or some pantyhose or something and fill it with baking soda and tie off the open end and leave it in the skates while you're not using them.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

poo poo I bought a used helmet a while ago- but only use it for ball hockey (goalie)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Used skates rule. Learned to skate on some used 452 Tacks and just picked up 900+ dollar skates for $132. If you can't go used, go last year's model when they're heavily discounted if the timing is right.

Used skates are the best.

Lost 7-5 last night, I'm playing like a real rear end in a top hat. I have no idea what my team is doing and am having trouble integrating into their 'don't get the puck deep, instead just make passes at the blue line with 30% success rate'. I feel like I'm open, I'm yelling that I'm open, but they just cant find me or send the pass so lightly that someone can skate 1/3rd of the way around the zone and pick it off.

At least I was 70% on my draws last night and only let them get 2 set plays off once I realized who their scorer was and what they were going to do to get the puck to him.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The only place I know around here that sells used anything is Play It Again sports and even then its mostly Jr. stuff. Any other places might have good resale stuff?

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Doctor Butts posted:

The only place I know around here that sells used anything is Play It Again sports and even then its mostly Jr. stuff. Any other places might have good resale stuff?

I got my Bauer One40's on Ebay for 26 bucks. They are quite awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

Craigslist or ebay would be my guess.

There's a handful of websites out there that deal in used hockey gear too. Obviously you miss out on the opportunity to try it on if you go this route.

In the spring, many NHL teams have a pro stock sale to get rid of junk as the season ends. May not be able to get skates, but gloves and similar stuff will be common.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
I've committed in my head to getting a Tron stick now, but I'm going to see if they do any pricing drops ahead of Christmas or offer their normal 20% off deal but allow Tron items for once.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Dangerllama posted:

Just remember: A luxury, once sampled, becomes a necessity.

THIS, my pro-deals on CCM Vector sticks ruined me when I was 17, I cant use anything but 1 piece sticks now.

And skates, the pro-deal 8090s I got for $150 put me in a new skate bracket and now I cant go back.

Corner Gas had an episode about it, where one character brings some nice wine for dinner and they end up not being able to drink their gallon jugs of wine anymore, so they try and get her back but keep failing.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

D C posted:

THIS, my pro-deals on CCM Vector sticks ruined me when I was 17, I cant use anything but 1 piece sticks now.

I think that's why I cling to my Grip-lite shaft and my eight year old Easton Inferno skates. Once that shaft is gone, I pretty much only have the option of moving onto the expensive one-piece sticks. And they don't even make my line of skates anymore :(.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Awesome Animals posted:

I think that's why I cling to my Grip-lite shaft and my eight year old Easton Inferno skates. Once that shaft is gone, I pretty much only have the option of moving onto the expensive one-piece sticks. And they don't even make my line of skates anymore :(.

I spent $700 on sticks last week, bought the last 3 Warrior Widows in the curve/flex I use from Warrior Canada, I hate myself.

The sticks are soooooo good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The worst is guys at the rink are constantly trying to get you addicted with a free sample.

They show up with their super light whip and are all "check this stick out man, just take a couple of shots with it, it's awesome how light it is" while I'm out there with my 5030.

I've gotten good at backing out, claiming I don't want to risk damaging their $150+ investment. I just keep on convincing myself that all I need is a wood stick, and so far it's going okay.