Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Sion posted:

I hate getting out of work when it's dark can I blame the tories for that too?

They are actually working on making this worse right now with the proposed move to permanent GMT+1 time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

They are actually working on making this worse right now with the proposed move to permanent GMT+1 time.

Please tell me that you're not being serious.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Daius posted:

Please tell me that you're not being serious.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15490249

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Oh whoops, I didn't even have it the right way round! It's for darker mornings, not evenings.

Blame the tories for sinking the typical level of British political discourse below fact checking.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
I've got a Humax Freesat HD digibox thingy wotsit and have recently connected it to the internet with an ethernet cable.

iPlayer on a big 50" screen is a wonderful invention even if the UI is a bit poo poo.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Pablo Bluth posted:

4oD isn't working; drat you internet :argh:

If you're using one of those pre-made HOSTS files for blocking ads and that, take out the realmedia.channel4.com entry.

Trin Tragula posted:

Why do people have to keep loving about with things that work? Why can't they just leave well alone? The bit of the iPlayer redesign that's really annoyed me is that they've got rid of the "big but not full screen" window size. Whose clever idea was that?
The same reason that all working IT projects get arsed about with - a shiny new manager of some sort has been appointed somewhere that has authority over it and wants to piss up the metaphorical lamppost.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This looks like it could be very interesting

quote:

BBC to open vast radio archive online

The service is being developed for launch “within the next 12 months”, said Tim Davie, director of BBC Audio and Music. "Audiopedia", its working title, may yet become its formal name, he added.

“The BBC is working on how best to present Audiopedia at the moment but most people will probably access the new on demand content via other pieces of related content they are already listening to across the BBC website,” he explained.

The website will represent the biggest release of BBC programming on demand since the iPlayer was introduced in 2007.

As well as searching and listening to the archive, "Audiopedia" users will be able to share programmes with their friends.

The BBC is in the process of digitizing its audio and TV archives. Currently around 20 hours a week of Radio 4 archive is being added to "Audiopedia". Davie the process was being run at a “small cost to the tax payer” and that the website will be “porous” to other broadcasters’ content.

He told The Telegraph: “Audiopedia will not be a closed library. We will link to other broadcasters’ content.”

The initiative was announced by Mark Thompson, the BBC’s Director General, at the annual Radio Festival in Salford.

He said: “Imagine a world in which all the content the BBC created was available online and, critically, linked to and shared with numerous partners.

"A sort of 'Audiopedia' that would give listeners access to much of our speech content and which listeners would be able to search for by programme, subject or person… so 'Audiopedia' is an internal name for the project, but a very good one, that plans to create a searchable, ever-expanding archive of radio and audio content.

“The content would be searchable by subject, participant or programme, bringing together thousands of hours of unique information and entertainment to stream and download.”

"Audiopedia" will build on the 500 archive episodes of Desert Island Discs that have been made available online since March 2011 and have generated five million downloads to date. A further 500 episodes will be made available by the end of the year.

Other programmes have followed suit including Melvyn Bragg’s In Our Time, as well as every series of Reith Lectures since 1948.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
If this lets me get back all the one-off stuff that used to be available on Listen Again that disappeared when iplayer turned up, I shall be very happy indeed.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Flatscan posted:

It's not that I'm against this course of action in the slightest, but is there a particular reason why?

General misunderstanding of how the people and the economy works; A forced push for austerity, that's at best stagnating the economy and at worst driving us back into recession whilst fooling the population with spin and buzzwords and outright misinformation; Lying in bed with News International who are hell bent on destroying the BBC (forgotten sky already have we?). Take your pick.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Kerbtree posted:

If this lets me get back all the one-off stuff that used to be available on Listen Again that disappeared when iplayer turned up, I shall be very happy indeed.

I hope it includes all the Adam and Joe and Collins and Herring podcasts as well.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kin posted:

General misunderstanding of how the people and the economy works; A forced push for austerity, that's at best stagnating the economy and at worst driving us back into recession whilst fooling the population with spin and buzzwords and outright misinformation; Lying in bed with News International who are hell bent on destroying the BBC (forgotten sky already have we?). Take your pick.

Yes, but how does any of that have anything to do with the recent iPlayer redesign?

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Flatscan posted:

Yes, but how does any of that have anything to do with the recent iPlayer redesign?

The Tories made iPlayer poo poo because David Cameron himself designed it specifically so us, the poor, can't watch what we want without getting pissed off because it doesn't work very well.

I don't know.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
lol if you need a reason to blame the tories for anything, ever.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Flatscan posted:

The BBC couldn't afford a good designer.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I remember reading some really interesting blog posts by the guy who redesigned the iPlayer last time round and came in with the thought 'No-one wants to have to use a desktop application for this poo poo'. He seemed pretty insightful.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Kin posted:

This is true because the new and upcoming BBC website is abysmal and a mess. Even though the current chamfered boxes look isn't amazing, it's much easier to read and for your eyes to sort than the new, Windows 8 inspired web design.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Kin posted:

Anyone else, Kin, and I'd think they were joking.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

thehustler posted:

Also we had to change all our radio mics at work too. Which was annoying.

I felt really bad for a soundman I worked with because he'd bought a load of second hand radio packs only to be told by Ofcom that he couldn't use them for much longer, and he'd missed the rebate window to get some money back for his license.

Which is pretty poo poo really (we still used them don't tell the government :ssh:)

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

This looks like it could be very interesting

I hope this means that at some point I'll be able to listen to BBC radio shows offline. It's annoying I can't download them to the iPlayer like shows.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Brown Moses posted:

Audiopedia stuff

If this means they'll put all of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue online then I will be ecstatic.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Just watched the Making of Lifes too Short and Im so excited for this. Warrick Davies is so happy to make fun of himself.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
God I'm sick of the Marks and Sparks Xmas ads already. Who the gently caress are these people?

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

BizarroAzrael posted:

God I'm sick of the Marks and Sparks Xmas ads already. Who the gently caress are these people?

A friend of mine put it on Facebook yesterday, I cannot understand how anyone thought it was a good idea.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
My local Co-Op has loads of signs hanging from the ceiling with 'Christmas is here', and tons of Christmas offers. What sane person would buy an advent calendar and mince pies on 1st November?

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Pablo Bluth posted:

My local Co-Op has loads of signs hanging from the ceiling with 'Christmas is here', and tons of Christmas offers. What sane person would buy an advent calendar and mince pies on 1st November?

I'd buy mince pies because I loving love mince pies

Dunno about the calendars though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Well in fairness, they'll want to sell the advent calendars in the next 3 weeks or so.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

BizarroAzrael posted:

Well in fairness, they'll want to sell the advent calendars in the next 3 weeks or so.

Yeah, but Tesco have had the advent calendars out since the first week of September.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
My local co-op have had the mince pies out for at least a month, same with the snowman chocolates.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Brainwrong posted:

I've got a Humax Freesat HD digibox thingy wotsit and have recently connected it to the internet with an ethernet cable.
I need to get a longer cable to try this.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Ban all Christmas advertising until 1st December.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Mostly to me. My family had a weird weakness for advent calendar chocolate. Bars of the stuff can sit in the house for weeks, but put a wee scrap of cheap chocolate behind a cardboard door and we'd knock down our granny to get to it first.

I still hate all this early Christmas stuff though. Especially that godawful M&S advert.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The National Trust gets Christmas cards out in their shops in June/July. And a little bit of me dies every day I turn up to work and see them on the shelf.

Luckily there's a few months between us closing and Christmas actually taking place for my anti-festive humbug to subside.

eclipse
Mar 12, 2003

It's gone rather dark all of a sudden...

goatface posted:

My local co-op have had the mince pies out for at least a month, same with the snowman chocolates.

The Co-op mince pies are pretty good though. Mind you my position on mince pies is very much like that of Phil Mitchell and crack.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm glad that someone else has no idea who any of the people in the ad are.

Also two of them have a strangely messed-up way of pronouncing "star" and it gets to me every time.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
My birthday is in the middle of November, and the long standing tradition is that nobody gives a poo poo about Christmas until after that. I propose we roll that system out nationwide. Nobody give a poo poo about Christmas until next Friday at the earliest.

Aw hell, I just remembered we have the singing Iceland adverts to look forward to.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
As long as DJ Santa stays away from the Wheels of Steel this year I think I'll cope, just about.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The best bit of christmas is the seasonal BBC1/BBC2 program introduction video things (can't think what the proper name is) with all the kids in reindeer costumes and whatever :3:

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I bought a chocolate Santa to cheer my flatmate up in September from Lidl.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Dr Snofeld posted:

My birthday is in the middle of November, and the long standing tradition is that nobody gives a poo poo about Christmas until after that. I propose we roll that system out nationwide. Nobody give a poo poo about Christmas until next Friday at the earliest.

Aw hell, I just remembered we have the singing Iceland adverts to look forward to.

All about December 1st, or as I like to call it day 1 in my "christmas movie thon". Traditionally it is Earnest Saves Christmas.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Mine is the 28th. So I depressingly age at the end of every year pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

josh04 posted:

I remember reading some really interesting blog posts by the guy who redesigned the iPlayer last time round and came in with the thought 'No-one wants to have to use a desktop application for this poo poo'. He seemed pretty insightful.

The technology blogs can be really interesting, it's just infuriating the way they post incredibly smug nonsense as if they were the first people to come up with the concept of an iPad app or whatever.

Brainwrong posted:

iPlayer on a big 50" screen is a wonderful invention even if the UI is a bit poo poo.
At least it's consistent across devices (not that the BBC have a choice thanks to the BBC trust).